Starting May 29th!

AbbieP

Hi everyone! We are on day 7! How is everyone doing? I am experiencing the fatigue today they mentioned in the book. Probably from not having all that sugar. Thankfully it's a lazy Sunday and not a work day. I still managed to prep some things for the upcoming week. I learned that cooking fat doesn't count as the fat you include in each meal!? This is allowing me to stay full longer and less reliance on snacks. I just figured that out today. I hope you are all doing well. 

Yes - I also am experiencing the fatigue, but I'm still waking up several times through the night.  Seem to be having some allergy issues (itchy watery eyes, and constant stuffed up or runny nose).  Overall doing better, but was glad to mark down that I successfully completed week 1! YAY!

Hi there, Not really sure how to do this forum thing but I started on the 29th too, this is my second Whole30. Did one last year a little earlier in the spring with great results, lost that belly flab/muffin top business and about 10 pounds too. Eventually through the year, ramped back up to my old habits. Mostly lazy eating, too much drinking (wine every night) and back pain which prevented me from working out. Feeling disgusted and sorry for myself, my self-confidence was crap and I feel like I walked around with an aura of negativity around me that everyone could see.

Anyway, on day 8 now and already 1,000x better. Belly already gone, back pain is better too. No real negative "carb flu" symptoms or anything like that. Truthfully, I'm not a terrible eater in general, I was just doing much more digging into the bag of goldfish on the counter or shoving a few squares of salted dark chocolate in my mouth after dinner, adding cheese to everything, Drinking wine while watching tv most nights. My daughter has celiac (my other two kids don't) so our meals are generally gluten free anyway... 

5!!!  graduation parties this weekend...not drinking was the hardest part but I made myself a seltzer with a few limes and was good. I mostly wanted to go home after awhile, but forced myself to stay. One of the parties, I encountered a few other girls on their versions of a spring cleanse too (Atkins, etc) so we hung out together...Going to the Cape with a friend for a girls overnight and already getting grief. She said that we should reschedule! She's not even that big of a drinker! I promised her I'd still be fun, we have a ton of catching up to do. She's just going to have to deal. 

Happy Monday to you all, make it a good one! --Joanne

Joanne - The last 2 sentences of your first paragraph sounds very familiar - I could have written them about myself.   There was nothing specific I was doing wrong, just a whole lot of little bad habits adding up, to paint a picture of feeling totally crap, and feeling completely negative about myself.

Good Job on surviving the grad parties - keep on keeping on.... Not sure why others think we automatically can't have a good time if we forgo a drink?  Good Luck and Happy Monday to you!

p.s. totally sick of eggs for breakfast - going to need to come up with a better alternative for a quick breakfast I can throw together at work in the morning. If you have any quick go to's that you would recommend let me know! 

We made it to Day 8! I'm so proud of us! I hope everyone's weekend went a little better than mine did. I definitely had a couple challenges.

My internet (and, therefore, my cable) went out last Wednesday, and AT&T has not been able to resolve my issue since then. This meant that on Friday evening after work (when I would usually go out to happy hour or dinner and drinks), I was not able to even go home and distract myself from going out with friends by choosing to watch a movie or TV or shopping online. I'm such a millennial that I can't survive without internet :rolleyes:. I read a book instead and was forced to go to sleep by 9 every night this weekend which is a good thing (silver linings). The internet is still not fixed, and I have found ways to entertain myself without using technology which is much better for me than watching TV right before bed. I also found that the time I spent meal prepping for the week was much more enjoyable, and I appreciated that fact that it kept me entertained. I also found that I was really pumped for my pilates and spin classes since I felt like I had much more time over the weekend. Unplugging was somewhat of a relief. 

I did see my mood change a little bit though--probably as a result of the food changes. I was very quick to become irritated when the AT&T technician never showed. I realized that when I started to feel a lot of anxiety about it, I had just finished working out (high-intensity spin class) after having a small breakfast (I can't eat a lot before working out without feeling nauseous), and it was around lunch time. Once I ate a full, well-balanced meal, I felt 100 times better and was able to handle the situation with a much more level head.

Hopefully, the AT&T people will be able to fix it today, but I will make sure to eat well before dealing with them if they don't come through for me :).

I don't know how to reply to an individual post (I'd love to know) but Mysirap, this morning I had leftover chicken soup. I had a hamburger hash one morning with chopped leftover veggies. If it's not eggs, avocado, spinach and carmalized onions, it's leftovers. I tend to save anything left over and make "bowls" to go. I make those mason jar salads too which save me at lunch time. I should be doing some of that right now, it's my day off and I have to be ready for my week by the time the kids get home from school! 

Is anyone else an "all or nothing" person? I feel like this kind of thing isn't as much toture for me because I'm mentally all in. The problem is when it's over, to maintain good habits that work for my lifestyle. I'm either going to the gym all the time or not at all. I just wish I could be more steady...

Joanne - you did reply to an individual post! thanks!

Great ideas - so basically any leftovers for breakfast will pretty much do.  I'm not having so much trouble with lunches (I usually do dinner leftovers from the night before, or leftover protein thrown into a salad.    Thanks for the ideas!  Good luck with your meal prep - I'm only managing roughly two days of meals at a time...  but the prep is the part that I'm finding takes the most work for sure.

Each week, I would generally poach a package of organic chicken breast  and chop - use some in stock for a quick soup, some with homemade may for chicken salad, and a wild salmon filet for a salad and salmon cakes. keep some baked sweet potatoes on hand because they take a long time to cook if you don't have a speed cooker and come in really handy to fill an empty belly. Also, try (if you haven't already) smashing hard boiled eggs with ripe avocado to make the most delicious egg salad. You don't need to add a thing to it except a little salt and pepper. 

Day 15....Where did everyone go? Had a family reunion on Saturday and knew it would be a challenge finding something to eat. Luckily a veggie and fruit plate were there (though no compliant meat. I'll fix that one next year. Lol) Best of a bad situation. It surprisingly kept me from the cake, chips and rice krisky bars.

Tomorrow (if on schedule) we can look forward to Tiger Blood!

Hello 5/29 starters! I'm still here after 16 days!  I think I can make it! only 2 more weeks!  Last night I made some amazing ground turkey taco bowls with cauliflower "rice."  I found the recipe on Pinterest.  I was worried I would hate it, cauliflower has a strange smell, but I mixed it in with the meat mixture and topped it with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and salsa.  It was SO good! Also, we went out for Mexican last Saturday night and I had delicious shrimp fajitas.  It was SO good to eat out and stay on plan.  I also made the sweet potato soup from Whole 30 for dinner on Friday night.  So yummy!  I'm going on a road trip this Friday, but the family we are visiting are also on Whole 30 due to food sensitivities, so I won't be tempted by foods that are not compliant.   Good luck everyone with the remaining 2 weeks! hang in there, one meal at a time!

Hey Team!! I'm still here too! It's going well so far. I was able to go out to a restaurant last week and decline my usual beer and fried foods. For those of you who know what BJs is... man, the pizza smelled sooooo gooood. Today at work, we had a potluck. I came prepared with the lunch I packed but was able to have the fruit salad (that I brought), some of the crudite, and broccoli salad (that was brought by another Whole30 eater). 

As far as improvements in my life so far, I have notice a HUGE improvement in my skin and inflammation. When I treated myself to a facial last weekend, my aesthetician told me that my skin was glowing. Additionally, I sprained my ankle back in January and found that up until the Whole30, it would still swell from sitting/standing at my desk all day long. Over the past two weeks, I have not had any swelling in my ankle!

This weekend I will be hanging out with my family for Father's Day, and my mom has already planned to make me Whole30 food all weekend. Since I will not be able to meal prep, I plan to order a Whole30-compliant food delivery service. During my last weekend, I have a bridal shower to attend during which I had originally (before I even started Whole30) to planned to go off Whole30, but now that I am totally invested and read all the books, I will be seeing this through to the very end!

Hello All - yup still here as well, made it through Day 16.... Have attended a few social functions, and brought my own food, but prepared something that was relatively close to what was being served so that my job was easier.  Both meals being served were relatively healthy, but unfortunately due to the addition of things like butter, and a few other non-compliant ingredients, I was not able to eat them, and I didn't want hosts adjusting their meal plans for me.  Did well.  Missed being able to have a glass of wine with dinner, or dessert - but overall I was happy to stick to plan, and was not tempted to cheat.  Smells can be tough - like pizza, and fresh bread, etc - but I find I just appreciate them as smells, and do not feel as though I want to break plan.

Like Abbie - I have also noticed an improvement in my skin and eyes looking healthier and brighter. Have noticed my clothes are fitting better.  I'm sleeping ok, not a huge change there, still wake up at least once through the night, and don't like getting up, but once I'm up and moving energy level is pretty good.  

Has anyone else who suffers from nasal congestion, or seasonal allergies, found that they still continue to be congested?  Not sure if it's just me, but it has been ongoing since before I started the Whole30 and it's still hanging around.  Worst in the morning.

I have to mix up some of my meal ideas, or add a few new ingredients, as my salads are getting a tiny bit boring.  Very difficult to find any kind of compliant dressings, so sticking with compliant ingredients to make my own.  

Other than that - just sticking to plan....staying  motivated by the changes I've noticed so far.

Good luck for the next two weeks!

Hello Everyone... was day 21 a tough one for anyone else?  I haven't had any serious issues the entire time with wanting to cheat... I have been 100% compliant, and while I have missed certain foods, especially when at a social function... yesterday wasn't that kind of day - I was at home, and from the time I got up, I was not interested in any of my options, I didnt feel fulfilled with my healthy choices, and while I stuck to plan, and ate healthy balanced meals, by dinner time, I was almost crying when faced with eating my dinner (zucchini noodles with meat sauce)..... 

Having said that, family was eating bacon and egg on english muffins for breakfast - and the smell of bacon... and the site of cheddar cheese... yes, I will admit I was pretty envious compared to my two poached eggs, tomatoes with a side leftover potatoes.  I didn't want to cheat - I just didn't feel excited about my dinner options.

Also the past few days I haven't felt 100%, had a headache all day yesterday, and low energy.  Generally pretty grumpy and out of sorts... made me wonder if I had eaten something yesterday that was non-compliant at a family dinner, but when I reviewed what I ate, everything had been prepared by me - and I didn't have anything that wasn't compliant.

Hoping today will be easier....

Am going to try to find some new ingredients for my salads.... and homemade dressing options to see if that helps this week.  

Hoping everyone else is doing ok.. would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced something similar.

• Moderators

@Mysirap food boredom is pretty common around this point in whole30. Look for new recipes and try to make your food a little more exciting, or if there was something you made early on that you really loved but haven't made again, make that.

Personally, I get bored with salads pretty easily, so i don't really eat them that much, but you might find some ideas here to change them up some: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/ 

Or do salads more like these, with your protein on the side: https://meljoulwan.com/2014/05/21/paleo-summer-salads-potlucks/

That same site has lots of sauces and dressing recipes as well: https://meljoulwan.com/?s=Dressing. I love the zingy ginger dressing, I put it on leftovers to change them up when they start to get boring, as well as on salad. 

I definitely stay away from salads because I would get sick of eating them all the time. I have to venture into making Italian dressing so I eat them more often though.  I do eat a lot of cole slaw (recipe was in the whole30 book. Don't remember if it's the regular or cookbook though). Eggroll in a bowl is another favorite that I eat a lot.

I have noticed that this round I haven't gotten rid of the aches in my joints as much as the first attempt.  So been double checking my ingredients as I use them to make sure nothing has snuck in. Might have to go past 30 to get the benefits I did before. Time will tell I guess

If you're still looking for a home made compliant dressing I would highly recommend Dump Ranch by Whole Sisters.  This has really gotten me through the past 3 weeks.  One week to go, we can do this!  I wasn't sure I could make it but now that I'm so close to the end, I know I can do it!  

Only 2 more days to go! I hope everyone is doing well! I'm so proud of us for making it this far. What is everyone's first reintroduction food going to be? I think I'm going to have a deliciously well-crafted gin or tequila cocktail (gluten-free, of course).

I can't believe I made it this far!  the end is in sight.  I have NO idea what I will do for the reintroduction.  I guess I will take it one day at a time, just like the past 28 days!  I'm going to Puerto Rico for a wedding, so it may be interesting!

Archived