Hello! I'm on day 9 of my first W30 and things are going pretty well so far, except I've had some cystic acne flare ups over the past few days.  I have a history of adult acne issues but have been relatively clear for the past 2-3 years.  I am familiar with flare ups related to diet changes, so I'm hopeful things will clear up again before the end of the 30 days, however I've been doing some reading on here about BPA in canned foods, specifically coconut milk, which may be a trigger.  I admittedly went down the internet rabbit hole and now I'm questioning all canned versions of coconut milk, even BPA-free since it's not always clear the BPA replacement is healthy (I know I'm probably overreacting, but figured it wouldn't hurt). 

So my question is - has anyone tried any of the "pure creamed coconut" bars/jars out there, and are they essentially the same thing as coconut cream you get from the top of a refrigerated can of coconut milk? Can they be used in the W30 Ranch Dressing, for instance?  Additionally, does anyone have a substitute for coconut cream in the W30 Ranch Dressing that wouldn't come in a tin can?  Clearly the W30 Ranch is a favorite of mine!

Sorry for the long question, and I appreciate any insight out there.  Again, I know this is an extreme reaction, but I'm just curious more than anything. Not necessarily going to cut out all tin cans :).  Thanks!

• Moderators

You can make your own: https://wellnessmama.com/2447/homemade-coconut-milk/

Also, there are coconut milks that come in tetrapacks -- look for Aroy-d brand on Amazon for one example. I think those are bpa free and should contain nothing but coconut.

I think the jars you're talking about are more like coconut butter. You'd use it more the way you'd use almond butter or something like that.

Sorry to bring a possibly unpopular opinion to the party, but maybe it's the coconut rather than the can? If you're eating a lot more coconut products than you were, I'd look at maybe the more obvious solution rather than the internet rabbit hole. 

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

You can make your own: https://wellnessmama.com/2447/homemade-coconut-milk/

Also, there are coconut milks that come in tetrapacks -- look for Aroy-d brand on Amazon for one example. I think those are bpa free and should contain nothing but coconut.

I think the jars you're talking about are more like coconut butter. You'd use it more the way you'd use almond butter or something like that.

Thanks for the response!  Do you happen to know if the coconut milk in the tetrapacks works the same way (i.e. you can skim the cream from the top)?  I had read some conflicting things online and wasn't sure.  I think you're right about the jars. I saw some dried bricks you melt called "creamed coconut" or "coconut cream concentrate" but think they still might be a little different. Maybe I will try to make my own - thanks for the link!

34 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

Sorry to bring a possibly unpopular opinion to the party, but maybe it's the coconut rather than the can? If you're eating a lot more coconut products than you were, I'd look at maybe the more obvious solution rather than the internet rabbit hole. 

No need to be sorry! :)  You could be right that it's the coconut. I haven't been eating very much of it (really just in the ranch dressing, although I've been eating that pretty much everyday) but I'm likely consuming much more than I did in the past.  I only jumped to the BPA association since that seemed to come up most often when searching for "acne" related threads on the forum.  I think I might try eliminating coconut completely, and if it clears up I could try adding back in from a BPA-free source to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the insight!

27 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Another thing to consider - are you eating a lot of dried fruit/nuts?

No dried fruit and the only nuts I've had have been slivered almonds sprinkled pretty sparingly in chicken salad.  I have about 2-3 servings of fruit per day though, maybe I should cut back on that?

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, kaylu0513 said:

Thanks for the response!  Do you happen to know if the coconut milk in the tetrapacks works the same way (i.e. you can skim the cream from the top)?  I had read some conflicting things online and wasn't sure.  I think you're right about the jars. I saw some dried bricks you melt called "creamed coconut" or "coconut cream concentrate" but think they still might be a little different. Maybe I will try to make my own - thanks for the link!

I always just shake them up and use it that way, I've never tried to separate the cream off, so I'm not sure. I think that brand makes a coconut cream, which would have less water than the coconut milk, although it still may not be quite as thick as the separated part from a can. I only bother to separate any of it like that if I need to make it like a whipped cream, and I don't really bother to do that often, so I'm not terribly helpful for that.

I find those dried bricks work for hot dishes like a curry, but wouldn't work for ranch dressing or whipped cream. They are almost like a jar of coconut butter - except cheaper and they do have a layer of hard coconut oil that would get melted and mixed in. I stopped buying it because I figured out it's basically coconut butter and I was tempted to eat hunks of it for "dessert".

The tetra paks are the same. Just pop in the fridge and the cream will be hard on top. I find with the Arroy D brand I buy there is very little water so unless I am making "whipped cream" I don't bother to separate it. 

Archived