1/2 CUPCAKE! HELP!

So today was my last day at work and my coworker got me cupcakes (my favorite) to celebrate. She even said "here I am to ruin your diet one more time" so I would've felt sooo rude not eating one. So I ate the top half of one (icing included) and dumped the rest when she wasn't looking in hopes of saving my plan. I'm only on day 2 and would really like to not have to start over, but I will if it is absolutely necessary. Does my half a cupcake choice on day 2 merit a restart?

Short Answer = Yes. 

These situations may arise several times during a whole 30 and you will need to review in your mind how to handle and respond.

There are several suggestions here on the forum. 

I know it's hard to react on the spot but a thought would be to thank her for her thoughtfulness and to let her know you were taking it home freeze for 'after' your whole 30 and it will be the first 'sugar' you will have for re-introduction as you remember her fondly..

• Moderators

Yes, intentional consumption of an off plan item like a cupcake renders your reset done and you would have to start over.  There is an article linked in my signature below that we ask that you read and then decide for yourself, but since you're only on Day 2, why not just keep your count going and do 32 days... 

Also, as for being 'rude', I think it's more rude of your friend to knowingly give you something that is against what you're trying to acheive... that's extremely rude and disrespectful and does not deserve you giving up your goals and values to make her feel good about being a jerk...

• Administrators

Ya, unfortunately, you chose to eat the cupcake. And the gluten, sugar, possible soy and dairy are a major cause for restart. And since you're only on Day 2, you could just call this a Whole32 and move on.

This having to eat because someone brought us something is a real societal misstep that we've all been sucked into. Funny story, my coworker brought me gluten free cupcakes for no real reason the other day. I'm not on a Whole30 but I didn't want a cheap, grocery store cupcake in the middle of a normal work day. To me that is not special or worth it and it wouldn't have done anything for the rest of my day or my overall happiness. My answer "aw, that was really sweet, but no thank you". She wasn't impressed. But...............I would not have been impressed with myself for eating something because she decided to go out on her lunch break and bring it. I'm not a zoo animal waiting for treats. Thanks for thinking of me, that was sweet, but I don't want to eat that. 

Part of Whole30 and the relationship changing thing is that you'll ultimately end up changing your relationship with yourself. MY personal decisions mean more to me than 4 cupcakes she spent $2.39 on. Whether that hurts her feelings or not is not my concern.

Never let anybody take control of your nutritional decisions. Ever.

Use the W30 as your launching pad and springboard into the rest of your life. Master controllers often enjoy using food or drink, any other object/substance to control others because more than likely they're unable to master these areas in their own life. Stand strong. Others don't have to live in our body.

Archived