All or nothing?

Robin Strathdee

No Kid Whole30 here Robin. We have no health concerns in our family, so I just keep introducing my kids to more new foods and flavors that are mostly Paleo, but I have no plans to do a Whole30 for them. They eat many more Paleo meals each week now than they did a year ago. Definitely less grains, dairy and sugar consumption than before for my whole family. Personally, although I think it would be great to have Cave Kids, I think for right now I am more interested in the shift to more and more whole foods instead of processed foods and eliminating foods with bad additives than I am converting them to a complete Paleo diet. Same goes for me. Our diets a year ago were "healthy" versions of the SAD so thankfully we are eating much healthier foods now...

I do admire the Paleo families that already make it work! Maybe some day we will be one of them...

My kids are eating whole 30 plus dairy with me, just because I refuse to cook multiple meals for my family, they eat what I eat or they don't eat. It hasn't been a problem as most of the time they love what I make, if not, too bad :) I milk my own Jerseys so I'm not worried about the dairy as it's raw and 100% grass-fed.

My kids are gluten and dairy free by necessity, but what that means at the moment is lots of GF bread, cereal, and OMG the nuts. They are MADE OF peanuts (and to a lesser extent, other nuts). But they are slowly opening their minds to new things. They have always been decent about eating fruits and vegetables within their small group of favorites (apples, grapes, berries, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, plus others sporadically) but asked without any prompting to have clementines when I bought a bag for myself this week! My daughter will taste new foods pretty willingly, but hasn't liked much of what she's tried. My son knows he has to taste stuff now, but he hates the process and absolutely hates the foods he's tried. He has finally progressed to where he will eat scrambled eggs and chicken nuggets without much fuss unless he's exhausted. Our longterm goal is to get the kids eating whole foods the majority of the time, but we know it won't be a quick transition. It's good to know others are slogging along with us.

PS - In case you are wondering, until he was 3, his main sources of protein were cheese and sometimes beans.

I have to be careful, too, balancing what I serve at home with what I know they eat elsewhere. I don't want it to be so dramatic a shift here that they have a negative experience adjusting to our new foods, and they associate our home with foods they "don't like". My own Whole30 was not perfect but was still a shock to my system and the carb withdrawal is not what I would call pleasant. Worth it, but not fun. We're shifting, but slowly.

Archived