I am finally ready to do this! With hubby in tow.

MimiC

After months of thinking (knowing) something needed to change, I got my husband excited to take this journey together. I think he may be more excited than me. It is day 2 for us, and he was asking specific questions about how to remain true during the day while at work.  I make the home meals, so that's the easy part. I think this is going to bring us much happiness and health in the long run. So for now, We are here!!! Yippee!

4 hours ago, Brensuma said:

Congrats on starting your journey! And cudos to your hubby for joining you. Need more info for where the problem might be for staying on plan at work? For instance, lunch meetings? Work at fast food? Etc?

I would love any advice to keep us both on track. I am finding that my habit of grazing on salty chips during the day is going to be the toughest to break I think. My hubby goes out to eat with co-workers a lot, always love advice. Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi, @MimiC. This download has some general tips for dining out: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-dining.pdf  

Definitely have him look online for ingredient or allergen information -- many chain restaurants have allergen lists online, telling which foods have the most common allergens like soy, peanuts, or dairy, which helps to narrow it down some, although they don't usually address sweeteners that could be added so he'd still need to talk to the people at the restaurant to know for sure what is in each dish. Don't forget that he'll need to ask about marinades and seasoning mixes that are used as well. If he's not comfortable having to be that person at the restaurant who special orders things, he may want to bring meals from home and eat out less during this 30 days, so you'll probably want to talk to him about that so you can plan accordingly. Additionally, he may want to keep some "emergency food" around in case he gets stuck at the office late, or it turns out he can't get a compliant lunch at a restaurant one day. If he keeps a can or two of tuna or salmon and some olive oil, those won't take up much room in a drawer and will keep well for a long time. If he just needs a snack, he'd have it there, and if he needed a full meal, he could more than likely find a place that would make him a salad with no cheese or croutons, and maybe some lemon slices or vinegar to add with his olive oil for dressing. Not the most exciting meal ever, but it would work.

For the grazing all day, the best way to address that is to be sure you're eating enough at your meals that you stay satisfied for 4-5 hours, so you're definitely not hungry (try to make your meals meet the meal template for best results, and definitely don't be afraid of adding fat to your meals -- add a serving or two in addition to what you cook in most of the time). Then, if you find yourself heading to the kitchen between meals, ask yourself if you're truly hungry or not. If you are -- as in you'd eat something bland and boring like plain steamed fish and broccoli -- then fix yourself a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three, and sit down and eat it at the table the way you would a meal. If you aren't hungry, find something else to do. Go for a walk, read a book, clean something, call a friend, work on a hobby -- something that keeps your mind off food. Generally, if you're not hungry, those feelings of wanting to eat something will go away if you distract yourself long enough. You may also find that you need to just not buy things that might easily substitute for those chips -- nuts or seeds would be the obvious one. For me, I can keep raw nuts around to use occasionally in recipes or as a fat serving, but if I have roasted/salted ones around, I'll overeat them, so pay attention to foods like that and figure out what works for you.  And obviously, since no commercially prepared chips are okay on Whole30 regardless of ingredients, if you haven't already, it might be best to get rid of any you still have around the house, or at least put them away somewhere that they'd be hard to get to.

I'm going to remind myself of this one also....I know it's not a substitute for salty, crunchy things......but when you feel the need to snack, drink a glass of water. I know, for myself, I don't get enough water. For hubby, i 2nd the advice for researching compliant foods at restaurants. If he goes to the same ones, it'll help make things easier the more he goes.

Thanks @ShannonM816,

I will check out the links. As for the pantry. Cleared it out on day -0. We did it together, (even my precious chips :( )Then keep finding things that don't make the list.l I am so surprised at how many things contain sugar and soy. Things I felt were making my cooking very healthy for years. I am overall very pleased and feel so informed it's kind of a high actually. Your advice on what to do is something I might say to someone as well, now to follow our own advice. Today I feel so much better and in control of my feelings ( I have a long term stressful situation going on simultaneously with this starting whole 30) . I know WHY I keep going to the kitchen for comfort, and today I am not coming back till it's time to cook a meal again.

Archived