Exertion Headaches relief?

crochetkim

Last week while at my boxing class I developed the worst headache of my life.  It came on all the sudden mid jumping jack.  I ended up in the ER and was cleared for a brain aneurysm after ct and lumbar puncture.  Since that headache I've had neck and head pain on and off mostly with exertion but nothing like that initial headache (thank goodness as that was awful).  I've been to my Chiropractor three times since then which helps initially but the pain tends to come back after a few hours.  I am new to the whole 30 and began on Monday.  Thus far things are going well but I'm only 3 days in.  Anyone else have problems with this kind of headache?  Did the whole 30 help?  And when were you able to get back to working out?  I am dying to go for a run or back to boxing class.  I have been doing some yoga but I really need to get the adrenaline pumping!!  Thanks!

(My comma key is broken so please forgive my lack of commas.)

• Moderators

Sorry to hear that, I"ve gotten exertion headaches in the past as well and they're not fun.  From the tiny bit of research I've done, it doesn't sound like diet is much of a contributing factor, altho the Whole30 isn't going to make it worse for sure. The one place I can see diet helping is keeping your bloodsugar regulated by eating 3 full meals a day and no fruit or nuts on it's own, which is basically what the Whole30 asks for.

Have you done some online research into this condition?  They say taking a magnesium supplement can help and the unflavored Natural Calm is compliant.

Here's an article about some things you can do...http://migravent.com/blog/8-ways-to-avoid-exercise-headaches-after-working-out/

Thanks!  I will be ordering some unflavored natural calm immediately. 

I am also doing the whole 30 for psoriasis and inflammation relief.  My rheumatologist actually recommended going paleo but I've been dragging my feet about it.  I would eat paleo for breakfast and by dinner was back to my sugar and carbs.  So this exertion headache thing kind of scared me straight I guess you could say.  lol!  Thanks again for the help.  

Archived