June 1 Reset Start - Let's do this (again)!!

jpags99

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, i heart my body said:

welcome! we're on the same schedule, i started June 1 too. Thanks so much for sharing - the support is indeed palpable on this forum - very grateful for it.  by the way, i've had lethargy today too, my first day with lethargy. but i'm also weirdly present and dialed in - a strange combo of experiences for me. Stay with it!! i'm off to go eat "lunch".

:)

YES!  Me too - dialed in!  It's like I'm fatigued physically, but my brain isn't tired.  Last night, though, my brain WAS tired.  I fell asleep on the couch at 9:30, which is early for me!  Couldn't keep my eyes open!

2 minutes ago, KofeKat said:

Made it through the weekend! Walking past the fresh bread samples at the store was a true test of my determination. Go team.

A new farmer's market opened in my town yesterday and we went to check it out.  They haven't gotten any produce suppliers in yet, but they had a bunch of fresh bakeries there that smelled soooo good!!  It was so hard to resist, but I did!

Breakfast tip:

I made the perfect sausage from the Whole30 book (pg 162). Instead of patties I sauteed it in crumble form. I then sauteed some pre prepped veggies from Trader Joe's (asparagus, mushrooms, onions) . Next I layered some sausage and veggies in 5 microwave safe dishes. In the morning I grab a dish, crack in 1 egg & shake it up. At work I nuke it for 1 minute. Voila the perfect breakfast. 

1496708767235-241915799.jpg

1496708882529899922882.jpg

having a night - took chicken out of the freezer last night to thaw overnight and today. Thawed, and I cooked it - all seasoned up and everything. I was excited for baked chicken because i usually just pan "fry" it or put it on my george foreman. I took it out of the oven and cut through it. It was so flipping tough. Took a bite, it was grainy and tough. It was definitely juicy, just not truly edible. Last night, I cooked skirt steak on my GF and the same damn thing happened. Cut into it and it was just TOUGH.

So, I took some frozen peppers, sauteed them in a pan with some ghee, and then cracked a few eggs in there. Dinner. :unsure:

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KofeKat said:

Breakfast tip:

I made the perfect sausage from the Whole30 book (pg 162). Instead of patties I sauteed it in crumble form. I then sauteed some pre prepped veggies from Trader Joe's (asparagus, mushrooms, onions) . Next I layered some sausage and veggies in 5 microwave safe dishes. In the morning I grab a dish, crack in 1 egg & shake it up. At work I nuke it for 1 minute. Voila the perfect breakfast. 

1496708767235-241915799.jpg

1496708882529899922882.jpg

It's hard to tell size by that picture but it LOOKS like an extremely tiny portion of food... Each meal wants about 1-3 cups of veggies (3 being optimal) and added fat, which I don't see listed.... It's a GREAT idea and I think you're on the right track but you may consider getting a bigger dish... Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping, which is usually about 3-4 for most people.  I realize you have some sausage in there, but do you think the amount of sausage is a decent replacement for 3 eggs? I could be wrong and this is mixing bowl sized...

Day 6

I woke up tired because I went to bed at 1 after watching 4 episodes of Making of a Murderer with my husband. It's a good thing I had a nap yesterday.

Dinner is a roast with onions and garlic with a salad and green beens. 

Hit the treadmill and got in my first work out for C25K running---slow as a turtle I am. I ended up staying on the treadmill for an hour watching tv.  

I think I'll take a short nap (watch 1 episode of MM), and then get started on my chores. I love summer breaks! I hope everyone's enjoying their day. 

I almost forgot....I made riced cauliflower yesterday with (bacon grease), garlic, and seasonings, and parsley. I had it for 2 meals....and I now need to buy more. It came in a frozen package and I can't remember the name, but it was awesome. 

Green Giant does a calirice that is sold in regular supermarkets.  You can get it for about half the price though at Trader Joe's.

@Georgina2 Oh, you are so lucky to have Trader Joe's. Neither Trader Joe's nor Whole Foods have found their way to Mexico! I am just happy that we have Costco's! But can you believe that we have Domino's Pizza and Taco Belle? LOL Calrice would be a nice luxury. 

We just had everything-but-the-kitchen-sink eggs for lunch with a side of leftover stir-fried veggies. Very Yummy and on the table in about 10 minutes. This was: sautéed onions and peppers, leftover cooked ground beef with Mexican seasoning, eggs and egg whites.

I went to our local farmers' market after I taught my yoga class, and to my surprise, my egg lady had no eggs! She told me the Rhode Island Reds, the ones who lay the brown eggs, are very picky, and when it's super hot, like now, or super cold, they don't lay! Fortunately, I have about 18 left, so I have time to get my eggs somewhere else, but hers are organic and fresh. I did get lots of fresh veggies and escaped without succumbing to home made cookies and gluten free bread. Yay, me!

Hey good buddies! We are on Day 6. I do feel better. I can't quite pin it down, but I simply have a better attitude towards everything. We have friends coming this afternoon to watch a movie and have a light supper -- probably baked chicken, a big tossed salad, and dessert will be mixed berries. I might get fancy and puree them to serve as Summer Berry Soup (mix of blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and red seedless grapes) Then again, I guess that's too much like a smoothie. I better simply make a whole berry compote. The recipe suggests serving with whipped coconut cream (unsweetened of course), but I'm not that ambitious today.

My biggest temptation so far was not stepping on the scale. I know better, so I restrained myself. Just curious!

23 hours ago, KofeKat said:

Made it through the weekend! Walking past the fresh bread samples at the store was a true test of my determination. Go team.

Great going,  I love to bake fresh bread, so I know what your talking about.  Keep up the great work. 

On 6/5/2017 at 5:31 PM, KofeKat said:

Breakfast tip:

OMG I love this! I am definitely going to make some of these this weekend. And thanks to everyone else who chimed in with suggestions - I have to remember to think outside of the (breakfast) box. Heating up leftovers is a good call. That's about all I can handle in the mornings!

On 6/5/2017 at 6:46 PM, jpags99 said:

having a night - took chicken out of the freezer last night to thaw overnight and today. Thawed, and I cooked it - all seasoned up and everything. I was excited for baked chicken because i usually just pan "fry" it or put it on my george foreman. I took it out of the oven and cut through it. It was so flipping tough. Took a bite, it was grainy and tough. It was definitely juicy, just not truly edible. Last night, I cooked skirt steak on my GF and the same damn thing happened. Cut into it and it was just TOUGH.

So, I took some frozen peppers, sauteed them in a pan with some ghee, and then cracked a few eggs in there. Dinner. :unsure:

@jpags99 I'm so sorry - that is sooooo disappointing! Excellent job coming up with something else on the fly and not throwing in the towel!

So, I'm feeling better - less crankilicious. Which is great, because DH is out of town til the end of the week, so I'm solo parenting. I've been sleeping really well, except when I get sucked into Murdoch Mysteries on Netflix, and then it's anyone's guess when I will actually get to bed.

Had a real NSV today - went out to dinner with my mom and the kids, and the kids wanted pizza so we ended up at one of our favorite pizza places. I thought it would be torture, but I ended up ordering the spinach salad (sans non-compliant ingredients, and EVOO/vinegar on the side for dressing), and was surprisingly fine. It helped that the salad was really good, with lots of other veggies in it. Then I went to the restroom, and while I was there they all ordered dessert! :blink: But, again, it turned out to be fine. It was pretty easy to resist, and I didn't feel deprived or mad at all. Win!

On 6/3/2017 at 11:16 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Sorry, I knew I read it but coudlnt find it again so I didn't tag you.  One more thing on that fruit and nuts, cacao is only approved for making savory items such as chocolate chili or a rub for steak, not for eating as a snack or in a trail mix type of mixture... Probably best to put that jar aside for your food freedom when you're done if you decide you still want it :)

Didn't know that about Cacao either! Thank-you :)

20 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

@Georgina2 Oh, you are so lucky to have Trader Joe's. Neither Trader Joe's nor Whole Foods have found their way to Mexico! I am just happy that we have Costco's! But can you believe that we have Domino's Pizza and Taco Belle? LOL Calrice would be a nice luxury. 

I get it Jmb, I lived in Germany for 7 years in the late '90's/early '2000s and while produce and meat weren't a problem, any kind of packaged food was impossible to get, and forget international stuff like Mexican or American foods or even European stuff like Irish butter.  You can imagine the excitement when Walmart finally came in, we'd drive over an hour to stock up on all our favorites, even though they were super expensive there!

10 hours ago, Mary Stovall said:

And carrageenan. Took me forever to figure that out... :)

Oh, that stuff puffs me right out and makes my body so uncomfortable to be in.  

Day 7

Went for a walk around the track this morning. I ended up walking up and down the bleachers on the odd number of laps, and ran the curves every time. So, is this a good NSV to count as...I have more energy now than I did before I started Whole30 with all the grains, sugar, and alcohol running through my system? 

We're going to have a yardsale this weekend to try to raise money for an up coming vacation, and get rid of a lot of junk. I plan on taking padding my grocery budget with some of those proceeds. :) 

We have a couple of farmer's markets in my area, but they are so overpriced it's not worth the effort. 

Off to the grocery store to pick up more vegetables for the rest of the week and weekend.

@Jmb369 The scale is definitely a temptation. Getting past the idea that the scale doesn't define the worth or work we're putting in is challenging. The closest one one of those stores is over an hour away from where I live. It's interesting to hear what others have available in their country! 

@jpags99 That's a great NSV to have! I normally have a little acne around my chin line, and it's gone. Acne at 44. ugh. 

I hope everyone's doing well today!

I will definitely have to check the ingredients list the next time I buy this particular brand. I'm almost certain that it's "clean." I have had others that don't feel good in my tummy, but this one does not bother me. Sadly enough, we cannot buy "real" turkeys year 'round here, in Central Mexico, only in November and December. In the past I would roast one or two turkeys in the summer -- just for the great leftovers. Last year I remembered to buy an extra for the freezer, but this year I forgot. I get tired of beef, pork, chicken, and frozen fish.

Made a good choice last night. We had an early and light dinner with friends, and I was hungry by 9, so I had two ounces of turkey and about ten grapes. That did the trick, and I slept like a baby (a good baby!) For me, that was two gold stars -- no gluten free bread with almond butter, and not even any of my beloved mixed unsalted nuts! I think those nuts will have to go, either out of the house or out of the pantry. I am thinking of DH 's office.

Lunch today will probably be a big tossed salad with canned tuna and steamed snow peas, and dinner is all-meat chili, baked sweet potatoes, guacamole, and a green vegetable, not as yet chosen!

The weather is a little cooler today, so I am in a good frame of mind. I went for a swim before I went to bed, and I think cooling down my body helped me sleep better. It's all tied together.

Good luck with your garage sale this weekend. @iteach I hope you do well. I always felt as if it was too much time and energy for too little return, but even a little bit of extra money is a nice motivation to get rid of "stuff." Here I am more likely to donate or consign. Sometimes we simply put things out in front of the house, and they disappear within a few hours! In fact I have a stack of 3-ring notebooks ready to go out. They aren't worth trying to sell, but someone's kids will use them for school.

Anyway, I digress. I spent much of the morning on the computer, doing my lesson plan for Friday's yoga class. I want to teach the Moon Salutation, but I need an easier version because most of my students are Beginners and most are over age 60! It's all fun, and more enjoyable because I am feeling more energetic and more upbeat. I guess that's my NSV!

Just checking in - Now that I'm full time, life is so busy!

But things are going well.  Almonds for Breakfast, Shepard's pie for lunch, olives and cherries for snack, spaghetti squash with meat sauce (Whole30 tomato sauce with Italian herbs) for dinner.

It's been hard - I had the 'kill all the things' and am working through the sugar cravings.  However, they're going away without too much pain, but I hadn't gone as far this time as I had before my first Whole 30.  Plus, I never got back to artificial sweeteners, one of the best things about my first time through. :-)

Plus, I'm getting in a 3 mile walk every day. 

• Moderators
Just now, CKM said:

Almonds for Breakfast, Shepard's pie for lunch, olives and cherries for snack, spaghetti squash with meat sauce (Whole30 tomato sauce with Italian herbs) for dinner.

Have you seen the meal template?  Almonds are not a meal... we want you to eat 3 meals a day, 4-5 hours apart so that you don't need to snack. While you're getting comfortable with that, you're welcome to eat a mini meal of protein and fat, not nuts and fruits on their own.

Your kill all the things and sugar cravings will go away much faster if you are eating enough.

1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Have you seen the meal template?  Almonds are not a meal... we want you to eat 3 meals a day, 4-5 hours apart so that you don't need to snack. While you're getting comfortable with that, you're welcome to eat a mini meal of protein and fat, not nuts and fruits on their own.

Your kill all the things and sugar cravings will go away much faster if you are eating enough.

Yes, I know.  However, I had gastric sleeve surgey 4 years ago and my stomach is still very small.  Plus, I'm allergic to eggs and lactose intolerant.  My doctor had me do the Whole30 as an elimination diet to find out what was causing my IBS.  

Given my work schedule, I eat at 7:30 (the almonds), 11:00 Lunch, 3:30 snack and a 7:00 dinner.  That's just what I've found works for me.

Archived