June 1 Reset Start - Let's do this (again)!!

jpags99

• Moderators
1 minute ago, CKM said:

Yes, I know.  However, I had gastric sleeve surgey 4 years ago and my stomach is still very small.  Plus, I'm allergic to eggs and lactose intolerant.  My doctor had me do the Whole30 as an elimination diet to find out what was causing my IBS.  

Given my work schedule, I eat at 7:30 (the almonds), 11:00 Lunch, 3:30 snack and a 7:00 dinner.  That's just what I've found works for me.

Okay, you're definitely welcome to do whatever works for you, but the meal template is the minimum that any adult human should eat in a day.  If you need to eat that over more meals, that's fine but we still encourage you to stick to the template to get the best results.  You don't need to eat eggs for breakfast, any protein, fat and veggie will do and lactose intolerance won't affect this way of eating as all dairy products are out.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! Where is everyone?!

We finally had a nice thunderstorm last night with lots of rain, so I am much happier.  See, there are other things besides food that bring me pleasure!

So far today has had some challenges, but I've managed them fairly well. First off, there was no time for a full breakfast between my morning walk and a PT appointment, so I simply had 3 scrambled eggs and a dish of fresh pineapple. Then between the PT appointment and a massage, I had an Asian salad (no soy and no peanut sauce!) with lettuce and grilled pork. I know the owner, so I trust the food. I skipped the rice noodles and the peanut sauce, so it was a light meal. Protein salad and berries when I got home. I knew today was going to have to be four smaller meals instead of three big ones. Dinner will either be taco salads or spaghetti sauce on zucchini, depending on what DH is willing to cook.

And for the first time this week, I reached my step goal of 6500 steps. Coupled with the PT, which is all about leg strength, I think I had good exercise.

My biggest NSV continues to be a better mood and a generally better outlook on life. And when I feel positive, I feel motivated. As an aside, this is the first time I've done Whole 30 and not experienced any constipation. I take that as a sign that over the past eighteen months my gut health has improved, and I've also been more conscious of drinking plenty of water. 

Now that we have one entire week behind us, what's working (or not) for you?

@Jmb369 I'm here! Good job on everything today.

I am in full-on ALL-I-WANT-IS-COOKIES mode right now. I even bought some fresh fruit to help subside the cravings. I still want my damn cookies. i need to be talked off a ledge right now because the ground is looking more exciting than anything else.

48 minutes ago, jpags99 said:

I am in full-on ALL-I-WANT-IS-COOKIES mode right now. I even bought some fresh fruit to help subside the cravings. I still want my damn cookies. i need to be talked off a ledge right now because the ground is looking more exciting than anything else.

Fruit will feed your cravings, not help them subside! Make sure you're eating enough at your meals (follow the meal template) and also try increasing your fats. 

14 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Fruit will feed your cravings, not help them subside! Make sure you're eating enough at your meals (follow the meal template) and also try increasing your fats. 

i know the rules. i just needed a talk off the ledge.

• Moderators
Just now, jpags99 said:

i know the rules. i just needed a talk off the ledge.

Cookies are not special... they're also not going anywhere so should you want them at a later date, they'll be around.  Don't give up all your hardwork just for a cookie that you can have any time you like.  You're stronger and more valuable than a dumb old cookie! :)

16 hours ago, jpags99 said:

I am in full-on ALL-I-WANT-IS-COOKIES mode right now.

All baked goods are made with three ingredients.  Sugar, flour and fat.  That's it.

It doesn't matter if it's a cookie, cake or a donut.  Three ingredients,  different formations. There is absolutely nothing  unique about any bakery item that is worth blowing your Whole 30 for. 

48 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Cookies are not special... they're also not going anywhere so should you want them at a later date, they'll be around.  Don't give up all your hardwork just for a cookie that you can have any time you like.  You're stronger and more valuable than a dumb old cookie! :)

Just now, MeadowLily said:

All baked goods are made with three ingredients.  Sugar, flour and fat.  That's it.

It doesn't matter if it's a cookie, cake or a donut.  Three ingredients,  different formations. There is absolutely nothing  unique about any bakery item that is worth blowing your Whole 30 for. 

See, that's what i needed last night. I made it through. Cravings went away. :) I'm good today!

Hi All! Sorry I've been MIA - I'm toggling between teaching and kid wrangling with DH out of town so it's been a busy few days. Summer is here and the number of small people in my house at any given moment has changed dramatically! :) But, I'm happy to say that I finally got some cooking done, baked a bunch of chicken breasts and roasted two giant pans of veggies, so at least I have something in the fridge I can just heat and eat.

I have a challenging evening coming up on Saturday - dinner with good friends. We usually put away a few bottles of wine, so that will be hard for me, but I'm actually feeling pretty confident so hopefully I will stay on track. I'm going to stock up on La Croix and maybe some other drinks that are "special" but still compliant. I would love to hear how any of you handle these types of situations, if you also find them challenging. Always looking for new and different strategies!

19 hours ago, jpags99 said:

@jpags99 I'm sorry I wasn't there to cheer you on when you needed support, but I'm so glad you made it through on your own! Way to go! Those cravings can be so powerful.  What did you do to successfully resist? This time around I'm finding that I'm struggling with cheese way more than sugar. I had actually cut sugar out of my diet about a month before I started this W30, in an attempt to reduce the inflammation that is contributing to my knee pain, so I think that is why it is not such a big deal for me right now. I find that the less I eat sugar, the less I crave it. But cheese seems to be another story.......

Wishing you all a happy weekend! Stay strong! One week down!!!

I'm here!

Day 9

Cravings have been horrible, but PMS has been even worse. The combination of the two hasn't been great. No fruit today and upped my protein and fat at each meal to try to keep from kill-all feels happening. I'm drinking water with sliced lemon and ginger to help with cramping and watching Netflix in between taking things out to the garage for our yard sale tomorrow. Whole30 + TOM = whattheheckwasithinkingugh! This too shall pass. Fake :) .

Tomorrow's our yard sale. I have a "get off my lawn" attitude. I better just hide out today. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, iteach said:

Tomorrow's our yard sale. I have a "get off my lawn" attitude. I better just hide out today. 

These two things seem to not be congruent ;)  Good luck, don't yell at anyone who's trying to give you money to take your old stuff off your hands!

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

These two things seem to not be congruent ;)  Good luck, don't yell at anyone who's trying to give you money to take your old stuff off your hands!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I made it through last night just fine. However tonight, I totally broke and made a conscious decision to have sushi with a former student and her family. Yes, it was incredibly worth it. No, I do not recommend anyone thinking like me. I've done the whole30 already, and I know the results. I'm just going to start over. The good news (if we can consider any of this that) is that I had an internal fight with myself between getting hibachi or sushi. I decided on the sushi because the rice does far less to my system overall than the MSG that is in the hibachi. I also did not eat the miso soup or have soy sauce because I hate soy with a passion. 

So please, by all means, be disappointed in me, but know the lesson here: once these good habits get in you, they stick with you (i.e. knowing not to have soy or MSG based on results from previous W30). I can't wait for you all to be done with this and then get through your FFF!

@jpags99 I had a feeling this was not going to be a full Whole 30 reset for you. I had one like that last October, but then I did one in December/January. And you are right -- some things we learn we remember forever. I also seem to learn something new each time I repeat a Whole 30. I think I mentioned this is #4 for me. This time I am learning not to turn to nuts as my go-to snack food. It's hard to moderate quantity. Sometimes it's just easier to give something up completely!

@iteach I hope your yard sale is going well. They can be a lot of work. My daughter has been quite successful several times over the past 20 years. Not me!

@JTCarlson I agree that social occasions can be challenging. I think you are on the right track. I often have Perrier with lime to drink, whether in a restaurant or at home. My close friends have gotten used to the fact that I only drink alcohol occasionally, and I think some of our acquaintances assume I have a drinking problem, and that's why I don't imbibe. LOL. I think I mentioned last week that one of my strategies is to eat something before I leave home. This means I don't get caught hungry if a meal is delayed. I'll have a hard boiled egg, a piece of turkey or other leftover meat, or a half serving of any kind of protein leftovers. The protein really works for me -- better than vegetables or fruit. Enjoy your gathering, and tell us how it goes.

We had a wild storm last night -- gusts of 35-40 mph and rain coming in every window simultaneously. The rain is very welcome, but mopping water off windowsills and floors at midnight is no fun. Anyway, our pump is not working, at least until the electric company fixes whatever the problem is at their end. There are 17 families on this well, so I think they will come soon. We hope! We cook with LP gas, so breakfast was not a problem. I just had some leftover tuna fish as a snack. I know -- better not to snack at all, but I think it was a good choice. My goal was to steer clear of nuts or fruit to tide me over until lunch.

I know my other priority has to be getting more exercise. I got accustomed to sitting around too much during our six weeks of super hot weather. Now it's time to MOVE!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

6 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

@jpags99 I had a feeling this was not going to be a full Whole 30 reset for you. I had one like that last October, but then I did one in December/January. And you are right -- some things we learn we remember forever. I also seem to learn something new each time I repeat a Whole 30. I think I mentioned this is #4 for me. This time I am learning not to turn to nuts as my go-to snack food. It's hard to moderate quantity. Sometimes it's just easier to give something up completely!

Well, it wasn't my intention to not do it. I really was going to do the full thing. However, this isn't such a big deal because my friend from work is going to be doing it for the first time (via my recommendation) in a couple of days and I am going to do it with her.

Let me ask you (or @SugarcubeOD) this though - maybe I'm not understanding the reset process. Isn't it where you can either do a full w30 or make your own (based on whatever you want it to be - albeit inflammation, energy booster, craving cutting, etc) for however long you want it to be? I think I am having a tough time understanding what FFF really is. Maybe message me so we don't clog this thread up about it.

A Whole 30 is 30 days.  No more.  No less.

It only takes 30 compliant days for a Food Reset.  One non-compliant item eaten and the Whole 30 is now over. It is no longer called a Whole 30.  You are now off-roading or Riding Your Bike.

If you have completed one compliant Whole 30 with a proper Reintro Phase, identifying your food sensitivities, allergies or just food triggers - you don't have to undertake a new Whole 30 when you choose to go off-roading or Riding Your Bike. 

When you have the tools, your food knowledge under your belt,  go on and create your own plan.  I call mine - my positive food management plan. This is my Food Freedom Forever.

Food Freedom Forever = doing mini resets as you've mentioned...for as long or as short as you like. But a Whole 30 will always and forever be...30 compliant days.  Off-roading or riding your bike in those 30 days negates the Whole 30 official protocol.  

If you want to join your friend for another Whole 30, you would have to remain compliant for 30 straight days or it adds confusion.

There are those who start over every Monday and ride their bike on the weekends.  They call it a Whole 30 but really, it's their way or version of Food Freedom Forever.  It's not a Whole 30. 

Food Freedom Forever can be anything you want it to be.  The hardest part is creating your own rules and recommendations or choosing not to have any rules whatsoever..... or not relying on anyone else's ideas of what the rest of your life should be like.  

Food Freedom Forever is an ever changing dynamic of choices and consequences.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jpags99 said:

Well, it wasn't my intention to not do it. I really was going to do the full thing. However, this isn't such a big deal because my friend from work is going to be doing it for the first time (via my recommendation) in a couple of days and I am going to do it with her.

Let me ask you (or @SugarcubeOD) this though - maybe I'm not understanding the reset process. Isn't it where you can either do a full w30 or make your own (based on whatever you want it to be - albeit inflammation, energy booster, craving cutting, etc) for however long you want it to be? I think I am having a tough time understanding what FFF really is. Maybe message me so we don't clog this thread up about it.

Ya, you might be mixing a few things together there... So the idea, in a perfect world, is to do a Whole30, take the time to do the reintroductions (either the standard ones or the slow roll) and then with that information, you make your own WholeJpags99.  If that means you don't worry about sugar in ketchup, have a splash of cream in your coffee every day but steer clear of grains and soy (for instance) then that becomes your ongoing program.  When you stray... say the coffee creamer turns into ice cream twice a week, the sugar in ketchup turns into bonbons at work and you eat a bagel every day for breakfast even tho you know it makes you feel like crap, then the Whole30 is here for you to do a reset... get back on track, learn more about your eating habits and your emotional attachment to food, DO REINTROS AGAIN to see what is and isn't worth it this time and then that's your new WholeJpags99... eventually, you don't need the whole30 because you know how food affects your body, you know when you stray too far and you can pull yourself back.  We're kind of a program that wants to render ourselves out of a job with people because they find their Food Freedom (another name for the WholeJpags99) and merrily go on their way, spreading the good food word and following the beat of their own drum... 

The craving buster, energy booster thing in the book is the options for IF people do not want to undertake a Whole30.  The recommendation in my opinion should always be to do the full W30 for the best results of reintroduction but there are reasons people have for not wanting to do it, and the options in the book are there for those people.  But you're the bomb and you CAN and are willing to do a Whole30... just make sure you're putting the reintros on the end... that's THE most important part!

Does that help?

15 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ya, you might be mixing a few things together there... So the idea, in a perfect world, is to do a Whole30, take the time to do the reintroductions (either the standard ones or the slow roll) and then with that information, you make your own WholeJpags99.  If that means you don't worry about sugar in ketchup, have a splash of cream in your coffee every day but steer clear of grains and soy (for instance) then that becomes your ongoing program.  When you stray... say the coffee creamer turns into ice cream twice a week, the sugar in ketchup turns into bonbons at work and you eat a bagel every day for breakfast even tho you know it makes you feel like crap, then the Whole30 is here for you to do a reset... get back on track, learn more about your eating habits and your emotional attachment to food, DO REINTROS AGAIN to see what is and isn't worth it this time and then that's your new WholeJpags99... eventually, you don't need the whole30 because you know how food affects your body, you know when you stray too far and you can pull yourself back.  We're kind of a program that wants to render ourselves out of a job with people because they find their Food Freedom (another name for the WholeJpags99) and merrily go on their way, spreading the good food word and following the beat of their own drum... 

The craving buster, energy booster thing in the book is the options for IF people do not want to undertake a Whole30.  The recommendation in my opinion should always be to do the full W30 for the best results of reintroduction but there are reasons people have for not wanting to do it, and the options in the book are there for those people.  But you're the bomb and you CAN and are willing to do a Whole30... just make sure you're putting the reintros on the end... that's THE most important part!

Does that help?

Thank you so much for the explanation. That makes so much more sense than when I read it in the book (and listened to the audiobook.. probably because i was at work and halfway paying attention?) . I also thank you so much for the support. I definitely am going to redo a W30, and in between restarting with my friend, I will be keeping up with the rules.

16 hours ago, jpags99 said:

Thank you so much for the explanation. That makes so much more sense than when I read it in the book (and listened to the audiobook.. probably because i was at work and halfway paying attention?) . I also thank you so much for the support. I definitely am going to redo a W30, and in between restarting with my friend, I will be keeping up with the rules.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you this time.  

@SugarcubeOD No body died. Money changed hands. Coffee was my copilot. :lol:

@jpags99 You've had a rough go at a Whole30 this time with so much to deal with. I'm glad to hear you have a plan and ready for your next Whole30. It's definitely a learning process, learning to listen to our bodies.

@Jmb369 I'm impressed at your daughters yard sale abilities! We had similar weather this week----even hail! Weird spring weather we're having for sure.

Day 11

The yard sale was a $300 success for selling junk. Our junk has a new home and we have fun money/gas money for vacation. Why does spending a whole day doing a yard sale feel worse than actual work? I'm sure it's just me. We're done for the year. 

This was the first day I've woken up without feeling like I can't wake up or survive the day. 

Today I bought a $20 used round kitchen table from a local yard sale (Yeah, I know...there goes my "fun money". But I have a hobby now.), that has an extension to expand into a lovely table.  It needs some work (I have time and in need of a hobby), but the hardware (authentic metal wheel turns and locks underneath), and the details of the table are just impressive! It has really good wood "bones" and just needs a face lift. I'll start sanding on it and deciding to either just add a poly. coat or stain once I can see what it looks like. 

So I have a hobby for the week to try to keep my brain focused on "when's food".

Cheers for the week ahead!

@iteach So glad you had a successful yard sale. $300 is a nice take-away.

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for the great explanation of FFF and how it differs from Whole 30. I have nothing to add.

@japags99 When will you start your new Whole30 with your friend? Will you start a new thread on the forum?

Adios amigas! Tomorrow I start anew at Day One! 

I went to a true Mexican fiesta today, hosted by the couple who works for us as gardener and house cleaner extraordinaire,in honor of their middle child's confirmation. Despite Whole 30 compliant breakfast and lunch, my dinner was not. I skipped the booze, the peanuts and potato chips, and the cake, but I could not pass on the homemade tortillas -- whole grain corn, handmade on a real tamal, over an open fire. I suspect all the fillings for the tortillas were W30-compliant, but the tortillas were to die for. I've had them before. It was a very conscious decision, much like choosing to have 3-layer chocolate cake for my birthday once a year!. 

My apologies to all of you. I am off to start my own thread, or find a group that is starting tomorrow! I have made great headway on these first ten days, but rules are rules. Hopefully the clean eating I did will make it easier this time, and I can avoid some of those Week One side effects.

Stay the course. Be honest with yourself. Only 20 days to go, actually 19!

14 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

@jpags99 When will you start your new Whole30 with your friend? Will you start a new thread on the forum?

I will probably start again sometime this week. My friend is going to start next week, but I will be a little bit ahead of her because 1. I can be less "foggy" and cranky and more of a support for her when she starts, and 2. I just hate feeling bloated and yucky, so I want to start again asap!

I will probably start another thread and have her contribute to it too. (she and her hubs had a momentary freakout about no alcohol on July 4th, but I assured them it's worth it to not drink!)

Great idea to start a little bit before your friend. And I agree about the bloated and yucky. I am back on Whole 30 today. I have three goals to make this one easier -- drink more water, put the nuts on the shelf under DHs desk, and get more exercise.

By the way, I had no problem not drinking alcohol at the fiesta yesterday. There was plenty of beer and tequila, but I chose water. They had agua fresca for the kids and the non-drinking adults. That's basically fresh fruit and water, but it usually has some added sugar, so I decided not to chance it. I did not want to unleash the Sugar Dragon!

I'll be on the lookout for your new thread. In the meantime, get yourself psyched for a new Beginning!

On 6/11/2017 at 4:08 PM, iteach said:

Today I bought a $20 used round kitchen table from a local yard sale (Yeah, I know...there goes my "fun money". But I have a hobby now.), that has an extension to expand into a lovely table.  It needs some work (I have time and in need of a hobby), but the hardware (authentic metal wheel turns and locks underneath), and the details of the table are just impressive! It has really good wood "bones" and just needs a face lift. I'll start sanding on it and deciding to either just add a poly. coat or stain once I can see what it looks like.

Yay for hobbies! I love to refinish furniture, but haven't had the time in quite a while. The table sounds like it will be lovely - have fun!

I made it through the dinner, but it was rough. Our friends brought an "interesting" bottle of wine that they wanted us to try, and when I told them I wasn't drinking I felt like I was letting them down. Don't get me wrong - they were super supportive and wonderful - I just felt like the odd man out, you know? I know things like this shouldn't bother me, but they do. At any rate we ended up having a great evening, so that was good.

The weekdays are pretty easy for me, as they are all about routine. It's the weekends where I flounder. Also, DH is out of town again, so feeding a house full of hungry kids W30 compliant fare can turn mealtime into a battleground, which is exhausting when I'm doing it on my own. So I usually end up cooking something for them, and then making/scrounging something else for me. Thank the good Lord for broiled chicken and hard boiled eggs! ;)

How is everyone else doing? We are almost half-way there!! I'm still waiting for the Tiger Blood to kick in. Has anyone else gotten there yet?

Archived