Timing of meal 1 and PreWo

Tjavi

Hello ... I'm having a hard time with the timing of meal one and preWo or do I even need both? My focus is on the reset but I would love to lose some weight along the way as well. 

I wake up at 9am and workout from 10-11 ... light weight training or Pilates. I don't sleep till midnight.

How long does their need to be between meal 1 and my workout ? More asking how long before my workout can I eat fat that is apart of meal 1? And do I need to get in meal 1 and preWo in before my workout?

or just preWo before, postWo right after, and then meal 1 30-60min later? 

I typically stay around 1200 cal per day prior to whole30 so I don't want to be over eating more than what I am used to. 

Thank you 

• Moderators

You can either eat meal 1 as soon as you get up, and then go work out, skipping the pre-wo, or if you don't feel you'll be able to work out after eating a full meal, eat a pre-wo first thing. Either way, eat your post-wo soon after your workout, and then if you haven't yet, meal 1. Either option is fine, just figure out what works best for you. The biggest consideration here is really what's comfortable for you, as sometimes a full meal an hour or less before a workout doesn't really sit well for most people, so they opt for just the pre-wo. 

Pre-WO should include fat and protein, so the fat in meal 1 is not a consideration. Post-WO should be lean protein and starchy vegetable, no fat. 

Try to let go of the thought of calories, and follow the meal template. All calories are not really equal, and if you're doing Whole30, all the foods you're eating are nutrient dense foods that are making you healthier -- many people are surprised that they eat a lot more volume of food than they're used to, but that's okay. You may also have days where you eat a lot more than usual because you're hungry, and that also is okay. Our bodies change, our nutritional needs change, there's no one magic amount of food that is always going to be right for you forever. 

Thank you so much ... this was really helpful. Just one thing I asked incorrectly in the beginning ... I meant to say how long before working out is it ok to consume carbs and also fruit, not fat ? 

I am thinking to wake up as early as I need to have meal 1 before workout and skip preWo and just do preWo on mornings I'm in a time crunch. 

And yes, I'm not going to count calories during whole30 ... I was just sharing what my body is used to. 

Thank you again so much 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Tjavi said:

Thank you so much ... this was really helpful. Just one thing I asked incorrectly in the beginning ... I meant to say how long before working out is it ok to consume carbs and also fruit, not fat ? 

I am thinking to wake up as early as I need to have meal 1 before workout and skip preWo and just do preWo on mornings I'm in a time crunch. 

And yes, I'm not going to count calories during whole30 ... I was just sharing what my body is used to. 

Thank you again so much 

I"m not going to give you an exact time, but more the rational behind not eating fruit/carbs before you work out.  You want your body to become fat adapted (burn your own body fat for fuel).  If you have carbs/fruit before you workout, you've given your body fast and easy fuel so it doesn't need to do the harder work of burning body fat.  You can spend a bit of time on google and see what digestion rates are etc... but I think you wouldn't want to eat easy fuel for at least an hour before you workout, maybe longer.  A hint for whether or not your body is using easy fuel or trying to burn fat is whether you have a slump in performance for a few workouts where your body is working on converting to fat burning.  If your workouts are still a breeze after a week or so, then you 'might' be providing easy fuel... does that make sense?

Yes thank you ... I'm fine with having no veggie carbs or fruit in the morning before I work out  ... I was just trying to follow the formula for meal 1. I'm only finishing day 1 so I'll just pay attention to what I feel like my body needs. Thank you again. 

Archived