7 Day Meal Plan and cost of the program

Trev

On page 199 of the Whole30 book, it says, "Download a complete shopping list for this 7-day meal plan at www.whole30.com/pdf-downloads"

I was unable to find this download, so done some searching and have discovered there is no such thing! Can anyone confirm that there is indeed no such thing? I have found the below link from another user which they have kindly created themselves:

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-7-day-shopping-list.pdf

My first impressions of this list are WOW, so much food!!!! Which leads me to my next question, now that I see everything required for one week, has anyone actually calculated how much money it costs to purchase the food required for a successful Whole30 program?

Thanks.

I was eating paleo for quite some time before I ever embarked on a Whole30 so I had most of the staples in my cupboards, so the first shop is always going to be the most expensive where you're having to replace oils, tinned products etc that contain off plan ingredients.

That said, I've never followed a meal plan. In the beginning I found work arounds for my favourite recipes until I got into the way of things. Mostly though I'll prep a couple of protein options (maybe a whole chicken in the slow cooker, a beef chilli, and some pulled pork for instance - all very simple), then I'll prep a couple of different veg dishes (usually roasted root veg & some kind of sauteed greens - usually a mix of something like kale, collards, spring greens etc.), I'll ensure I have a selection of salad veg, and plenty of eggs & tinned fish on hand, then I can just pick a protein & some veg and add a serving of fat in the form of olives, mayo, avocado or clarified butter and my meals are ready without me having to eat the exact same meal day in, day out...

Recipes can be costly (especially if the items are out of season!) & time consuming, and many people feel overwhelmed as it is in the early days - just keep it super simple and you're more likely to succeed.

To keep costs down I look for offers in the supermarkets, buy only in season produce, make good friends with my local butcher, green grocer & fishmonger, & plan my meals around what I can find....

16 minutes ago, Trev said:

On page 199 of the Whole30 book, it says, "Download a complete shopping list for this 7-day meal plan at www.whole30.com/pdf-downloads"

I was unable to find this download, so done some searching and have discovered there is no such thing! Can anyone confirm that there is indeed no such thing? I have found the below link from another user which they have kindly created themselves:

My first impressions of this list are WOW, so much food!!!! Which leads me to my next question, now that I see everything required for one week, has anyone actually calculated how much money it costs to purchase the food required for a successful Whole30 program?

Thanks.

The shopping list download on the website is a generic one, not for a week 1 meal plan. 

Personally, I don't believe in a meal plan (or in complicated recipes) on a Whole30. I shop and like @jmcbn I buy what's available/affordable and then make meals out of it. I rely on frozen vegetables to supplement fresh--a great way for a single person to avoid wasting produce. I make my fats (homemade mayo and clarified butter/ghee) buying KerryGold butter if I can afford it and the cheapest store brand if I can't. I mixed and matched proteins-fats-veggies for template meals.

You can spend a ton of money doing Whole30 or a ridiculously small amount., See this thread from last year and take a look at @kirkor and his cheapskate thread linked in the discussion:

I did invest in some spice blends (cheaper for me than buying whole jars of spices and not using them up in a reasonable time). I like the ones from Primal Palate. Those spice blends and a George Forman grill make for easy and affordable meals. Anytime I cooked anything, I at least doubled it and presto, there was another meal.

Personally I saved a ton of money doing Whole30 as I didn't buy any processed foods, didn't eat out, and didn't waste any food. :)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Trev said:

Thanks.

When I'm on my game, I can do a week's worth of food for $100.  That includes anything that goes in my mouth, coffee, sparkling water, food etc... I will grant that I got to this place after having been eating the Whole30 way for some time, but it doesn't have to be super expensive... as the posters above have said, there are ways to make it less expensive and we have some members who have intentionally put themselves on a strict budget to see how they can manage.

@Trev:  Hello all.  When I first got The Whole30 book I immediately got side tracked by page 22 and was directed on the forum to "just google Wle30 breakfasts" (for instance). That led me into link after link and I chose to hand-write the recipes so I would become familiar.  Whatever sounded good I copied, from cereal bowls to salmon frittattas...you get the idea.  Anyway I then cleared out my pantry and created a shopping list from the recipes.  I overbought on the produce but then investigated smarter storage techniques.  The only thing I lost was a sprig of mint.  However, my car had had broken down and I used Pea Pod for the first time (through Stop n' Shop, which also offers organic).  Grand total $400.  Not the way to go on a budget, which I am.  Still, everything is going to be used and although my official start date is June 1 I have already begun (not counting yet) and using up a few non-compliant things.  I feel great already at about 95% compliance, most days 100%.  Whatever I left behind that wasn't good for me had really taken me out.  Grateful for this program is an understatement.  I do not expect to pay $400 again, but that was the honest'beginner' fee for me.

13 minutes ago, Jane3797 said:

cereal bowls

Sorry, but when you're going for 100% compliance these are no bueno.... Fauxmeal, N'oatmeal etc may well be made with compliant ingredients, but break the 'no recreating old foods' rule. I know there are a HUGE amount of these tagged as Whole30 on IG & Pinterest, but they're out for your 30 days.

You can easily create meals for one week using similar ingredients. It's not hard, really. I will use some recipes too, but eating clean should not break the bank. Buy the veggies that are on sale, but take note some pantry items like coconut aminos might be a bit pricey (including spice) but it's not that you're buying this item every time you shop. Also, going organic isn't required for the Whole 30. 

Archived