Strategy for gathering ingredients

Trev

Guys I'm currently looking through the 7 day meal plan on page 196 of the book, and I now feel quite anxious about the best way to gather all these ingredients. I'm currently flipping back and forward between the meal, and the page that the meal is listed on. So for example the very first meal is "Spinach Frittata" so i'm skipping to page 206, and jotting down what ingredients this requires.

Then there are things included in the menus such as "Ranch Dressing" which are actually their own thing as well. 

I feel like there could be a better way to do this? The 7 day meal plan referenced on the bottom of page 199 would be really handy right now, if it actually existed. Even somewhere containing a list of all the dressings, so I don't have to pluck these out of individual menus.

Any help appreciated!!!

Hey @Trev - sorry - there is no actual shopping list other than the one I believe you linked to yesterday created by one of the forum members.

If you're finding the process overwhelming I'd honestly step away from the meal plan and just think about what you like to eat & how you can make it all compliant. Perhaps if you give us a run down of some meals that you like we can suggest how you can tweak these? As I say often - keep it simple.

I'm actually already thinking about giving up before I even start! I am literally sitting here trying to compile some type of list, so I can head off to the supermarket, but I just dont know where to even start. The 7 day meal plan is a great idea, but I really feel let down that this isn't accompanied by an official Whole30 list of ingredients, for the likes of myself who struggle with this kind of thing. And the unofficial list which I linked, is itself overwhelming! 

Then there is the list of equipment that's needed...

I can tell this is is going to be an uphill battle for me from day zero..

2 minutes ago, Trev said:

I'm actually already thinking about giving up before I even start! I am literally sitting here trying to compile some type of list, so I can head off to the supermarket, but I just dont know where to even start. The 7 day meal plan is a great idea, but I really feel let down that this isn't accompanied by an official Whole30 list of ingredients, for the likes of myself who struggle with this kind of thing. And the unofficial list which I linked, is itself overwhelming! 

Then there is the list of equipment that's needed...

I can tell this is is going to be an uphill battle for me from day zero..

One meal at a time. :) Can you cook eggs? Do you have a frying pan? A stove with an oven? A broiler or grill? I did Whole30 with one skillet, one saucepan and an oven. The grill was an add-on . . . 

I just started today, but here is what I did in prep.   You may find it useful or maybe not.   I already used a shopping list app so I modified it for use with this program.   I have used Anylist for a few years cause my wife and I can update a shared list.   Anyway it supports meal plans and recipes.    I added a recipe category for whole30.    I started to put in the recipes from the book, but I found that time consuming.   So I went to pinterest and searched for whole30 recipes.    Anylist can import recipes directly from a web page (paid version).  So anything that looked good I added to the recipe list.      In no time I had dozens of recipes. And I added a few simple ones myself.     Then I went to the meal planner in Anylist and started adding meals for each day.   Knowing I would be doing leftovers I would add the same thing 2 days in a row.    From the meal plan I can add ingredients to my list. Then I went to the whole 30 shopping list online pdf and added anything that I thought I might need in addition or things I just wanted on hand.    I reviewed the list and edited duplicate ingredients.   Then I went shopping.

Now you can do this same process without an app, but being a software engineer that's what worked for me.    You could also use a spread sheet or just pen and paper.    At first it's a bit time consuming but once you have a some meals you like it should get easier.     One thing I also did was to plan my week according to how I though work was going to be.   Since I know Tues and Weds will be busy, I have stuff ready to just stick in the oven when I get home today and tomorrow is reheat and serve :)

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I had to basically calm myself down a bit and just tell myself to take it one meal at a time. It's only as complicated as I make it. Anyway, please see below link for my first meal for anyone that's interested :-)

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/44252-very-first-time-starting-june-1st-17/#comment-451911

Archived