just joined!

Suzyann

My start date is June 1.  I have everything ready.  I even renovated my kitchen, in a way.  Added a work table which eased up on the counter space, etc.  To say I am excited is an understatement. :)   Welcome!

Finishing Day 2! I want support too. I prepped a ton today and then ate the prepped food. The baked cauliflower was amazing, but I was supposed to be cooking it for later. Geez. 

I'll be starting tomorrow.  My parents were visiting all week and I'm taking them to the airport this morning (sad face).  But I am ready to start.  My stomach is so not happy with me after all of the dining out, and I feel gross!  I got the real plans app so I know what I'm eating all week, just need to run to the grocery store today.

Good luck on day 1 for you today!

I haven't heard of the Real Plans app. I'll look into that! Here's a funny picture I sent a friend after my prep yesterday: 

Then I wrote, "but I just wanna eat it all right now!"

Motivation from feeling gross is sooo helpful. You'll do great!

RenderedImage.JPG

You've got some really good looking food there!  I have never mastered Brussel sprouts, they always come out way too mushy when I cook them.  I'm guessing I cook them for too long.

I just emptied out all of my cabinets and the fridge of junk/non-compliant food and I'm off to the grocery store now!  I'm feeling a little down since the parents left this morning.  So I'll just keep myself busy and do meal prep.  Normally I'd eat something crappy when I'm feeling a bit down.  I'll have hot tea and home brewed kombucha  instead today.

On 5/30/2017 at 8:21 AM, Suzyann said:

Hi my name is Suzy and I'm just getting ready to start the Whole 30. I'm planning on starting on the 3rd of June. can I link in with a buddy who is starting around this date??

Hi @Suzyann, welcome to the Whole30. Did you get a good start today?  

@HiD, your fridge/prep is awesome!  Do you have people in the house who are still using the non-compliant items?  

@Fallen_LeafRoasted brussels sprouts are my favorite but must be bought fresh.  They last a pretty long time.  Just chop each one in half, spread on sheet lined with parchment and sprinkle with olive oil.  I roast at 475 and they are usually on the over-done side.

Someone was complaining about her sweet potatoes being underdone but I do the exactly as above but chop into fries or chunks.  They are done by the rest of meal prep (also at 475).

You can even get Brussel sprouts pre-halved at Trader Joe's. For these as well as other roasted vegetables I usually use about a 400 degree oven and I have a seasoned (almost black) sheet pan that helps them carmelize. Don't forget to turn over half way through. 

Roasted and carmelized vegetables are, for me, an almost religious experience. :)

Just your basic generic metal baking sheet (the dark metal kind). For this purpose cheaper works as well as more expensive. I also have two metal pie pans I use for roasting smaller quantities or reheating or broiling anything that fits. I just rinse these with soapy water after use and they air dry . . . in the oven. 

Just started today and wanted to chime in. Your fridge looks awesome HiD!  I had a great 1st day and planning on prepping a bunch of salads in mason jars tomorrow morning for lunches all next week. 

I just keep reading and reading. LOTS to learn. 

Fallen_Leaf - what's the app for that you mentioned?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

Well put, @artfossil.  Thanks for adding about turning them halfway.  Whats your pan made of?

If you like them more al dente in the middle, try roasting them without cutting them in half... I put them on parchment on a standard cookie sheet.

@BrendaB The Real Plans app has a lot of recipes in it and I use it to set up meal planning.  You can choose what days you would like to cook, and how many servings you want to make of each meal.  It even puts together a grocery list for you so you can check off items while you're in the store.  I get a bit overwhelmed trying to Google for recipes, so it's nice to have the app to basically just do it for me.

I got my lunches cooked up for the week, wondering if you all would chime in on what you think of the portion sizes though.  I believe the chicken is enough, it's pretty close to the size of my fist.  But I think there isn't enough spinach/veggies.  Should I throw in some sweet potato, or just eat it for a bit and see if I'm staying full?

portionsize.jpg

16 minutes ago, Fallen_Leaf said:

I got my lunches cooked up for the week, wondering if you all would chime in on what you think of the portion sizes though.  I believe the chicken is enough, it's pretty close to the size of my fist.  But I think there isn't enough spinach/veggies.  Should I throw in some sweet potato, or just eat it for a bit and see if I'm staying full?

portionsize.jpg

Hard to tell portions but think palms, not fists and when in doubt throw in more protein. Heap your plate with veggies, so no that doesn't look like enough and adding sweet potato or another veggie would be good.  And where are your 1-2 servings of fats? Mayo, avocado, ghee, olives? Those are crucial to keep you satisfied and alert. Observe how you feel and you can go 4-5 hours after meal 2, great, if not eat more!

Hi all! Yes, we have 6 kids who eat all the non-compliant stuff. I am fine with how all of them eat, as feeding the masses is a challenge. (I finally found support with this forum for big families, though, so we'll see how this affects them!). 

BIG WIN FOR ME! 

My parents trigger bad eating for me (I have found over the years), and after the girls' big dance recital last night, my parents wanted to take all 8 of us out, so I called the restaurant ahead, stopped by my house and warmed up some of the awesome turkey I had prepped (see pic), a little ziplock of compliant avacado mayo (just in case), and the Brussels sprouts, and we (hubby and I) did salad bar with turkey and brussel sprouts. It was easy and filled me to happy. He used non-compliant balsamic vinaigrette from the salad bar, but I will mention that to him later. ;) mayo worked great with salt and pepper. 

Yay! 

Good job everyone on preparing.  That's the trick!!!

@HiD Way to go staying compliant while eating out!  Also, kudos to you for putting in the effort to make this work for you with that big family of yours!

Day 1 for me!  It was tough getting breakfast down, I had to force it.  I have not eaten breakfast for years, so that will take some getting used to.  

Google Physical kitchness orange balsamic brussel sprouts for my DELICIOUS recipe I use. I used grapefruit because that's what I had on hand to squeeze and it was ahhmazzing. 

Archived