What am I looking for reaction-wise?

Veritaserum

I finished my first Whole30 on Monday 10/29. On Tuesday I had yogurt at breakfast, a glass of milk, cheese at lunch, and ice cream after dinner. Wednesday I felt completely fine all day. On Wednesday I fried my sweet potatoes and eggs in butter, drank a glass of milk at lunch, had butter on my potato at dinner, and ice cream after dinner. This morning (Thursday) I feel a little bloated. I have not had any dairy so far today.

I'm thinking the bloating is probably a dairy reaction, right? I don't have any other issues like headache, congestion, nausea, etc.

Should I have a clean day today and try wheat tomorrow? Or should I try dairy more?

Yep, the bloating is what I experience with both dairy and gluten grains. Also stomach upset (as in gas) and a general malaise feeling.

I think the way you are supposed to do it, if you do it as the book says, is one day of one intro. then go 2 days on W30 to settle down and then on the third day introduce another thing, but don't also include the dairy. I see people do it all sorts of different ways, so not sure if it's all that important, but it seems to me, you'd want to get rid of all sypmtoms before introducing something new. It may even be 3 days inbetween. When I finished my second W30 (actually, more like W45) I added dairy..hated it and had no intention of adding anything else. Then I tried gluten grains and felt very bloated..almost like I ate an entire jar of salty pickles. Even my eyes were puffy. I didn't introduce anything else because I don't care about beans and I know sugar will simply make me want more sugar.

• Moderators

Some people have little to no obvious reactions to dairy and maybe that includes you. That doesn't mean dairy is good for you, but it does suggest your consequences are mild. Of course, there can be subtle reactions that are difficult to connect like not sleeping as well as you otherwise would. I mention sleep because that was the most obvious benefit I got from doing a Whole, but I have yet to figure out what change in my diet helped me begin sleeping better.

I had a similar benefit to my Whole30 as Tom. Sleep (which I've been pretty lousy at my whole life) got great during my Whole30 and I still haven't figured out what disrupts it otherwise! I think in my case, it might be a combination of things.

I had what I would consider zero reaction to eating gluten (bread, mainly) in the first couple of days after my first reintroduction. BUT, many weeks later, after about 4 days of small gluten things in my diet in a row, my face broke out something awful. I'm 44 years old for pete's sake! Clearer skin was a benefit to my going paleo 15 months ago, but I would never have thought it was the gluten that was causing the problem. Had I not eaten that much and for that long of a period of time, I might not have ever figured it out. So my point is that you are going to have to play around with your reintroduction in different ways to see what kinds of reactions you get. And sometimes, you'll be surprised at what you discover!

Archived