Kaylee1's whole30 june/2017

Kaylee1

Hi

I introduced myself on the general June 1st thread but I decided to start my own- hope that's okay!

In my part of the world it is now 12:15 am,  and so I am 15 minutes in to my whole30. I did have a minor binge at 11:30 pm to "finish up" some things which is obviously unnecessary but I think I got it out of my system.

I took the day off from work tomorrow, so I menu planned this evening and will shop tomorrow for 2 weeks, with plans to fill in fresh fruits and vegetables as needed. 

my general plan is - eggs and veggies for breakfast (prepared with as much variety as possible) 

lunch at work - cold leftovers from the night before. otherwise salad and tuna/sardines (something from a can)

supper to cook fresh every day. I'm not sure yet what, but I will be stocking up on chicken/turkey/chopped meat etc.

all ideas and suggestions welcome!

I was doing great today, but I got a sugar crash in the last few hours. Goes to show how bad my eating habits were and how desperately I need this reset.

For breakfast I had a big omelette , and lettuce , tomato and olive salad.

Lunch was tuna with homemade mayo! I really did it. Though my immersion blender was showing its age (9 years old) and was heating up, I was scared to burn it out. So halfway through I took out my food processor with blender attachment.

honestly, not loving the taste of olive oil. I'm used to the tastelessness of canola oil. Any suggestions?

at some point in the afternoon I had some almonds. and I drank a lot of water, yay!

I was so happy that my kids supper didn't tempt me (lasagna) . I hope to transition them over to healthier eating as well, but since they eat earlier than me it's not as crucial for the success of my whole30.

I ate dinner with my husband, I made spicy fish with potatoes and sw potatos- came out really good. He's happy to go along with whatever I'm eating for dinner, though breakfast and lunch he'll be sticking to his regulars.

So that's it for today, guys. thanks for being there! 

I might have a fruit or hard boiled egg if I get hungry again before bedtime. Maybe I'll even go to sleep early ^_^

Starting day number 4 here...

I'm feeling great. Somehow this is both easier and harder than I expected. I'm trying to organize my thoughts and articulate why. The craving for sugar/carbs has not passed, it hits mostly in the evening hours . But I have my mantra "you owe yourself these 30 days". The bread, pasta, whatever it is , can wait. 

Spent Saturday with family- That's our Shabbat. Long elaborate meals, with many compliant foods so I was not hungry! Though I had watermelon for dessert. It isn't recommended, right? I got away with a sip of grape juice instead of wine- hope no one thinks I'm pregnant , lol. Also we start the meal with bread, but I ate the bare minimum needed and I read here on the forum that I can consider that I am still compliant. Right? 

My nursing baby (4 months) has been slightly under the weather, and I'm wondering if she's having a sugar detox as well? That will really make me feel guilty for feeding her "junky" breastmilk all this time. 

today's breakfast was a nice amount of fresh cut up veggies with 2 hard boiled eggs and a handful of almonds.

have a great day everyone!

• Moderators

Hey @Kaylee1 - to answer your question, yes, eating the smallest amount of bread possible to fulfill your religious obligations is fine.  Some do use gluten free bread during their Whole30 as at least it takes the most inflammatory offender in bread, gluten, out of the mix, but if you can't or don't want to, then no harm, no foul.

Take it easy on nuts; you mentioned them for breakfast and I don't know if you've been eating them consistently but we recommend limiting to a closed handful every other day at most due to their being an inferior fat source as well as gut disruptive for many.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping, for most people that's at least 3-4 or you can add an additional protein along with your eggs, like leftover meat from the night before.

Cravings in evening time can actually be a disguise for being tired, so it's perfectly viable to just go to bed when those evening/late night cravings hit... plus in the first few days, you generally need more sleep anyway as your body undergoes this new pattern of eating and hormone regulation.

Keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey @Kaylee1 - to answer your question, yes, eating the smallest amount of bread possible to fulfill your religious obligations is fine.  Some do use gluten free bread during their Whole30 as at least it takes the most inflammatory offender in bread, gluten, out of the mix, but if you can't or don't want to, then no harm, no foul.

Take it easy on nuts; you mentioned them for breakfast and I don't know if you've been eating them consistently but we recommend limiting to a closed handful every other day at most due to their being an inferior fat source as well as gut disruptive for many.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping, for most people that's at least 3-4 or you can add an additional protein along with your eggs, like leftover meat from the night before.

Cravings in evening time can actually be a disguise for being tired, so it's perfectly viable to just go to bed when those evening/late night cravings hit... plus in the first few days, you generally need more sleep anyway as your body undergoes this new pattern of eating and hormone regulation.

Keep up the good work!

thanks!  the bread needs to be made out of wheat, barley, rye spelt or oats. since I was a guest I ate what they had-which was wheat. But I'll be home next week so I can make it spelt (low- gluten) or with gluten free oat flour.

I should limit my nuts- I find it helpul because of the breastfeeding- I'm scared to lose my milk. But I guess I should get more protein and I need to get to the store for some avacados!

I definitely need more sleep, so what you say makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I'll get to bed earlier and skip those evening cravings.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Kaylee1 said:

thanks!  the bread needs to be made out of wheat, barley, rye spelt or oats. since I was a guest I ate what they had-which was wheat. But I'll be home next week so I can make it spelt (low- gluten) or with gluten free oat flour.

I should limit my nuts- I find it helpul because of the breastfeeding- I'm scared to lose my milk. But I guess I should get more protein and I need to get to the store for some avacados!

I definitely need more sleep, so what you say makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I'll get to bed earlier and skip those evening cravings.

Okay so if you're breastfeeding, then we relax the 3 meals a day thing and encourage pregnant and breastfeeding moms to eat more... usually 4 meals or 4 meals and a fourth split into two mini meals.  People who are breastfeeding may also like to sip on coconut milk through the day, use a lot more fat in their meals (not nuts) and in general eat more.  Avocado, coconut milk, olives, animal fats, pesto... 

I'm finishing up day 4 here, trying to get to bed early (yawn :) )

I made a big broccoli frittata today, so simple! I  sauted onions (in coconut oil) , then mixed it together with broccoli and 10 eggs, some salt , and baked for an hour.

This should be enough for 3-4 breakfasts hopefully. 

I made a big vegetable soup , which my kids liked. so it won't last me as long as I thought but for a good reason :) I'm so happy when they're eating well.

I also grilled chicken breasts with spices, yum! 

goodnight everyone! good luck with the rest of day 4, and on to day 5!

Good morning to all day 5-ers!

I had so much energy this morning. I wake up early and generally need to draaaag myself out of bed. Today, I just jumped right up! It was amazing.

I had a bit of a stomach upset after breakfast, and I'm starting to think that eggs don't agree with me. Or at least not so many, or eating them every day.
I think I have to dial back on the eggs , not sure yet what to replace them with.

Here's to another great day :) 

• Moderators

Hey there - I've moved your thread to the Whole30 log section for a better fit.  Please note that these logs are not moderated so if you would like feedback on your meals, please tag a moderator.

On to day 8....

I was really struggling with adding fats to my meals - I didn't have avocados in my local store for some reason. I made mayo out of olive oil and couldn't stand the taste/smell. I searched for other olives, but avocado oil is really expensive for some reason , and there was no extra-light olive oil someone recommended. 

So I sort of skipped the fat, besides a minimal amount of olive oil on salads, also I added some nuts and some olives to some meals. I wasn't even so hungry, but on day 6 I saw that unfortunately I was losing my milk :( I'm EBF my baby who's 4 months, and I am not ready to introduce and formula. But she was hungry.

So yesterday (day 7) I went to a further store and got avocados.

For lunch I combined a can of tuna (packed in water) with half an avocado. Together  with a big salad it was really great! 

I made sure to drink a ton of water! 

And I am happy to report that my milk is back , and feels like more than before :)

For breakfast today I had hard boiled eggs, and veggies sticks dipped in avocado dip (mashed avocado with garlic and salt).

I found sardines packed in olive oil, which is great. But I'm not sure how else to get in the fat, if I don't make mayo.

have a great day!

Archived