Pre and Post Workout Meal Planning

Hello!

I started my Whole30 on Monday and today was my first [evening] gym session since.  I work until 5, so my plan has been to get home at 5:30 and before or after I change for the gym, I'd eat my protein and fat for pre workout per the template.  Today (first time) was a hard boiled egg and half an avocado.  Then I'd get home just after 7:30 and we'd eat dinner then.

However, tonight I ate AFTER 8pm, which sounds/feels SO late.  Can you even eat too late on this?  I'm sure you can.  The template says to stoayp eating a few hours before bed; I'd take that to mean at least 3.  That should work, but only for today, as I don't hope to make going to bed after 11 a habit.  Especially when i start my 10 hour days again next week and I work at 6:30a.m.  And also, this means I didn't get a post workout meal.  Given the timeline of my evening I don't know if I'll be able to fit that in.  Not w/o eating a super early dinner...which even in that case would replace the pre workout snack.

The pre wo snack is supposed to be small protein which dinner isn't. And the post workout is supposed to be a bonus meal...which it isn't in my current timeline

So, really I'm looking for advice on how to handle and properly space out my  pre evening workout snack, post workout snack, and dinner when I get home 5:30, leave for the gym before 6:15, and get home around 7:45.  HELP!  lol.

Any advice is appreciated!  Thanks! :)

• Moderators

So pre-workout isn't as important... you could even eat a small snack between lunch and working out or eat an early dinner... preworkout tells your body that fuel is imminently incoming, so it burns its fuel stores (fat).  As long as you steer clear of fruit and starchy carbs in that mini meal, you should be fine.

Post workout is important for muscle recovery, so you really want to figure out a way to get that in.  Post workout is protein and starchy carbs, but it's a 'bonus meal... not really a whole meal, just a few bites of each as you're driving home from the gym... it should not ruin your appetite for dinner, should you eat dinner after... 

Just in addition to what SUgarcube has said above I'd add that the postWO meal can be eaten literally as soon as you're done training. I usually eat mine in the changing rooms when I'm grabbing my bag/before I jump into the shower - then I eat my next meal once I'm showered.

Since postWO is for protein muscle synthesis without it you may find you start to struggle to recover. Combining it with another meal defeats the purpose as the fat in the template meal will slow down digestion, and therefore absorption of nutrients, preventing protein muscle synthesis, and skipping the fat & making your postWO meal larger won't keep provide satiety leaving you more likely to want to snack.....

What fat and starchy carb can I have "on the go"?  I can do a HB egg...but starch?

And if I eat it at say 7:30-7:40, then eat dinner at 7:50-8, is that enough time in between?  I'm thinking not, but that's just the time line I'm working with...without eating (and making my husband wait to eat) until after 8.

Thanks!!

You don't want fat post WO, and personally I don't do the starchy veg either. The starchy veg was thought to have speeded up the muscle protein synthesis by causing a spike in insulin, but research has shown recently that it's not actually necessary, and provided you're eating enough starchy veg on a daily basis you should be replacing muscle glycogen effectively anyway.

So portable lean protein options - egg whites, roast chicken, drained tuna (in spring water), pork chop.....

I'd aim to leave about 30mins between postWO and your next meal.

Hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

You don't want fat post WO, and personally I don't do the starchy veg either. The starchy veg was thought to have speeded up the muscle protein synthesis by causing a spike in insulin, but research has shown recently that it's not actually necessary, and provided you're eating enough starchy veg on a daily basis you should be replacing muscle glycogen effectively anyway.

So portable lean protein options - egg whites, roast chicken, drained tuna (in spring water), pork chop.....

I'd aim to leave about 30mins between postWO and your next meal.

Hope this helps.

Meant protein!  Lol, whoops.

That helps!  I can do an egg, or some drained tuna!  Thanks!

But if I have that post WO meal...wait 30 mins...I'm not eating dinner until after 8, and it's recommended you stop eating 3 hours before bed...and yea, an 8:00 dinner does NOT sound good, lol.

What am I to do?!

4 minutes ago, thinbythirty said:

That helps!  I can do an egg, or some drained tuna!  Thanks!

But if I have that post WO meal...wait 30 mins...I'm not eating dinner until after 8, and it's recommended you stop eating 3 hours before bed...and yea, an 8:00 dinner does NOT sound good, lol.

What am I to do?!

P.S. not trying to be complicated...it's just the way my schedule works, eek! <_<

I occasionally eat @ 8pm & got to bed @ 9:30pm and and I'm still here ;)

How many nights a week do you train?

20-30mins and you'll be good to eat.

Not the egg yolk though, just the whites.......

10 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

I occasionally eat @ 8pm & got to bed @ 9:30pm and and I'm still here ;)

How many nights a week do you train?

20-30mins and you'll be good to eat.

Not the egg yolk though, just the whites.......

Lol...but my poor husband!  Hahaha. :/

Oh, just the whites?!  Hm, didn't know that!  I mean, just for PostWO, though, right?

2 weeknights.

2 minutes ago, thinbythirty said:

Lol...but my poor husband!  Hahaha. :/

Oh, just the whites?!  Hm, didn't know that!  I mean, just for PostWO, though, right?

2 weeknights.

Yep, just the whites post WO as the yolk contains fat. If you want to take a preWO then the whole egg is fine as you're looking to eat protein &/or fat before - I usually just eat fat.

And we're talking 8 nights out of 30 then - I think you & your husband will survive!! Just be sure to eat meals that you'll digest easily - no cruciferous veg would be a good starting point!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 1:33 PM, jmcbn said:

Yep, just the whites post WO as the yolk contains fat. If you want to take a preWO then the whole egg is fine as you're looking to eat protein &/or fat before - I usually just eat fat.

And we're talking 8 nights out of 30 then - I think you & your husband will survive!! Just be sure to eat meals that you'll digest easily - no cruciferous veg would be a good starting point!

Personally, I wouldn't eat egg whites. Is it Whole30 compliant? Sure, but in my opinion, it goes against the spirit of a paleo diet (whole30 or any other version). Ancestral eating is based on eating whole, real foods. Eating egg whites without the rest of the egg isn't natural, and it's only something humans have been doing for 40-50 years. It's far too similar to low fat milk in that you're removing a natural part of the food and creating a new, hybrid food that just doesn't feel real. 

ISWF, Chapter 13 addresses eating only egg whites.

Paleo is confusing.  Whole 30 is clear.

There are no hard fast rules for Paleo because everyone's definition is different - 80/20, 60/40, full fat dairy, alternative flours and paleo treats that have more sugars added to replace the flours. 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, manley0702 said:

Personally, I wouldn't eat egg whites. Is it Whole30 compliant? Sure, but in my opinion, it goes against the spirit of a paleo diet (whole30 or any other version). Ancestral eating is based on eating whole, real foods. Eating egg whites without the rest of the egg isn't natural, and it's only something humans have been doing for 40-50 years. It's far too similar to low fat milk in that you're removing a natural part of the food and creating a new, hybrid food that just doesn't feel real. 

No one has to eat only egg whites, but if the person in question wanted a lean protein for post workout, which is what is being discussed, then the egg white would be the ticket and they could have eaten the yolk for their pre-workout (protein and fat).  The whole30 100% supports eating whole foods as they are found in nature, including eggs and the egg white discussion is ONLY for post workout.

9 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

No one has to eat only egg whites, but if the person in question wanted a lean protein for post workout, which is what is being discussed, then the egg white would be the ticket and they could have eaten the yolk for their pre-workout (protein and fat).  The whole30 100% supports eating whole foods as they are found in nature, including eggs and the egg white discussion is ONLY for post workout.

I never argued that eating egg whites isn't whole30 compliant. I simply gave my opinion as to why I think it's less than optimal, even for PWO.  For the record, I also think that eating Larabars and drinking compliant almond milk is less than optimal while it's still Whole 30 compliant. Eating shrimp or steak.

Archived