Homemade Mayo for Kids Lunch

ks23023

My kids aren't doing W30 with me, but I feel silly having my homemade mayo and then a bottle of Best Foods mayo both in the fridge.  Hubby likes the homemade stuff better too, so I'm trying to just have one mayo in the fridge.

But I worry about using the homemade mayo in their lunches and it staying cool enough to be safe.  I pack their lunches with an icepack, but I'm not sure how cold it really stays.   Am I just worrying to much or should I skip the mayo unless they are at home?

1 hour ago, ks23023 said:

My kids aren't doing W30 with me, but I feel silly having my homemade mayo and then a bottle of Best Foods mayo both in the fridge.  Hubby likes the homemade stuff better too, so I'm trying to just have one mayo in the fridge.

But I worry about using the homemade mayo in their lunches and it staying cool enough to be safe.  I pack their lunches with an icepack, but I'm not sure how cold it really stays.   Am I just worrying to much or should I skip the mayo unless they are at home?

Commercial mayo also has eggs. Your mayo will be fine for several hours without refrigeration. If you're using an ice pack, you're doubly safe. Salmonella in eggs is extremely rare. 

Although personally, I wouldn't want to share my homemade mayo with anyone else, preferring to keep it all for myself. :)

• Moderators

I don't think it's much of a concern... I've left the mayo on the counter and then put it back in the fridge hours later... I also don't refrigerate my lunch at work so it leaves the fridge in my home around 730 and sits on my desk in my office until noonish... no cooler bag... Never even a burble in my stomach...

Archived