Calories - do I really not count them???

TheresaMary

When you eat per the whole30 guidelines something amazing happens - your innate ability to self regulate how much you eat turns back on. It's one of the reasons I think eating this way makes so much sense. If you've read the whole9 blog or book you might have seen references to "food with no brakes" which is what they call things like grains and sugar. When you eat them your body has no mechanism to say hey stop eating, you're satiated. But when you're eating real food, your body will know when you've had enough. It's virtually impossible to eat too much steak in the absence of something like bread or potatoes. One of the best things I felt during the whole30 was what it felt like to be full and satisfied but not stuffed. Do follow the templates because just because we say don't count calories it doesn't give you carte blanche to eat as much as you can every chance you have, but don't fret over counting calories!

I counted calories via a website religiously for 4 yrs and had declared that I always would.

After the whole30, I am DONE with calorie counting and love listening to my body. I have a beautiful relationship with food now!

I lost 9 pounds while doing the program, where I had gained 10 in the last two years by my religious calorie counting and measuring. When you count calories, it is so easy to underestimate your intake and overestimate your output. Here, there is no counting; just eating and enjoying with more energy than ever before!

Give it just 30 days. If your life is not changed, go back to counting. Would love to hear your results!

In my case.... I decided to limit compliant foods that cause a trigger in my brain...... Nut butters for instance remind me way to much of sitting on the couch and eating a whole jar of peanut butter.... So I just use them as a condiment to flavor foods and get my fats....

Only one portion of fruit per day and usually sliced up in a larger multi ingredient salad ( chicken with avacado and apple on greens)

For me, I am eating what seems to be a huge amount ( my brain is still conditioned to equate fat as BAD ) but I am full and satiated, never hungry and I am getting shredded!!! ( before W30 I was eating NO sugar, starch, only lean proteins and veg for months, but my body was shutting down and probably burning muscle and I was going nowhere fast). Now with the W30 protocol my body is getting exactly what it needs and I feel like I'm running on rocket fuel .

I find the best part of W30 is it gives you the tools and, as other have posted, to ability to self regulate and eat exactly what you need..... I need to eat a lot more than I was willing to at first

Best of luck....

It's so freeing to not count calories!!!! I have always struggled with weight, and I had been a calorie counter my entire teen/adult life (I'm 31), and I was also a daily weigher. I, too, was very afraid to stop doing either of these things for fear that I'd be muffin-topping my pants before long. But, like so many others who have tried W30, I lost a few pounds instead of gaining, and continuing to very gradually slim down more. In addition I've now have learned to listen to and TRUST my body - it really does tell you when to stop eating, like Johnny M said above, when you aren't eating food with no brakes!!!! To experience this reality is nothing short of miraculous and enlightening. :D

My first Whole30 was back in June. For the first time in years, I didn't count calories, grams, carbs, points, or anything else. And I put my scale in the back of the closet. It was terrifying, but freeing at the same time. I stuck to the plan, and have never regretted it. I lost 18 pounds that month, more than any month I could remember in all the years I obsessively counted and weighed. I just finished my second Whole30, and lost an additional seven pounds. (But a couple of those were pounds I regained after I started slipping up on my eating.)

Five years ago I started a diet that lasted two years. I counted calories and exercised religiously. I lost 100 lbs and was so proud that I had done it the " right way" - balanced low calorie meals and slow but sure weight loss. I weighed myself every day. Five years later? I have put all but 12 lbs back on. I never want to count another calorie again in my life. Just the thought of not having to step on the scale is extremely liberating for me. I am on day 3 of Whole30 and for the first time in a very long time I am optimistic again. I am eating to nourish my body not to lose weight. At age 63 it's about time.

You don't count calories, grams of fat or carbs, or anything else they print on the nutritional labels. You read the list of ingredients to rule it in or rule it out, and that is all. My 8-year old can do this, because if he hits an ingredient he can't pronounce, it's generally ruled out.

It's really hard to overeat the right kind of foods.

Try to finish a 32 oz ribeye and a whole plate of broccoli.... but I sure wouldn't have a problem polishing off an entire box of cookies if challenged!

The processed, "fake" foods that I ate before this lifestyle (The Las Vegas Strip in Your Mouth as Dallas and Melissa call them) have no brakes. You can keep going long past when you aren't hungry... But real foods trigger a hormonal response that causes you to know when to stop. :)

Not counting calories is THE BEST part (I mean... aside from feeling better, looking better, performing better, and sleeping better - HAHA)

• 6 years later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Jbill said:

What is a base for how many calories I should eat a day

Did you read through this discussion before you posted this? Whole30 asks that you not count calories. Follow the meal template, which you can download here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/. Check your ingredients. You don't count calories or fat grams or carbs or anything else.

Archived