So this is happening... again. W30R2

kellyfoss

Howdy folks!

I completed my first successful Whole30 at the end of March (28-29), and I felt better than ever! Lost 11-12 lb, slept like a champion, felt like a superhero in general. Over the past couple of months I have slipped back into old habits and with them came a few regained pounds, old aches, pains, exhaustion and mood changes. I was planning to start my second round toward the end of the summer in August/September, but I decided to go back to school recently to complete my BA and I'm taking summer classes that will pretty much begin to rule my life in the coming months. I think it's gotta be now or never for round 2, need to fit it in where I can. So here we go! I'm starting on Monday June 5th.

Taking this weekend to plan, shop and prep food. I'm interested to see how the second round differs from the first. I certainly feel at an advantage because I already have a wealth of recipes, ideas, meal plans and tricks from last time that worked for me. But I don't want to get overconfident and assume I'll sail through this time without any issues. It's the summer now, and with that comes plenty of temptations in the forms of alcohol, cookouts, parties, etc. I wasn't super challenged back in March because my social calendar was much calmer. We'll see how this goes.

Things I'd like to improve from last time: Less reliance on nuts/nut butters in general. I think I will see even better results if I reduce or eliminate these. And less nightshades - tomatoes, white potatoes, peppers, and so on. I have some autoimmune issues that may benefit from cutting back on this food group.

I'll be weighing and measuring myself on Sunday as a starting point (and then not again for at least the whole month!) but I'm fairly sure I'm sitting at around 151-152 lb right now, 5'8". 

Excited to do this again! Wish me luck. :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Kelly-

Good luck!  Sounds like you know what you're doing! I'm on my second W30, my first was W64.  This time around it's been easier for me- not sure why exactly, but I think it's because I know what to expect and have lived it before.  

Good luck to you! 

5 minutes ago, MrsZimm13 said:

Hey Kelly-

Good luck!  Sounds like you know what you're doing! I'm on my second W30, my first was W64.  This time around it's been easier for me- not sure why exactly, but I think it's because I know what to expect and have lived it before.  

Good luck to you! 

Thank you so much! Good to hear that round 2 is going well for you, that gives me hope! There should definitely be less surprises this time, that's for sure. Good luck to you as well. :)

R2D1

Feels good to be back at it again! Spent a whopping $160 grocery shopping yesterday with the boy - although to be fair, not all of that was food. But half of it was produce, at least! Prepped 8 hardboiled eggs, a whole sheet of roasted sweet potato, a sheet of roasted mushrooms and zucchini, and made my lunch for day 1. Then we proceeded to go over a friend's house for a game night and got pretty drunk. Also ate ALL THE THINGS. Whoops. I always said I'd never do the "binge right up until your program starts" thing but I guess that went out the window! I felt super dehydrated this morning so I made sure to drink a lot of water all day. Started strong with a giant breakfast.

M1: Three scrambled eggs mixed with sweet potato, zucchini and mushrooms. Half an avocado. Coffee with almond milk. A lot of water.

M2: Kale salad with carrots, tomatoes, hardboiled egg, avocado, salt and pepper. Used Primal Kitchen chipotle mayo mixed with a little water and olive oil to make a really good dressing. Yum. That was one thing I missed out on during my first round, I never had decent salad dressing. That's gonna change!

M3: Boyfriend and I sprung for the naughty 8 oz. filets from our local big box store and grilled them along with asparagus, more mushrooms and onions. YUM. More water. La Croix.

I did weigh myself this morning to have an honest starting point and I'm around 155 lb (7-8 lb up from when my last Whole30 ended, but that's to be expected with lots of drinking and eating bad things). I also have been checking my sleep via my FitBit app and it has suffered as well these past couple months. Excited to get back to where I want to be. I'm also going to be incorporating a lot more exercise (as well as almost daily yoga practice) into this round.

Hi Kelly,

I see you are starting on June 5, me too!  This month was a good choice for me because my husband is travelling to china for two weeks during this month.  This will also be my second W30.  I made it to day 28 of my first W30 because of a party.  First go around I lost 8 lbs.  I thought I would lose more, but I really did feel great and had a lot of Non-scale victories.  But since then, I quickly picked up my old bad habits again.  I was shocked to get on the scale this morning and see I'm up to 183!!  W O W.  I'm 6' but that is very heavy as compared to my weight that I feel good at, which is about 160-165.  My main issue is wine.  I am starting to think I will have to give it up forever if I don't want to weigh this much.  I'm 44 and I can tell my body is slowing down metabolically.  Working out 5 days a week and I can't tell a difference.  I have to make some drastic changes.

I planned out my meals for the week yesterday, had a farewell meal and told my family that I'm starting Whole30.  This morning had 2 eggs, 2 campari tomatoes and 1/2 medium avocado.  I'm like you, I have to give up the nut butters.  I know I eat too much of them but they are so darn good with apples.  But I know I can eat that apple by itself and feel just as satisfied afterward!

I agree with you, this go around is going to be easier mainly because I have many recipe resources.  I also know where the pitfalls lie so I've prepared lunches for 4 days this week and I have plenty of meats and veggies in the fridge that I can cook up quickly.  I love many of the Whole30 recipes but some are very labor intensive and I just don't have the time for it with a full time job.

anyway, GOOD LUCK to you and I hope that others join this forum for June 5 start date!!

Nicole 

On 6/5/2017 at 9:01 AM, cashnic72 said:

Hi Kelly,

I see you are starting on June 5, me too!  This month was a good choice for me because my husband is travelling to china for two weeks during this month.  This will also be my second W30.  I made it to day 28 of my first W30 because of a party.  First go around I lost 8 lbs.  I thought I would lose more, but I really did feel great and had a lot of Non-scale victories.  But since then, I quickly picked up my old bad habits again.  I was shocked to get on the scale this morning and see I'm up to 183!!  W O W.  I'm 6' but that is very heavy as compared to my weight that I feel good at, which is about 160-165.  My main issue is wine.  I am starting to think I will have to give it up forever if I don't want to weigh this much.  I'm 44 and I can tell my body is slowing down metabolically.  Working out 5 days a week and I can't tell a difference.  I have to make some drastic changes.

I planned out my meals for the week yesterday, had a farewell meal and told my family that I'm starting Whole30.  This morning had 2 eggs, 2 campari tomatoes and 1/2 medium avocado.  I'm like you, I have to give up the nut butters.  I know I eat too much of them but they are so darn good with apples.  But I know I can eat that apple by itself and feel just as satisfied afterward!

I agree with you, this go around is going to be easier mainly because I have many recipe resources.  I also know where the pitfalls lie so I've prepared lunches for 4 days this week and I have plenty of meats and veggies in the fridge that I can cook up quickly.  I love many of the Whole30 recipes but some are very labor intensive and I just don't have the time for it with a full time job.

anyway, GOOD LUCK to you and I hope that others join this forum for June 5 start date!!

Nicole 

Thanks Nicole! Good luck to you as well, I know we'll both do just fine if we stick to our guns and plan ahead - seriously, planning ahead is the key to W30 success as far as I'm concerned. I'm the same as you, I have a full time job, a part time job, and I'm going to school. Oh, and I'd love to actually spend some time with my S.O., family and friends on occasion. :P So pre-prepping food for the week and sticking to basic, easy meals that I know I like are my secrets. Hang in there and keep kicking butt! 

R2D2 (I'm not gonna lie, the Star Wars nerd in me got a huge kick out of typing that!)

I had to fast all last night and this morning before getting some routine bloodwork done at 8:30, so I wasn't able to eat breakfast until almost 9:30 today. Very late for me. I packed a breakfast and a lunch to bring to work after my appointment.

M1: Two scrambled eggs mixed with a cut up Aidell's apple sausage and diced sweet potatoes, half an avocado, tiny amount of black coffee.

M2: Kale salad with leftover steak from last night - which was AHHHMAZING by the way! Best steak we've ever grilled, hands down. Added cucumber and avocado to the salad with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.

M3: Fish tacos with lettuce wraps! I bought perch over the weekend specifically for this recipe. We'll make some homemade guac and salsa to add to the tacos, as well as some sliced peppers, lime, cilantro, and whatever else we find in the fridge.

I did a half hour of yoga last night but I plan to introduce some HIIT workouts 2-3 times a week moving forward. Just for funsies and to get my cardio in. Feeling good!

Your meals sound scrumptious! I'm guessing you are in another country if you've already completed "R2D2" lol. Here was my Day 1 meals:

B: 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 2 tomatoes

L: a whole30 recipe I found for Chinese chicken salad...I'll be eating that everyday this week

D: Salad w tomato, avocado, tessamae ranch dressing; 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs grilled

1 Apple at night after my daughters swim practice!

Day2 I've only had breakfast so far...scrambled eggs, avocado 1/2 and two tomatoes. My meals are not exciting, but I'm sure I'll make some changes once I start getting sick of this!

Tonight is my husband's birthday so I'm trying to think of a place to go where I'd have some options. 

I don't  know if it's a fluke but I already had an amazing night of sleep last night! I wear a Fitbit and it showed that I had a much higher level than usual of "deep" sleep. I feel so rested today.

22 hours ago, cashnic72 said:

Your meals sound scrumptious! I'm guessing you are in another country if you've already completed "R2D2" lol. Here was my Day 1 meals:

B: 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 2 tomatoes

L: a whole30 recipe I found for Chinese chicken salad...I'll be eating that everyday this week

D: Salad w tomato, avocado, tessamae ranch dressing; 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs grilled

1 Apple at night after my daughters swim practice!

Day2 I've only had breakfast so far...scrambled eggs, avocado 1/2 and two tomatoes. My meals are not exciting, but I'm sure I'll make some changes once I start getting sick of this!

Tonight is my husband's birthday so I'm trying to think of a place to go where I'd have some options. 

I don't  know if it's a fluke but I already had an amazing night of sleep last night! I wear a Fitbit and it showed that I had a much higher level than usual of "deep" sleep. I feel so rested today.

Haha well I'm in the US, eastern timezone. I usually post my log the following morning (so for example I'd post day 3's log on the morning of day 4) but I cheated yesterday and posted it early! Sounds like you're off to a great start, I might suggest one additional egg with breakfast if you can stomach it? I notice I don't feel the need to snack and I can put off lunch a bit longer if I get more protein at breakfast. That's just me though. How is the Tessamae's dressing? I've never tried it, just ordered some Primal Kitchen greek dressing from Amazon. Yumm.

The better sleep thing is no joke. I've always been a pretty deep sleeper but I had several nights on my first W30 where - even without earplugs or anything - I would be sleeping 7-8 hours and 0 times restless. Amazing! :)

Day 3 for me! 

Yesterday I had the usual breakfast (eggs, avo, tomato) and lunch (Chinese chicken salad made ahead).

Dinner was a little challenging but since I've Brent though this before I knew what I could order. Like I mentioned, it was my husbands birthday so we took him out to eat. I had suggested a Mongolian grill place that I knew I could eat at, but at the last minute he changed it up and said "let's go to that New Mexican restaurant."  Noooooo! So I immediately looked up the menu on my phone and found a fajita salad that I could order minus the corn and cojita cheese. It was TOUGH not touching that chip basket but he was sweet enough to order guac for me to snack on too. The salad was phenomenal.

kellyfoss, Tessamae's salad dressing is so amazing, I have tried all their varieties and love them. The balsamic is definitely my fav though. You find it next to the produce area where they have refrigerated dressings (like Marie's). I have found it at HEB but I don't think you have that grocery food chain on the east coast. 

In fact, I like Tessamae's so much that I use it all the time. I don't like dressing that is sweet so that's why I love it.

today's breakfast and lunch are same, most likely leftover chicken thighs for dinner w a salad and some roasted squash and zucchini. 

You are right about the sleep, another great night. Well I know one contributor to my sleep issues was wine, even a couple of glasses made me restless and sweat at night. 

R2D3

Well it's only three days in and already I'm being tested! In multiple ways. Firstly, we went to see a movie last night and upon leaving the theater around midnight, we saw a little calico cat wandering through the parking lot, dodging cars left and right and looking very afraid. Being animal lovers, we couldn't just leave her there to get run over. We scooped her up into our car and she's hanging out in our garage until we can find her owner, or take her to a local shelter. We have three cats of our own so we absolutely cannot keep her. But it is adding another level of stress - especially since the boyfriend is in love with her. She is SUCH a sweetheart. But no. No no no! She needs to go.

Secondly, my work had a big catered lunch today to celebrate the NBA Finals (Go Cavs, woohoo!) and there were so. many. naughty things. I considered not even walking by the tables of food, but figured why not test my resolve? Mistake. They had cheesecake and pizza and cookies and bratwurst and... yeah. I cried a little inside, haha. But I resisted!

M1: Three scrambled eggs with kale, sweet potato hash, coffee with almond milk.

M2: Leftover fish taco salad. Perch, lettuce, avocado, and a salsa made with tomato, onions, cilantro, lime juice, peppers and cucumber. 

M3: Planning to make a creole sausage-and-cauli-rice gumbo thing tonight. Just need to run to the store and grab more bell peppers. I made this during round 1 and it was FAB. Probably my favorite W30 dinner, and it's very warm and comforting.

I just... why do I keep adding layers of stress to my already-full plate? Probably because I know I can handle it. ;) Besides calling around about the kitty (we have dubbed her Regal after Regal Cinema... oi) I plan to do a long yoga practice tonight and try to get ahead on my classwork.

1 hour ago, cashnic72 said:

Day 3 for me! 

Yesterday I had the usual breakfast (eggs, avo, tomato) and lunch (Chinese chicken salad made ahead).

Dinner was a little challenging but since I've Brent though this before I knew what I could order. Like I mentioned, it was my husbands birthday so we took him out to eat. I had suggested a Mongolian grill place that I knew I could eat at, but at the last minute he changed it up and said "let's go to that New Mexican restaurant."  Noooooo! So I immediately looked up the menu on my phone and found a fajita salad that I could order minus the corn and cojita cheese. It was TOUGH not touching that chip basket but he was sweet enough to order guac for me to snack on too. The salad was phenomenal.

kellyfoss, Tessamae's salad dressing is so amazing, I have tried all their varieties and love them. The balsamic is definitely my fav though. You find it next to the produce area where they have refrigerated dressings (like Marie's). I have found it at HEB but I don't think you have that grocery food chain on the east coast. 

In fact, I like Tessamae's so much that I use it all the time. I don't like dressing that is sweet so that's why I love it.

today's breakfast and lunch are same, most likely leftover chicken thighs for dinner w a salad and some roasted squash and zucchini. 

You are right about the sleep, another great night. Well I know one contributor to my sleep issues was wine, even a couple of glasses made me restless and sweat at night. 

I didn't know they sell Tessamae's in stores! I bet our Heinen's might have it, I'm going to check. Thank you! And good for you for staying strong at the Mexican place, that is tough! I think guac has saved my life on many occasions during a W30. Your idea though, the Mongolian grill, was also a great one. I've done that before and it's perfect because you can just build the meal you know you can have, and you can even tell them to grill yours separately or clean the grill first if you have an "allergy" or don't want yours mixing with someone else's. Love it there!

R2D4

Today was/is stressful. Trying to find a place to drop off the stray cat before I cave and decide to keep her (which would literally be insane and cannot happen, we have too many as it is). Most shelters are full or have a waiting list of like a month. So I've been busy worrying about that and forgetting to eat. Didn't eat lunch until the growling of my stomach actually startled me out of my focus at work.

M1: Three scrambled eggs with sweet potato, half an avocado. Coffee.

M2: Leftover Creole sausage and peppers with cauli rice.

M3: No idea yet, probably sauteed mixed veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, snap peas) and whatever protein we have in our freezer. Most likely chicken!

Hoping this cat situation is resolved quickly. I'm an obsessive person and a chronic worrier/overthinker by nature, so until I get this squared away I'll probably be an anxious wreck. Which makes avoiding comfort foods very difficult. But I can manage, just gotta do some calming yoga and focus on the things I can control. Like work and school and planning meals for the weekend and next week. I got this.

Welcome back, Kelly!

It's great that you have a very clear picture of what you want to accomplish this round, what things worked well last time and what challenges you may face.  I love your enthusiasm and willingness to grab this opportunity instead of putting it off.  You've got a lot on your plate (pun intended :)) and chose not to procrastinate.  Awesome!

We're all cheering for you and looking forward to your success!

32 minutes ago, Fallen_Leaf said:

@kellyfoss I'm a big animal lover (especially cats).  That's a really nice thing you did taking care of the stray kitty :)  I think karma will reward you with a good resolution to the situation, even if it takes a bit of time.

Also, congrats on staying strong through the work catering!

Thank you so much! I know it was the right thing to do, if given the chance I'd probably do the same thing again. It's probably worth a bit of stress to find her a good home!

50 minutes ago, Jager07 said:

Welcome back, Kelly!

It's great that you have a very clear picture of what you want to accomplish this round, what things worked well last time and what challenges you may face.  I love your enthusiasm and willingness to grab this opportunity instead of putting it off.  You've got a lot on your plate (pun intended :)) and chose not to procrastinate.  Awesome!

We're all cheering for you and looking forward to your success!

Aw thank you, that means a lot! :) I love this community and how supportive everyone is. I actually am looking forward to seeing how I handle stress without food this time around. It's a lifelong struggle for me, so I feel like this is just "exercising" that muscle, you know? Thank you again. <3

2 hours ago, kellyfoss said:

R2D4

Hoping this cat situation is resolved quickly. I'm an obsessive person and a chronic worrier/overthinker by nature, so until I get this squared away I'll probably be an anxious wreck. Which makes avoiding comfort foods very difficult. But I can manage, just gotta do some calming yoga and focus on the things I can control. Like work and school and planning meals for the weekend and next week. I got this.

YES. You've got this! I know you are worried about kitty but I'm sure you will find a home for her. My SIL seems to find many strays and she takes them to either pets mart or Petco on saturdays when there are several people there with strays. Maybe check in to that?

reminds me of the first time I did W30 and had a houseful of 10 family guests all week. They were on vacay but I was working...so every night I came home to "what's for dinner?" after they'd been at the beach all day! So I was making spaghetti and all kinds of crap like them, while making my own special compliant sauce, making spaghetti squash, salads on the side w my own dressing, etc. I was resentful and totally stressed!! And I constantly got negative comments from the whole family...no support whatsoever...anyway, I made it through that!! I can relate to the stress. 

You can do this!!

Here were my meals for yesterday Day 3:

B: 2 eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 Campari tomatoes (this is going to get boring for anyone to read)

L: you guessed it...my last portion of Chinese chicken salad! Mmmm still good even on day 4.

apple for snack

D: leftover filet mignon that I had Sunday...still amazing; Brussels in Oliver oil, balsamic, garlic, salt and pepper; romaine salad greens w evoo and balsamic. 

My husband worked at home today and just texted me for my meatloaf recipe, which has a cup of oatmeal in it. I sent him an alternative recipe that is whole30 compliant. He BETTER not make the oatmeal version and try to sneak it past me!! 

ALSO, had "floaters" in my eyes this morning once I got to work...it usually lasts about 20 minutes followed by a mild headache. I have not had that in a long time. Wonder why? I'm not stressed and I slept pretty good...

17 hours ago, cashnic72 said:

YES. You've got this! I know you are worried about kitty but I'm sure you will find a home for her. My SIL seems to find many strays and she takes them to either pets mart or Petco on saturdays when there are several people there with strays. Maybe check in to that?

reminds me of the first time I did W30 and had a houseful of 10 family guests all week. They were on vacay but I was working...so every night I came home to "what's for dinner?" after they'd been at the beach all day! So I was making spaghetti and all kinds of crap like them, while making my own special compliant sauce, making spaghetti squash, salads on the side w my own dressing, etc. I was resentful and totally stressed!! And I constantly got negative comments from the whole family...no support whatsoever...anyway, I made it through that!! I can relate to the stress. 

You can do this!!

That sounds like an absolute nightmare! Good for you for toughing it out and staying strong with your W30! I am feeling a LOT better today after talking with several shelters last night. Looks like she may be with us for about two weeks at the very most, which is not a big deal. Kinda hoping my mom will fall in love with her when she visits tomorrow and that'll be that! ;) But we are definitely going to take her to PetSmart to get her scanned for a microchip and make sure she's healthy, etc. After that, we just wait it out for a shelter to have room for her.

Your D3 meals sound good! As far as floaters and headaches go, I'm not entirely sure... are you salting your food enough? Getting plenty of fats? Drinking a crapload of water? Any or all of those things have given me headaches or lethargy before if I neglect them. You might mention it on the troubleshooting forum, see what the mods think.

R2D5

Much better day today overall! Talked to Alex (the boy) last night for a long time about the kitty, and about why we both tend to stress and obsess over things we can't control. We are very alike in that way, unfortunately. We both agreed to work on it and to stop letting tiny things become HUGE problems that cause us to lose sleep. Good stuff! Accepting that this critter is with us for the next couple weeks, and then hopefully she'll go to a shelter that can find her a great home. :)

Meanwhile in W30 land... 

M1: Two eggs scrambled with one Aidell's chicken apple sausage, cherry tomatoes and sauteed kale. Coffee with almond milk.

M2: Kale salad with more tomatoes, carrots, two hardboiled eggs and my NEW and extremely yummy Primal Kitchen Greek vinaigrette! Where have you been all my life??

M3: Plan to make mixed veggies and some simple cajun chicken breast tonight. Alex is working (he is a server) so I'll be cooking for myself only. 

I'm grocery shopping after work today for tomorrow's dinner - I'm making the grilled halibut with strawberry guacamole and coconut cauliflower rice that was featured on the Whole30 Recipes Facebook earlier this week. It looked in-freaking-credible, so we'll see if I can do it justice! I'm cooking for my mom and myself. Soon it'll be time to plan for week 2... same as my first round, this is flying by so quickly. Guess that's one benefit to being busy!

24 minutes ago, kellyfoss said:

R2D5

Much better day today overall! Talked to Alex (the boy) last night for a long time about the kitty, and about why we both tend to stress and obsess over things we can't control. We are very alike in that way, unfortunately. We both agreed to work on it and to stop letting tiny things become HUGE problems that cause us to lose sleep. Good stuff! Accepting that this critter is with us for the next couple weeks, and then hopefully she'll go to a shelter that can find her a great home. :)

Meanwhile in W30 land... 

M1: Two eggs scrambled with one Aidell's chicken apple sausage, cherry tomatoes and sauteed kale. Coffee with almond milk.

M2: Kale salad with more tomatoes, carrots, two hardboiled eggs and my NEW and extremely yummy Primal Kitchen Greek vinaigrette! Where have you been all my life??

M3: Plan to make mixed veggies and some simple cajun chicken breast tonight. Alex is working (he is a server) so I'll be cooking for myself only. 

I'm grocery shopping after work today for tomorrow's dinner - I'm making the grilled halibut with strawberry guacamole and coconut cauliflower rice that was featured on the Whole30 Recipes Facebook earlier this week. It looked in-freaking-credible, so we'll see if I can do it justice! I'm cooking for my mom and myself. Soon it'll be time to plan for week 2... same as my first round, this is flying by so quickly. Guess that's one benefit to being busy!

Sounds like y'all have a good plan for kitty, which is enough to relieve some of the stress. Yes vibes to your mom that she will fall in love...

you are definitely better at varying up the meals. I know I will have to do that eventually. 

Ok here we are Day 5! I have to say this has been easier than my first whole30 round last year.

the headache...well I am not sure what triggered that. I have definitely been drinking lots of water, but could possibly be low on fats. I'm having a time least 1/2 avocado everyday, coconut oil when cooking. This morning I tried that nut pod stuff in my coffee (original flavor). Meh. I didn't love it but I have 4 containers of it to drink so better get used to it. I have to admit it's been hard for me to buy into the healthy fats, basically because I grew up in the years of "fat-free" everything...was conditioned to think that ANY fat is bad (even though all those products had a ton of sugar in them! We didn't know!)

Dinner last night was w30 compliant meatloaf that my husband smoked on the grill...it was pretty good but not as tasty as my version w the cup of oatmeal...but guilt-free so that's good. Also roasted asparagus w salt pepper and garlic salt. Tasty 

last night didn't sleep as good, not sure why. Who knows, I have a lot of trouble sleeping now that I'm in my mid 40's. But definitely better than before I started R2W30!

B: I'm not even going to write it out, the usual!

L: changed it up! Ha ha went out to lunch with the IT group (me and a bunch of dudes who DO NOT eat healthy)...had a salad with greens, 1/2 boiled egg, grilled chicken and franks original hot sauce on it. Super YUM. The guy next to me kept saying "oh that salad is huge you'll never finish it"...uh YEAH I DID

D: will be either left over compliant meatloaf  and asparagus, or grilled steaks with some kind of veggie sides

weekends are my "wine down" time...this is always a major test in willpower for me...I'm basically telling my friends that I'll be a hermit until July. its just easier that way. 

I started my second round on June 6, too! And I totally feel you on the nut butters. And the wine. And the kitties. LOL. (Where do you live? I might have fostering friends I could refer you to...)

For me the big challenges are gonna be traveling and wine, I think. It's hard to eat out and feel secure that I'm staying on-plan, so before I leave town for the weekend I'm going to throw together a cooler of stuff I know I can eat. I also have been working out every day at 6 am which makes my life SO MUCH BETTER. It's easier to let the good life choices snowball, so if I'm already worked out by 7:30 am choosing a healthy breakfast is easy, and then lunch, and then... you get the picture. So maintaining that on the weekends while staying up late to socialize is going to be...interesting :-/ Maybe I can take a nap or two and get to bed earlier this coming week to offset it.

Something that may help you for your wine-down time... I went out to dinner with friends who wanted to drink last night and usually I am all for that shizz -- I love my wine-down time. But instead I ordered seltzer water and lime in a biiig wine glass. Everyone was jealous of my "fancy drink" that looked so good and honestly, for some reason that made it more satisfying than it had any right to be :P I have also found that kombucha in a wine glass, or fancy tea in nice china, are good ways to get the ritual of winding-down without the alcohol hit. And if you, like me, go to it for stress relief, I have also found that a magnesium supplement makes that less necessary.

37 minutes ago, linguistenator said:

I started my second round on June 6, too! And I totally feel you on the nut butters. And the wine. And the kitties. LOL. (Where do you live? I might have fostering friends I could refer you to...)

For me the big challenges are gonna be traveling and wine, I think. It's hard to eat out and feel secure that I'm staying on-plan, so before I leave town for the weekend I'm going to throw together a cooler of stuff I know I can eat. I also have been working out every day at 6 am which makes my life SO MUCH BETTER. It's easier to let the good life choices snowball, so if I'm already worked out by 7:30 am choosing a healthy breakfast is easy, and then lunch, and then... you get the picture. So maintaining that on the weekends while staying up late to socialize is going to be...interesting :-/ Maybe I can take a nap or two and get to bed earlier this coming week to offset it.

Something that may help you for your wine-down time... I went out to dinner with friends who wanted to drink last night and usually I am all for that shizz -- I love my wine-down time. But instead I ordered seltzer water and lime in a biiig wine glass. Everyone was jealous of my "fancy drink" that looked so good and honestly, for some reason that made it more satisfying than it had any right to be :P I have also found that kombucha in a wine glass, or fancy tea in nice china, are good ways to get the ritual of winding-down without the alcohol hit. And if you, like me, go to it for stress relief, I have also found that a magnesium supplement makes that less necessary.

I agree about working out first thing! I didn't work out this morning and I definitely didn't feel as good this morning.

i have definitely done the seltzer/lime in a glass and I just need to go to the store and buy it! But had not thought of Kombucha, that is a great idea and I'm going to get some as soon as I get off work today!! Thanks! Good luck with the traveling this weekend. :)

5 hours ago, cashnic72 said:

But had not thought of Kombucha, that is a great idea and I'm going to get some as soon as I get off work today!!

I hope you like it!  I know it really helps with my digestion when I drink it with or right after big meals, usually dinner for me.  I like it so much I started brewing my own to save money.  It's fun to do as well!

Archived