Teeccino??

Sarah Anne

I'm trying to eliminate caffeine as much as possible and a friend introduced me to teeccino, which is an herbal coffee substitute. It is certified gluten free, but does have barley root & chicory root in it.

Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients

Organic Carob, Organic Barley, Organic Chicory, Organic Ramon Nuts, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Organic Cocoa, Organic Chile Flakes.

It seems to me that because it is the barley root and not the grain portion (and gluten free) it should be ok. The "natural chocolate flavor" seems kind of vague though. There are other flavors with out that ingredient though (this is the "mocha" flavor). What do you guys think??

Thanks Tom- My friend told me it was the barley root, but now that I think about it more that doesn't make sense. :) I cruised around on the website some more and found some options made with dandelion instead of barley (http://teeccino.com/category/73/NEW!-Dandelion-Flavors.html). Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic chicory, organic dandelion root, dates, almonds, natural mocha flavor, organic figs, organic cocoa powder.

That one seems ok, right? Who knows what it tastes like though :)

• 4 months later...

Tom Denham or Kirsteen: I'm curious about the organic carob? Is that compliant?

I'd like to know if all of these ingredients are compliant?

Dandelion Vanilla Nut

Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic chicory, organic dandelion root, dates, almonds, organic figs, natural vanilla extract, natural nut flavor.

Contains: Almonds.

Dandelion Mocha

Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic chicory, organic dandelion root, dates, almonds, natural mocha flavor, organic figs, organic cocoa powder.

Contains: Almonds.

Also a little off this topic but still curious...I have a friend that uses one of those clear fiber supplements (only ingredient is inulin from chicory root)...would it be compliant if she finally gives in and joins me on my journey?

Cheers,

Tamara

Hi, here's what Robin had to say in another post about carob

The only chocolate allowed on the Whole30 program is unsweetened cocoa powder, so if they make carob powder as a counterpart, you're welcome to use it in the same way you would use a spice like paprika or ground coffee. However, using it as a "treat" or to create desserts is not a part of the program.

So I wouldn't see a problem with the carob powder, for me, the issue would be that if they're adding dates, that's obviously to sweeten it. Now dates are technically compliant and, since we don't get these drinks over here, I can't comment on what they're like or how 'sweet' they are. I'm just wary of all sweetened stuff but hey, I'm the one that bought a hydrometer and PH strips so I could make sure my kombucha wasn't sweet, so I'm maybe a tad paranoid on that score :ph34r:

As to the Inulin, well it is a fibre supplement used as a laxative. Now a W30 is designed to heal your gut and give it nourishing whole foods. If you keep taking a laxative throughout it, I don't think you're ever giving it a proper chance to do that. You're interfering with the process, so how do you judge the results?

• 3 years later...

According to the Teeccino website, event the Teeccino flavors with barley test gluten-free when brewed with a paper filter (so no particles of the grain end up in your drink). Does that make any difference in whether or not it's allowable? Just trying to avoid buying one of the barley-free flavors when I have a bag of the Java on hand. :)

Archived