Whole 30 - Round 1

Fallen_Leaf

I've wanted to do a 30 day paleo challenge, and the 21 day challenge on marksdailyapple.com.  But for some reason I never really made a decision to do it.  I did eat very clean for quite some time and would only eat out or snack once per week.  After moving across the country though I fell off of the wagon hard.  I have been eating pizza several times a week, going out to restaurants several times a week, started having dessert nearly every day (often 2 or 3 servings worth), and really started to notice that I'm just not feeling good overall anymore.  I've started CrossFit since moving here and one of the girls told me about Whole30 and I'm loving the idea of it.  I actually told her and several other people in my life that I'm doing it, so I hope that helps to keep me accountable as well as this forum.  

I don't start until tomorrow but I wanted to get some of this written down so I can have some comparisons to make at the end.  Some things I would like to see improve:

- Lose the pounds I put on

- Relief of my chronic dry eye

- Relief of dry skin

- Calm my often upset stomach

- Feel generally and overall happier

- I find myself feeling lazy and withdrawing from people and social activities lately.  I'd like to feel excited about social/human interaction again

- Have more energy.  Or maybe I should say more steady energy that lasts throughout the day

- Feel more refreshed and less grumpy/groggy when I wake up in the mornings

- Have more motivation to work on hobbies, learning, and self improvement projects after work.  I have several things I know I would like to do, but currently I don't have energy or motivation to do these things when I get home.  I can remember a time in my life when I didn't feel this way in the afternoons, and I would like to get that back.

- Watch less TV.  I think I've developed a really bad habit of going right to the couch and watching hours of TV every night after work.  I believe it's contributing to feelings of depression.  

I cleaned out the cabinets and fridge and went grocery shopping today.  I'm going to get my meal prep done and start my journey tomorrow.  I CAN do the whole 30 days.  I want to!

Got some essentials in the mail today.  I often need some kind of sauce/topping to make my food more palatable.  So I've got compliant mayo, chipotle lime mayo, greek and honey mustard dressings (that double as marinades), and ranch.  All courtesy of Primal Kitchen (marksdailyapple.com).  I love his site and what he does for people.  Last but not least, good 'ol coconut oil!  Unrefined of course :P

mayos.jpg

8 hours ago, Fallen_Leaf said:

Got some essentials in the mail today.  I often need some kind of sauce/topping to make my food more palatable.  So I've got compliant mayo, chipotle lime mayo, greek and honey mustard dressings (that double as marinades), and ranch.  All courtesy of Primal Kitchen (marksdailyapple.com).  I love his site and what he does for people.  Last but not least, good 'ol coconut oil!  Unrefined of course :P

mayos.jpg

@Fallen_Leaf that honey mustard marinade has honey which makes it not compliant!  I think their mayo is compliant but it's a good idea to check the ingredients list on every product every time you buy it. 

Day 1

Weight (from yesterday) - 148.5 lbs

Measurements:

Waist - 32in

Thigh - 22.5in

Neck - 14.5in

Breakfast - Serving of Italian sausage pan fried with scrambled eggs (almond milk), coffee with almond milk.

Mood: I meant to wake up early, so I could start getting back into the swing before I get back to work on Tuesday.  So I went to bed at about 9:30, but I slept all the way through until 8:30!  I guess my body needed the rest after vacation, I'll set an alarm tomorrow.  I woke up feeling good though.  Had to force breakfast down though.  I don't usually eat breakfast and didn't realize what a tough time I would have eating within the first hour.

32 minutes ago, Fallen_Leaf said:

@ArtFossil Oh crap, I'm so glad you caught that before I used it!!  Ohhh that would have made me so sad.  I will double check all the labels!!  You just saved me from an eventual accidental screw up!

Reading every label--which can get tiring!--is one of the big NSVs of a Whole30 and is one of the most valuable takeaways for me. :) There is so much sugar in so many products!  

Day 1

Lunch: Portion of rosemary lemon chicken and bright wilted spinach with chipotle lime mayo

Mood: I started feeling a tad lonely/sad again.  Probably still b/c vacation is over and the parents are gone.  I got hungry an hour before lunch time, so I'll probably need to add in another egg to breakfast.  That's going to be tough though, I could barely force the one down this morning.  I'm going to busy myself with cleaning, cooking dinner, watering plants, and filling up the hummingbird feeder for the second half of my day.  We'll see if I get the 3pm slump or not; I'm thinking not simply because I am not at work :P

I'm going to have a 3pm snack of an apple and almond butter, and then dinner at 7.  It's also what the eating schedule on my workdays is going to be, so I want to go ahead and be able to tweak my portions before I end up at work without access to compliant foods!

2 hours ago, Fallen_Leaf said:

Decided to make myself a batch of veggie juice as well.  Celery, Kale, Cucumber, and Apple.  I love green juice, adds nutrients to the diet, tastes clean and delicious, and makes me feel damn good.

greenjuice.jpg

It is much much better--both physically and psychologically--to eat your veggies rather than drink them during your Whole30. :)

:)  I don't make it all the time, just occasionally.

Had my salmon with dill mayo and green beans for dinner.  Also had my 3pm snack and felt good as far as timing goes, I didn't get too hungry.

Mood: I had a small burst of energy around 4, I hope that sticks around when I go back to work!  I did find myself having a little adult tantrum at dinner.  Thinking things like "this isn't very good, and I really want tartar sauce."  But I got through it.  Probably need some time to let my palette adjust to real food.  And it wasn't bad at all, so I don't know why I got so temper tantrumy.  I'm going to watch a little House of Cards, then make tea and read to wrap up the night.  So far so good on day 1!

Day 2

I reallllly really do not want breakfast, and the fact that I need to eat it is making me grumpy.  Plus I woke up grumpy b/c I did not go to bed early, in fact I stayed up way too late.  My fault I know, but I'm mad at myself for it hah.  I need to get into bed on time tonight though, b/c I go back to work (and waking up at 5:30am) tomorrow.  I think I will hard boil some eggs for breakfast and for the week, and have some smoked salmon with it.

I ended up making egg salad that I can have for breakfast with smoked salmon.  Using avocado oil mayo, dijon mustard, celery salt, and a splash of lemon juice.  I went ahead and prepped for the week so I won't have to cook in the morning.  It was delicious!  I did eat later than recommended, 2.5hrs after waking.  I made it a mini meal though and I will still eat lunch on time.  I think I will do better with the fatty foods for breakfast, they seem to sound more appetizing to me.  I think I'm going to use a lot of mayo on the Whole30!  I am feeling better mood-wise now too.

Had the same as yesterday for lunch, snack, and dinner.

Mood: I was really lazy today, last day of vaca.  Ran one errand, then chilled on the couch.  Had a little burst of energy around 6pm, and now I'm going to settle in for the night in a few minutes and get ready for bed.  Think I'm ready to go back to work now.

Day 3!

Woke up at 5:30, going to have breakfast at 6:15.  Egg salad with smoked salmon.

Mood: I got a Philips sunrise alarm clock over the weekend, and I woke up to the light before the alarm even sounded.  So there's a good start to the day right there.  I also had a glass of green juice and no coffee before breakfast.  I wanted to see if it would help get the hunger going, and it has.  Not a lot, but even a little helps at this stage.  So far, a good mood this morning, we'll see what traffic does to that :)

Lunch same as yesterday at 11:30.  Was hungry by lunchtime, but I don't think I got too hungry too early.  Seem to have gotten a burst of energy as well.  But since it's my first day back to work after vacation, I'm not going to beat myself up over lack of motivation :)

Forgot to post last night.  Dinner was the same + serving of sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon.  I started to get really achy yesterday around 2pm and it lasted until a little bit after I ate.  My lower back, legs, and knees were just killing me.  Not sure if it's because I stood for too long, or something to do with the food.  We'll see if it happens again.

Day 4

Woke up very grumpy this morning, I still am.  But according to the Whole30 I'm in the "Kill All The Things" stage, so this is to be expected I suppose.  I'm really grumpy, I don't feel like eating breakfast, I don't want it, and I probably will not eat it.  Not on time at least.  I even know I'm acting like a grumpy kit, but I still don't care.

Day 5

I ate breakfast too late according to the rules, and lunch wasn't proper either.  But I haven't failed so I'm proud of that, and I'm not going to beat myself up for not being perfect.

Woke up around 7:20, had breakfast around 10:30 I think of scrambled eggs (almond milk) and italian sausage.

Lunch at 1ish was just 2 apples and a good bit of almond butter.

Dinner: I took leftover salmon filets and made them into salmon cakes with a big ass salad (hard boiled egg, lots of diff greens, bacon bits, avocado, greek dressing)

I think I was just a bit tired of what I have already eaten all week so I didn't want it, so it threw my meals off today.  But I still feel full and I don't seem to be grumpy anymore!

Day 6!  Can't believe I'm already on day 6!

Didn't eat at the proper times, very busy day.

No breakfast.

Lunch: Salmon cake with dill mayo on top, and a big ass serving of green beans

Dinner: Filet Mignon I seared then finished in the oven, sooooooooo good.  Sides were a big ass salad (lots of diff greens, hard boiled egg, bacon bits, avocado, cucumber, greek dressing) and sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon.  Dinner was just awesome.

I might have a snack of apples and apple butter later to make up the calories for lack of breakfast, but only if I feel that I'm actually hungry, I seem to be good right now.

Went to CrossFit today and also did really well.  I'm not having the issue with being dead tired like the timeline suggests.  This is probably because I've been eating primal for some time now though, so I've been through that before.

Daaaay 7, a week down!

I'm really proud of myself for going the week.  I had some pretty tough cravings one night, but I stayed strong and beat them, and now I feel like it's just getting easier to say no.  I've even been telling people I'm doing the Whole30 when I refuse, and get some pretty good reactions.  I'm still failing pretty hard on breakfasts, I just don't want em.  I'm a firm believer in listening to my body, and I'm not going to force feed myself when it ruins my whole mood.  I know many people here will disagree but I'm doing this for me, not for anyone else.

Lunch: I took leftover chicken and made chicken salad and added some spinach in, it was so good!  Also had another big ass salad, same as yesterday

Dinner: Seared and oven finished a pork tenderloin.  I dry rubbed it with paprika, garlic powder, onion salt, salt, thyme, and a bit of cumin.  Also damn delicious.  Had that with roasted veggies (yellow bell pepper, asparagus, bacon).  I am very satisfied tonight and don't feel the need for a snack.

Going hiking with a few friends earrlly tomorrow.  I'm going to get up and pack some apples and almond butter to take with me for when I get to the top.  I'm also going to whip up some egg salad and have that with smoked salmon for breakfast.  I'm sure I'll use up every bit of it on the hike!

Day 8 and still going strong!  I even turned down an offer to go to McDonalds after a long hike today, and I was very hungry.  The BigMac will still be there when I finish, but I won't want it by then.

Snacks at the top of the mountain: Apple with almond butter, compliant beef sticks.

Mini-meal when I got home: Spinach chicken salad

Dinner: Salmon cake with a big ass salad

Snack: I'm going to have another snack as I hurried out and didn't get breakfast today, and it was a good hike, so I am hungry, need the food.  Another apple with almond butter.

Day 9 almost down.

Breakfast: Apple with almond butter

Lunch: Port loin with roasted asparagus and bell peppers

Dinner: Filet mignon, sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon, and another big ass salad.  Oh, and a glass of home-brewed kombucha!

Got my CrossFit workout in today too and felt pretty good!  Finally going to kick my feet up now and watch some TV, then read and hit the sack.

Day 10!

A few days ago I was so irritated I had basically given up on breakfast.  But I'm feeling better mood and energy wise today so I'm trying again.

Breakfast: Hard boiled egg, smoked salmon, banana

Lunch: Pork tenderloin, roasted asparagus, bell peppers, and bacon

Snack: Handful of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.  Strawberries were soooooo good

Dinner: Chicken thigh with ranch, green beans

I did not turn on the TV when I got home from work.  I also had a great burst of energy to work on my web app development book I've been trying to get through.  Yeay, I'm already seeing a breakthrough in energy!!  I hope it stays!!  TV is such a mind killing shit habbit.

Archived