Fun and Games with reintroduction

Three weeks post whole30.  I had my annual physical a few days after my 30 days and a couple of things were noted on my blood work including iron deficiency, borderline anemia and vitamin D deficiency.  This bloodwork had been retrieved approximately 10 days before the completion of my whole 30. Given that I eliminated all dairy products  that may account for the vitamin D deficiency and I do  eat mostly chicken.  I'm not asking for medical advice or anything like that but I wanted to vent about the fact after the 30 day process, I was expecting much better results and  I was actually excited to go to the doctor because I thought I was going to be complemented on my progress.  So discouraged because I was feeling really fantastic and then looking at those numbers was unexpected. So, I went on a bit of an emotional roller coaster and unnecessary self pity. I finally concluded if no one is putting me in the hospital then I'm probably 95% okay. It took me a couple of days to resolve this in my mind.

I did not do my reintroduction buy the book exactly but I have discovered that dairy is a big problem for me, Oreos are not safe in my home and alcohol just doesn't taste good anymore. The bloodwork numbers can be resolved with supplements and diet so I'm not going to worry too much about that.  My focus is going to be on how good I feel, discovering what foods make me feel good and what foods don't--and move on.

For example cheddar cheese or feta-no way unless my goal is a brick in my belly.  Splash of half and half in my coffee-No problem.  Oreos-Hello, dragon.  Beer-cramps.  Vodka- two sips and I'm flushed and its not tasty. Tortilla chips--uneasy tummy.  Bread-uneasy tummy.  Wine-not tasty.  Compliant foods- I'm a well-oiled machine.  

This has been and continues to be an adventure.  

It sounds like you have learned A LOT about yourself, Barbiegurrl!  And if you have a Vit D deficiency and dairy is a big prob for you, don't forget that 20 minutes of sunlight is an important source of D, and there are other ways to get it besides dairy.   Also sounds like your preference for chicken might have something to do with the other deficiencies, so not sure the disappointing blood work is a RESULT of the W30.  If you are feeling fantastic--that's wonderful!  I will be interested to see if dairy is a problem for me....because I do love cheese. I could probably give up wine easier than cheese...I've got three weeks before re-intro so we'll see. Enjoy the adventure!

Archived