noelle's 1st whole30 journey

Hi -  just found this forum and think it will help me keep up with my progress and food choices . 

today is DAY 4.

i feel really good, especially with regard to my joints - not aching or painful or even stiff. yay! I am noticing that right after 1st meal on days 3 and 4, i had a weird amount of throat mucus that seemed to be from my sinuses, although not headache or anything like that. i am sneezing a lot but that seems normal for June for me, a lot is blooming out there and i have mild seasonal allergies. the mucus seems unusual though. I read that this is consistent with the cleansing out process, so i'm not worried about it.

breakfast: coffee with unsweetened coconut mil plus almond milk and spices (joy!)

ground beef taco style on lettuce with onions, avocado, cucumber and tomato. a few walnuts. (p. 88 of Against the Grain - *****)

supplements: fish oil (I take this as treatment for dry eye, i believe it is W30 compatible)

i miss no foods. still can't figure out how to get three meals in, i am not hungry having two without snacks.

IMG_5021.JPG

That meal looks yummy! I'm interested in your comment about the mucus, because I started on June 1st while I had a cold--so I don't know if my symptoms are just the cold or also from the W30--because it is quite the mucus-fest here.  Good luck and keep going!

31 minutes ago, LesTodd said:

That meal looks yummy! I'm interested in your comment about the mucus, because I started on June 1st while I had a cold--so I don't know if my symptoms are just the cold or also from the W30--because it is quite the mucus-fest here.  Good luck and keep going!

thanks LesTodd - good luck to you as well! the mucus thing is this weird post nasal drip that is perfectly clear and not really a bother, just new since I started whole30. it only happens at the end of a meal, not in between, and it seems not to be related to a cold or even allergies. i really think my body is somehow manufacturing it in response to the diet, which kind of blows my mind. maybe that theory about how the body lets go of protective mucus it no longer needs. really, the biggest change between this diet and my former diet is the absence of grains and dairy, oh and i guess sugar, so maybe i'm more sensitive to those than i have realized. thanks for asking - good luck with your mucus-fest too! what is your experience? 

16 hours ago, i heart my body said:

thanks LesTodd - good luck to you as well! the mucus thing is this weird post nasal drip that is perfectly clear and not really a bother, just new since I started whole30. it only happens at the end of a meal, not in between, and it seems not to be related to a cold or even allergies. i really think my body is somehow manufacturing it in response to the diet, which kind of blows my mind. maybe that theory about how the body lets go of protective mucus it no longer needs. really, the biggest change between this diet and my former diet is the absence of grains and dairy, oh and i guess sugar, so maybe i'm more sensitive to those than i have realized. thanks for asking - good luck with your mucus-fest too! what is your experience? 

Your explanation makes sense, I heart.    I am also tailing off a cold, and hope this mucus thing is about over.  However, today I am ravenous AND drowsy! I had meal one, went to the gym and walked a fast 1.5 miles but felt too lethargic to do more. So I ran a few errands and then went home to nap between 12 and 1. (Thank God I don't work on Mondays.) Then I was ravenous for Meal 2. Pretty sure Meal 1 was too small (3 deviled egg halves and half a grapefruit, coffee--first meal with no veggies. Then I had an RX (compliant) bar after my walk.  Meal 2 was roast, roasted onions, roasted tomatoes, and green beans almandine. I wolfed them down like a savage : )  In fact, I had to eat another deviled egg half to survive the ONE MINUTE that I was microwaving Meal 2!

I am very into positive thinking, so do not want to project that I will have carb flu from ketosis, but if I do, then I will just interpret that as a positive experience as my body is healing.  Having a cup of coffee now in hopes of staying awake!

Are you having a good day?

2 hours ago, LesTodd said:

Your explanation makes sense, I heart.    I am also tailing off a cold, and hope this mucus thing is about over.  However, today I am ravenous AND drowsy! I had meal one, went to the gym and walked a fast 1.5 miles but felt too lethargic to do more. So I ran a few errands and then went home to nap between 12 and 1. (Thank God I don't work on Mondays.) Then I was ravenous for Meal 2. Pretty sure Meal 1 was too small (3 deviled egg halves and half a grapefruit, coffee--first meal with no veggies. Then I had an RX (compliant) bar after my walk.  Meal 2 was roast, roasted onions, roasted tomatoes, and green beans almandine. I wolfed them down like a savage : )  In fact, I had to eat another deviled egg half to survive the ONE MINUTE that I was microwaving Meal 2!

I am very into positive thinking, so do not want to project that I will have carb flu from ketosis, but if I do, then I will just interpret that as a positive experience as my body is healing.  Having a cup of coffee now in hopes of staying awake!

Are you having a good day?

Hey LesTodd, 

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I like the positive thinking approach - YES! that roast meal sounds delicious. I am having a very weird day (day 5), ultimately good - also very tired feeling this morning, struggled to fall asleep last night, had a violent nightmare (very unusual for me), it took everything i had to get out of bed this morning. then i got myself out the door for this screen test I had scheduled, and was a little worried i'd be too foggy headed to perform well, and it came together so beautifully in the end. i really surprised myself with clarity of thinking, reading, and speaking and my ability to manifest how I wanted to on the spot- warm, present, dialed in. so i don't really get it. i did force myself to eat a real breakfast this am within the first hour of waking up, as one of the moderators advised me (aren't they great!?)- so am going to try to stick to that.

i think my body is definitely withdrawing and responding to the new intake in a powerful way, more powerful than i would have guessed possible in only 5 days time. DO stay positive!! I think this is very much for the good, for greater atunement to our strongest physical nature. Kudos to you for working out despite the lethargy!

DAY 5

woke at 10 am after fitful nights sleep including a bad dream; lots of lethargy.

breakfast (11 am): as pictured; bed of greens with spiraliized cucumber, a few almond slices, and blueberries;  grilled asparagus, potato spiral patty with garlic powder and chopped kale; topped by three sunny side up eggs; fat came from cooking oils+ olive oil in vinegarette dressing+almonds slivers+ ghee/coconut cream in my coffee.

lunch (5:49PM): baked sweet potato with ghee and lime juice; arugula greens with almond slivers and spiraled cucumber and spiraled red onion; compliant chicken and apple sausages; big dollar of homemade mayo

IMG_5023.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Day 28. 

Good morning world! I woke up on day 28 feeling like i've been wanting to feel since starting on this journey! Hallelujah! Woke up at 7 AM without my alarm, my body and mind feel perfectly alert and i was in no pain whatsoever. That last part is a big deal for me as I have been dealing with some joint pain for a while now and making a lot of lifestyle adjustments to compensate. And my days 16 through 28 have been complicated by a number of factors including travel, shaving my head for a commercial part (I'm an actor) - which has been an adjustment, this new pain issue, an old pain issue, lots of interior design things in the apartment (like getting a new mattress to help with all this pain), and yesterday, totally unrelated, a mild concussion! But I have stuck with whole30 through it all and today I feel great. So great that I can't even imagine coming off this diet even though I only have a few more days technically. 

Archived