The easiest alcoholic beverage for reintro?

Rebadre

Ok- I'm only about halfway, but curious as to what would be the least disruptive alcoholic beverage to reintroduce? I've read here people mentioning wine was awful, and perhaps it had to do with sulfites? Or something... is there anything "cleaner" to look for (vodka soda), or a particular notice on a label to watch out for? Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I'll reopen it.  I think the moderator response prevents good conversation from flowing.  It's unproductive to say "you're on your own, figure it out yourself" when this is a community and we're all here to help each other.  We are all looking for advice based on experience.  It's what makes these boards great.

I'm also concerned with alcohol reintroduction because I don't buy into the notion that alcohol is black/white good/bad.  It's one of those things like gluten or soy or dairy that you may not handle well.  But you may be able to manage it in your life fine in moderation.

I'm interested in how folks' alcohol reintroduction goes.  I have never been a very heavy drinker but expect that my alcohol intake will be much more reduced.  My thought was to do light beer with low ABV.  My friends who are on the Keto diet which is strict on carbs drink whiskey and diet soda and it is low carb, but I don't think that's in the "spirit" of Whole30.  My intent is to 100% eliminate sodas from my diet post-Whole30 so I'm going the beer/wine route.

• Administrators

@BernieInTexas - I'm sorry you feel that I was dismissive. That wasn't my intent. The trouble is that alcohol is like anything else that we ask you to reintroduce and assess for yourself. As an example, tequila is what is most "paleo". For me it makes me angry and gives me a wicked headache nearly right away. But, ladyshanny, it's what would be the healthiest option! Well....not for me. As you mention, the light beer is what you think might be healthiest for you. What about people that are celiac? Might not be the healthiest for them. 

It's not different than when we tell people to reintroduce foods and see how they do. Some people can tolerate all dairy. Some people can tolerate whey but not lactose. And for some people, consuming dairy is a dumpster fire. 

Do you understand how it's impossible for us to make any sort of recommendation for what might be "less bad" as a general statement? That's the point of Whole30, to reset your system and then try all this stuff out and you tell us what is the best option, for you.

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, BernieInTexas said:

.  My friends who are on the Keto diet which is strict on carbs drink whiskey and diet soda and it is low carb, but I don't think that's in the "spirit" of Whole30.  My intent is to 100% eliminate sodas from my diet post-Whole30 so I'm going the beer/wine route.

No alcohol is in the 'spirit' of the whole30... The spirit of whole30 is done when you start doing reintroductions in order to make your own Food Freedom plan.  But you can definitely experiment and choose what is in the spirit of your WholeBernieInTexas plan in which you make the rules/recommendations for yourself and fit in things that you think are worth it.

We're very open to having conversations about just about anything on here and we can certainly keep this discussion going, but like @ladyshanny said, you won't get a recommendation from the staff for what is less bad.

Here's some interesting reading from the founders of the program

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-alcohol-manifesto/

And here's an article written by Melissa herself about why she won't give out less bad options for alcohol

https://whole30.com/2016/12/dm-replay-adulty-beverage/

Blue Agave Tequila is Paleo Friendly and Paleo peoples will even tell you that it's good for you.

You choose, you decide.

Coming from a food addiction background, alcohol can easily become the cross-addiction of choice for many food addicts. It's something that those with WLS fall into, too. Another trap of trading in one addiction for another. They see alcohol as a workaround for giving up trigger foods. A trade-off without the consequences of eating food.

Then there are others who have to give up alcohol. Like for real. What we can easily manage one day may progress with time into fatty liver disease. A consequence of drinking over the years. Our mileage will always vary. There is no way to give everyone an Rx for the least disruptive alcohol without looking at the bigger picture. 

Archived