Negative Period Effect(s)?

kms7797

I did my first W30 this past December (2016) and at it's conclusion decided that cutting refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, dairy and most grains was what made my body happy.  I have only indulged for certain occasions since then and have been having drastically different cycles these past two months.  Not to get into too much detail but the primary concern is very large clots during the entire cycle along with extended cycle time (8 days).  Before I had very mild symptoms, normal cycle length (5-6 days) and hardly ever had clots.  I have been to my doctor, she ran tests and everything came back fine.  I am not on birth control (had tubal ligation 10yrs ago) and really do not want to go down the hormone route.  If this will be my new norm I don't necessarily have a problem with it but it's so incredibly, drastically different I keep thinking there's an underlying problem.  Has anyone else had a similar experience or change?

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, kms7797 said:

I did my first W30 this past December (2016) and at it's conclusion decided that cutting refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, dairy and most grains was what made my body happy.  I have only indulged for certain occasions since then and have been having drastically different cycles these past two months.  Not to get into too much detail but the primary concern is very large clots  during the entire cycle along with extended cycle time (8 days).  Before I had very mild symptoms, normal cycle length (5-6 days) and hardly ever had clots.  I have been to my doctor, she ran tests and everything came back fine.  I am not on birth control (had tubal ligation 10yrs ago) and really do not want to go down the hormone route.  If this will be my new norm I don't necessarily have a problem with it but it's so incredibly, drastically different I keep thinking there's an underlying problem.  Has anyone else had a similar experience or change?

I've removed the explicit description of your situation as this is a public and family forum.

If you've been to the doctor and they've checked your hormones and nothing is going wrong, then it sounds like this is your new normal.  No one here is a medical professional and we can't give out medical advice.  That said, you may want to check out more posts in this forum as irregular periods, period changes etc... have been discussed at length.

9 hours ago, kms7797 said:

I did my first W30 this past December (2016) and at it's conclusion decided that cutting refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, dairy and most grains was what made my body happy.  I have only indulged for certain occasions since then and have been having drastically different cycles these past two months.  Not to get into too much detail but the primary concern is very large clots during the entire cycle along with extended cycle time (8 days).  Before I had very mild symptoms, normal cycle length (5-6 days) and hardly ever had clots.  I have been to my doctor, she ran tests and everything came back fine.  I am not on birth control (had tubal ligation 10yrs ago) and really do not want to go down the hormone route.  If this will be my new norm I don't necessarily have a problem with it but it's so incredibly, drastically different I keep thinking there's an underlying problem.  Has anyone else had a similar experience or change?

Have you tried seeing an acupuncturist?  If you've seen your medical doctor and they have ruled out anything major, it might be worth checking out an alternative medicine practitioner.  I've been seeing an acupuncturist for almost a year for issues with my period and while it has been incredibly awkward at times (my practitioner is male and he asks for way more detail than I usually discuss),  he has been very professional and has spent many sessions educating me about Chinese medicine and my symptoms. 

7 hours ago, orca_chick said:

Have you tried seeing an acupuncturist?  If you've seen your medical doctor and they have ruled out anything major, it might be worth checking out an alternative medicine practitioner.  I've been seeing an acupuncturist for almost a year for issues with my period and while it has been incredibly awkward at times (my practitioner is male and he asks for way more detail than I usually discuss),  he has been very professional and has spent many sessions educating me about Chinese medicine and my symptoms. 

Thank you.  Have you seen any difference or improvement?

16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I've removed the explicit description of your situation as this is a public and family forum.

If you've been to the doctor and they've checked your hormones and nothing is going wrong, then it sounds like this is your new normal.  No one here is a medical professional and we can't give out medical advice.  That said, you may want to check out more posts in this forum as irregular periods, period changes etc... have been discussed at length.

I have looked at the other posts and aside from cycles starting unexpectedly all seem to be positive changes, not major changes in the opposite direction.  I never asked for medical advice and understand this is not the place to find a diagnosis.  I am simply curious if anyone has had similar changes to mine.

4 hours ago, kms7797 said:

Thank you.  Have you seen any difference or improvement?

Yes!  I still struggle with amenorrhea but slowly things are getting better.  I definitely have noticed a huge shift in my mental health and overall wellbeing which I attribute to some of the treatment.  When I do cycle, I have very little PMS and my flow is "healthy" according to Chinese medicine.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, kms7797 said:

I have looked at the other posts and aside from cycles starting unexpectedly all seem to be positive changes, not major changes in the opposite direction.  I never asked for medical advice and understand this is not the place to find a diagnosis.  I am simply curious if anyone has had similar changes to mine.

I read your post yesterday but didn't have a minute to respond. My guess is that if you were having very light periods previously, that you were not in a proper hormonal rhythm and thus, your uterus was not forming an adequate uterine lining which meant that there was not much there to shed. 

Given that you are now seeing a change, my guess is that your female sex hormones are balancing out and your body is figuring out how to do menstruation properly. Of course I'm not a doctor, but that was my impression of your post. 

How old are you? Could you also be pre/peri-menopausal? Being near menopause and making a large dietary shift that affects hormones could maybe have plunked you further into menopause?

9 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

I read your post yesterday but didn't have a minute to respond. My guess is that if you were having very light periods previously, that you were not in a proper hormonal rhythm and thus, your uterus was not forming an adequate uterine lining which meant that there was not much there to shed. 

Given that you are now seeing a change, my guess is that your female sex hormones are balancing out and your body is figuring out how to do menstruation properly. Of course I'm not a doctor, but that was my impression of your post. 

How old are you? Could you also be pre/peri-menopausal? Being near menopause and making a large dietary shift that affects hormones could maybe have plunked you further into menopause?

Yes, I am beginning to suspect the same: hormones balancing out or perimenopausal.  I began my period when I was 10 and will be 37 this month.  I hit all my developmental milestones "early" and had 4 children by the time I was 26 (hence the tubal).  Several of my doctors insist I am too young to be perimenopausal but I have read that it can start in your 30's so I still believe it a possibility.  I had a sonogram last fall that showed my lining was slightly thicker than normal so I had a uterine biopsy done.  It came back normal so my GYN thinks it wasn't shedding properly.  If it is just "catching up" man-o-mercy is it shocking! :D  

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, kms7797 said:

Yes, I am beginning to suspect the same: hormones balancing out or perimenopausal.  I began my period when I was 10 and will be 37 this month.  I hit all my developmental milestones "early" and had 4 children by the time I was 26 (hence the tubal).  Several of my doctors insist I am too young to be perimenopausal but I have read that it can start in your 30's so I still believe it a possibility.  I had a sonogram last fall that showed my lining was slightly thicker than normal so I had a uterine biopsy done.  It came back normal so my GYN thinks it wasn't shedding properly.  If it is just "catching up" man-o-mercy is it shocking! :D  

I'm 38 and have a lot of the symptoms of being peri-menopausal. Doctors won't even take it under consideration because "too young" but damn, what about us outliers? If 40 is normal to start, 38 isn't completely outside the realm of possibility. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am also thinking that before when your cycles were very light, they weren't normal, as in not forming the proper lining to shed. Now that they are regulating, you're seeing a big change. I am only on day 5 on my first W30, but I had ovarian cancer in Aug 2016. I had surgery to remove a 17 cm mass, my left ovary and tube, appendix, and omentum. I always had fairly light cycles before that. Many of the months since then I have had large clots and heavy periods as well. All of my research on the subject leads me to agree with what ladyshanny has mentioned.  We have different circumstances, but I think it's definitely a hormonal balancing taking place.

Archived