Organic Rice Concentrate??

Sorry if this was already discussed but I couldn't find a specific answer.  I was getting ready to make non nom's chili last night and realized that the chili powder I was going to use had organic rice concentrate in it.  Then I looked at another spice I had (organic garlic salt), and that also contained organic rice concentrate!  So I searched online and it seems like it might not be compliant but was hoping someone could provide some specific info.  I had no idea that my organic spices would contain an ingredient that may not be compliant and I thought - I wish I would have been warned about spices.  I know "check your ingredients" is on repeat, but I never really thought organic spices could be a problem.  Luckily I checked before I put it in but I figured all the spices in my cabinet were fair game.  I started on 6/2 and was feeling pretty good about it until that happened.  I was able to improvise and put other ingredients in the chili so the flavor was fine, but now I'm wondering if I need to buy new spices (with this ingredient in it) or if it's actually okay.

Thanks for your quick response.  I figured this was not allowed, but wanted confirmation.  I'm curious how many other people realized this and found it to be a big surprise.  It's organic chili powder and garlic salt.  I can kind of see the garlic salt maybe not having a compliant ingredient in it, but not organic chili powder.  I was so frustrated when I saw rice concentrate on the list.  Ugh.

4 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

It's just that brand you're using. Switch brands. I'm sure they're adding it as an anti-caking agent, but there are plenty of spices and spice blends that are literally just the spice. 

Yes, that's what I'll do.  It was just frustrating when I had a list of grocery items (that didn't include chili spice since I already had it), spent a lot of time at the grocery store buying things, only to come home and as I'm getting ready to make the meal, I find out that something as simple as chili spice has something forbidden in it.  It makes sense to me to check an ingredient list on something like Mrs. Dash (which I probably wouldn't use anyway) or a rub, but not a spice.  Lesson learned.

The USDA has ordered that anyone that wants to keep their organic description must stop using silicone dioxide and use organic rice concentrate instead.  Check any and all brands and types of organic spice blends you have or buy from now on.  A brand that was always compliant before might suddenly not be.  

http://www.foodengineeringmag.com/articles/92430-manufacturers-replace-silicon-dioxide-with-organic-rice-hulls  

I do understand that labels are a land mine and I just got into the habit on Whole30 of reading the label before I buy anything. 

I don't bother with "organic" spices although I do use several spice blends from Primal Palate. Those blends don't have any kind of additives and neither do the cheap generic spices I have. 

If you're interested in staying organic with your spices when you're at the grocery store. I just confirmed with McCormick's that their organic gourmet chili powder has the silicon dioxide, not rice concentrate.  They don't use the USDA organic stamp but it seems if you want that stamp, you're going to get rice in the blend.  I hope it stays that way but I'll be checking diligently before every purchase.  

I've never seen chili powder at Primal Palate but maybe I've missed it.  If they don't have it and you want to stay both organic and additive free entirely, there are recipes all over in books and online for making your own chili powder blend.  (I got over the shock years ago that there is no actual chili pepper in the chili powder blends.)

• 4 months later...

Sorry the rice concentrate is causing a concern.  Spices and seasonings typically like to lump & clump together.  Conventional producers add the synthetic "silicon dioxide" as a free flow agent.  RIBUS has found that rice plants contain naturally occurring silica that is concentrated in the hulls.  Many of today's consumers are looking for natural, organic "clean label" products.  Mrs. Dash uses the "rice concentrate" or you may see "rice hulls" on the label as an anti-caking agent in place of "silicon dioxide".  It is about 10 years old and is addressing the consumer's desire for cleaner labels.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, J. Steve said:

Sorry the rice concentrate is causing a concern.  Spices and seasonings typically like to lump & clump together.  Conventional producers add the synthetic "silicon dioxide" as a free flow agent.  RIBUS has found that rice plants contain naturally occurring silica that is concentrated in the hulls.  Many of today's consumers are looking for natural, organic "clean label" products.  Mrs. Dash uses the "rice concentrate" or you may see "rice hulls" on the label as an anti-caking agent in place of "silicon dioxide".  It is about 10 years old and is addressing the consumer's desire for cleaner labels.

Thanks for weighing in.  This all makes sense, however for the purpose of the Whole30, it does not matter 'why' there is a non compliant ingredient, just that IF there is (of which rice and rice products including hulls or concentrate) it's out for the 30 days.

Archived