My Whole30 Journey - R1, June 1st Start

laurelerin22

I'm starting this log on Day 5 of my first Whole30 experience.  I have to say, I've received an amazing amount of support and encouragement from friends and family so far.  I posted on Facebook about two weeks ago and asked about Whole30.  The number of people who came out of the woodwork to talk about it was incredible.  Everyone had good things to say.  So I jumped in head first.  My start date was Thursday, June 1, 2017.  I tried  to prepare myself and meal prep, but coming off of Memorial Day weekend and an extra day off of work made the couple of days leading up to my start stressful and busy.  Luckily, I managed to put together compliant meals for Thursday and Friday, and then got a larger amount of shopping and prep done over the weekend.  Here are my observations thus far.  Starting today, I will try making a post every day.

About Me:

I'm a 38-year-old mom of 2 boys, ages 3 and 6.  I'm married and I work full-time as an engineer.  Life is very busy!  I try to fit in regular workouts, mostly either running or classes at Orange Theory, but it's usually only 3 times per week.  Since I got married 11 years ago, I've gained 30 lbs.  15 of that was what I call my "partied-my-way-through-my-20s" weight, and the other 15 lbs was put on from motherhood, and mostly from my second pregnancy.  I've always had a REALLY hard time losing weight, harder than most people, I think, although I am admittedly bad at dieting.  I also tend to use working out as an excuse to eat badly... I've been working out a lot the past few months and have GAINED weight - probably some of it is muscle, but I've been overeating, too.  I also have a penchant for overindulging in beer and wine.  My husband is a craft beer lover and homebrewer, and I love IPAs... Unfortunately, I think that stuff is ruining my health, and not just from the calories - I'm convinced that yeast is just terrible for your body.

Diabetes runs rampant through my mom's side of the family, and general weight gain in my dad's side.  My dad is thin, but a lot of his family members are not.  My mother has been overweight for a long time and has struggled to lose weight for as long as I can remember.  She now has Type 2 diabetes and also Addison's Disease, which is a rare metabolic disease.  Like me, however, my mother has never been good at maintaining a healthy diet.  I think both of us suffer from "the sugar dragon".  I have a really hard time flipping the off switch when it comes to sweets, and so does my mom.  I see the same thing in my youngest son, too.  It must be genetic.  (Sidebar: my older son is the complete opposite.  The other day he told me he didn't eat cake at a birthday party he went to.  "I only had a few bites of ice cream, but I didn't finish it".  All I could think was, "Whose child ARE you?!")   Anyway, I decided to try out Whole30 because I want to see if food might be the cause of some aches and pains and mild health problems I've been having.  I'm also hoping that it might help me break the chains of "the sugar dragon" and send me down a healthier path in my life.  As of Day 5, I've been doing much better than I anticipated.  Food prep is a bit of a bear, but I'm managing to find things that aren't super time-consuming and that the rest of my non-Whole30 family will enjoy.

Starting Stats:

Weight:  187.5 lbs

Bust:      41" (measured with bra on)

Waist:    37" (ugh)

Hips:      42"

Day 1:  Had eggs with salsa and guacamole for breakfast, protein salad for lunch (delicious), and grilled chicken thighs for dinner with a side of veggies (broccoli I think?)  The protein salad was awesome.  It contained:  rotisserie chicken, Whole30 mayo, salt and pepper, sunflower seeds, celery, pickle, onion, and grapes (cut in half).  I loved the pop of sweetness from the grapes, the crunch from the sunflower seeds, and the saltiness of the pickles.  I will make a bigger batch next time.  Day 1 was not hard.

Need to get back to work.  I will finish writing up the first 5 days later...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I was reading your post I thought it was very similar to my situation:  38yo, working full-time, married with two daughters 7, 10 and am about 30 pounds overweight (I'm 5'2" so there's not a lot of forgiveness).  Our family has a bad habit of eating out at least 2 times per week (weekends are the worst) and drinking more often than not (Bloody Mary with breakfast, beer with dinner, etc. - this is at restaurants though...I'm not making Bloody Marys at home!), I started my first Whole30 on June 3.  It's hard to do something different when we've had bad habits for so long.  I do have some bad health in my family but it's mostly from lack of exercise and a bad diet.  I decided to try the Whole30 because I was tired of eating processed foods and grabbing the chip bag for my snacks (and so tired of being overweight!).  I've tried many different things and I know what I should and shouldn't be eating, but it's hard without a plan.  I take cycling classes as cardio and walk often, but don't do any weight training.

What I've found most difficult about the Whole30 is certain items that contain non-compliant ingredients that I would have never expected (spices are the biggest surprise).  That, and not being a Debbie Downer when we're on the road and stop at a restaurant and I'm not really eating anything.  I also worry that I'm going to eat something I'm not supposed to.  There are so many habits and what I think is good before the Whole30 might still be fine, just not on the Whole30, but I don't even think about it and eat it anyway.  Ugh!  I really hope that doesn't happen because the idea of starting over is not an option for me.  I feel like I've already sacrificed so much and if I have to start over, that will be really disappointing.  So I'm trying to be very mindful of what I'm doing!

Just wanted to reach out and say good luck!

Oh, and I had a protein salad over the weekend as well - cabbage/carrot mix, shredded leftover chicken, apple, walnuts, S&P with some Tessamae's Ranch dressing - so good!

Hi angiej936!  Glad to have someone along for the ride with me!  Yes, definitely sounds like we have similar situations.  It was tough navigating my first weekend on Whole30, but I also didn't have any major challenges, like eating out or eating with friends.  I packed healthy, compliant snacks and a La Croix sparkling water everywhere I went.  That helped, especially at the movie I took my kids to on Friday night and the birthday party I had to take my older son to on Saturday.  I do feel like the rule that you cannot cheat is helping me on this plan, vs other diet plans I've done.  I had some good success with 21 Day Fix, but I definitely had more wine than I was supposed to, and didn't always manage to adhere to the "container rules" they give you.  The "no cheating or you have to start over" rule with Whole30 has already made me sooo much more aware of how often I pick at my kids' food - an oreo here, a chicken nugget there, "Oh you're not going to finish that ice cream?  OK, I'll have it."  It's tough with kids!!  :-)

I had an RX bar with me (just ordered many of those on Amazon), some walnuts and some jerky just in case.  I also need to get some sparkling water to have at home.  Regular water gets pretty boring.  My husband (who is not good about making the right choices when at the store...) bought donuts and cookies (it was his birthday last week so I guess that's okay...not really) and my daughter asked for one and I thought, I shouldn't even be touching this.  It's so weird (and kind of funny) but I feel like my hand is going to involuntarily put something bad in my mouth and I'm going to sabotage myself so I just need to stay away from anything I'm not supposed to have.  Earlier today I put lip balm on and immediately after I looked at the ingredient list, worried I'm going to find something bad!  I think the Whole30 might be making me a little crazy.  LOL!

UPDATE:  Ugh, or maybe I put something in my mouth voluntarily.  I just had a cashew that contained peanut oil (didn't think to check until after I ate it).  One cashew.  Ugh.

On 6/5/2017 at 5:48 PM, angiej936 said:

I had an RX bar with me (just ordered many of those on Amazon), some walnuts and some jerky just in case.  I also need to get some sparkling water to have at home.  Regular water gets pretty boring.  My husband (who is not good about making the right choices when at the store...) bought donuts and cookies (it was his birthday last week so I guess that's okay...not really) and my daughter asked for one and I thought, I shouldn't even be touching this.  It's so weird (and kind of funny) but I feel like my hand is going to involuntarily put something bad in my mouth and I'm going to sabotage myself so I just need to stay away from anything I'm not supposed to have.  Earlier today I put lip balm on and immediately after I looked at the ingredient list, worried I'm going to find something bad!  I think the Whole30 might be making me a little crazy.  LOL!

UPDATE:  Ugh, or maybe I put something in my mouth voluntarily.  I just had a cashew that contained peanut oil (didn't think to check until after I ate it).  One cashew.  Ugh.

Uh-oh, I've been eating cashews and didn't even think to check the label!!  I'll have to look when I get home.  Don't beat yourself up about the one single cashew.  I think oils derived from soybeans and legumes are really sneaky ingredients, but personally, I have a feeling legumes are the least of my dietary worries.  I also screwed up today with an oil... I made the Mexican tuna from the Whole30 book for lunch, and after I had made the entire batch and was packing it up, I looked at the tuna can and realized I had bought tuna packed in OIL, not water.  When I looked at the ingredient list, soybean oil was on it!  I knew I had squeezed out most of the liquid from the tuna, and I was already running sooo late this morning, so I just had an "eff it" moment and decided I didn't care.  Oh well.  It's probably like a teaspoon of soybean oil.  I seriously doubt that will derail my results when I'm only on day 7!!

Thank you for saying this!!  This is exactly how I feel.  I understand the message that we need to stay on track and follow the plan exactly for the best results, but I also know that the paranoia of accidentally using something that had a non-compliant ingredient in it can be a little overwhelming.  I decided I would do a reset on the cashew eating (at least ones with peanut oil in it) but not on the entire program (I may extend it a few days, but only because I want to, not because I feel like I need to).  I'm doing the Whole30 not because I have a lot of health issues (aside from just being about 30lbs overweight - thank goodness) and I'd like to keep it that way, I'm doing this because I want to learn to eat better and less frequently.  I know what I should and shouldn't eat and have been reading labels for a long time (and do meal planning as often as possible so we aren't tempted to order in or go out), but I have trouble putting it all together so I don't want a snack in the middle of the day or chips at night.  I'm still really struggling with that.  I need to see a pie chart with pictures - not a bunch of words!!  :)

And sorry about the tuna.  I know how frustrating that is.  And it's even more frustrating when it was an accident.  It's not like you made a conscious decision to have wine and cheese for lunch because you just feel like it.  But that's just it.  If you're supposed to start over because of the smallest thing, then I want it to be a BIG thing and I am going to have that wine and cheese for lunch!  (Not really, but you know what I mean.)

Alright, I need to pick this back up... At this point, I don't really remember everything I ate for days 2-5, but I do know that I stuck to plan the whole time, including through my first weekend and a kids' birthday party.

Days 2-5:  End of day 2 I had a raging headache at work.  I'm sure it was sugar withdrawal, but my energy levels were good.  Day 3 still saw some headaches, but mild and shorter.  Day 4 was busy and I just plugged along.  I went for a long run that morning and felt pretty good, but a little low on energy and my speed wasn't so great.  Day 5 was Monday - back to work!  Felt great all day, slight headache in the afternoon.  Hunger between meals was starting to subside, but I was still "boredom snacking" a little (on compliant things like nuts, olives, and fruit).  Over these few days I tried the Whole30 carnitas (delish), chicken hash (great potential, but I need to tweek the seasonings - don't like the crushed red pepper in it), and the Whole30 pot roast (husband really liked it, kids not so much, and I thought it was meh - need to tweek something).  Also had compliant chicken sausage with compliant tomato sauce, tossed with sauteed peppers and onions, for dinner one evening.  We all LOVED this meal - even the kids!

Day 6:  So, suddenly, I'm starting to feel some real results.  On the morning of Day 6, I got up for the first time in months without my feet feeling stiff and achey.  WHAT?!?!  It was actually a bizarre feeling to NOT have that sensation in my feet.  I was thinking it could just be a fluke because I took some Advil when I went to bed late, and I got up early to go for a run with my BRF (that's "Best Running Friend" - you may see me refer to her again).  I noticed while we were out that the mild shin splints I've been fighting off for the past month were also gone.  My legs felt sluggish and tired, though.  I know the book says that athletic performance may take a downturn at first, and I think it has.  My muscles feel like they are lacking for energy, and my pace is slower than usual.  Still, a good day overall!  I had eggs and bacon with avocado and salsa for breakfast, leftover pot roast for lunch, and pesto red snapper with roasted asparagus for dinner (the pesto recipe from Whole30 was good, but mine came out more like a sauce, than a true pesto - jury is out with me on snapper).

Day 7:  Again, woke up this morning with very little stiffness in my feet!!  I had a tiny bit, probably because I ran yesterday and wore heels all day, but not NEARLY as bad as before Whole30.  Went for a run again this morning with a different friend (Happy National Running Day!), and again my legs were out of gas by the end of my 3.5 miles.  I actually made us turn back early because I could tell I was running out of steam halfway through.  I'm hoping my muscles adjust to their new fuel sources soon!  BUT, good news is that I also, once again, had NO sign of shin splints.  Usually, shin splints would really be bothering me after running 12.5 miles in the past 4 days.  Woot-woot!!  Breakfast was eggs and bacon (wanted to add some veggies in but just was running around like crazy this morning), lunch is the Mexican tuna boats (delish), with salad, but I'm not even hungry enough to eat the salad right now, as I'm writing this - maybe later in the afternoon.  I have to go to a school event for parents this evening, right after work, but hubby is going to make me a compliant hamburger when he cooks for the kids, so I'll have that and some vegetables when I get home.  OH, one other observation:  even though I've been lacking on sleep the past few days (late nights, early mornings), I haven't had afternoon crashes where I wanted to nap on my desk at all!!  I am already a believer in this... Let's see how feel in 3 more weeks.  :-)

11 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

Thank you for saying this!!  This is exactly how I feel.  I understand the message that we need to stay on track and follow the plan exactly for the best results, but I also know that the paranoia of accidentally using something that had a non-compliant ingredient in it can be a little overwhelming.  I decided I would do a reset on the cashew eating (at least ones with peanut oil in it) but not on the entire program (I may extend it a few days, but only because I want to, not because I feel like I need to).  I'm doing the Whole30 not because I have a lot of health issues (aside from just being about 30lbs overweight - thank goodness) and I'd like to keep it that way, I'm doing this because I want to learn to eat better and less frequently.  I know what I should and shouldn't eat and have been reading labels for a long time (and do meal planning as often as possible so we aren't tempted to order in or go out), but I have trouble putting it all together so I don't want a snack in the middle of the day or chips at night.  I'm still really struggling with that.  I need to see a pie chart with pictures - not a bunch of words!!  :)

And sorry about the tuna.  I know how frustrating that is.  And it's even more frustrating when it was an accident.  It's not like you made a conscious decision to have wine and cheese for lunch because you just feel like it.  But that's just it.  If you're supposed to start over because of the smallest thing, then I want it to be a BIG thing and I am going to have that wine and cheese for lunch!  (Not really, but you know what I mean.)

Yeah, I am NOT starting over because of that tiny bit of soybean oil!  LOL!

Are you a boredom-snacker?  I am SUUUCCHHH a boredom snacker.  The reason I'm so bad with wine and beer is because drinking an alcoholic beverage keeps me from snacking in the evenings while I'm watching TV with the hubs.  I've found that now I have to constantly have a La Croix in hand to help keep me "occupied" from snacking.  I also bought some snacks to keep around, just in case:  various nuts and fruits.  My personal fave is apple slices with almond butter.  Pistachios are also good because you have to work a little to eat them!  It's also helpful just to keep yourself busy  - I'm finding myself actually FOLDING LAUNDRY in the evenings!!!  Haha!

Boredom/bad habits/routine - Here's what used to be a typical evening (sounds similar to yours and probably many other parents with younger kids) - kids are in bed, time to catch up on our shows with some alcohol and bad food.  For us, drinking leads to snacking.  Or hey, it's a nice day outside:  let's sit outside and enjoy it, but it's impossible to do without having a nice cocktail in our hands at all times...duh.  Or hey, it's a warm evening - let's sit outside by the fire with our drinks.  Or hey, let's go out to HH on Friday afternoon while the kids are still at their babysitter and relax with some beers before we have to pick them up.  (I talk about all these warm and sunny days - I live in WA - we wait like 9 months for these days so it's like a celebration EVERY TIME they happen - being in NY you may have the same situation).  It's almost like, why do certain things if you aren't drinking...because drinking is PART of that thing.  Without a drink, it's not "that thing" anymore.  That's what we're trying to switch with our brains.  All of these things we enjoy doing don't need to include alcohol to enjoy.  But I'm still really looking forward to that nice cool cocktail in July!!  :)

What I've been doing in the evening is after dinner, we usually go for a walk, and then just retreat to our 2nd floor (away from the kitchen).  Our kitchen is next to our family room (on the 1st floor) which is where we would always watch TV.  How easy it is to just grab whatever you want out of the fridge without having to pause your show!  Now we just watch our shows upstairs away from the kitchen, and the temptation isn't even there.

I love apple slices with nut butter (I bought some Justin's portable almond butter packets but I'm not feeling the texture.  I may need to try a different butter because I like almond butter, just not sure I like that one).  Pistachios are a really good idea.  I'll try those.

I hope you ladies don't mind me joining. Similar here in age and start date (37 and started June 3rd so on Day 5 today of my first Whole30 experience). I decided to do this because I feel fatigued and bloated so much lately....not the usual me at all. I also have extra weight (15 lbs) that's just THERE around my midsection and thighs. I too work out a lot but I use that as an excuse to eat even more- frozen yogurt with sprinkles, wine, fried chicken- I rationalize it all and it's a bummer because I have always been such a healthy eater and very energetic.

My boyfriend and I are doing this together but he doesn't seem to want the constant support that I do throughout the process. I think that's a male thing. Anywho, I'd love to jump in and start tracking here if that suits. My so far is below and would love to post daily and comment on the convos! As I type these meals in, I realize I am not eating enough which explains why I am so TIRED the past two days. I'm definitely going to up the intake at meals starting tomorrow, Day 6. Sounds like you two are doing great in your journeys, I hope we can share moving forward! 

Day ONE (couldn't eat much because there was so much protein- just felt really full) 
Breakfast: Tomato & Bacon Quiche, one coffee 
Lunch: Orange Sesame Chicken
Snack: Kombucha (strawberry)
Dinner: Rx Mint Chocolate Chip bar

Day TWO (felt great- more energy) 
Breakfast: Tomato & Bacon Quiche, coffee | Matcha Latte with Almond Milk
Lunch: Orange Sesame Chicken & Broccoli
Snack: Garlic Sweet Potato Fries & Ranch
Dinner: Meatloaf (w/a little ranch)

Day THREE (felt exhausted and in a fog all day) 
Breakfast: meatloaf, avocado and pineapple | coffee 
Lunch: green beans, cauliflower and sausage
Snack: Mint Chocolate Chip Rx bar
Next Snack: Banana with almond butter. a little MORE sausage and fennel.
Dinner: meatloaf. Green beans. Cherries.

Day FOUR
Breakfast: meatloaf, avocado | coffee with creamer
Snack: Earl Grey tea, plain.
Lunch: coconut chicken nuggets + cauliflower
Snack: Rx bar
Dinner: coconut chicken, cauliflower rice with tahini sauce, one prosciutto wrapped date, carrot and avocado salad.

Day FIVE (so TIRED today) 
Breakfast: Ham & Broccoli Frittata mini-loaves | hashbrowns. Black Coffee. Earl Grey Tea.
Snacks: Banana with almond butter, kombucha
Lunch: Avocado Chicken Salad with tomatoes on greens. A few prosciutto wrapped dates.
Dinner: Shrimp, sausage, kale chips over greens with honey mustard dressing (Primal)

@emilybrown31 - Welcome!

I haven't really been keeping track daily (but I probably should since it would be helpful to figure out why I might feel one way or another), but I have noticed that I've been getting irritable in the evenings.  I think it's just because I'm hungry and there's so much going on that I just get frustrated.

Wait - garlic sweet potato fries, orange sesame chicken and coconut chicken nuggets?!  Where did you find these recipes?!  Yum!  I also want to know about the ham & broccoli frittata mini-loaves.  Those sound really good as well (and so portable).

What kind of kombucha do you drink?  My husband gets it a lot but what he finds usually has cane sugar in it.  I haven't looked myself so sugar free may not be that difficult to find, but just curious.

Oh, and don't read the thread I started re RxBars because you won't like what it says.

Congrats on your journey and thanks for joining us!  :)

Oh I've got to read on Rx bars! I'm eating about one a day...so I definitely want to know. They are delicious and completely satisfy the small(er) sweet tooth that I have (I have a RELATIONSHIP with blue corn chips- I'm a salty snacks gal). Will you send me the link?

Re the recipes you mentioned- I found them all on realplans.com. I Paid $30 for the 30 days and it helps you (through an app and online) to plan out your meals, offers tons of recipes and creates your shopping lists (you can also import your own recipes). The iPhone app looks easy to use but it's slow to make changes- I definitely recommend using it on your computer. I got all of those recipes from Real Plans. The Meatloaf, Orange Chicken and Coconut Chicken Nuggets were hands down some of the BEST meals I've ever made. I have to feed a 'non-believer' boyfriend (well in the beginning) so I chose things that I knew would be satisfying. Check it out- https://app.realplans.com/Settings/GetStartedContent

(also I downloaded these recipes and attached for you two ;)) 

Coconut Chicken Nuggets (2).pdf

Orange Sesame Chicken and Broccoli (1).pdf

Super Meatloaf (DF & GF) (1).pdf

2 hours ago, emilybrown31 said:

Oh I've got to read on Rx bars! I'm eating about one a day...so I definitely want to know. They are delicious and completely satisfy the small(er) sweet tooth that I have (I have a RELATIONSHIP with blue corn chips- I'm a salty snacks gal). Will you send me the link?

Re the recipes you mentioned- I found them all on realplans.com. I Paid $30 for the 30 days and it helps you (through an app and online) to plan out your meals, offers tons of recipes and creates your shopping lists (you can also import your own recipes). The iPhone app looks easy to use but it's slow to make changes- I definitely recommend using it on your computer. I got all of those recipes from Real Plans. The Meatloaf, Orange Chicken and Coconut Chicken Nuggets were hands down some of the BEST meals I've ever made. I have to feed a 'non-believer' boyfriend (well in the beginning) so I chose things that I knew would be satisfying. Check it out- https://app.realplans.com/Settings/GetStartedContent

Hi Emily!  Those recipes do sound delicious - thanks for sharing!  Do you think the RealPlans subscription is worth it?  I was debating but decided against it for now... However, I like that it plans everything for you and gives a shopping list!  I'm terrible at meal planning.

On 6/7/2017 at 2:43 PM, angiej936 said:

Boredom/bad habits/routine - Here's what used to be a typical evening (sounds similar to yours and probably many other parents with younger kids) - kids are in bed, time to catch up on our shows with some alcohol and bad food.  For us, drinking leads to snacking.  Or hey, it's a nice day outside:  let's sit outside and enjoy it, but it's impossible to do without having a nice cocktail in our hands at all times...duh.  Or hey, it's a warm evening - let's sit outside by the fire with our drinks.  Or hey, let's go out to HH on Friday afternoon while the kids are still at their babysitter and relax with some beers before we have to pick them up.  (I talk about all these warm and sunny days - I live in WA - we wait like 9 months for these days so it's like a celebration EVERY TIME they happen - being in NY you may have the same situation).  It's almost like, why do certain things if you aren't drinking...because drinking is PART of that thing.  Without a drink, it's not "that thing" anymore.  That's what we're trying to switch with our brains.  All of these things we enjoy doing don't need to include alcohol to enjoy.  But I'm still really looking forward to that nice cool cocktail in July!!  :)

What I've been doing in the evening is after dinner, we usually go for a walk, and then just retreat to our 2nd floor (away from the kitchen).  Our kitchen is next to our family room (on the 1st floor) which is where we would always watch TV.  How easy it is to just grab whatever you want out of the fridge without having to pause your show!  Now we just watch our shows upstairs away from the kitchen, and the temptation isn't even there.

I love apple slices with nut butter (I bought some Justin's portable almond butter packets but I'm not feeling the texture.  I may need to try a different butter because I like almond butter, just not sure I like that one).  Pistachios are a really good idea.  I'll try those.

You just described my (pre-Whole30) life.  We are the same way!!  Good idea about retiring to the second floor to get away from the kitchen.  We have a nice TV in our basement and we've been hanging out down there a lot recently, folding laundry while we watch TV!  LOL!

Yes I think the RealPlans is totally worth the $30. It takes away the anxiety of "what am I going to eat." I spent about an hour to plan the week and we did one big grocery trip....every day I printed out which recipes I was going to make and voila (well, minus the 2 hours a day I spent cooking).

I think I'm more in a groove though on Day 6 and I know I can whip up sausage/brussel sprouts so it's not AS necessary but I will still use it for my second week's planning. 100% yes worth it. 

Day SIX
Breakfast: Ham & Broccoli Frittata/Bacon/Black coffee
Snacks: Rx bar, Banana with almond butter
Lunch: Kale/Tomatoes. Avocado Chicken Salad. Cauliflower Rice w/Tahini dressing. Sweet potato fries.
Dinner: Steak, Sauteed Bok Choy + Chinese Broccoli, Salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, olives with dressing: https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-salad-dressing/)

*Felt great and lighter. In yoga class, felt like there was more 'space.' Looking forward to a great walk tonight and salt bath to wind down the day! 

Whoo-hoo!!!  Already on DAY NINE!!  Through an entire week with no cheats (besides a tiny sneaky bit of soybean oil - we're not going to count that).

Day 8:  Tough day... I had ZERO time to prep anything on Wednesday night or Thursday morning.  Plus, I'm running low on food and need to do a shopping trip (tomorrow morning).  I stopped at my local breakfast spot, where I usually would get a turkey, egg, and cheese on a roll, and instead ordered a veggie "omelette" with no cheese.  I checked beforehand to make sure they didn't put any milk into the eggs, which they don't.  I'm not sure what kind of oil they use, but it wasn't butter.  Anyway, it was tasty!  I was crazy busy at work yesterday and also bogged-down trying to take care of some family stuff at the same time, so I didn't even have a chance to get lunch.  Had a Larabar and some fruit to tide me over.  I had to pick up the kids, get them fed, and then off to baseball practice on my own after work.  Dinner consisted of me throwing together whatever I could find in the fridge.  I had no meat thawed, so I wound up cooking some bacon and brussel sprouts, and microwaving a sweet potato.  Did the job.  Bacon with brussel sprouts and sweet potato is actually pretty good!!  I love the Wellshire Farms paleo bacon.  It's seriously some of the best I've had.  Yet another thing that makes me wonder why our society has to add sugar to EVERYTHING.  On another note, I went to Orange Theory this morning... I'm still feeling low-energy with running right now, but I've also run a lot this week - more than usual.  The rest of the workout was fine - lots of deadlifts during part of it.

Day 9:  Another crazy morning with not much in the house.  Grabbed the last hard-boiled egg, and picked up some fruit while I was running an errand before work.  Having a sweet potato and portabello mushrooms for lunch, with the leftover Mexican tuna boats.  I have cod out to thaw at home, but not sure how I'm going to cook it.  I might grab something else instead and hold off on the cod until tomorrow.  Took today off from exercise.  Hamstrings are shot from the deadlifts yesterday.  I'll go to OTF tomorrow morning.

Have a great day everyone!  Thanks for reading!

P.S.  I was having ridiculous sugar cravings last night.  Haven't had them in a few days, but yesterday was intense.  I saw a pint of gelato in my freezer and caught myself just staring at it longingly.  LOL!

PPS:  A little NSV... I am refusing to weigh myself until this is done, because I don't want to obsess over the scale, but my pants are noticeably looser than they were 9 days ago!  Hubs even commented that I already looked like I had lost a few pounds.  :D

@laurelerin22 I had a hard time this morning.  Got up late and didn't have time to eat breakfast (it's now almost lunch time :mellow: and still haven't eaten anything).  I'll need to be careful throughout the day to make sure I don't crash too much.  Thankfully it's Friday so should be an easier day.

I'm feeling pretty good.  Day 7 for me.  I'm still having a hard time eating enough when I should and at the right times, but I just started writing my meals down so I can see how I feel and see what I need to change.  My only exercise is indoor cycling classes and walking the dogs, which works for me.  Yesterday I took a class and felt pretty good, but will probably take today off just because I messed up so much with meal planning.

Another weekend coming up.  My husband is out of town so that should make it easier to get through.  He's a bad influence!  :)  Have a great weekend!

22 hours ago, laurelerin22 said:

You just described my (pre-Whole30) life.  We are the same way!!  Good idea about retiring to the second floor to get away from the kitchen.  We have a nice TV in our basement and we've been hanging out down there a lot recently, folding laundry while we watch TV!  LOL!

So funny.  I'm sure a lot of married couples (who actually get along) with young children probably do the same thing.  I think it's good to keep busy too, even while watching TV.  I might read or play games on my phone (not ideal but it keeps me busy instead of wondering, hey, why isn't there a drink in my hand?! :D)  We really don't drink that much...I swear...I do not own a Cougar Town wine glass (promise).  LOL!  :P

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, emilybrown31 said:

I had asked a question re RxBars and I felt like I was basically told not to eat (even though the book recommends them).  So you probably don't want to read it.  I'm still going to eat them when I absolutely have to, but you're not really supposed to rely on them (not what I wanted to hear).  If you want to read it, just do a search for RxBars and you'll find it.

Thanks so much for posting those recipes. Those chicken nuggets sound so good!  I'll definitely be making those.  I considered signing up for Realplans but it seemed so expensive (after buying the cookbook and signing up for the Whole30 daily).  I may just buy a couple other compliant cookbooks.  The Well Fed books sound good.  I'm already a little bored with the recipes in Whole30, but there are some good ones (and I haven't gotten through a lot of them, but they just don't seem that interesting to me).

I planned out next week already and included below - in case you want 1/2 of those....happy to download and send along from RealPlans. I also bought the Whole30 book today and have been reading it. I needed more support today....ROUGH day. So hungry, so tired/lethargic and SO MOODY. Making a big dinner and hoping tomorrow is different. I don't think I'm eating enough fat/protein at each meal because I'm starving after 2 hours....so working on that. Bleh, day 7. Not a fan. I'm going to eat the last 2 Rx bars I have and see if I can let those go....:( 

(RealPlans sent me an email with all of the meals recapped- let me know if you want a couple): 

Saturday June 10
Breakfast: (eggs + Sausage with Brussel Sprouts and potatoes )
Lunch: Mushroom Burgers (DF + GF) and Arugula Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing (GROCeRY STORe)
Dinner: Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs (DF + GF)

Sunday June 11
Breakfast: Sweet Potato Toasts (with bacon)
Lunch: Italian Sausage Ratatouille
Dinner: (Shrimp + Haricots Verts then GROCeRY STORe)

Monday June 12
Breakfast: (eggs with chives + bacon. Put Salmon in fridge to defrost. )
Lunch: Cilantro Lime Sweet Potato Wedges (w/ Tilapia )
Dinner: Simple Salad (DF) and Mustard Crusted Salmon (DF + GF) (COOK- meatballs, prep for crock pot)

Tuesday June 13
Breakfast: Savory Breakfast Meatballs
Dinner: Slow Cooker Roast Chicken with Lemon and Garlic and Lemon Green Beans (DF)

Wednesday June 14
Breakfast: Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash
Lunch: Cobb Salad (DF)
Dinner: Grilled Steak with Garlic Shallot Puree and Avocado

Friday June 16
Breakfast: Sunrise Hash (Whole30)
Dinner: Grilled Adobo Pork Chops, Bright Wilted Spinach (DF) and Simple Radish Salad

On 6/9/2017 at 6:34 PM, emilybrown31 said:

I planned out next week already and included below - in case you want 1/2 of those....happy to download and send along from RealPlans. I also bought the Whole30 book today and have been reading it. I needed more support today....ROUGH day. So hungry, so tired/lethargic and SO MOODY. Making a big dinner and hoping tomorrow is different. I don't think I'm eating enough fat/protein at each meal because I'm starving after 2 hours....so working on that. Bleh, day 7. Not a fan. I'm going to eat the last 2 Rx bars I have and see if I can let those go....:( 

(RealPlans sent me an email with all of the meals recapped- let me know if you want a couple): 

Saturday June 10
Breakfast: (eggs + Sausage with Brussel Sprouts and potatoes )
Lunch: Mushroom Burgers (DF + GF) and Arugula Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing (GROCeRY STORe)
Dinner: Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs (DF + GF)

Sunday June 11
Breakfast: Sweet Potato Toasts (with bacon)
Lunch: Italian Sausage Ratatouille
Dinner: (Shrimp + Haricots Verts then GROCeRY STORe)

Monday June 12
Breakfast: (eggs with chives + bacon. Put Salmon in fridge to defrost. )
Lunch: Cilantro Lime Sweet Potato Wedges (w/ Tilapia )
Dinner: Simple Salad (DF) and Mustard Crusted Salmon (DF + GF) (COOK- meatballs, prep for crock pot)

Tuesday June 13
Breakfast: Savory Breakfast Meatballs
Dinner: Slow Cooker Roast Chicken with Lemon and Garlic and Lemon Green Beans (DF)

Wednesday June 14
Breakfast: Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash
Lunch: Cobb Salad (DF)
Dinner: Grilled Steak with Garlic Shallot Puree and Avocado

Friday June 16
Breakfast: Sunrise Hash (Whole30)
Dinner: Grilled Adobo Pork Chops, Bright Wilted Spinach (DF) and Simple Radish Salad

You are so organized!  I feel like I am winging it on a daily basis, but I've found some easy staples, so I'm getting by.

Sorry, I lost this post so I'm glad you both posted so I was notified in my email.  It's hard to keep track of all the different threads.

I found that over the last few days I've gotten up early and had an unbelievable amount of pep in my step but then by the time evening comes, I'm a super B.   I posted about the irritability in another thread and it sounds like I'm not eating enough.  Ugh, how the heck much more can I eat?!  @laurelerin22 I feel like I'm winging it as well and I think that's the problem, but I'm having difficulty making the time to prep ahead.  I feel like I'm about a half-day ahead of the game, but at any moment I feel like things can go sideways and I panic to try to find something to eat.  I'm going to try this meal plan:  http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/, try to prep meals this weekend and hope for a better week next week (yay, school will be out for us so I think that will help a lot!!).  @emilybrown31I'm so tempted to do realplans but I think I'm going to buy the Well Fed cookbooks instead.  I tried the coconut chicken nuggets and they were really good (had sweet potatoes fries with them).  It made me feel like I was eating a little unhealthy which was a nice break.

Anyway, hang in their girls.  We got this!!  :)

Archived