SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE - PURPLE SWEET POTATO VERMICELLI

fungiforager

New to this forum -- on my 2d Whole30 with great success so far.

I use many asian foods in my plan including purple yams and came across this item at a Taiwanese grocery store today:

"Fresh Purple Sweet Potato Vermicelli"  made in China.

The main ingredients are basic -- (purple sweet potato/potato starch and water) plus a preservative I've never heard of 

"sodium dehydroacetate"

It's main use seems to be in cosmetics but it is also used in food in the US -- considered safe by the FDA from what I could find online -- but prohibited in the EU and Australia.  That set off a red flag.

I can do without preservatives -- and the name itself is daunting -- but just in case I figured I'd check.

Anyone know about this stuff and whether it is Whole30 compliant?  Am I being seduced by a substitute for pasta that I should really avoid? 

TIA

• Moderators

These types of 'noodles' are not permitted on the Whole30.  If you want to slice a purple sweet potato into noodle strips, okay but this is making a non compliant item (noodles) and making them with compliant ingredients.  No go, sorry.

OK -- figured as much.  

But my follow-up Q is this: if my reintroduction includes gluten free "noodles" should this "noodle" nevertheless be suspect because of the preservative used in this product? 

What I'm really asking is whether this preservative is considered "clean" for Whole30 purposes -- or if there's a reason why anything containing it should never find its way back into my food supply.

Thanks Sugar!

TIA

• Moderators

The additive is fine for the purpose of Whole30.  Whether it finds its way back into your Food Freedom food supply is entirely up to you. Personally I try and eat food that doesn't have ingredients I need a degree to understand...but how strict you are about additives afterwards is up to you :)

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2017 at 9:29 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

These types of 'noodles' are not permitted on the Whole30.  If you want to slice a purple sweet potato into noodle strips, okay but this is making a non compliant item (noodles) and making them with compliant ingredients.  No go, sorry.

do you mean we are not allowed Zoodles (courgette/Zuchini) or Boodles (butternut squash noodles) if we dont make them ourselves? or even not at all?

Spiralized veggies are awesome and compliant. If it is simply the veggie cut into that shape.  The difference is when they take the sweet potato (or other veggie) and process it down and then "reformat" it to become noodles.  In this form it is a highly processed food that is far from its natural state and made specifically to feel, taste like, and replace pasta

Archived