BRATDOLL's Whole30, Day One

bratdoll

You may know this trick already but put an avocado in a paper bag with an apple. It should ripen faster! By the way, that ground beef with veggies and fruits sounds soo good! I'm getting my CSA meat order tonight, including 5 pounds of ground meat (we order once a month). I think your lunch will inspire future dinners!

Oh yes, I know that trick. I tried eating the avocado before it was ripe and, yeah, that didn't work so well.

Anyhow, I cooked up a couple pounds so that I can just put a couple spoonfuls in a container with veggies :) Fast meal, and great idea from the Well-Fed book (because you can transform it into any meal). I just happen to like seasoned ground beef plain, and I'm absolutely loving being able to eat hamburgers! LOL

BTW, I edited my lunch.... it also has mushrooms in it :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may know this trick already but put an avocado in a paper bag with an apple. It should ripen faster! By the way, that ground beef with veggies and fruits sounds soo good! I'm getting my CSA meat order tonight, including 5 pounds of ground meat (we order once a month). I think your lunch will inspire future dinners!

Hi Renee. I've been looking for a good CSA in Montreal and haven't been able to find one. Are you able to tell me which one it is?

Sorry Bratdoll for Highjacking.

I searched mine through Équiterre: http://www.equiterre.org/solution/fermier-de-famille. The page is in French, but you have the how-to in English here: http://www.equiterre.org/en/solution/family-farmers.

The farm I order from is this one: http://www.equiterre.org/solution/fermier-de-famille/ferme/ferme-formido (again, French only) and I already asked them all about their animals: Beef and veal are all pastured (grass in summer, hay during winter), except sometimes when a mother gives birth to two babies, then she'll have some grains, but not for long. Chicken eat mostly organic grains, but they go outside, so they also eat some hay, bugs, worms.

Friday, November 16: DAY FIFTEEN!!!!

B: ground beef, ghee/onion/green pepper/mushroom/pineapple/broccoli stir fry, espresso/water

L: ghee/onion/green pepper/mushroom/broccoli stir fry, 3 hardboiled eggs, orange, coconut/cashews, unsweetened iced tea, water

D: tbd later hamburger, sauteed veggies in ghee, 1/2 avocado, espresso/coconut milk

I searched mine through Équiterre: http://www.equiterre...mier-de-famille. The page is in French, but you have the how-to in English here: http://www.equiterre.../family-farmers.

The farm I order from is this one: http://www.equiterre...e/ferme-formido (again, French only) and I already asked them all about their animals: Beef and veal are all pastured (grass in summer, hay during winter), except sometimes when a mother gives birth to two babies, then she'll have some grains, but not for long. Chicken eat mostly organic grains, but they go outside, so they also eat some hay, bugs, worms.

Thanks Renee! Thankfully I can read french pretty well(speaking it is always a battle for me since I am a transplant from Ontario)

Saturday, November 17 (DAY 16) and Sunday, November 18 (Day 17):

-B, L, and D were all compliant. It was such a crazy weekend, that I didn't get on the computer once.

However, even after a CELEBRATION DINNER at Outback Steakhouse for being accepted to the Masters of Science in Counseling, with a concentration in Mental Health Counseling program at Johns Hopkins University(!!!) I made great choices, all Whole30 approved.... and I made a grilled lobster tail my treat, along with my 6oz grilled filet, green beans specifically ordered to be sauteed in olive oil, and plain baked sweet potato. :) I am even liking unsweetened iced tea :)

Question: is drawn butter the same as clarified butter, also known as a compliant "oil," alongside ghee, for Whole 30? I put a little on my baked sweet potato, crossing my fingers that I'm right about this thought.....

Monday, November 19, 2012: DAY EIGHTEEN!

B: crockpot chicken tenderloins, raw baby spinach, 1/2 avocado, double espresso/coconut milk

L: crockpot chicken tenderloins, green beans, baked sweet potato (leftovers from last night's dinner), handful coconut/ closed hand cashews, banana, water

D: TBD I wasn't much hungry, so I had a bottle of water, small baked sweet potato/coconut oil, whole avocado/garlic

Tuesday, November 20, 2012: DAY NINETEEN!

B: crockpot chicken, yellow squash/olive oil/mushrooms, espresso/coconut milk

L: Crockpot chicken, salsa, green/yellow peppers and onions, guacamole, unsweetened iced tea, coconut/walnuts (handful)

D: TBD

CONGRATULATIONS! Being accepted to your Masters program is great news! In regards to the drawn butter, according to the Encyclopedia of all knowledge and beyond (aka Wikipedia), "Drawn butter is an American term for a preparation of melted butter, generally clarified.[1][2][3][4] There does appear to be some confusion or disagreement[5] about whether it must be clarified to be considered "drawn", or merely melted with the surface foam skimmed away, or even simply melted. Most culinary experts seem to consider it to be clarified butter."

Sooo I'd think you're safe!

Overall, GREAT job (for W30 and the Masters)!

CONGRATULATIONS! Being accepted to your Masters program is great news! In regards to the drawn butter, according to the Encyclopedia of all knowledge and beyond (aka Wikipedia), "Drawn butter is an American term for a preparation of melted butter, generally clarified.[1][2][3][4] There does appear to be some confusion or disagreement[5] about whether it must be clarified to be considered "drawn", or merely melted with the surface foam skimmed away, or even simply melted. Most culinary experts seem to consider it to be clarified butter."

Sooo I'd think you're safe!

Overall, GREAT job (for W30 and the Masters)!

Thanks, for the clarification AND congrats! :) :) :)

Without being specific, let's just say that last night's dinner was not Whole30.

- Did I completely fall off the wagon? No, but last night's dinner was completely in my control, not a hidden or accidental ingredient.

- Am I Whole30 compliant today? Yes

- Am I still committed to a healthier me, Whole30 compliant included? Yes

- Will the biggest food day of the year, Thanksgiving, be compliant for me? YES.

I am not perfect, and I know that no one is. While I know that certain things like legumes, grains, dairy, etc are all no-good for our bodies, I know that I am making significant changes in my life. Even if for 19-1/2 straight, strict days. I do not consider one non-compliant meal to be what breaks my destination to whole health.

Now, this is also not me making excuses. It wouldn't have been hard to come here and lie about what my dinner was and pretend to be compliant. But I'm here for myself, not anyone else, and since I'm not interested in lying on the internet to in turn, lie to myself, I am going to just be honest about it.

I am moving forward, admitting my mistakes (trust me, I didn't feel good afterwards and I won't do it again) and continuing my healthy food changes. Today is my day 20.

I know that the written rule is Whole30, and a noncompliance = starting over. However, I had planned to make this my life change, not just for 30 days. I found out the hard way that dairy is no good for me. So I'm brushing myself off and gonna keep going................

:unsure:

Archived