5/7 Start - Reintroduction!

Thanks for the encouraging words ladies -I'm just feeling frustrated because every time I think I'm free and clear there is something else that pops up to worry about. In addition to the nose issues I have some elevated blood levels that the oncologist is working up and look I know it's a good thing that my dr's are on top of things but I could bore you with stories about the crazy things that happened to me over the past 21 months. I have been so healthy for all of my life and I'm a nurse so it's very hard for me to be a patient now. But ever the optimist I always remind myself it could be worse.

@emilyelowe I had to giggle about your dog stealing the chicken too, but because it made me think of our sweet yellow lab that we had to put down last Feb. She was the ultimate food thief and couldn't be trusted anywhere near food. She ate things that I thought for sure would upset her but it never did - except the time she ate a whole rack of ribs bones and all!! But she only had an upset stomach for a day or two.

@NoneOtherThanAmy  There are potatoes I found in the produce department of the grocery store that come in a steamable microwave bag. I've tried the petite sweet potatos and there really good, and I've seen them in white and Yukon gold varieties too.  I can't think of the brand right now but it will come to me and I will let you know. 

The new group looks like a hoot gotta go catch up with the posts there now. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All! I know we've been hanging out int the other thread, but this is about off-roading, so it needs to go here. 

So this weekend was rough for me. We had rain on Saturday which always makes me feel somewhat stuffy and off. I swear I have an allergy to rain. :P Then Saturday evening was a planned evening dinner with my new roommates, which included a bottle of red wine and some takeout food + dessert. I ordered Hungarian Goulash from the takeout place which was mostly compliant, I think...maybe the oils weren't compliant, but the rest was just meat + veggies. The dinner came with yummy bread and mashed potatoes, which I ate because gluten hasn't had terrible effects on me, and I figured I could handle the little bit of milk in the mashed potatoes. We split the desserts, and had an apple thing and a crepe stuffed with rose hip jam. I ate the apple one and it was pretty good, probably not really worth it, but still good. I only ate 2 bites of my crepe though...that rose hip jam was so unbelievably sweet that I couldn't finish it. OK, so that was my off-roading: red wine, gluten, dairy, sugar. 

I woke up the next morning feeling fine. I had the leftovers of my stew and mashed potatoes for breakfast and a few hours later I was not even functional. I don't know what happened, but my entire body ached, I was stuffy, nauseated, couldn't focus, and had no energy. All I wanted to do was sleep all day. (As a side note: I hadn't slept well the past few nights) I was so frustrated because Sunday was the most beautiful summer day that have had since about May. No humidity, temps in the low 80s, perfect day to go for a walk and spend time outside, but I couldn't handle it. So you would think that my body would say, "Hey, you screwed up, get back on the healthy eating wagon and nourish me properly so that I don't feel like crap anymore", right? Uh...no. I craved instant food all day long. I just wanted to lay around on the couch not moving and snacking. I managed to make myself some compliant food for lunch and dinner, but I think my meals were too small because I was too tired to do a lot of prep, so I got hungry again late in the day and finally gave in and made myself some packaged spring rolls. :( Luckily, those didn't seem to affect me much because I woke up Monday feeling much better and I'm still feeling pretty good today. 

I'm still trying to figure out what happened though. Was it the combination of all of the things? Maybe red wine and dairy should not be mixed? Was it the off-roading plus the weird rain or mold allergy? While I was in Montreal, I had white wine and bits of desserts several times and never got as miserable as I felt on Sunday. So glad to be feeling better though and that experience is giving me much more motivation to stay on the right track with keeping my diet as clean as possible.

Hey all,

So today is actually day 30 for me.  I am pleased that I am not really craving nor looking forward to any non-compliant foods - but I will do some re-intros to help with my long term and sustainable plan.  

I am grateful to have so much collected experience and wisdom captured here to draw from.

For me, alcohol is a much larger issue and so it is off the table for reintroduction.  I am not happy about that, but we play the hand we're dealt.  First up for me will be gluten free grains.  I don't expect them to be a major issue, but I am also trying not to have any pre-conceived notions interfere with actual self-observation.  I probably will try them on Friday as there are some logistic reasons (road trip) that a Friday date sort of helps.  Question for any moderators - I presume it is inadvisable to do a multiple day reintro - just one item - then get compliant for perhaps longer than two days for the reset?  Also assuming there are no significant issues?  Specifically what I am asking, would it be OK to eat non-gluten grains for 4 consecutive days, all else staying compliant, then get back to full compliance?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Jim4884 I'm guessing you're past needing your question answered, but welcome! How did your reintroductions go?

MMMMK. I know Emily and Susabella are off being healthy and doing resets, so I won't call them back into this thread. I may be having a conversation with myself here, but that's OK. ;) Part of the magic of this thread is just the processing that happens when I write out what went wrong. 

Let's talk about all the off-roading I've done these last few days. I did pretty well up until the interview on Wednesday. I did buy a double chocolate muffin one day, but it was right before my period and I do often crave ALL THE CHOCOLATE in that time. I was also stressing out because I was working on turning my 10-min talk into a 40-min job talk, but I think the craving was more hormonal than stress-related which was a good step. Then I went on the interview...they asked before I came out if I had any dietary restrictions and I told them I wouldn't eat dairy and I was following a paleo diet, but there was some wiggle room on the paleo part. They were great about it, but most of the meals were at restaurants. I did the best I could, but I didn't realize how many things come covered in creamy sauces and cheese. I ordered a crab cake the first night thinking that it might have some breading mixed in, but it came out completely covered in breading, so I tried to eat just the insides, but I basically made a mess and still ended up eating more gluten than I meant to. Then, of course, they wanted to order dessert and who am I to refuse? The restaurant we went to definitely would make totally worth it desserts. I got a flourless chocolate torte and ate about half before wondering how much dairy was in it, so I stopped. The next day I was on my own for breakfast at the hotel, which was fine. There were eggs, bacon, sausage, and honeydew. No veggies, but sometimes you gotta make do. Then lunch was at another nice place and I thought I made an excellent choice in a grilled romaine salad with mango salsa, grilled chicken, avocado, and some sort of vinaigrette. Of course, when the salad came out, it was covered in cheese. I didn't register that queso fresco = cheese for some reason, so I had to do my best to eat around it/scrape it off. I couldn't send it back because we were on a schedule. We ordered dessert again at this place and shared bread pudding with a caramel sauce and a slice of chocolate pie. I ended up getting a migraine after lunch (probably due to the cheese and all the other dairy), so the rest of my visit that day was hard. Luckily, I keep ibuprofen with me, so I didn't have to drive home with a migraine. But then I stopped for fast food on my way home and ate fried chicken and had my first diet soda in months, probably since March or April. I was tired, so the caffeine helped keep me focused for the drive home. I made it home just fine and got mostly back to template meals, but I was craving chocolate chip cookies, so I bought some at the grocery store. The first one was totally worth it and satisfied the craving I was having. I didn't eat more that day, but then I did eat more later in the weekend and I think that was what really woke up my sugar dragon. After dinner last night I was really craving something sweet which was a HUGE red flag for me. I'm also feeling very swollen and puffy and don't have much energy, so I know it's time to get back to eating the way that makes me feel good. 

So, I'm back at it today. I've had a great breakfast and have plans for yummy lunch and dinner as well. I don't think I'll be able to commit to a whole30 yet. I MAY have another interview coming up in a few weeks, so I'm not sure I could complete one and I don't want to commit if I won't be able to complete it. I did learn from this interview though, and will be making better food choices when/if I go on the next interview.

• 3 weeks later...

@emilyelowe  @NoneOtherThanAmy I thought this was the best place to tag you both just to say "Hi" and congratulate you Emily on your whole 30 and to wish you luck Amy on your current one. 

I went to the Cape (Cod that is) for 10 days in the end of August and when we got back it was time to get my oldest 2 back to college and my daughter ready for her second year of highschool.  Looking forward to things getting back into a routine around here!! I am not ready for an "official" whole 30 but I know it's coming soon. Have 2 surgeries scheduled, one in Sept. on in Oct. and will get thru those first. 

Will always be thankful for meeting you ladies on here, you are both very inspiring and just plain fun to follow (here and on insta!!) Look forward to seeing you around these boards in the future!!  

Best to you both!!!!

@Susabella627 Hi! Glad to hear from you again! Sounds like you had a busy and fun August. Hope your surgeries go well. I'll be thinking of you. I'm so grateful to have met you and @emilyelowe on here. 

My new Whole30 is going well, but it's kind of a kick in the pants to realize that I hadn't quite squashed that sugar dragon as thoroughly as I thought. I had a strange KILL ALL THE THINGS day related to not being able to use food to comfort myself when I was going in for a hard day of lab work. Definitely need to work on some new coping strategies! :P 

In much more fun news, I "had" to buy an entire new fall wardrobe seeing as how my all my clothes were completely baggy on me. Seriously. I'm wearing a t-shirt right now that used to be very form fitting and is now more of a loosely fitted t-shirt.

Hope you ladies are doing well! I'm loving the September Whole30 group, but I do miss you two! :wub:

On 9/7/2017 at 9:56 AM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

In much more fun news, I "had" to buy an entire new fall wardrobe seeing as how my all my clothes were completely baggy on me. Seriously. I'm wearing a t-shirt right now that used to be very form fitting and is now more of a loosely fitted t-shirt.

That is awesome Amy!  Clothes shopping is not a big attraction for me, so I punched new holes in a couple of belts so I could wear them tighter - I do admit to smiling the whole time I was doing so... :D

Archived