Slaying the sugar dragon

Renee

I've started my first Whole30 yesterday, and so far I'm feeling motivated!

Yesterday I had:

1st meal: 2 organic eggs + 1 breakfast sausage (porc and beef, no sugar or other weird ingredients)

2nd meal: raw carrots + 4oz steak cooked in bacon grease + grilled aspargus

3rd meal: We roasted a whole chicken and made "gravy" with canned coconut milk, ghee, garlic and chicken broth (homemade). I took a leg + salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil + aspargus with garlic ghee + roasted vegetables.

My bf (who's also doing Whole30) and I did some push-ups, sit-ups and air squats, followed by a bit of yoga and meditation to finish the day.

I'm thinking I need to add a vegetable in my 1st meal?

I resisted leftover Halloween candies that a coworker brought. Next week will probably be harder :wacko: . They are RIGHT BEHIND me and I'm pretty sure they'll start calling my name soon.

Today's breakfast was the same as yesterday.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome and great start! You are absolutely correct about including veggies as part of your first meal of the day.

I bet by next week you will have zero desire for that candy. If you do, add some sweet potatoes into your lunch :D .

Thanks! I'll definitely add veggies to my breakfast by roasting a bigger batch at supper the day before. Yay for leftovers!

I'm at my parents over the weekend and told my dad about my new eating habits, at least for 30 days. He asked me "What DO you eat??" to which I said "Just REAL food. Nothing processed". And I brought my clarfied butter, so sautéing veggies won't be a problem.

Yay for Day 3!! So far, so good! Yesterday, I had lunch with my dad and stepmom. She is watching her cholesterol the traditional-ill-informed way. We (bf and I) told her about medical research not being able to clearly associate dietary cholesterol with heart diseases, etc. Still, it'll need more convincing. She's certain that coconut oil and egg yolks are the devil, and whole grains is what improved her BM (sorry if TMI)... Well, maybe after my Whole30, I'll be able to prove her that REAL food is the way to go, but for now, she's not there yet... My dad wants to know my sources, but he's tempted to believe me. I'm thinking I might e-mail him some real-life testimonials (from here and MDA).

Anyway, we ate a salad with olive oil and white wine vinegar (I'm not 100% sure that's allowed :wacko: but they didn't have balsamic vinegar). Also had a lovely T-Bone (not organic, but not industrially-raised either, somewhere in between,so I trimmed off the obvious strip of fat) and sautéed veggies in clafiried butter. I happily resisted baguette bread, regular butter, wine and cupcakes!

This morning I had an omelette (organic free-range eggs) with mushrooms, yellow bell peppers and onions, cooked in clarified butter.

On to day 5!

Weekend's over and I'm back at work a.k.a I'm sitting at a computer while there's a basket of halloween candies behind me. So far, I'm resisting like a champ! Actually, I haven't really had any cravings...! I mean, I'm sure they taste good and I'd love to have some, but it's under control. Am I just doing great, or should I brace myself for the worst to come?

Tonight will be grocery shopping, because we're pretty much out of vegetables and fruits, which also means that so far, my day was pretty scarce in the foods. My breakfast consisted of my usual two eggs + breakfast sausage and some green onions. Lunch was Bora Bora Fireball (Well Fed, sans pineapple) and asparagus cooked in clarified butter. Dinner will most likely be shredded pork and grilled veggies.

My social challenge is coming faster than I tought. I've been asked today to take the minutes of a meeting that will take place Thursday. Thankfully, I don't have to travel out of town, so I WILL bring my own lunch, I just don't know WHERE I'll eat it... I'm not quite confident enough to eat my lunch with other guests (that I don't really know) and co-workers who will be eating food that's provided for free and face all the questions. The meeting takes place at a Culinary Institute, so you know the food will be great (but not so great for W30).

Hello fellow Montrealer!

Cravings will come and go throughout the whole 30. Usually I was able to distract myself, but I found the true test happened around day 21. It was an insane cupcake craving partnered with a McD's craving (kind of crazy considering I'm not a big fan of either) The dailies discribed it as my bodies last stitch effort to give into the sugar demon. (It stayed for 3 days). So stay tuned for that one. Other than that it sounds like your through one of the toughest stages of it already.

Cheers,

Carla

Day 6 successfuly completed yesterday!

Here's a breakdown of what I ate:

Breakfast: two eggs + sautéed mushrooms + breakfast sausage

Lunch: Pulled pork + Sunshine sauce (recipe from Well Fed) + steamed carrots and clarified butter

Diner: olives + Chocolate Chili (also from Well Fed)

Yesterday night was pretty busy... I went grocery shopping, then started to prepare Chili. While chili was simmering, I washed the dishes and started preparing a whole chicken for cat food (yup, my cats are paleo too!). I then prepared homemade mayo (used 50-50 olive oil and macadamia oil... I can't find light-tasting olive oil so I have to mix it or the taste is too strong). Annnnnnnnnnnnnd I ATE (at like 8:30 PM) Then I "puréed" chicken with vitamins with my food processor and froze some batches for the cats... I got to bed at 11 PM, an hour past my sleep goal...

So I was a bit tired this morning, but definitely not as much as I would normally have been.

Today's breakfast was a sausage and a bowl of blueberries with coconut cream topped with toasted coconut and cinnamon (inspired from a Well Fed recipe)

Lunch will be Chocolate Chili with grilled veggies and clarified butter.

Ok, so I've been pretty busy lately... Day 9 already and it's getting easier everyday.

Day 7... was two days ago! I don't really remember what I ate, but it was probably something like this:

b: blueberries with coconut milk, taosted coconut and cinnamon + breafast sausage

l: I... don't remember! Grilled carrots and asparagus for sure, and OH YEAH! Well Fed's Chocolate Chili leftover.

d: Chicken stir-fry

Day 8 was the first day of the 2-day work conference, which was held in a culinary institute school. I was really afraid the lunch would be somehting I couldn't have, so I brought stir-fry leftovers. Well, it turns out a culinary institute is well equiped for food limitations. So I told them everything I couldn't have and they made me something lovely! The hardest part was resisting butter croissant, chocolate croissant, cookies and gourmet chocolates in the conference room :blink:

b: half an apple and blueberries with same toppings as Day 7 + breakfast sausage.

l: The culinary students made me: lovely salad with olive oil, pan-cooked cod with grilled veggies and clarified butter, and fruits.

d: I got home at about 6:30 and bf and I ate Salisburry steaks (from PaleOMG) and sautéed veggies. The "steak" was SOOO good!!!

Today! Day 9! Another day successfully resisting delicacies served by the culinary institue...

b: half an apple, sautéed in coconut oil with regular toppings and breakfast sausage.

l: same as yesterday (but the "normal" menu sounded sooo good! Main course was beef tail stuffed with goat cheese. I've never had beef tail, but it looked delicious!)

d: TBD

I got the .PDF and then decided to get the print version, because flipping back and forth was easier in the book.

Yeah, I normally like cookbooks in hard copy for that very reason, but Well Fed is really good on Kindle. I do like flipping back and forth on a hard copy but Kindle does it too. It's amazing. Not all cookbooks behave that well on Kindle though.

On to day 11, amigos!

Yesterday I woke up at 11:30. Yeah you read that right. I guess I had some sleep I needed to catch up on! So I only ate two meals, because well, I woke up at 11:30.

So first meal: cantaloupe and usual toppings, and breakfast sausage... This is getting redundant, but it's very good, not too sweet, full of fats and some proteins.

Dinner was a cauliflower+carrots+mushrooms+onions cream (very filling!) along with veal scalopinis cooked with tomatoes, onion and garlic.

I *think* my clothes might be starting to fit looser. I went shopping yesterday and bought 2 pairs of work pants size 8. Usually, 8 is a little tight, but yesterday, they fit just right. I don't know if it's such a good idea to go shopping since I want to reach a size 6 (or 4 in a perfect world, I'm 5 f 3), but they were on sale, and I can't say no to that!

Lucky you! Although I though I would miss crêpes and pancakes, and other paleofyied foods, I don't miss them that much actually. And despite the fact that I usually have a pretty strong Sugar Dragon, my breakfast fruits don't make me crave sugar. I enjoy them and when I'm done, I'm done.

Day 13 completed! The 2-week mark is fast approachin and I'm gettin excited!

I skipped yesterday mostly because I've gotten into a pattern with my meals and it's quite repetitive.

Day 12 looked a bit like this:

b: Fruits, sliced almonds (I'm pimpin' up my usual breakfast with nuts!), toasted coconut and coconut cream aaaand, you guessed it! A breakfast sausage! The last one actually. My CSA order will come through Thrusday, so I won't be too long without my sugar-free perfectly compliant sausages.

l: Ummm... Or yeah! Ground pork à la française (at least, with the "french" spice blend in Well Fed, p.36: dired chives, nutmeg, tarragon, cinnamon and cloves and veggies but I forgot which ones.

d: Spiced pork chops with sweet potatoes.

Today:

b: blueberries and ground cherries (I think that's what they're called...) and usual toppings. No breakfast sausage! So I ate an egg.

l: beef filet mignon. Overcooked :( still good, but medium-well done instead if medium-rare + steamed broccoli and sweet potato leftovers

d: AMAZING fried "rice" with chicken thigh. This fried "rice" is awesome. And I don't even love cauliflower that much. Leftovers will definitely be my lunch tomorrow.

All in all, my W30 is going GREAT! Sure I would like to eat chocolate, but I don't, and I don't even miss it that much. However, my sleep has been quite poor lately. I toss and turn longer than last week before falling alseep and I don't wake up fully replenished. Hopefully it's just getting a little worse before getting better.

Day 14 was yet another success! My breakfast lacked protein. I know. But we were all out of my usual breakfast sausage AND eggs. Ugh! Anyway, here it goes:

b: blueberries, ground cherries, plenty of coconut milk, toppes with coconut, sliced almonds, cinnamon. This was filling for 3 hours, but by 10 AM I got a bit hungry. I don't usually snack, but I made an exception here.

s: olives

l: Still absolutely delicious chicken fried "rice". I don't ofter go crazy with a recipe, but that one was sooo good!

d: sautéed veggies with veal scalopinis cooked with tomatoes and onion.

I also want to give myself a tap on the back for a small success. In my lunch, I had also brough a plum. They taste good, and they're recommended in the fruit category. After my lunch, I forgot about the plum, but I remembered it at 2PM. Usually, I would go "OH! I still have a FRUIT in my lunchbox! Better eat it". But not yesterday! I initially though about eating it, but then I just came to the conclusion that I wasn't even hungry. So I did not eat the plum.

I also did some strengh training (10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 squats - 5 rounds) and some yoga streching exercises. Went to bed at 10:30, so 30 minutes later than my goal, but I fell asleep pretty fast

Unless I fail tonight, I think it's safe to say that I'm done with day 15! Woohoo! Technically halfway through, but I've decided to extend to a Whole45. So one third through!

Today was a great day! I woke up a bit tired, so I will make the effort today to be in bed, lights off at 10 PM, not a minute more!

The food was good, here's a breakdown:

b: usual fruits, yada yada. We were still out of sausages and eggs, so I didn't have many options...

l: veal cutletswith onions, garlic, tomatoes. Also ate some olives.

d: bunless burgers! Yum! I kind of made this recipe: I used half a pound of ground beef, made two patties (only ate one though, the leftover will be my breakfast or lunch) using an egg, chopped mushrooms, powdered garlic and powdered onions. Topped with onions and mushrooms. I tried to wrap it in lettuce, but it wasn't the right kind of lettuce, so I just ate both separately and sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes!

Also, someone at work gave me (and coworkers around me) dark chocolate (72%). I said thanks, put it in my purse, and will consider eating it at the end of my W45. Probably will give it to the bf though, he has more of a salty dragon than a sugar dragon (like me). Yay!

Made it to day 18!

I haven't written anything for the past two day, mostly because there was nothing special to report!

Day 16

The day before I wanted to focus on my bedtime, so I had set a goal of being in bed, lights off at 10 pm. I didn't quite meet my "not one minute more" goal, but I still managed to be in bed at 10:03, which I'll consider a success!

b: leftover burger (ground beef, egg, mushrooms, garlic powder, salt) and a small bowl of fruits (blueberries and coconut oil fried apples) topped with coconut milk, sliced almonds, coconut and cinnamon.

l: 2 compliant mergez sausages, sweet potato

d: Chicken thigh, butternut squash, carrots

Day 17

Yesterday I woke up at noon (geez, I think I should consider being in bed at 9:30 during the week!) so I ate two meals:

1st meal: usual fruits with usual toppings + mergues sausage + something else that I can't remember (I think it was a vegetable but not sure!)

dinner: my boyfriend's family and I went to a restaurant for his cousin's birthday. An asian restaurant... I ordered the Terriaky salmon, no terriaky sauce, salmon grilled with no cooking oil, and steamed veggies, no oil. The server looked at me like I was pretty crazy. Oh well, not that I care. I also ordered sushi as an appetizer. The sushi I chose didn't have any rice: it was salmon, tuna, cucumber, avocado and a radish that I took out because it was marinated and tasted a bit sweet (yeah, I took a mini bite... was not overly sweet, it might have been marinated in rice vinegar, but since I wasn't sure I didn't eat them). Now I think the tuna might have included soy... Didn't think about it when I ate them because the tuna I have at home is just plain tuna and olive oil :wacko: Anyway, I have already decided to extend to a W45, so if I did eat soy, it probably won't have such a big effect in 28 days.

Also, yesterday, something GREAT happened! Ladies, you need to hear this: as I was trying on some of my bikinis, I noticed:

1. I looked better in it! :)

2. HOLY SHIT my cellulite practially dissapeared. I had to look twice at different time of the day to make sure it wasn't just the light. So unless I squeeze my butt, the back of my thighs and my buttocks are pretty smooth!

I am definitely looking forward to the next 27 days to see what else will happen!

Day 20 already! Which means I'm almost half-way through my W45! My boyfriend and I decided to host this year's Christmas dinner with his dad and cousins (we'll be 6), since it will be held on Dec.15 and I'll still be on my (last day of) W45. So Christmas Dinner W30-style! Now, if anyone has ideas on crowd-pleaser meals, let me know! We also have a vegetarian (she doesn't eat anything with legs, so fish is ok)

Day 18 was another lazy day! I woke up at 10:30, ate the usual breakfast, then went shopping! Bought a bikini to celebrate my cellulite-free behind. Came back home at around 6 PM, ate at about 7, then watched some episodes of Smallville. Then went to bed waaay too late (11:30) and couldn't sleep until 12:30 because my boyfriend was still awake and he always drags his feet on the floor when walking. He was wearing his slippers, which made annoying noise each time he'd get up... Short story: poor sleep quality :(

Food recap:

b: half apple + half pear + usual toppings + merguez sausage (not in the same bowl with fruits, though!)

d: Dinner was quite great! We ate Fried "Rice" + Asian "Peanut" Butter Chicken + crispy spinach (they didn,t turn out all that crispy, but were still good)

Day 19

Woke up tired (see above), but managed to keep my energy levels stable throughout the day (Thank you, Whole30). I was supposed to have my first hot yoga class, but I missed it. Thankfully, the nice employee credited my class.

Lessons learned: 1. leave earlier than you normally would 2. Prepare yoga bag in advance. 3. One minute before leaving is NOT in advance.

b: half apple+ half pear + usual toppings (coconut milk, coconut, sliced almonds, cinnamon), sausage

l: leftover Fried Rice with chicken. I love Chicken Fried Rice. Sooo good and such a great way to eat tons of vegetables!

d: Beef steak with Mushroom Gravy, carrots.

Archived