Slaying the sugar dragon

Renee

Yesterday was a great day overall! My evening was super busy: grocery shopping, Christmas decoration shopping, Christmas gift wrapping, some cleaning... Those are the kind of days where I actually notice (then brag about) that I've become fat-adapted. Here is how I know it: I don't get hungry between my meals anymore!

And when your lunch was at noon, and you only get to eat dinner at 9PM, being fat-adapted is THE BEST THING EVER! I mean, 9 hours without eating is like when I eat my breakfast in the morning because my previous meal was just so many hours earlier. Hence, I shall call my day20-dinner "breakfast #2".

So far this week, my sleep is terrible. I mean, I sleep like a baby, but I go to bed much too late. Yesterday I was in bed at 10:45. Fail. I'll try and make it up today by going to bed between 9:45 and 10:00.

Day 20 Food Recap

b: 2-egg omelette, ground meat with sweet potato Who am I kidding, I don't have time for that in the morning! Fruits, coconut cream, coconut flakes, sliced almonds, cinnamon, and a sausage. I really should vary my breakfasts... but I like somethings that's easy and fast to make. And I don't get cravings from my fruits. So I guess it's not too bad?

l: Mild Italian Sausage (organic and compliant) and sweet potato.

b2: Super simple flank steak, sweet potato and guac.

I used to not love sweet potato. Whole30 showed my the right way. I can't believed I've made it to 23 years of existence without sweet potatoes. Now I know better. Thank you Whole30.

Day 21 so far

b: see above. Actually, I did vary today! I ate blackberries.

l: delicious flank steak with grilled vegetables (coloured carrots and sweet potato)

(Edited to add dinner)

d: Sweet potato hash: ground beef, onion, green bell peppers, and of course, sweet potato. Seasoned with salt, allspice and a bit of cinnamon. Easy, fast, simple, yummy!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being fat adapted is so much better than non. I have noticed that I can go on for hours as well. I mean you are hungry, and you want to eat, but you don't need to eat like - Right - Now. It will wait.

Last night was a late night for me as well. 11 pm? No thanks. Not if I have to be up at 5:30 (well that didn't happen) but I was wide awake and ready to go about an hour later. But too late for the gym. :(

I am with you on the sweet potato category. I mean I outright did not like them for so many years. Now I think I like them better than actual potatoes. So yummy. Especially for breakfast.... mmmmmm!

Congrats on day 20! You are 2/3 all the way there. Almost to the halfway point of a whole 45 (If I remember correctly)

Oh wow! I haven't logged in for 3 days! Well, I can't remember exactly what I ate, but I'll try my best! I do know I was 100% compliant, which means today is my 24th day! And 21 to go!

Day 22

b: Actually, I DID vary that day! I ate a portion of sweet potato hash (Well Fed p. 263) and homemade Saurkraut. No fruits! However, I think I prefer my usual fruits. Not because they're sweeter, but because the fruits+coconut milk+almonds+coconut flakes mix has A LOT of fats, which keep me full till noon. With the sweet potato hash, I got hungry at 11. It wasn't too bad though. Being fat-adapted is THE BEST! :D

l: cinnamon beef stew (Well Fed, p. 65)

d: sausage with veggies and saurkraut

Day 23

b: The usual fruits and toppings (fruits were half a pear and some blackberries)

l: sausage, raw carrots, homemade caesar dressing, prosciutto fried in coconut oil (good bacon replacement if you can't find sugar-free bacon!)

d:.....Oh yeah! We ate chicken wings seasoned with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sautéed veggies (onion, green bell pepper, celery)

Today, day 24

Today was a great day! Made it (barely in time) for my 2nd hot yoga practice (holly sh*t, today was intense!) then my boyfriend, our friend, and I went to the Biodôme (sort of a zoo with "real" ecosystems and tons of different species of animal and plants). Didn't have time to eat lunch. Our friend told us: "Oh my god! I don't know how you're still standing if you didn't eat lunch. I know I would have fainted of something..." A discussion about the benefits of running on fat rather than sugar followed. B)

b: breakfast sausage, prosciutto fried in coconut oil and veggies but can't remember which ones...

d: deconstructed burgers: burger pattie (to which I add chopped mushrooms, garlic powder and an egg), tomato, salad, sweet potato, guacamole.

Juzbo, I just found out yesterday that my CSA farmer has sugar-free bacon (lathough I have to buy the pork quarter, I don't think they sell just the bacon). Maybe you could check with your local farmers? I find store-bought (even if organic) bacon always has sugar, but your farmer may be able to make a batch sugar-free. But prosciutto really is a decent replacement!

Day 25

Day 25 was a get-sh*t-done type of day: I did one coat of paint in the kitchen (my boyfriend and I had gotten sooo lazy the past few months and our kitchen is half-painted), mopped the kitchen floor and wrapped Christmas presents. I woke up at around 10:30, ate breakfast at 11, lunch/dinner at 4:30 then a snack/dinner at 8

b: half grapefruit, breakfast sausage, fried prosciutto, sauerkraut

l/d: leftover burger pattie, raw veggies, homemade caesar dressing

d/s: small salad with a bit of chicken, sliced almonds, half avocado, dried cranberries, homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Today so far

b: 2 breakfast sausages, half grapefruit

l: raw veggies (cucumbers and carrots) with homemade caesar sauce, slow cooker pork

d: will update tonight! Beef tournedos with SUGAR-FREE BACON. It was beautiful. I hadn't eaten bacon for AT LEAST 26 days, and now I find out that the bacon from our farmer is sugar free. Also a plateful of raw veggies and homemade ranch and caesar dressings.

Sleep was pretty sh*tty yesterday. My bf and I "adopted" a stray cat, which means that we now have three cats. Two of them are really loud during the night (the other sleeps with us and she's really quiet). They woke me up at 3:30 am :( I was tired when I woke up, but it's all good now.

Thanks Renee, I didn't even think to ask at the farmers market I went to last week.... They do have some meat stalls there... We buy most of our meat at a central market in the city I could ask there too but I think they are just butchers, not farmers... We don't have the same set up here... Pretty much just four supermarket chains... Coles, safeway, iga and aldi... And about four permanent food markets... And then mainly monthly farmers markets in the touristy areas... Lucky mine is weekly, supported by The body shop! can you tell me what a csa farmer is?

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It's basically a direct link between the producer (farmer) and you. In Quebec, we have an organism called Equiterre that helps provide the CSA service. I found out just by googling something like "CSA Quebec". Here, they are also called Family farmers. Then again, Google is your best friend. The way it works (at least, with my farmer) is that they deliver at a drop-off point once a month. I get to pick the cuts I want, or I can buy a quarter of beef/veal/pork. The meat is frozen in a air-tight plastic. My farmer doesn't require customers to be involved in the farm, but some might. You might find this useful: http://www.organicfo...griculture.html

Day 27!

Wow, it's crazy how the past 27 days have just gone by so fast! I am almost 2/3 in my Whole45 and today was a great Whole day!

b: the usual: breakfast sausage, fruits (blueberries and dried cranberries), sliced almonds, coconut flakes, coconut milk.

l: raw veggies, homemade caesar dressing, leftover pork

pre-yoga/snack: I'm not sure if hot yoga needs a pre-workout meal, but I was getting hungry (lunch at noon, yoga class from 6 to 7:15) so I ate two slices of prosciutto fried if coconut oil, celery with homemade ranch dressing (I doubled the spices though).

d: amazing melt-in-your-mouth lamb shoulder, carrots. Ridiculously good.

Day 28

Today was another great day! I woke up a bit tired as I didn't get enough sleep last night (will try to go to bed early today!) but it wasn't too bad. I went grocerie shopping in the evening and overall, the day was pretty uneventful. I have to mention though... I noticed that my cravings are completely gone! As in I can go through that chocolate and candy aisle and not be tempted to buy anything. I'm sure it's been a couple of days since my cravings have dissapeared, but I noticed today.

b: breakfast sausage + orange dipped in coconut milk+cinnamon+coconut flakes.

l: lamb shoulder leftover with carrots (this is so simple yet soooo good!)

d: Chicken asian stir-fry (brocoli, carrots, red bell pepper, red chard, scalions, toasted sesame seeds, coconut aminos, fried in coconut oil). Kiwi. Delicious!!

Oh my! Today is actually day THIRTY! How awesome is that?! I really feel like the next two weeks will just go by so fast. So here's day 29 recap:

b: small slice of cantaloupe (diced), couple of blackberries + usual toppings. Breakfast sausage + Sauerkraut

l: epic asian chicken strir-fry leftover. Veggies that were already a bit evercooked became mushy. Oh well, it was still good in my mouth.

d: Beef T-bone, sautéed veggies, kiwi

So far, today I've had:

b: small slice of cantaloup, egg, mild italian sausage and sauerkraut (ohmygosh no fruits-with-coconut-milk :blink: buuut I got hungry earlier than usual. not enough fat)

l: Simple Herb Crusted Salmon with a salad (romaine lettuce, half avocado, some cranberries, sliced almonds with balsamic vinaigrette. Both DELICIOUS!

Congrats on day 30!!!!!!!!!! :D

THANK YOU! :D I'm actually going for 45 days, so I'm 2 weeks away. But this morning I kind of cheated. I weighted myself. I knew I had lost weight: my size 10 pants are asbolutely too big, and size 8 is definitely not snug. I think size 6 would still be too small, but that's part of my long term goal. I know I can eat this way as a lifestyle (and maybe allow a 10% for special occasions). So this morning I weighted myself, and I'm down 8 pounds! From 146 to 138! I'm really proud so far, not so much because of the weight (although it's still really encouraging to see), but because I'm been able to make (I hope) lasting changes in my diet, and be stronger than my cravings and sugar dragon.

So here's today's recap so far:

b: one egg, one mild italian sausage, kiwi+some blackberries with usual toppings

Hot yoga from 10:30-11:45

l: spaghetti sauce (ground beef, tomato sauce, tons of veggies). My boyfriend is now on day 31, so today he decided to reintroduce gluten. He had pasta with the spaghetti sauce and I didn't even crave pasta, even if it was directly in front of me!

Way to go Renee, great news, hoping I can follow in your footsteps. I'm up to day 24, also planning a whole45, also planning to peak at the scales on day30. Struggled with cravings a lot the last few days and overrate but didn't break.... Hoping the next week will be easier for me. I hope it's a good one for you too!

Thanks guys!! I think the last few days will go by quite fast! Yesterday, I had lunch with my boyfriend's family, at a restaurant. I did my best to stay compliant: ordered a chef salad with grilled chicken breast (I specified no cooking oils or butter) and brought my own casear dressing. The salad arrived in a bread bowl :blink: and the chicken was marinated. I didn't eat the "bowl" and asked what was on the chicken. Can you believe that the chef refused to tell me? Apparently, she couldn't give her "secret recipe" but I've been told it contained spices and lemon juice. How frustrating??

I can't remember exactly what I ate over the weekend, but I know breakfast involed eggs, sausages, fruits. Yesterday we had chicken thighs.

Today I ate:

b: kiwi and blueberries topped with the usuals... And one scrambled egg

l: Well Fed's chocolate chilli, carrots

d: Chicken is roasting in the oven at the moment! Sides will probably be steamed broccoli and other veggie (not yet determined)

Another great day in the bank!

Yesterday I ate:

b: same as yesterday if I remember correctly

l: chicken breast with green beans

d: This salad + chicken breast + half orange

Sleep was not good. I had a hard time falling asleep because my boyfriend couldn't stop moving. and I missed my alarm this morning (by 30 minutes). Gezz, hopefully this night will be much better.

HOYL BATMAN mark your calendars because I did NOT eat fruits for breakfast yesterday! I know, unbelievable! I've relied so much on fruits as part of my breakfast so this truly is news. However, I will admit that my breakfasts have not been a great Whole30 breakfast examples, and I will do my best to address this on my second Whole30 in January. But, in my defense, I don't think I've awaken my sugar dragon with fruits, and with the amount of coconut milk I eat with the fruits, I also get a lot of fats.

Ok, back to yesterday:

b: organic sausage + raw green bell pepper + green beans + steamed brocoli (with clarified butter, of course)

l: pork meat balls (pork + scallions + garlic + nutmeg + salt + crushed chillies), steamed green beans and brocoli, with clarified butter

d: Well Fed's Rice Pilaf (I substituted dried apricots for dried cranberries) Soooo good! I really love using cauliflower as rice. Mine looked more like couscous, same texture also. Leftover pork meatballs.

Today, my no-fruit-for-breakfast momentum has faded. I did, however, have a better night sleep than the day before. I believe I can thank Hot yoga class for that.

So far:

b: half grapefruit (pulp only, I removed the membrane) + kiwi + coconut milk, sliced almonds, coconut flakes, nutmeg.

l: rice pilaf leftover with chicken breast.

Tonight I'm going to pick up a Kombucha SCOBY (aka mother) to make my own Kombucha. I've never had Kombucha before. Hopefully I'll like the taste of this slimy mushroom-fermented tea!

lemon almond rice sounds interesting! I find I actually LOVE using cauliflower as rice! And I don't even love cauliflower, but for some reason, once it's pulverized and nuked and mixed with other stuff, it becomes quite delicious!!

I know I'm not as dilligent on my food log, but it's because eating that way has become an habit. Anyway, today I've had:

b: Ground beef (with tomato paste and veggies) + one egg. Yup, another day without fruits as my breakfast!

Then hot yoga from 10:30-11:45

Then... I kind of forgot to eat a lunch... I know I'm not doing any good, but I didn't actually get hungry until 4PM, and we were going at a restaurant at 6:30. Which brings me to dinner.

d: Ok, so we got at the restaurant at 6:30, but because we had a big group, we didn't eat until 7:30. By that time I was really hungry. I had brought some chicken (that I planned on dumping on my salad, because their chicken was pre-cooked with soy oil and cornstarch [ :blink: ]), so I munched on that, and got smoked salmon with my salad. Also had my balsamic vinaigrette. Like a boss.

Yesterday was something like:

b: fruits with the usual toppings, I think. And a scrambled egg

l: Ok, I've been really bad with lunches... I went shopping after work (I finish at 12) and got home at 5... So, yeah... No lunch :unsure:

d: leftover chicken breast with compliant salsa, ground beef with tomato paste and veggies

Today is day FORTY-ONE *throws confettis*. Yeah, I know, I'm not quite done, but I felt like e-celebrating 41 days on my Whole45!

Yesterday I ate:

b: same as usual I think: fruits, toppings, scrambled egg

l: raw carrots + homemade caesar dressing + steak + steamed broccoli

d: Ground beef + tomato paste + canned tomatoes + broccoli + carrots

Today I ate:

b: a yellow mango (I feel it's not as sweet as the regular kind of mango) with usual toppings + organic sausage. I think I may have eaten about 20g of fat in my breakfast alone. Hell yeah!

l: leftover for yesterday's dinner

d: Edited to add dinner: asian chicken stir-fry with cauliflower rice

Lately I've have trouble falling asleep... I feel like I need about 30-45 minutes before I fall asleep. And I had hot yoga yesterday evening (7:30-8:45), and didn't watch TV when I got home, so I felt good before going to bed. I don't know what's going on, but I'm still ok when I wake up. I'll try to go to bed earlier.

Anyway, pants (size 8) are definitely getting big. I don't have anything in size 6, but I think it would fit! Also, my NYE (or Christmas, I haven't decided) dress now fits great!

I'm looking forward to eating off-plan food during the Holidays (can't lie here! This definitely fall under the "occasional" category, it's not Christmas every day!) BUT I am also looking forward to getting back on track with another W30 in January!

Hey your cats might like the chicken pieces (bones too, raw is safe, not cooked bones). :)

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

My animals took a little bit to transition to this but they love it now. They have a combo of raw meaty bones, as well as diced meat (same meat we eat).

Really interesting website! I'll see with my local farmer if I can get some meaty bones for a reasonable price.

At the moment, I actually make my cats' food myself based on this recipe: http://www.catinfo.o...k=makingcatfood

The only change I make is that I cook the chicken. I don't have a meat grinder, so it's much easier and faster to cook the chicken and then remove the meat. I also add bone broth to the mix. My cat's (the oldest, she's 12) health has greatly improved since making the switch. Sometime I'll give my cats dry kibble, but it's from a natural brand that's grain-free (and basically mostly protein). I know that's not ideal, but with 3 cats, making their food gets time-consuming and expensive. My cats are paleo too :)

And thanks for the encouragement! :)

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs, part of the reason I switched to raw meaty bones, as I was too lazy to make up my own lol.

The cats especially love whole quail, they just munch the whole thing up lol, its kinda gross at first, but you get used to it. I wanted to get things like baby rabbits, but they are hard to get hold of, and frozen mice and rats are soooo expensive, its hideous.

Chicken carcasses, wings and necks are great too.

We are down to the cuts of meat we don't generally eat like stewing beef etc (we bought a 1/4 carcass recently) so just using these cuts for our animals as well.

Archived