Hello! Starting first round on June 8

Heather_r

Hi all,

I read the book over the past couple of weeks and decided to start today (June 8) since yesterday was the last day of teaching for the quarter (I'm a university professor) and I now have more time to make my own meals. I also view starting the Whole30 today as a reward after the school year, meaning I will finally privilege my own health again!

If anyone is also randomly starting today (I know, it's an odd day to start for most), I'd love to find some comrades.

@pwhitaker, great to hear! Is this your first time doing Whole30?

I'm already feeling my sugar cravings like a madwoman. But I knew this would happen, especially since I did what the book suggests against doing (binged on a lot of sugar over the past 2 days before having to get it up!)... Sigh, but from my times cutting out sugar, grains, and dairy (while on Paleo), I do know how much better I feel when I've cut these things out for an extended period of time.

@Laura Oldaker , hello! Congrats on getting through the first 3 days! Yeah, I guess there's some truth to things feeling brutal before getting better!

Is this your first time doing the Whole30?

Good luck to you, and definitely keep me updated about how things are going for you!

Hi, this is my second Whole30.  I did my first one in February. I started June 1st, but after a hot day at the park with my grandchildren I stopped and got us all a small shaved ice.  I was half way through mine when I realized I had messed up!  So, I am starting anew today.  I have restarted a few times this time.  I am not sure why the first one was easier than this time around.  Bacon wrapped shrimp over a bed of greens and artichoke hearts and half of a baked potato w/ ghee was a delicious compliant dinner.  Great ending for the first day.

@Sonniek, welcome back to Day 1 and bravo for getting back on that horse, as they say! :-) Your dinner sounds delicious!

@pwhitaker, I so feel you, I was craving sugar pretty badly, but got through it as well. I find that eating/drinking something bitter or sour helps - so I was drinking a lot of sparkling water with lemon juice today. 

Overall, aside from a bit of sugar cravings, I had a relatively uneventful day - it wasn't too brutal. But in giving up sugar before (and similar to when I give up caffeine), it's often day 3 - 4 that things get serious! 

Ate salmon with sweet potatoes, kale, mushrooms drizzled with olive oil for dinner tonight. And then went to a restorative yoga class. Nice end of the day!

Hi all, Hope Day 1 went well and that you're off to a strong start to Day 2! 

I woke up feeling pretty good except for a dull throbbing around my kidneys and other organs, which normally only happens when super dehydrated (and I drank a ton of water yesterday!) Could be some cleansing stuff, I suppose, or something happening from the restorative yoga class last night. It subsided pretty quickly, though. 

For breakfast, I ate veggie leftovers (sweet potatoes, kale, and mushrooms) with the chicken I slow roasted overnight (with added olive oil for the fat). And of course, my obligatory pour-over black coffee with a ghee-coconut oil mixture. Fortunately, I've been drinking the coffee I make at home this way for a couple years since discovering Paleo, so giving up milk in my coffee hasn't been a challenge for me.

I have to admit that I've not done the meal planning or used recipes yet. Fortunately, I know how to eat Paleo well, and so have been on Whole30 protocol quite easily over the last day. I'm honestly not the best at meal planning, shopping with a list, or following recipes. But I understand the benefits, so will try to do a little meal planning today or tomorrow for the upcoming week. For today, I have the following veggies I'd like to use up, or at least to choose from: red cabbage, green beans, zucchini, and cauliflower. Gotta think of the meat portions and then see what I can do with these - I suppose looking at the recipes in the Whole30 book won't kill me! :-)

Wishing you all power on Day 2!

Working on Day 4.  The cravings have really set it.  I know they talk about it, but I hadn't really experienced it yet.  Yikes!  Fortunately its almost dinner time.  My downfall previously has been unrelenting snacking!  So I probably crave that experience as much as anything.

Hope all is well with everyone working on the Whole30!

@pwhitaker, good for you for conquering the cravings and recognizing your habits with snacking - indeed, it seems to be one of the primary objectives of the program, to gain a deeper understanding of our habits and cravings around food. So, I think you're right on to note that it's probably the experience you're craving (rather than the food itself).

I'm surprisingly not having too many cravings yet, but I feel a headache coming on, which I also think is typical around Days 3 - 5. Thankfully, it's a relatively down day at home. 

Hi all! Hope everyone's Day 6 has been working out for everyone!

On my end: OMG - the carb flu is real. I wasn't really feeling any of the symptoms outlined in the book - Until.Today. I felt like I had a fever and could hardly stay upright. Thankfully, today was a work from home day - I took a midday nap (which the book totally predicts for Days 6 - 7). But not so thankfully, I didn't get the work done that I needed to, but will try a go at finishing the work tonight.

Tomorrow is a day I'll be out from 8am - 8pm. I'm a little worried since I had a long day out yesterday and didn't prepare (I know, my bad) and found myself ravenous and relying too much on fruit and Larabars (the only things on protocol available where I was at). I didn't go off protocol, but it wasn't an ideal eating day. So, tonight I'll be cooking meals for tomorrow and have written it all out - and will bring a cooler in the trunk with my goods. I hope I don't feel as carb flu-like and exhausted tomorrow, since it will be a heavy work day. 

I hope you feel better tomorrow!  I'm proud of you for not going off protocol!  Huge step.  Today was the first day that I braved a restaurant and I didn't know what to eat so I didn't eat anything!  Any advice on how to eat out Whole30 style is appreciated.

Hey all, I started June 9 so I day behind most in this thread.  Started my own thread before noticing this, hope it's OK to pop in here.  I'd been "mostly" following the guidelines for several weeks, so have gotten into pretty good habits about cooking in advance when I have the time to do so.  @pwhitaker, I've found chain restaurants are most likely to have ingredients posted on-line, so far I have not gone into any restaurants where I couldn't do the research in advance.  I've read elsewhere to not be afraid to ask a bunch of questions.  Good luck!

@Jim4884, welcome! Of course, you're more than welcome to join in on this thread - the more, the merrier!

@pwhitaker, I totally hear you about the challenges of eating out. Even when I thought I had done enough research on a restaurant, I found that I made a lot of assumptions about their grilled meats (which, upon asking the place in person, ended up being marinated in yogurt) - I ended up not eating and just hanging with my friends as they ate (thankfully I had a late, large breakfast). Yesterday, I had a full day out and so prepared food and brought it with me in a cooler, but it ended up not enough and still found myself ravenous. I ate a Whole Foods today and realized it is probably the best eating-out option since their hot bar has all of their ingredients listed and had a lot of Paleo options that are Whole30 compliant. I think, if I'm planning to eat out with others, I'll suggest just eating there (fortunately, my friends are down-to-earth enough for that!)

Wow, so today completes Day 7. Honestly, I lost track over the last couple days. I'm generally feeling alright aside from some sugar cravings tonight. And still getting into the swing of being prepared and organized enough.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hey all, I've been caught up in work (which is a good thing mostly), but still going good - hope everyone else is still on-board.  Day 12 for me and feeling good.  People are asking me if I've lost weight, etc, and I can see the difference in the mirror.  I hope everyone can see some kind of benefit because that is helping to keep my motivation strong!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Been sustaining the W30, but have fallen of the blog bandwagon.

Day 26! Woohoo! Hope everyone is doing well.

I've been doing well in that I've kept to the protocol 100%. I've not been able to prepare meals in advance at times, which has left me out in the world very hungy and not finding places I can eat. As a result, I think I've eaten more fruit than I would prefer (or that the protocol suggests), but that's also tough because the local, seasonal fruit is amazing right now (I live in CA and it's stone fruit season). But, ultimately, I've completely avoided grain, sugar, dairy, alcohol, and all the other "no-no's" in the W30, so I feel alright about the little bit of extra fruit.

I've not been able to give any thought to reintroduction, and my in-laws come to stay with us tomorrow (nice people but high maintenance, which stresses me out). It's going to be really tough to maintain W30 for a few more days and then reintroduce, mostly because negotiating 5 other people's (high maintenance) desires for restaurants is a total headache. We also have a small apartment, and the mother always watches and micromanages (i.e. when I'm in the kitchen), so making my own food on the side will entail a ton of explanation (I hate having to explain myself)... anyway, it's all good. I know it will be possible to maintain another few days and then do appropriate reintroduction, it's just going to be the most challenging test of the W30 for me so far! I suppose I at least have the strength of 25 days behind me. :-)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Heather_r said:

Hi all,

Been sustaining the W30, but have fallen of the blog bandwagon.

Day 26! Woohoo! Hope everyone is doing well.

I've been doing well in that I've kept to the protocol 100%. I've not been able to prepare meals in advance at times, which has left me out in the world very hungy and not finding places I can eat. As a result, I think I've eaten more fruit than I would prefer (or that the protocol suggests), but that's also tough because the local, seasonal fruit is amazing right now (I live in CA and it's stone fruit season). But, ultimately, I've completely avoided grain, sugar, dairy, alcohol, and all the other "no-no's" in the W30, so I feel alright about the little bit of extra fruit.

I've not been able to give any thought to reintroduction, and my in-laws come to stay with us tomorrow (nice people but high maintenance, which stresses me out). It's going to be really tough to maintain W30 for a few more days and then reintroduce, mostly because negotiating 5 other people's (high maintenance) desires for restaurants is a total headache. We also have a small apartment, and the mother always watches and micromanages (i.e. when I'm in the kitchen), so making my own food on the side will entail a ton of explanation (I hate having to explain myself)... anyway, it's all good. I know it will be possible to maintain another few days and then do appropriate reintroduction, it's just going to be the most challenging test of the W30 for me so far! I suppose I at least have the strength of 25 days behind me. :-)

Fruit in the summer can be a tricky one... we definitely want people to enjoy the summer fruit season, just try and eat it with meals more often than not :)

I noticed that your second paragraph is a copy and paste from another thread on the forum.  As per forum rules, please don't copy and paste the exact same content into multiple threads... it's okay to join more than one group but we'd ask that your posts are written individually for each time you post :)

Archived