Whole 30 # 3 It's On!!

Susan W

Well if the silence of no tv bugs you too much, do like I did..... Get three snoring bulldogs!!! Just one is annoying, two are ok, three is the magic number..... The cacophony of sounds they make blends into a bully symphony that puts me right out.... I find it very hard to sleep if I travel without them .... :)

Well if the silence of no tv bugs you too much, do like I did..... Get three snoring bulldogs!!! Just one is annoying, two are ok, three is the magic number..... The cacophony of sounds they make blends into a bully symphony that puts me right out.... I find it very hard to sleep if I travel without them .... :)

Now that is hysterical. I do have a Chihuahua and often have her sister (daughter's dog) as well, but they are quiet breathers. :)

Well, my experiment is going well. I know I am sleeping better and longer. It's so much harder to give up my bedtime routine (I should call it "hard to go to sleep routine" :) ), but I know I'm doing the right thing. I'm giving myself one hour with my Kindle. A couple of Angry Bird games (yes, I'm really 12) and the rest reading. I do have my cell phone in there for the hour, but only to listen to soft jazz on Pandora. My new discovery. Love a little Nora Jones to relax to. I've really never enjoyed sleeping. I remember telling my Grandmother when I spent the night with her, that I never slept. Ever. I'm quite sure I did sleep, but I didn't like it. Type A even as a kid.

I'm eating slower. Not a pleasant experience. It's all just something to get used to. My mom has always taken a bite and put her fork down until she's ready for the next bite. It drove my brother and I nuts when we were young because we wanted to scarf and move on to whatever other activity was planned for the night. I'm forcing myself to do the same thing. It's weird to eat food that cools down to room temp. :) I'm not eating as much and I think that's because I am allowing my stomach to tell my brain it's full.

This is all good stuff and I'm glad I'm taking this challenge on.

I've got the e-paper kindle (no LED), which I don't consider a "real" electronic device. I mean, i know it is, but it is supposedly not nearly as disruptive to the brain/sleep thing as a backlit (TV/LED) screen. Can't imagine falling asleep without reading for at least a few minutes ... but I also didn't think I could give up cream in my coffee and managed that somehow! Good luck with your goals, I think they are great :).

(And I second the thumbs up on Let the Great World Spin).

Well, last night was not a good one. I had my cup of calming tea, hot bath and read for an hour. I felt sleepy, but sleep didn't come. Again, I turned the clock around because I didn't want to do that obsessive checking it over and over again. I fell asleep, but woke around 2am. I so wanted to flip the TV on, but I had put my remote out in my storage unit on my deck, so I was not going to go retrieve it. Yes, I know myself well. :) I did finally fall back asleep, but I have that "I've been to a slumber party and we stayed up all night" feeling, so I'm quite sure I didn't get even 4 hours sleep. I'll power through today without a nap because I'm quite sure tonight will be better if I am really tired.

3 neighbors are coming for dinner tonight. They know I'm doing Whole 30 and are excited to see what I make. I know I am doing wilted escarole so I can use some of my fabulous pork belly (as a condiment) and I am making mashed sweet potatoes with coconut cream, but not sure what the protein will be. Maybe a huge pile of grilled shrimp. Beverage will be sassy water served in my pretty champagne glasses. :)

I have a chihuahua too!

This is probably like a lot of things on the whole30 that just take getting used to. I remember thinking just when I got used to a savory breakfast, the next day would be blah all over again. While the immediate effects can't be felt, in the long run you will benefit from this. But I am preaching to the choir and I am sure you already know this!

Your dinner menu sounds delicious!

KB..preach away, the choir is listening. :) Yes, I'm sure you are hitting the nail on the head. Because I was eating strict Paleo before my first Whole30 over a year ago, I never experienced the withdrawls or vicious cravings. At least not like many describe. However, these lifestyle changes are EXACTLY like the food challenges most have for me. I argued with myself for a long time about whether to go retrieve my remote. :) So silly.

I'm glad I'm sticking with it and glad I am logging it to keep myself in check. Who wudda thunk this would be such a huge thing.

Well, last night was an awesome night of sleep. I had dinner at my friend Cathy's house. Her husband and kids agreed to have W30 approved menu or Auntie Susan would have to bring her own food. I cooked dinner with Cathy and everyone loved it. They all loved my home made mayo and quac mix (dip for roasted shrimp) and ghee so much that I had to leave jars of both. :) I came home early and took a hot bath, read my Kindle (not one game of AB), went to bed at 10pm and read for another 30 minutes. Lights out. I did wake up at 4am (my head thinks it's 5am), but went back to sleep and slept until 7:45. WWWHHHHAAAATTTT??????

I'm not fooling myself into thinking I am sleep healed, but how amazing it would be to continue to have this type of experience more and more often. I am a happy camper!!

Archived