Smiths37 Log

smiths37

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole (Based off of this recipe http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/. Added 2 additional eggs, used all 4 chicken sausages, and my veggies were bell pepper, spinach, mushrooms, onion, tomato, and broccoli. Baked for 50 minutes because at 30 and 40 minutes the eggs in the center were still runny. Broke that into 8 servings and wrapped individually and placed in the freezer. Take one out each night to defrost in the fridge and then heat for 1 minute and 20 seconds in the morning. Topped off with ¼ of an avocado). Coffee with nutpod creamer.  

Meal 2 - Sunbasket Grilled Steaks with Roasted Poblanos & New Mexican Chile Salsa (I had ordered the basket last week and realized this meal fit into Whole30, so it was perfect to have this ready to go after being out of town for most of the weekend). 

Meal 3 - Curry Meatballs with Cauliflower Rice, snap peas, and bell pepper (Based off of this http://themovementmenu.com/recipes/whole30-curry-meatballs/. Used an egg instead of the flax seed meal, skipped the fish sauce and arrowroot powder, and used almond butter instead of cashew butter.)

Notes - I almost ruined the plan first thing this morning. I was about to pop my vitamin D in my mouth but decided to check the ingredients first. Glad I did because there’s sugar in them. Next checked my vitamin B - it has soy. So, I’ll be skipping those for the month. Luckily the allergy pill is good to go! Coffee without sugar is going to take some getting used to, but I think the nutpod is a nice addition instead of just plain black coffee. The breakfast casserole is really similar to what I had been eating before, just minus cheese on top, milk added to the eggs, and swapped out the non-compliant turkey sausage that I was using). I slept really terribly last night (too many thoughts going through my head - things I needed to do in the morning, at work, and when I got home; stressing about my refrigerator dying and trying to keep food cool until the new one is delivered on Thursday; weird noises that was the just house settling and freak rain storm; when is this book going to get to the climax - it’s killing me to know what’s going to happen!) so I think part of my meh attitude is related to that and not Whole30. I was starving in the afternoon, which is kind of unusual for me. Didn't snack though, mostly because I didn't have anything with me at work...

1D7A94EB-D510-4B64-9855-FFB3B72E1FE0.jpg

Day 2

Breakfast - Breakfast casserole & coffee with nutpod creamer.  (same as yesterday)

Lunch - Curry meatballs with cauliflower rice, snap peas, and bell pepper (same as yesterday's dinner)

Pre Workout Snack: hard boiled egg. Was also going to have some olives too, but I forgot. 

Workout: 30 min spin class

Post Workout: Cold pressed juice (I understand that it not recommended to have fruit juice. I’m typically not a juice drinker, but juice samples were included in this workout event that I was doing. Since they were made with all compliant ingredients and “no fruit juice” isn’t one of the official rules, I’m not considering this a slip.) Also part of this workout event that I did, we got some salad samples - I requested a Whole30 compliant salad instead of the one that they were offering. They happily obliged and made me one with spinach, tomatoes, avocado, shredded carrots, kalamata olives and a balsamic vinegar/olive oil vinaigrette. The last part of this event was cocktails, but I stayed away! Yay me!

Dinner - More curry meatballs 

Day 3

Meal 1- Breakfast casserole & coffee with nutpod creamer.  

Meal 2 - Last serving of curry meatballs with cauliflower rice, snap peas, and bell pepper 

Meal 3 - Salmon Souvlaki Bowls (Based of this https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/salmon-souvlaki-bowls/. Left out the cheese, farro, and tzatziki. Added a little bit of chopped avocado. Had some cauliflower rice leftover from the curry meatballs, so had some of that on the side too.

Felt tired all day long and was craving a nice cold beer after work. A grapefruit LaCroix had to suffice! Had a cup of tea before bed too since I was craving something (not necessarily sweets, but just something.)

image1.JPG

Day 4

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole & coffee with nutpod creamer.  

Meal 2- Salmon Souvlaki Bowls 

Meal 3- Classic Chili (from the Whole30 book). Made with homemade bone broth. Topped with cilantro and cholula. Was going to add pickled jalapenos too, but the ones I have in my fridge have soy listed in the ingredients. 

Notes: We had our monthly birthday celebration at work today. Resisted the urge to eat cake and ice cream! I thought it was funny that the “timeline” for Whole30 suggests that day 3 and 4 are the “KILL ALL THE THINGS” phase because I’m in a great mood! I was really full after lunch, but about 3 pm got super hungry and water wasn't cutting it, so I guess I wasn't just dehydrated. Had probably less than ⅓ of an Epic bar - nope, those things are not for me! Ew. Glad I only bought one. 

My new fridge was delivered (old one died and so I’ve been living out of an ice chest for about a week). I’m so happy to be able to just look in the fridge and grab what I need rather than dig around (literally!) and don’t have to be changing ice out every day!

Day 5 

Meal 2 - Leftover Salmon Souvlaki Bowls

Meal 3 - Leftover Classic Chili with cilantro and cholula.

Notes: got a bunch of meal prep done for next week since I won't be able to do it over the weekend. Mayo, cooked chicken breast (for protein salad), BBQ sauce (the one from the whole30 book is really pushing the definition of BBQ sauc, even if it is tasty), and breakfast casserole are all ready to go. I picked some less time/labor intensive meals for next week too.

Day 6

Meal 2 - Leftover Salmon Soulvaki 

Meal 3 - BBQ at parent’s house for my mom's birthday and for Father's Day. We grilled chicken with a Cajun rub, zucchini, and potatoes. Green salad on the side that I topped with Tessemae's Caesar dressing. It was hard to resist the cocktails and beers, but somehow I did it! 

Day 7 

Meal 1 - Coffee with nutpod creamer.  Scrambled eggs with bell pepper, onion, and salmon. Topped with fresh tomato and a few dashes of Frank’s hot sauce. A few chunks of pineapple on the side. 

Meal 2 - Protein salad - homemade mayo, poached chicken breast, shredded carrots, red onion, celery, walnuts, yellow mustard, salt, and pepper. Served over greens. 

Meal 3 - Out to dinner. Had a salad that had shrimp, asparagus, avocado, tomato, hard-boiled egg, and artichoke hearts. None of the dressings offered by the restaurant were compliant, but luckily I thought ahead and brought my own (Tessemae’s Caesar dressing). 

We were out on the lake all day, so I drank a TON of water and got at least a little bit of exercise. At dinner, I had iced tea even though all I wanted was a cocktail or a nice cold beer. I have successfully made it through a whole week! I avoided cocktails and other non-compliant foods on 3 separate occasions, so I’m feeling pretty proud of myself going into week 2.  

Day 8

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole & coffee with nutpod creamer

Meal 2 - Protein salad over greens

Meal 3 - Red Kale and Sweet Potato Rice Bowls with BBQ Chicken (http://inspiralized.com/red-kale-and-sweet-potato-rice-bowls-with-bbq-chicken/). Made the BBQ sauce from the Whole30 book because I couldn’t find the Tessemae’s BBQ sauce at any of the stores that carry that brand near me.  

IMG_4413.JPG

13 hours ago, smiths37 said:

Day 8

Meal 2 - Protein salad over greens

Meal 3 - Red Kale and Sweet Potato Rice Bowls with BBQ Chicken (http://inspiralized.com/red-kale-and-sweet-potato-rice-bowls-with-bbq-chicken/). Made the BBQ sauce from the Whole30 book because I couldn’t find the Tessemae’s BBQ sauce at any of the stores that carry that brand near me.  

Forgot that I also had a blueberry RX bar between Meal 2 and Meal 3. I got home and was starving and needed something to tide me over until dinner time. 

Day 9 

Meal 2 - Last of the protein salad over greens. This was a pretty small serving, so I also added a Fruits + Greens Larabar (mango, spinach, and cashew flavor).

Meal 3 - Red Kale and Sweet Potato Rice Bowls with BBQ Chicken

Notes: I hope this supposed energy shows up soon because I’m still absolutely exhausted all of the time and have to drag myself out of bed. My headaches (either from being tired or allergies or who knows what) also have not subsided. 

Day 10 

Meal 2 - Red Kale and Sweet Potato Rice Bowls with BBQ Chicken

Meal 3 - Grilled pork loin with a Moroccan spice rub, Moroccan Veggie Skewers (http://natashaskitchen.com/2013/10/15/grilled-moroccan-vegetable-skewers/), and Moroccan Roasted Potatoes (http://www.partial-ingredients.com/archives/2409). Used a splash of apple juice in place of the honey for the potatoes.   

I almost absentmindedly ate a cookie today. I had a dentist appointment and they always have fresh baked cookies in the lounge area (ironic, huh?). They smelled so good and I was standing right next to them. The only thing that stopped me was my teeth had just been cleaned, why ruin it with a cookie? And then like 10 minutes later it dawned on me - I shouldn't eat the cookie regardless of whether my teeth had just been cleaned or not. 

Day 11

Meal 2 - Grilled pork loin, veggie skewers, and roasted potatoes

Meal 3 - Last serving of Red Kale and Sweet Potato Rice Bowls with BBQ Chicken

It is eerie how close I’m following the Whole30 timeline. Sure enough, I had a dream about food last night. I was with my family and my mom had made dinner and there were beans, rice, and some sort of flat bread. I ate them all without a second thought. Then we were having another meal later in the day and I realized what I had done and that I was about to do it again. So, I sat down and made this honest list of all of the slips that I had made and it turned out that I had basically cheated every day since day 1. I just broke down into tears because I was SO mad at myself that I had messed up and needed to start all over again. Let me tell you - I was extremely relieved when I woke up and realized that I was still on track and no starting over was necessary!

Day 13

Meal 2 - classic chili (from whole30 book) - I had a serving in the freezer from last week.

Meal 3 - Tex Mex Chicken Lettuce Wraps (http://www.eatliverun.com/crock-pot-tex-mex-chicken-lettuce-wraps/) - made my own taco seasoning and cooked in the pressure cooker. Topped with Trader Joe’s Chunky Spicy Guacamole. Quick cabbage slaw (http://www.skinnytaste.com/quick-cabbage-slaw/) and Patatas Bravas (http://www.simplywhisked.com/oven-roasted-patatas-bravas/) on the side. 

Notes: After reading this article (https://whole30.com/2017/05/tiger-blood-help/), I think maybe I need to experiment with upping my carbs and possibly fats, or at least making sure that each meal follows the recommended template. Therefore, I’ve added an apple to breakfast and made a conscience effort to make sure I was eating carbs and a good amount of fat with each meal this week. Hoping this will help with my low energy levels. 

Day 14

Meal 2 - Tex Mex Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Guacamole, quick cabbage slaw, and patatas bravas

Meal 3 - Instant Pot Piccadillo (http://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-picadillo/) with quick cabbage slaw, and mashed plantains (http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/mashed-plantains-machuca-de-platano). Added a dollop of Trader Joe's Chunky Spicy Guacamole on top.  

And that wraps up week 2!

Day 15

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole, apple, & coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk

Meal 2 - Picadillo, mashed plantains, quick cabbage slaw, Trader Joe’s Chunky Spicy Guacamole 

Meal 3 - Rosemary Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon (http://www.skinnytaste.com/rosemary-chicken-salad-with-avocado-and-bacon/). Add some hearts of palm. 

image1.JPG

Day 16

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole, apple, & coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk

Meal 2 - Rosemary Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon

Snack (I was hungry!) - pecan pie Larabar 

Meal 3 - Picadillo, mashed plantains, quick cabbage slaw, Trader Joe’s Chunky Spicy Guacamole 

Day 17

Meal 2 - Picadillo, mashed plantains, quick cabbage slaw, Trader Joe’s Chunky Spicy Guacamole 

Meal 3 - Salmon Cakes (from Well Fed 2 book), Cold Thai Salad (from Whole30 book), Sunshine Sauce (from Whole30 book)

Day 18

Meal 3 - Salmon Cakes and Cold Thai Salad. The serving of the salmon cakes was 1/2 the recipe, so 3 cakes. But I just wasn't really feeling eating last night, so I was only able to eat 2 of them + the salad. I skipped the sunshine sauce too. I'm sure it wasn't enough food, but I just was either not that hungry or not in the mood to eat. 

Day 18 was the most tired I have been throughout this whole process. I started a troubleshooting topic here: 

Hoping I can give some of the suggestions a try during my last week and come out of this feeling good. 

Have some catching up to do - I've been super busy the last few days!

Day 19

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole & coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk

Meal 2 - Our boss took our team out as a thank you/encouragement for a lot of huge projects that just got approved. Normally, I’d be ok with passing on IT lunch, but since this lunch is not just our department getting together for fun but instead it’s specific to just our team and a way for our boss to show us that we’re appreciated, I was sort of obligated to go. Lunch was at a Basque Deli, so obviously I had to have chorizo (I checked with the restaurant beforehand to make sure they didn’t use sugar in their chorizo). I ordered their chorizo salad - greens, chorizo, cucumber, carrot, tomato, bell peppers, green olives, and onions. Added avocado and brought my own dressing (Tessemae’s Avocado Ranch). 

Meal 3 - My family was in town (they’re here to help me put in a new deck over the weekend). We went to a fish market for dinner, which has an awesome concept as part of their menu (you pick your seafood, how it’s cooked, what flavorings are used on it, and what’s on the side - there are a ton of potential Whole30 combinations!) I decided on grilled halibut over greens with a chili lime vinaigrette. 

Day 20

Meal 1 - Southwest breakfast casserole (http://www.plaidandpaleo.com/2015/04/southwest-breakfast-casserole.html) & coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk. Used ground turkey instead of ground chicken, but everything else was the same.  Fruit on the side (cherries, pineapple, strawberries, and grapes). 

Meal 2 - Al Fresco Italian Chicken Sausage with cauliflower salad (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cauliflower-salad ) - left the cheese out of this. The family had their sausages on buns with all the toppings. I just had mine with a little bit of brown mustard. 

Meal 3 - Grilled steaks with potato salad (it’s my mom’s recipe, but I Whole30-fied it by making my own mayo and Italian dressing) and grilled veggies (asparagus and zucchini). Used this marinade for the steaks: http://www.farmsteadchic.com/paleo-whole30-rosemary-garlic-steak-marinade/ and used this recipe for the Italian dressing: http://www.paleocupboard.com/italian-dressing.html (left out the honey and added a bit more vinegar).

This was the first day of working on the deck. I'm proud that I was able to still eat well and feed four other people without going off plan. I was exhausted at the end of the day and was craving a beer after all that hard work in 100-degree temps, but I still stuck with my sparkling water. 

Day 21

Meal 1 - Eggs, potato hash (potatoes, bell pepper, onions), and sausage. Coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk. Fruit on the side (cherries, pineapple, strawberries, and grapes). 

Meal 2 - Slow cooker jalapeno chicken chili (http://www.skinnytaste.com/slow-cooker-paleo-jalapeno-popper/). Used ground turkey instead of ground chicken, everything else was the same and obviously, I left off the cheese.

Meal 3 - Grilled shrimp salad. Marinaded some shrimp in the Italian dressing I made the day before. The salad included mixed greens, radishes, cucumber, tomato, roasted red bell peppers, red onion, snap peas, carrots. Used Primal Kitchen ranch dressing. 

This was day 2 of working on the deck. I woke up sore and tired. It was another successful day of eating on plan and feeding four additional people. 

Day 22

Meal 1 - "Kitchen Sink" scramble - eggs; leftover hash from the day before; leftover sausages, grilled zucchini, and grilled asparagus from a couple days ago; leftover cooked chicken breast my mom brought over; bell pepper; onion; roasted red bell peppers; spinach. Topped with Trader Joe's Chunky Salsa.  Coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk.

Meal 2 - Skipped. I know, bad. But this was the third day of working on the deck. It was sort of unexpected that we'd STILL be working on it. We ate breakfast/meal 1 pretty late in the day and were just trying to get the deck finished so my family could head back home. We finished up about 5 pm and I figured I'd just skip meal 2 since I was still full-ish from Meal 1 and I'd be making Meal 3 soon. 

Meal 3 - Crock Pot Beef Roast with butternut squash and carrot soup, and a green salad (greens, carrots, cherry tomatoes, snap peas, radishes, cucumber, Primal Kitchen Ranch). The Crock Pot Beef Roast started out as the Beef Brisket recipe in the Whole30 book, with their suggestion of adding butternut squash and carrots to make it a meal. I couldn’t find brisket at the grocery store, so I bought a Sirloin Roast instead. I followed the book’s instructions for the slow cooker. When it was done cooking my veggies were practically falling apart, so I decided to puree everything to make a soup. Then I shredded the beef and topped the soup with that. I made this last week, split the beef into 3 servings and the soup into 4 servings. Everything was put in the freezer so I'd have something ready for days like this when I just don't want to/don't have time/don't have the energy to cook. 

I was supposed to head over to CA to go out to dinner with friends, but since we finished working on the deck so late in the day, there was no way I was going to make it over in time. 

Day 23

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole & coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk. Started adding some chopped tomato on top of the casserole.

Meal 2 - Needed a "snacky" type lunch. I was at a BBQ with friends but I showed up late after they were all done eating, but I still needed to get some food in me. I had 4 slices prosciutto; a handful of olives; 3 hard boiled eggs; a few pieces each of snap peas, cucumber slices, and carrot sticks; and a Larabar fruit + greens bar. Maybe not the best or most balanced lunch, but at least I survived until dinner. 

Meal 3 - I was unexpectedly at my family's house for dinner. My mom already had a whole menu planned, so I sort of had to improvise what I ate. Instead of the crab cakes she put together, I used a pouch of tuna to make a tuna cake (added chopped celery, red bell pepper, red onion. Ground up some almonds to make a sort of almond flour. A little bit of egg. A few dashes of old bay seasoning). Instead of the Asian coleslaw (which had soy sauce and peanut butter), I made my own dressing with orange juice, rice wine vinegar, ground ginger, sesame seeds, and a little bit of mustard. Instead of herb butter on grilled oysters, I used some Italian dressing, lemon juice, and/or Frank's hot sauce. Instead of aioli on the grilled potatoes, I used Primal kitchen ranch. I also happened to bring a leftover salmon cake from the week before, so I heated that up as my tuna cake cooked. 

I felt like today was a hard day, mostly because I feel like I was a burden to my mom. My brother had requested specific dishes because he was bringing his girlfriend over to meet my parents. And then I had to be difficult and say that I can't eat 75% of what you're making. I was supposed to meet up with friends after dinner to go see the 4th of July fireworks, but instead, I stayed with my family and played board games. I felt really bad for ditching friends, but I knew that I'd be no fun since I wouldn't be drinking with them. 

Also, as I was putting together the aioli for everyone else to use, I licked the spoon. I don't think I'm going to start over, it was maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of mayo and it was just a habit instead of something I did on purpose. I'm beating myself up over this though and I'm so mad that I did that. Another thing I've been beating myself up over is the ibuprofen I was taking over the weekend to help with the soreness of bending and kneeling and lifting all day. I happened to look at the ingredients and it has corn starch and sugar. So, again, not something I did on purpose, but I'm still so mad at myself for not looking at the ingredients before taking it. 

Day 24

Meal 1 - Chorizo and eggs. Coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk. I know this breakfast was lacking veggies and carbs, but I didn't feel like burdening my dad to make extra food just for me. 

Meal 2 - I almost skipped this just because I was in such a terrible mood. I still felt like I was a burden and I felt bad for ditching my friends and just a general mood of sadness. I actually started crying because I just felt so terrible. My mom threw together a salad, which I ate after they did because even if I was in a bad mood, I knew I still needed to eat because not eating would just make it worse. The salad was greens, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, cooked chicken breast, leftover grilled potatoes, avocado. Dressed with Italian dressing. 

Meal 3 - Orange Chicken Meatballs (http://littlebitsof.com/2017/04/orange-chicken-meatballs/). Used ground turkey instead of ground chicken. Used a coleslaw mix in place of the carrots and cabbage. Omitted coconut flour (and just added a little extra almond flour). Instead of using arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce, I just cooked it down a little bit. Served over cauliflower fried rice (http://littlebitsof.com/2016/01/cauliflower-fried-rice-whole30/). I was going to make a stir-fried cabbage for the side, but I was just so tired and hot and over cooking and I didn't want to make any more dishes. 

My bad mood continued for the rest of the day. And it was accompanied by dizziness. Maybe I'm just exhausted from working on the deck for 3 days in the heat.

Day 25 
Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole & coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk

Meal 2 - Orange chicken meatballs and cauliflower fried rice.

Snack: blueberry RX bar

Meal 3 - Orange chicken meatballs and cauliflower fried rice. Green salad with avocado ranch dressing. 

Day 26 
Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole, & coffee with unsweetened almond breeze coconut and almond milk

Meal 2 - Work potluck. The managers supplied all of the meats and we all broughts sides, snacks, and desserts. I had 2 burger patties with some sliced tomato, onion, and lettuce with yellow mustard. I had some of the salad that I brought (http://meljoulwan.com/2013/06/20/muffaletta-salad/). There were some broccoli florets and used those to dip into some homemade salsa. None of the drinks anyone brought were compliant, so I stuck with water.

Meal 3 - Orange chicken meatballs and cauliflower fried rice. Green salad with Italian dressing. 

Day 28

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole & coffee with unsweetened vanilla almond breeze cashew and almond milk

Meal 2 - Steak and Potato Bowls

Meal 3 - Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl (http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/pork-egg-roll-in-a-bowl-crack-slaw-paleo-low-carb-whole30/), with sautéed snap peas and red bell peppers (cooked in sesame oil with some garlic and coconut aminos)

Day 29

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole & coffee with unsweetened vanilla almond breeze cashew and almond milk. Made some changes the breakfast casserole for this week: added some coconut milk in with the eggs and added a potato crust (2 lbs potatoes, shredded and excess moisture squeezed out. Toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, ¾ tsp salt, and ¾ tsp pepper. Bake in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes before adding the veggies and eggs.) 

Meal 2 - Pork egg roll in a bowl, sauteed snap peas and bell peppers

Snack - I was so hungry for some reason. Lara Bar Fruits + Greens bar and some raw cashew pieces.

Meal 3 - Repurposed the leftover Cauliflower muffuletta salad - add some cooked chicken breast, cooked beets, chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and prosciutto. 

Day 30 

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole & coffee with unsweetened vanilla almond breeze cashew and almond milk

Meal 2 - Pork egg roll in a bowl, sauteed snap peas and bell peppers

Meal 3 - Repurposed leftover cauliflower muffuletta salad

I haven't done the rest of my measurements yet, but when I weighed myself this morning (day 31), I was down 8.2 lbs. Never really got over the tiredness thing or needing a snack about 3 or 4 pm (I mostly tried to ignore it, but there were some days that I did eat a snack). My face cleared up some during the Whole30 but is currently breaking out again (and has been for about a week). Tendonitis in my foot feels like it's actually worse. I feel like my sleep quality is better and most days I'm in a better mood. 

I haven't really made a plan for reintroduction; I've just been too busy to really think about it. Thought about having a glass of wine tonight, but I don't want to open a whole bottle just for myself. Besides, I have some questions about reintroduction that I should research before I start adding stuff back in anyway. 

Archived