Starting June 14th!

KristynUtech

Hi everyone! I am starting my second Whole30 tomorrow, June 14th. I am a college student and completed my first Whole30 in September of 2016. In between then and now, I have done a few 7 and 15 day resets. With the stress of school and work, I have fallen a little off the path and feel I am finally ready to start again. Even with work and a couple summer classes, I am sure I will feel less stressed and busy doing a Whole30 in the summer as opposed to the school year. 

I am trying to get my mother to participate in a Whole30 with me. She is very healthy, but does have a lot of foods that would be considered her FWNB. She says she will participate, but REFUSES to give up her coffee creamer. I have gave her some Whole30 options (nut pods, almond milk, etc) but she won't give in. It really does upset me that I try hard on my Whole30's and she considers herself on the same level as me, even though she cheats everyday. Has anyone else experienced this with a family member and have tips on how to deal with it? 

Also, if anybody else is starting tomorrow I would love to have some accountability partners!

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, KristynUtech said:

It really does upset me that I try hard on my Whole30's and she considers herself on the same level as me, even though she cheats everyday. Has anyone else experienced this with a family member and have tips on how to deal with it? 

Comparison is the thief of joy... seriously, don't worry about what she's doing... no one is the same as anyone, even if they're both doing a Whole30... there are whole30'rs that follow the rules only, the rules and the recommendations and then somewhere in between... worry about you and how you're going to do YOUR Whole30 and let her be... that's my only advice.

Hi KristynUthech. I'm starting over tomorrow on the 14th too. I started yesterday but wasn't prepared well enough so I'm starting for real tomorrow. I need accountability too. I'll do what I can to support you through this journey. I did a Whole 30 several years ago. Need to do it again now and be smarter about reintroduction at the end. I sympathize with your family situation. That can be irritating no matter who it is. Great advice from SugarCubeOD. I can do this for 30 days one day at a time. Have a great Day 1. 

I was aiming to start 16/06, I'd love to join in this thread if it's ok to be 2 days behind? I'd definitely benefit from the accountability too. I eat mostly Paleo save for some dairy so not a huge shift for me, my main challenge will be in avoiding this and also cutting out stevia in hot drinks oh, and chewing gum! Good luck for the first 2 days! I'll check in on Friday.

57 minutes ago, MegAnn26 said:

Hey everyone! I started my first Whole 30 yesterday. I'm looking forward to starting this journey, any tips or tricks for a first timer are welcome. Thanks! 

-Meg

Hi Meg! Glad to have you join us. Since I am home with my family for the summer, it would be hard for me to throw out all non-compliant foods in the house, as not everyone is participating in the Whole 30. So instead, I have full shelves, cabinets, and fridge drawers that contain only Whole 30 foods. This way, I don't have to search and see all the non-compliant foods I can't have during my Whole 30, I can go straight to the cabinet and see what I can eat. Also, have compliant snacks on hand AT ALL TIMES. If you get stuck in traffic, running errands, or just get hungry, it is good to have something available instead of letting hunger talk you into drive thru food. Best of luck on your first Whole 30!

On 6/13/2017 at 11:31 PM, Hawk said:

Hi KristynUthech. I'm starting over tomorrow on the 14th too. I started yesterday but wasn't prepared well enough so I'm starting for real tomorrow. I need accountability too. I'll do what I can to support you through this journey. I did a Whole 30 several years ago. Need to do it again now and be smarter about reintroduction at the end. I sympathize with your family situation. That can be irritating no matter who it is. Great advice from SugarCubeOD. I can do this for 30 days one day at a time. Have a great Day 1. 

Hawk, good luck reentering your Whole 30 journey! I too am hoping to have a better reintroduction at the end. The first time, I didn't dive right in to eating unhealthy foods again, but it slowly creeped up and I didn't notice until it was too late. Definitely looking forward to a better and more sustainable Whole 30 this time!

@MegAnn26 Hi Meg, I am on day 7, but I was eating "mostly" Whole 30 for a few weeks prior.  What I've learned is that advanced preparation in terms of cooking, buying food and THINKING about what you will do/eat in the various situations you will encounter in your life help immensely.  Good luck - I had some pretty good results from mostly adhering to the guidelines, which motivated me to do it right!

Hi All,

I just finished my first Whole30 end of June and I think it's wonderful. I'd already planned to do another one because 1) I still don't have the eating style down pat, and need practice while being accountable, even if I'm the only one who knows. Also I found myself enjoying and relying on all the sweet potatoes a bit too much - which led me to believe my sugar cravings haven't been sorted out. I want to investigate that a little bit further just to make sure.  I started yesterday June 14th. In between the two Whole30's I consciously indulged in my fave almond croissant, and mocha-almond ice-cream from my fave ice-cream place. Yesterday I was near the ice-cream place and in order not to be tempted on my first day, I chose to walk a long way in the other direction and eat my pecans. Having them made me more tired than usual which is good to know.

I look forward to doing this second Whole30 with you guys, and to try some new recipes. (I was eating like a vegetarian and before that like a vegan, for a few years, so it's a major switch to cook meat again. I stocked up on healthy, delicious Whole 30 compliant meat products from Trader Joes so I wouldn't have to handle raw meat with my hands much; and now would like to graduate to cooking ideally grass fed, while keeping the Trader Joes burgers and chicken as backups in my freezer. I highly recommend them).  My veggie intake shot up because I didn't have to worry about the meat, just focused on making abundant and delicious veggies.

I have so much more energy, am a nicer person (seriously! I am. Ask my teen son), and my waist definition is back. The jeans are almost falling off! I hope these gifts of the Whole30 will continue though I still have some issues to sort out. I'd love to hear others' experiences.

Blessings.

@FitAndFabForever I totally am with you on the sweet potatoes! After my first whole 30 I definitely did not have the sugar cravings under control. This time around, I am trying to stay away from a *ton* of fruit, fruit juices, etc., and focus more on eating dense veggies and meat. I have a Sprouts market and Whole Foods near me so it is easy for me to get quality meat products. 

Meg, 

Day 3 was a little difficult for me, as well. I fought headaches throughout a long workday and as a result, didn't eat as much as I should have. I'm really trying to kick the sugar dragon this time around, so I think that was the cause of my problems. I have been staying away from *too much* fruit, lara bars, and rx bars. Hopefully in the long run it pays off!

Hope it's going better with the sugar kicking  and some yukky days and in general? For me, I think I'm doing better - Butternut squash doesn't call me as loudly as sweet potatoes so I'm sticking with that for a bit. But...I think I'm not including enough starchy carbs - my legs get tired when I don't eat enough of them. As a result, after an energetic zumba class one day, I found myself demolishing those "Root veggie" chips which have some sweet potatoes in there.  I've been a bit lazy about planning and preparation and didn't have enough breakfast meat (I always add a sausage or turkey burger to my eggs for breakfast. When I don't eat meat with the eggs, I get hungry earlier and crave carbs (quick energy).  If I'd prepared, I'd have had a post-workout meal ready as described on the Meal Template page. 

Btw, if anyone's interested and hasn't seen this, here's a link to what to expect on the Whole30. While mine didn't follow the timeline, some of the experiences were true for me and it was a relief just to know the process is usually a simple straight line.. https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

FitAndFabForever, 

I haven't been eating near the amount of potatoes I probably should be. I am a very active person and I have felt pretty low on energy the last couple days towards the end of the day. I picked up some yummy breakfast steaks and have been throwing those in for the mornings, sometimes a chicken and apple sausage instead. That helps keep me full until 10 am or so (I eat breakfast around 7). For the most part, my body has followed the timeline, my pants definitely didn't want to go on today lol. How has everyone else been feeling? Ready to start day 10!

Archived