Am I doing this right?

Im about half way through with my first Whole30 and have a few questions as I continue on. I THINK I am following the rules etc but there are a few things that I find myself thinking about a decent amount of the time- 

First, and this might sound pretty ridiculous and maybe I should consider myself lucky, but I really haven't experienced any of the negative symptoms since starting. I read the book and loved that day to day breakdown of what to *possibly* expect and I was ready for the worst! Aside from some food boredom and being totally over prepping meals :-) I've really not had many things change and it got me to start question if maybe I am not doing something wrong. Am I eating too much food? things like that...

Also, I'm not one to shy away from fat portions, it doesn't freak me out as much and I trust everything that I have been reading- it does feel like sometimes I am having a lot of oil etc. I cook most of my food in EVOO as measured by the recipes but sometimes I still find myself thinking "this cant possibly be right...so.much.oil." Sometimes i don't add extra fat after preparing my meals (cooking my veggies and meat) because I don't always see that in the recipes and I honestly feel like it is a lot after just preparing everything in it. 

Lastly, I try to get a variety of veggies in my meals throughout the day, lots of greens etc. There have been a few times when my veg is sweet potato which I like but I also find myself thinking that it cant possibly be right for a meal to be protein and potato only, should I tell myself to get over it beucase it actually is fine to have my veg be sweet potato for some meals or do I need to reevaluate?

Thanks for listening, anxiety has started to take over a bit after not noticing much change- Thanks! 

Hey @JessicaLynne @ welcome to Whole30!

Firstly, not everyone experiences all of the expected 'side effects' as listed in the book/timeline. It depends very much on your diet & state of health preWhole30. I'd just take it as a bonus and be grateful...!!

Secondly fat is your friend. The human brain is 60% fat so it stands to reason that we should be feeding it fat, not refined carbs, for brain health. Eating healthy fats is good for your mood, provides energy, and transports all those fat soluble vitamins around the body. Much of the fat you use for cooking will stay in the pan, or be divided up between portions if you're cooking in bulk, so don't be afraid to add more to your plate. It's hard to over-eat fat due to the satiety that it provides.

Lastly, eating potato/sweet potato is perfectly fine. Eating potato/sweet potato every day is also perfectly fine. Eating it at every meal maybe not so much. Provided you are eating a wide variety of colours & types of veg there is absolutely no reason to fear the humble spud - unless you have problems with blood sugar, or particularly sedentary - in which case you should maybe consider limiting your consumption of potato/sweet potato to every other day.

Hope this helps!

@JessicaLynne

I feel the same way!  Also, about half way through (on Day 17 today!!)  No negative effects (till headache today, randomly.)  And SO MUCH OIL!!  And food!! hahaha.  I def feel sometimes like I'm eating SO MUCH MORE than I ever did on any of the other programs I've done.  And it worries me that I'm going to have GAINED weight at the end of this!

I saw your post and just had to say something b/c everything you said resonated with me!

1 hour ago, thinbythirty said:

@JessicaLynne

I feel the same way!  Also, about half way through (on Day 17 today!!)  No negative effects (till headache today, randomly.)  And SO MUCH OIL!!  And food!! hahaha.  I def feel sometimes like I'm eating SO MUCH MORE than I ever did on any of the other programs I've done.  And it worries me that I'm going to have GAINED weight at the end of this!

I saw your post and just had to say something b/c everything you said resonated with me!

Something to think about - how did those other "programs" work out for you, long term? Whole30 is about going back to the basics and resetting, and then reintroducing eliminated foods to put together the perfect diet for you, so that you never have to "diet" or do another "program" again. How awesome is that?!

Don't stress about gaining weight - stress can wreak havoc on your body and actually cause you to hold on to more weight. What have some of your non-scale victories been so far? 17 days is AWESOME!!!

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, racheleats said:

Something to think about - how did those other "programs" work out for you, long term? Whole30 is about going back to the basics and resetting, and then reintroducing eliminated foods to put together the perfect diet for you, so that you never have to "diet" or do another "program" again. How awesome is that?!

Don't stress about gaining weight - stress can wreak havoc on your body and actually cause you to hold on to more weight. What have some of your non-scale victories been so far? 17 days is AWESOME!!!

Def a good way to think about that!  But it's just an observation, and being so calorie and/or point focused person after so many years, this is just new to get used to!

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, thinbythirty said:

Def a good way to think about that!  But it's just an observation, and being so calorie and/or point focused person after so many years, this is just new to get used to!

Absolutely!! Change like this takes time, so it's certainly important to give yourself some grace, and remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint! It's been 3 years for me since I found the whole30, and I'm still learning so much. Hope you're still going strong on day 23!!

I am only on day 7, but I am experiencing the same thing--no symptoms yet, even though I have been expecting them. I was worried I was doing it all wrong somehow until I read your post. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Thanks!

I am on day 4 and the only symptom I've experienced was the headaches that occurred @ night time while I was sleeping and hunger. Other than that, I haven't felt any other symptom which has also made me feel worried I wasn't doing it right. I am grateful to come across this topic.

Archived