Killing my Sugar Dragon

Hello everyone! First timer here and I have set my start date for June 23rd, but I am overwhelmingly nervous that I won't be able to do this. I have an addiction to sugar that I have just never been able to kick. I've tried multiple cleanses and diets in the past but none of them have worked and actually make my relationship with sugar even more volatile. None of those diets have been the Whole30, though, and I really feel good about this one! I have yet to work up the courage to start though because of my dependency on sugar. I have read and reread the Whole30 book multiple times since December, but this will be the first time I actually do it. I could never start before because I was too scared of failing and caving in to sugar like I have done so many times in the past. For example, every year for lent I give up soda and on that 41st day it's like I didn't even give it up because it just goes down so easy and I'm right back where I started with my dependency on sugary soda. I don't have the best will power and I'm nervous that I won't be able to commit fully to the Whole30 once the withdrawals kick in on days 1-2.

For the veteran whole30ers, does anyone have tips on things I can do to prove successful? I really want to gain a better relationship with food and more importantly, sugar, but when push comes to shove I just can't seem to find the motivation to say no. Any tips or advice or success stories you can share to help kill my sugar dragon for good would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the support!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Christa Patterson said:

For the veteran whole30ers, does anyone have tips on things I can do to prove successful?

Yes.  Follow both the rules and recommendations of the program. Follow the template and eat three template meals a day with the prescribed amount of veggies, protein and fat.  Don't skimp, this is NOT a calorie restriction diet.  Drink 1/2oz of water per pound of bodyweight and find non food related things to do when you're having cravings.

There are loads of resources for free all over this website and many are linked in my signature below.

Hi Christa,

I'm only on day 3 myself but I have a major sweet tooth, too. I was never a big soda drinker, so that was never my vice. However, I can agree at least for the past 3 days, I have made my meals according to the template and made more than I would have usually. I've always drank a ton of water so I stuck with that. I have not had one craving or headache in the past three days. I'm not a veteran and it's far from over, but it's been really great so far.

1 minute ago, NinjaKat said:

Hi Christa,

I'm only on day 3 myself but I have a major sweet tooth, too. I was never a big soda drinker, so that was never my vice. However, I can agree at least for the past 3 days, I have made my meals according to the template and made more than I would have usually. I've always drank a ton of water so I stuck with that. I have not had one craving or headache in the past three days. I'm not a veteran and it's far from over, but it's been really great so far.

Wow congrats! This is really great news to hear going into this. The week leading up to your start, did you change anything about your diet to prevent some withdrawal symptoms? 

I'll be sure to follow your journey as motivation! :) 

1 minute ago, Christa Patterson said:

Wow congrats! This is really great news to hear going into this. The week leading up to your start, did you change anything about your diet to prevent some withdrawal symptoms? 

I'll be sure to follow your journey as motivation! :) 

Not at all! LOL the opposite honestly. I had ice cream several times before Mon the 12th and also on Sunday, I got the bbq I've been craving for a long time. Otherwise, I ate as I normally do. Good luck to you! You can do it!

I think it's important to be honest with yourself, but as with anything in life, I encourage you not to go into it expecting to fail or thinking that you can't do it. Go into it KNOWING that you CAN do it and that you might have some harder days, but you will prevail.

1 hour ago, Christa Patterson said:

For the veteran whole30ers, does anyone have tips on things I can do to prove successful? I really want to gain a better relationship with food and more importantly, sugar, but when push comes to shove I just can't seem to find the motivation to say no. Any tips or advice or success stories you can share to help kill my sugar dragon for good would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the support!

As it says above, stick to the template. I am not a veteran, just approaching the finish line of my second Whole30 this year (and ever). Around the forum I see that most people don't eat enough fat. We've been told our whole lives that fat is evil but it is not, I promise. If I eat a meal without it I get hungry far sooner than I should. So buy those olives, make that mayonnaise, do what you have to do! 

ALWAYS have food in the fridge. There are lots of tips for weekly prep around the forum. Getting caught without food when you're really hungry is dangerous.  

Kicking an addiction is hard. I have a history of disordered eating and also felt fear before starting. I had come a long way already, but this program has changed my life. After the first couple weeks of my first one I felt centered and at peace with food in a way I never, ever had before. 

Join one of the monthly threads to talk to people who start on the same day as you (or within a few days). Most will be first timers. The forum is a huge help. Good luck!!!

18 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

ALWAYS have food in the fridge. There are lots of tips for weekly prep around the forum. Getting caught without food when you're really hungry is dangerous.  

Thank you for the advice! Do you have any suggestions on how I should approach this given that most of the day I'm not at home? I know for the most part this shouldn't be an issue since snacking isn't encouraged, but I'm worried that when I'm at work all day for 10 hours a day it will be hard to fight those cravings and side effects throughout the day.

I'm loving the forum already, it's really making me feel like I can do this! 

Christa, my newest most favorite resource (in addition to It Starts With Food) is Mel Joulwan's "Well Fed Weeknights".  In addition to great recipes, most of which are Whole30 compliant, in the early part of the book there's a chapter on the weekly "cookup".  Within one hour on a Sunday afternoon I had all the essentials to get me through most of the week.  I really can't recommend this strongly enough!

19 hours ago, Christa Patterson said:

Thank you for the advice! Do you have any suggestions on how I should approach this given that most of the day I'm not at home? I know for the most part this shouldn't be an issue since snacking isn't encouraged, but I'm worried that when I'm at work all day for 10 hours a day it will be hard to fight those cravings and side effects throughout the day.

I'm loving the forum already, it's really making me feel like I can do this! 

I have a more traditional workday of 8-8.5 hours, but if you search the forum you'll find many threads helping people with crazy work schedules of 10+ hours plan their food for the workday. The weekly cookup is just taking a chunk out of one day a week to prep a bunch of food so you don't have to spend every spare moment of every day in the kitchen. It can take some practice to get it down. I still have to make the occasional mid-week trip to the grocery store and sometimes it will be a Wednesday and I realize I have nothing for dinner, but practice makes perfect! 

Archived