Coconut amino ingredients

Pippin1

Can someone please help with ingredients in coconut aminos?

I've checked the forums but not entirely clear about this.  I've bought some coconut aminos - the only brand for about 20 miles from here - at some cost.  And I was shocked to see ingrdients on there: coconut syrup, coconut sugar and coconut sap.  Having discussed it with the shopkeeper who ordered it for me, he gave some inconclusive thoughts on it not being real sugar.  I'm not convinced.  Please help.  Is coconut sugar just the result of fermenting and not real at all, or is this all just added non-compliant nasties on something that should be a healthy replacement for soy?

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Pippin1 said:

Can someone please help with ingredients in coconut aminos?

I've checked the forums but not entirely clear about this.  I've bought some coconut aminos - the only brand for about 20 miles from here - at some cost.  And I was shocked to see ingrdients on there: coconut syrup, coconut sugar and coconut sap.  Having discussed it with the shopkeeper who ordered it for me, he gave some inconclusive thoughts on it not being real sugar.  I'm not convinced.  Please help.  Is coconut sugar just the result of fermenting and not real at all, or is this all just added non-compliant nasties on something that should be a healthy replacement for soy?

No, coconut sugar is not the result of fermenting, sugar is added to MAKE something ferment.  One kind of sugar in an amino is approved as the sugar content is eaten up by the fermentation process, however it sounds like a LOT of sugar in this... what's the brand?  It doesn't sound compliant to me honestly...

On 14/06/2017 at 9:05 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

No, coconut sugar is not the result of fermenting, sugar is added to MAKE something ferment.  One kind of sugar in an amino is approved as the sugar content is eaten up by the fermentation process, however it sounds like a LOT of sugar in this... what's the brand?  It doesn't sound compliant to me honestly...

Thanks very much for getting back on this.  The brand is 'The Coconut Company, organic amino sauce.  Ingredients: coconut sap, coconut nectar, coconut sugar, garlic, sea salt. 

• Moderators

I would contact the company and ask them if they add sugar after fermenting.  If they don't, you're good to go (much like Kombucha).  If they do, then it's an option for your Food Freedom but not for Whole30.  It's a bit bizzare that they add three sugars where most of the amino companies do one... 

On 17/06/2017 at 4:15 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

I would contact the company and ask them if they add sugar after fermenting.  If they don't, you're good to go (much like Kombucha).  If they do, then it's an option for your Food Freedom but not for Whole30.  It's a bit bizzare that they add three sugars where most of the amino companies do one... 

Hi.  I've just today had a message from the Coconut Company who said they add the sugar BEFORE fermenting.  That sounds like it's okay but just wanted to check with you?  All fingers crossed.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Pippin1 said:

Hi.  I've just today had a message from the Coconut Company who said they add the sugar BEFORE fermenting.  That sounds like it's okay but just wanted to check with you?  All fingers crossed.

Yes, as long as it's not additionally added after, you're good to go.

Archived