Start Date June 19th

Hello Everyone!

Whole30 is brand new to me.  I have no idea why I hadn't even heard of it.  

I received my book yesterday and have been pouring over it.  Lots of great, motivating reading.  

Right now I do, what's closest to.....Atkins.  I've read quite a bit about Paleo life and can't wait to try this out.  

What will be hardest for me is:

1. No Alcohol

2. No Alcohol =P

3. No heavy whipping cream in my coffee....which I drink ALOT of

What I love about this is that salt is allowed and encouraged.  Definitely LOVE the healthy recipes....especially the crock pot ones and the frittatas.  

I'm hoping these subtle changes to my existing way of eating, will make the difference for me.

Just a quick couple questions.  I see that potatoes are allowed.  In one of my recipes the "bake" calls for shredded potatoes.  How can this be allowed?

And I'd also....I LOVE Golden Delicious Apples...the smaller ones.  If any of you are eating these....how much do you have per day?

Great to meet y'all.  I live in South Texas.

Brenda Sue

I'm with you on everything but the whipping cream issue.  How did I miss not getting THAT little habit?

I've done Atkins and Primal (marksdailyapple.com) but am ready to do a Whole30 beginning June 19th.  I was going to start earlier in the month but life happened.  That's just an excuse obviously but I'm having my last pizza tonight for a while. 

Shredded potatoes are available in the refrigerated sections "Simply Potatoes" and they only have potatoes.  Obviously you could also shred them yourself.  Unless that's not your question.  I tend to refrain from a LOT of potatoes simply because at this point I'm not particularly active (though I have great intentions) and also I'm not that huge a fan of them. 

I think I'll leave the apple question to the moderators.  My personal tendency is to be careful with fruit as I use it as "dessert" or I eat it when I'm not truly hungry.  I can overdo on it especially now in the summer (though I live in Southern California . . . so. )  I like to use it as an enhancement (dates or apples) but I don't want to get into an area where it's actually encouraging my sweet tooth brain to depend upon.

The recommendation for fruit is occasionally and as part of a meal (NOT as "dessert" and not as a snack). And fruit shouldn't crowd veggies off your plate. (Look at the meal template and eat 1-3 cups of veggies at each meal. FIll your plate.) 

Most people eat a serving of starchy carbs like potatoes a day. Others need more. 

Whats wrong with shredding them? Bake, mash, roast, make potato salad--just no deep fried French fries. 

The meal template is here.

Whole30 is not low-carb. And it isn't a weight loss plan. It's an elimination diet so you can find out how the eliminated foods affect you and it's also a way to reset your relationship with food and balance your hormones. 

7 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

Whole30 is not low-carb. And it isn't a weight loss plan. It's an elimination diet so you can find out how the eliminated foods affect you and it's also a way to reset your relationship with food and balance your hormones. 

I want to underscore what ArtFossil says here.  My first (okay, my only) Whole30 I lost MAYBE 2 pounds.  The key was that my seasonal allergies abated, my gut shrank, my sleep was amazing (almost scary), my natural worrier tendency slacked off and I was way smarter.

I also stopped thinking about food all the time. And weighing myself.  And metering myself.  And tracking what I ate and what I breathed and how I moved.  It's not a competition but it is a lesson to be observed and learned from.

Thanks for all the replies!  Your answers are exactly what I needed to know.  

I already downloaded and printed the template for my fridge.  I love that I'll be able to put my food scale away!  =O

And I know I'm supposed to come into this with the, "This is NOT a diet" mindset.  =P  I'm giving this a shot.  It's only 30 days.  And hey.....if all it does is keep me off drinking alcohol for that amount of time.......lol.

My friends and I go out to A bar at least 3 times a week.....after work.  I tried to talk someone (anyone) into trying this way of eating WITH me.....not a SINGLE taker!  Haha! They're having a bon voyage party for me on Saturday night.  It's like I'm moving to another state.

And the reason I brought up potatoes.....notice the "Irish" part of my moniker?  Lol.  I LOVE POTATOES!  But I just thought I'd ask....since I haven't had them in years.  I love sweet potatoes too, just not as much as white...and saw the one recipe for sweet potato crisps...that looked really awesome.

I do very well in structured environments and usually follow whatever thing I'm trying...to a T.  It's gonna be interesting.

11 minutes ago, Irish Texan Chick said:

Thanks for all the replies!  Your answers are exactly what I needed to know.  

I already downloaded and printed the template for my fridge.  I love that I'll be able to put my food scale away!  =O

And I know I'm supposed to come into this with the, "This is NOT a diet" mindset.  =P  I'm giving this a shot.  It's only 30 days.  And hey.....if all it does is keep me off drinking alcohol for that amount of time.......lol.

My friends and I go out to A bar at least 3 times a week.....after work.  I tried to talk someone (anyone) into trying this way of eating WITH me.....not a SINGLE taker!  Haha! They're having a bon voyage party for me on Saturday night.  It's like I'm moving to another state.

And the reason I brought up potatoes.....notice the "Irish" part of my moniker?  Lol.  I LOVE POTATOES!  But I just thought I'd ask....since I haven't had them in years.  I love sweet potatoes too, just not as much as white...and saw the one recipe for sweet potato crisps...that looked really awesome.

I do very well in structured environments and usually follow whatever thing I'm trying...to a T.  It's gonna be interesting.

You got this!

And sweet potatoes = bliss. Seriously. Just don't forget the fat. Ghee? Mayo? Whole30 life is good . . . The fats are your friend--they will help keep you satisfied and help with your alertness and energy level. 

Archived