Is Cauliflower Mash Good for You?

aclefebvre

I am on about day 10 of my Whole 30 and the hardest thing for me to give up is carbs! I am used to eating pasta or something with everything!

I have been replacing that carb with the mashed cauliflower from the cookbook pretty frequently - is this actually a healthy substitute to be eating a lot of? I often don't eat another vegetable with dinner. (To be clear, I eat brussels sprouts, spaghetti squash, etc. too so it's not only the cauliflower, just mostly :))

Would love some thoughts!!

The meal template is 1-3 cups--I.e. FILL your plate with vegetables. I don't know about you but I can't eat 3 cups of cauliflower. (Or spaghetti squash.)

Try to eat a variety of veggies with your meals. It's pretty on the plate but also helps you get a variety of micronutrients and textures and flavors and also makes sure you're not just mindlessnessly eating one vegetable. 

If you're eating a variety of veggies then yes, bring on the squash and cauliflower!

One other thing to consider is that over exposure to any food can result in an intolerance. Cauliflower is already a problematic food in that it's high FODMAP, cruciferous, and high in sulphur..... If you DON'T eat a wide variety of vegetables you may find that there comes a point when you'll have to ;)

Thank you for your response! I understand them being high FODMAP - but do cruciferous vegetables cause any kind of health or nutrition concern? All I really know about them are that they are supposedly cancer-fighting foods.

Also, I definitely could eat 3 cups of cauliflower at one time (not that I normally would).

17 minutes ago, aclefebvre said:

but do cruciferous vegetables cause any kind of health or nutrition concern?

Some people struggle to digest them, especially when eaten in volume, and when eaten raw.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, pmlh46 said:

How does the overexposure to a particular food possibly creating an intolerance apply to eggs? Should I be limiting the number of eggs I eat?

Yes, it can and it's been known to happen to some of our advanced members and mods... it's not guarenteed tho as I eat eggs pretty heavily and have no adverse reactions... you would do best to eat a variety of foods tho and try not to overdo it on any one thing... the recommendation for eggs when your sole source of protein is as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping, which is about 3-4 but to limit your overcomsumption concerns, you could have two eggs and some leftover protein from dinner last night for instance...

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a while to get back here, but I do appreciate your quick response.  I've been having one or two eggs with some kind of meat for breakfast most days.  I don't usually have any additional eggs on those days.  I don't seem to be having any problems so far.

Archived