Am I doing this right?

Hello everyone,

So I am new to whole30, my mom actually recommended it because she knew some people who did it and loved it. I am just worried I am not doing it right--it is only day 4 for me but I feel extremely bloated, I really thought I would've felt a little better about myself. I am scared that I am not eating enough or too much. I am not measuring my protein intake but I personally don't feel that I am "overdoing" it. My largest meal is usually at dinner which I am not sure if that is okay, I also workout but don't always eat pre/post workout- usually because it's either before or right after my "meal time" therefore I am not adding extra food or meals.

M1- I switch it up, scrambled egg whites/eggs with veggies, hard boiled (1-2eggs) or a banana with almond butter.

M2- salad with veggies, avocado, protein and red vinegar/oil

M3-Protein, veggies, potatoes, salad, etc. (usually have more then one serving of vegetables and sometimes protein if I don't feel satisfied)

In between meals I do have some fruit, which I try my best to limit 1-3 servings even though 1-2 is recommended.

I am doing this alone so I don't have anyone to compare things with..I am glad that there is this so someone can help me (lol) and it is great reading about everyone's progress or questions as well!

@Alyssa2 Hey there and welcome! Regarding your feeling bloated I think it is normal; you are likely experiencing the "carb hangover" right now. Have you checked out the Timeline yet? https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

It does look like you may not be eating enough based on what you posted. Template meals call for protein and veggies, with a bit of fat. Fruit should be added as part of a meal and not on its own, so I think the days you have the banana with almond butter may wind up being a bit more sluggish for you. Here's the guide for template meals: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf  I did find that I started feeling more awesome the closer I was to the template, and I find that I am full for 4-5 hours without needing to snack (I do have a mini-meal at 4pm though because I prefer a later dinner time than 5pm). 

Good luck!

Ok, so your breakfast definitely needs some tweaking. Breakfast sets the tone for the day and so if you don;t eat enough you end up playing nutritional catch up all day, and with the cumulative effect of this day in day out you'll really start to drag.

If ANY meal should match the template it's breakfast - a serving of eggs when they are your only source of protein in a meal would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. Most females can manage 3-4 so you're short on protein for starters, and completely lacking in veg. Fruit when eaten first thing in the morning in the way you describe can have a negative impact on blood sugars, causing a spike followed by a dip, followed by hunger - which probably explains your need to snack.

Pre & post WO meals are in addition to your three template meals. Depending on WHEN you work out you may be okay without the preWO, but don't skimp on the postWO, particularly if you are lifting weights or doing some high intensity training - your muscles need the protein for recovery & repair, and the fat in a template meal will slow down absorption of the nutrients preventing protein muscle synthesis.

The bloating you're experienceing could be from a number of things. Nuts are notoriously hard on the digestive system so if the nut better is making a regular appearance along side actual nuts then bingo. Other culprits are too many raw veg, cruciferous veg, high FODMAP foods, too much fruit, and any combination of the afore-mentioned - but without knowing which specific veg you're eating other than the potatoes it's hard to comment further.

How is your water intake? Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily?

Remember too that this is a 30 day program and you are on day 4 - there is usually some adjustment period as your body gets used to this new way of eating - especially if it's dramatically different to how you ate before....

Hope this helps!

ETA: Eat the whole egg!! The yolk is where the bulk of the nutrients are at...!!

This was SOO helpful thank you so much. I will definitely tweak my breakfast and increase my intake. I do drink lots of water every day so I'm not concerned there! I know its only day 4, I was really just worried because the amounts I was eating wasn't causing me to be hungry throughout the day- I was satisified..I just love fruit so darn much I need to be careful!

Thanks again :)

Archived