Mayo....GRRRREAT!!!

Susan W

I always used my immersion blender, but the last several batches came out runny and oily. Now I use my food processor and it's perfect every time! I also use my mayo to make an amazing paleo ranch dressing:

http://mypathtopaleo.blogspot.com/2012/07/traveling-perfect-ranch-dressingdip.html

Doesn't it seem wierd that our immersion blenders worked beautifully and then all of a sudden didn't work at all? I will report back if my new one works well. I do love the dump it all into the beaker as opposed to drizzle the olive oil slowly.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, see...with an immersion blender, you get to put all the ingredients in the beaker at once. It's magical and wonderful. .... I don't want to go back to drizzling oil, so my new Breville immersion blender is sitting in all it's glory on my counter. It's very pretty. :)

Seriously?! I had no idea. I stood there with my Breville immersion blender going full speed and drizzling oil drop by drop, and after 5 minutes I was only 1/3 cup down. Not fun! I almost ruined the batch by over blending, I think, if that's even possible. But anyway, my inaugural mayo is now finished and safely in the fridge. That uses up a boatload of oil, though, doesn't it? Going to have to buy the bigger bottles now. And find new recipes for mayo. :)

Seriously?! I had no idea. I stood there with my Breville immersion blender going full speed and drizzling oil drop by drop, and after 5 minutes I was only 1/3 cup down. Not fun! I almost ruined the batch by over blending, I think, if that's even possible. But anyway, my inaugural mayo is now finished and safely in the fridge. That uses up a boatload of oil, though, doesn't it? Going to have to buy the bigger bottles now. And find new recipes for mayo.

I got my Breville yesterday and made mayo. The beaker is big so I was too chicken to do it without drizzling. I did drizzle fairly quickly though. It turned out great. Next batch I will try it. On my cell right now but when I get back to my laptop, I will post the you tube video that shows you how to do it. :)

I always used my immersion blender, but the last several batches came out runny and oily. Now I use my food processor and it's perfect every time! I also use my mayo to make an amazing paleo ranch dressing:

http://mypathtopaleo...ressingdip.html

I actually drilled a small hole into the bottom of the measuring cup part of our KitchenAid food processor. Now I just pour the oil in the top and let gravity do its thing. :-)

I actually drilled a small hole into the bottom of the measuring cup part of our KitchenAid food processor. Now I just pour the oil in the top and let gravity do its thing. :-)

That's a clever thing to do. My Cuisinart food processor doesn't have a measuring cup. My breville seems to do a great job though.

This is my favorite how-to video / recipe. Works perfect every time. I haven't had success trying to double the recipe, so if I need more, I make it in separate batches. And I use light olive oil instead of grapeseed oil.

Seriously?! I had no idea. I stood there with my Breville immersion blender going full speed and drizzling oil drop by drop, and after 5 minutes I was only 1/3 cup down. Not fun! I almost ruined the batch by over blending, I think, if that's even possible. But anyway, my inaugural mayo is now finished and safely in the fridge. That uses up a boatload of oil, though, doesn't it? Going to have to buy the bigger bottles now. And find new recipes for mayo. :)

I found large bottles (more like jugs) of bertolli light flavored olive oil at Sam's Club for about the same price as a bottle half that size at the grocery store (grocery store brand). Saves money and ensures that I have enough oil for several batches of mayo/ranch at a time.

I found large bottles (more like jugs) of bertolli light flavored olive oil at Sam's Club for about the same price as a bottle half that size at the grocery store (grocery store brand). Saves money and ensures that I have enough oil for several batches of mayo/ranch at a time.

Tasty, too. Things like this are the reason we have both a Costco & a Sam's Club membership.

I am new to the Whole30 lifestyle and made made mayo with the recipe from Well Fed in a vitamix and it worked perfectly. Nice and creamy, not to mention tasty! I turned some of it into creamy ranch using another recipe from Well Fed and that was amazing too!

That's a good idea. I have one. I was hoping I could use my old Braun immersion blender beaker, but the Breville is too big for it.

I did use the Breville blender with a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup and it worked perfectly. You probably figured this out already, but I'm doing a happy dance. :)

I did use the Breville blender with a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup and it worked perfectly. You probably figured this out already, but I'm doing a happy dance.

My measuring cups are the plastic ones that have the ledge in them so you can easily see the measurements. It seemed weird when I stuck the Breville in it so I went to plan B. I used a 4 cup mason type jar (the kind with the flip lid and rubber gasket) and it is perfect. I even stored the mayo in it. Totally doing the happy dance. :) I love my Breville.

Huh. Homemade mayo, eh? I'd totally given up mayo (and Ranch dressing) but clearly this was unnecessary. I have an immersion blender and a food processor. When I have some vacation time I'm gonna try this out. It's 5:30 a.m. and I want mayo just from reading this thread. Hmph.

Oh Amy. It is the best thing ever. Immersion blender is the way to go IMHO but both appliances work. I just love how you don't have to drizzle the oil with an immersion blender. You just dump it all in. :)

I just made my first batch! So easy my nine year old did most of it! A total chemistry lesson, too. I used ACV instead of lemon juice, but I think that I'll make a batch with lemon juice to use as straight up mayo, and use the ACV version as a base for dressings.

It's so freakin' easy and so cheap I can't believe it. It's blowing my mind that I've been paying so much for mayonnaise all these years.

Ok, I just made my first batch of mayo using the immersion blender. It was a life-changing experience! I had never had a batch come out right. THIS was phenomenal! I cannot believe how quickly it comes together. I used cider vinegar, light olive oil, and everything was fully at room temperature. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy just knowing that there's a jar of it in my fridge.

Archived