Mayo....GRRRREAT!!!

Susan W

yes and it totally started the white emulsion and then i slowly started to move it around and then poof, mayo soup :( I want to try again, maybe i will test it with cheap stuff until I know I can do it.

Don't move it, just pulse very briefly and wait for it to settle after each pulse. It's not until you absolutely cannot incorporate any more oil without moving the blender that you move it, just a little. It really doesn't take much. I am not a science person at all, but I think creating an emulsion is really different from mixing stuff together. Heh. Good luck!!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I broke my first mayo today!!! It was a double batch, everything was room temp & clean. I used the immersion blender (sunbeam--don't laugh!) it worked at first, then my toddler started grabbing my legs, so I tried to speed it up. And it broke! I tried another yolk, 1tsp ACV, threw everything in my food processor. It's still soup. :'( I put it in the fridge. Maybe it will work tomorrow.

Oh meg that is a bummer. I wish I knew why it happens when you are sure everything is right. Have you made a double batch before? That would scare me. The last time mine broke I threw it into my cuisinart and it came right together. That was after tossing 3 batches. Ugh.

I blame the toddler. I remember those people, they sit on your feet and yell at you. How can you get any mayo made? (Mine are nine now... but yeah I still remember those toddler years. Ha!)

My son (20 months) loves to help make mayo--I think I already mentioned it here in the thread--he just can't wait to taste it when it is all done and he kinda does a bobble-head impersonation when he tries it! :wub:

Susan--when I have had broken mayo **cries** I make dressing out of it without thinning it out, and it works well for me. I can hide the icky texture with yummy herbs and it makes me feel better about it. ;)

My son (20 months) loves to help make mayo--I think I already mentioned it here in the thread--he just can't wait to taste it when it is all done and he kinda does a bobble-head impersonation when he tries it! :wub:

Susan--when I have had broken mayo **cries** I make dressing out of it without thinning it out, and it works well for me. I can hide the icky texture with yummy herbs and it makes me feel better about it. ;)

That's too cute!!! :wub:

My son (20 months) loves to help make mayo--I think I already mentioned it here in the thread--he just can't wait to taste it when it is all done and he kinda does a bobble-head impersonation when he tries it!

Susan--when I have had broken mayo **cries** I make dressing out of it without thinning it out, and it works well for me. I can hide the icky texture with yummy herbs and it makes me feel better about it.

Spin, I should have tried that when it happened but I was too busy being 2 and throwing a fit. Now that I have my Breville, I shall never have broken mayo again (said in best Scarlett Ohara voice". :)

So, at this point, I do not have an immersion blender (crossing my fingers that there is one coming for Christmas!)... I do have a black and decker food processor. The problem is that the FP only goes warp speed and I am afraid that this is too fast for mayo. Has anyone experienced this?

All this talk about the mayo is really making me want some..... but I am scuuured to do it without the right equipment :ph34r:

Oh yes. You totally need this mayo. I am quite obsessed with the darn stuff. :) Make sure you let everything come to room temp.

She is...

I make my mayo in my food processor all the time but I plan on buying an immersion blender after the holidays, simply because it will be less of a hassle at clean up time. :)

ETA: My fp is a kitchen aide and it has 2 speeds and pulse.

Archived