Starting June 19th

Aurora Blue

Hi All, I've been planning my first Whole 30 for about a month now, my cupboards are cleared, meals planned and shopping done so I'm ready to smash this :D

I have IBS, allergies galore, arthritis and back issues and generally feel lethargic most of the time so I'm super excited to see what this can do for me.

if anyone else is starting around the same time it would be great to hear how you are doing!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! 

I'm so glad to have found a group of people who are starting on the 19th. This is my second Whole 30. I've had some issues in the past where I thought I had a gluten intolerance but it turns out I had endometriosis, my ovary had attached itself to my bowels, and IBS. I went a little wild with the carbs and realized I was feeling so sluggish. 

I'm looking forward to this journey. 

It's so great to hear from you all! I've had a prep day today as well, I've got enough for the next 3 days and it's helped me relax a bit. I've made Spanish frittata, salmon cakes, sweet potato and apple bake and dump ranch sauce. I have mayo and clarified butter that I made on Friday and I'm also going to cook some chicken in the slow cooker tomorrow. Why have you all got prepared?

2 hours ago, Aurora Blue said:

It's so great to hear from you all! I've had a prep day today as well, I've got enough for the next 3 days and it's helped me relax a bit. I've made Spanish frittata, salmon cakes, sweet potato and apple bake and dump ranch sauce. I have mayo and clarified butter that I made on Friday and I'm also going to cook some chicken in the slow cooker tomorrow. Why have you all got prepared?

Hey There! I am looking forward to making crock pot carne asada. My husband and I will eat it in a variety of ways. I think tomorrow I'll just eat it by itself with a nice big salad. Then the following day I'll use it to stuff a baked potato. My go to lunch is a potato hash with bell peppers, jalapeños, and Penderson Farm sausage. I plan on doing some chicken as well.. Looking forward to actually sitting down and eating a great big breakfast. I love Penderson Farm products since most of them are W30 compliant. I've stocked my fridge with my favorite LA Croix. Aurora Blue, your menu sounds so YUMMY!

Lots of soft boiled eggs, homemade mayo, cooked some plain chicken so I can use it in multiple dishes this week, meatballs without any kind of flour, even almond; I have found that eggs make them stick together just fine. Mashed yams with avocado oil, chopped a ton of veggies. I still need to buy some avocados and want to make some baba ganoush to dip said veggies in. Kombucha (without added sugar after fermentation) is my go to drink, along with black coffee, soda water, and tea. There's a "paleo-friendly" food truck in my town that takes homemade bone broth an mixes it with coconut cream (not milk) and spices. It's amazing and I'm trying to replicate it. 

Aurora-what's "dump ranch sauce"?

Hey Aurora,

My husband and I are starting tomorrow also. Didn't do quite as much prepping as everyone here however got rid of the snacks.

Will eat wise tomorrow and then cook for the week. Looking forward to staying connected for support! Thanks for initiating this post!

Congratulations to ALL of you.... I started on June 1st and am so happy with the results so far.   I'm waking up before the alarm most days....I  feel much more confident and honestly...haven't  missed the sweets or junk foods at ALL!  A client brought me cookies and I gave them away immediately without any reservation or temptation at all.    

Kudos on all the prep and I hope you ALL have a successful Whole30.

I am starting tomorrow too. I have been trying to get back on this program for a while and I have had a bunch of failed starts. I have a lot of environmental and food allergies. I have to stay away garlic, onions, most peppers, & cooked tomatoes as well this round. I can do a very limited amount of citrus. I am going to try my hand at home made mayo which should be interesting without the garlic. I have some ghee already made but I will need to make some more soon. I do have some meats and veggies prepared as well. Tomorrow morning I have going to roast some turkey as well. If you haven't signed up for the daily email I would recommend it. It is fantastic to have that in your email every morning. I am hypoglycemic and the last one I did I did have to eat more meals that the 3. I am hoping that I can get myself to the 3 meals a day.

My goals for this round are very simple

1. Stay compliant

2. Do some type of exercise & stretching 6 days a week

3. Keep doing food prep and cleaning my kitchen after.

There are 2 other feeds, one started the 17th, and I have asked them to join this one. I think it would be great to combine the groups and support each other. Hopefully they will join us. 

Here's to Day 1!  

I made a breakfast casserole yesterday with compliant sausage, spinach, sweet potatoes, and eggs which will help with breakfast the next few days.  My family can hardly believe how AMAZING whole 30 food tastes!  The casserole is seriously one of the best things I've had (ever).   Also, (  have ingredients ready to make chicken and zucchini poppers today as well as I got rid of a bunch of our junk snacks yesterday.  Planning to head to Trader Joe's today or tomorrow to add to my whole 30 food supply!  

Any of you nighttime snackers?  That is one of my biggest problems.  I'm trying to think of other things to do in place of watching TV and snacking which has become my nightly routine I'm afraid.  

Best of luck on Day 1!

Good morning, 

"First-timer" here!   Actually Day 1 for me and my husband was yesterday June 18.    So far, so good.   Did a lot of prep work ahead of time.  We did have a small ceremony as we 'moved out' all the cheese.   Looks like we may need a good sense of humor as we go through this.  Excited but nervous.

Day 1: 

Breakfast: two hard boiled eggs with some mayo (I'm not a big breakfast person) and some black coffee

Lunch: huge salad with some meatballs and avocado

Dinner: ?? Not sure yet, but have plenty of food ready to go at home.

I hope everyone has a great Day 1!

My wife and I are starting today along with several people from where I work.  We threw everything away in the house last night and made the chicken salad in the Whole 30 book.  The book talks about the first day being pretty easy and then the hardest days being 2 through about 5 or 6.  So I'm gearing up for this week.  Tonight we're having pork chops with sweet potatoes and a salad.  Glad to hear of so many people starting this week.  Good luck to everyone!

My husband and I started today, I see many people have precooked food for the whole week. I guess I have some catching up to do. I just finished reading It starts with food and I'm getting around reading The Whole 30 so I am really just cooking with the basics of do's and don'ts we know so far from the book. It all sounds very delicious though. Looking forward to become a pro like you guys with all those yummy sounding recipes. Good luck everyone!

I started today and not too bad. I had 3 hard boiled eggs and black coffee for breakfast and then whole30 compliant chili recipe I found from nomnompaleo.com which is a wonderful resource btw for whole30 approved recipes, esp. using an instant pot.  Anyway, I started getting hungry for a snack around 3pm and I won't be home for dinner till 6 so I started looking at the whole30 website to stay motivated and came across this forum.  I think I'll need to pack snacks for work going forward, or increase the portion sizes as snacking is discouraged... 

How did everyone's day 1 go? Mine went well, all the prepping helped as I just had to take my meals out of the fridge and eat. I did feel a little hungry at times but managed to make it through. I've also noticed already how much I snack, usually on good stuff but I know any kind of snacking is discouraged unless you make it a mini meal.

All of your menus sound amazing and have given me lots of ideas. I need a few of your recipes, MissTraci how do you make your breakfast casserole and lilakay, the same for your carne asada?

Looking forward to day 2 although I don't think it's going to be as easy as today!

Hope you've all had a great day :D

I've been taking photos of my meals because they are legit and it helps me remember what I ate and if I'd want to eat it again! 

Leftover flank steak lettuce wraps with shredded carrot and sesame seeds for lunch and a pork carnitas (in slow cooker) bowl with cauliflower rice and tons of tasty toppings for dinner.  Yummmmm.  

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

I'm excited for Day 2!  Just had my 3 eggs scrambled in ghee with green peppers and salsa. What is on everyone's meal plan for today?

Melissa, those meals look amazing!  Pork carnitas are definitely on my list to try.  

We made the "One Day Breakfast" in a 12" cast iron skillet.  Super easy and very tasty -- a keeper.  Plan to prep the vegetables the night before to help speed up the process in the morning.  We signed up $ for the Meal Plan and really like it.  After choosing your meals/recipes you have a ready made grocery list and timeline. 

Struggled with a nasty headache yesterday -- not sure if it was a decrease in caffeine, low salt, low suger??.  Reminded myself 'it's a good thing' since my body is going through the adjustments. We're mentally and emotionally preparing for the 'mean days' ahead this week.  My hubs sweetly suggested that I had my 'mean' day yesterday.   

Day # 1 is in the books! I had 3 scrambled eggs with some sautéed veggies, avocado and  with Penderson Farm bacon. I'm not a big breakfast eater so for me this is breaking me out of my mold. 

Dinner last night was delicious! I had my crockpot carne asada and topped it on some "french fries" that I baked. The limes and oranges added that nice citrus kick while the jalapeños quickly followed with a punch.I didn't have a chance to make my own salsa but someone told me the Mexican hot sauce, cholula, is W30 compliant, so I topped it with that.  It was really really good. I'm glad I have left overs because I'll put that with a nice big ole salad. 

Melissa, your pictures look amazing! SO proud of everyone's hard work!!! :) We have 1 day down! 

Onto Day #2. - The biggest thing I learned from my first w30 experience was to take some sort of probiotic. Without coming off as super super gross, you can get pretty clogged. It helps me with regulation. 

• Moderators
18 hours ago, sojurabbit said:

I started today and not too bad. I had 3 hard boiled eggs and black coffee for breakfast and then whole30 compliant chili recipe I found from nomnompaleo.com which is a wonderful resource btw for whole30 approved recipes, esp. using an instant pot.  Anyway, I started getting hungry for a snack around 3pm and I won't be home for dinner till 6 so I started looking at the whole30 website to stay motivated and came across this forum.  I think I'll need to pack snacks for work going forward, or increase the portion sizes as snacking is discouraged... 

Definitely make your meals match the meal template to help you stay satisfied longer between them. When you get them right, you'll easily go 4-5 hours between meals, which for most people means they don't need to snack. If you are hungry between meals, have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

5 minutes ago, lilakay said:

someone told me the Mexican hot sauce, cholula, is W30 compliant,

I think in this case they were correct, but don't depend on people telling you something is compliant, even if you read it here on the forum -- read your labels, every time, even for things you've bought before, because manufacturers can change their recipes over time, or even have different recipes in different parts of the country. 

Archived