Starting June 19th

Aurora Blue

Woohoo!! Day 1 down! I was actually a little nervous, my husband and I love wine and we tend to snack at night as someone else mentioned. We came out unscathed! 

Lots of eggs ( which I don't mind, love chicken and eggs, probably a fox in my former life), also grilled salmon and veggies with a nice balsamic vinaigrette for dinner.

Doing spaghetti squash with sauce and turkey meatballs tonight.  

Good luck everyone! Have a great day 2!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done on day 1 everyone!

Day 2 I woke up with a headache as well and feel soooo tired today, almost fell asleep at work a couple of time and that is not like me, I think it must be caffeine withdrawal as I drink a lot and have decided to give that up as well.

Breakfast was Spanish frittata again which I struggled to eat with half a banana and some cashews. I was so hungry by about 11am that I had to have a little snack of nuts and an apple. Lunch was salmon fish cakes with veg and sweet potato and apple bake and dinner is lettuce pockets with chicken thighs, prosciutto, peppers and mayo, it's so pretty and absolutely delicious, my fav so far.

IMG_3225.JPG

Aurora your lettuce wraps look divine!  I love just tossing leftovers on a big bed of greens for lunch.  I had an iced plain decaf this morning and could really taste the coffee, you know? I didn't feel like I was missing out at all.  

I scored and found a produce markdown section with $1 bags of pre-cut butternut squash!  Perfect roasted with cinnamon for breakfast.  

I'm also really enjoying not snacking between meals or after dinner - just once I'm done with a meal, I'm done.  It's strangely difficult to throw my kid's leftovers away and not just eat off their plates, though. 

They were delicious Melissa, I'm having them for dinner tomorrow as well.

I've never thought of doing butternut squash with cinnamon, I'll have to try it. And well done on your bargain!

I know what you mean about the kids leftovers, I've realised how much I pick , also nearly licked my boys yogurt lid today, gonna have to really pay attention not to slip up.

21 minutes ago, Aurora Blue said:

I know what you mean about the kids leftovers, I've realised how much I pick , also nearly licked my boys yogurt lid today, gonna have to really pay attention not to slip up.

Yes!  I very nearly licked the peanut butter and jelly off the knife and ate a pretzel absentmindedly.  

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I started yesterday, as well.  We completed our first W30 about 3 years ago, with great success, but have not been able to stay compliant with other tries.  Yesterday was the day!  And we are determined!  Glad to find this group for support!  Since this isn't my first, please feel free to ask questions, and I'll be glad to help, if I can!  Happy Tuesday!

Thanks for the timeline Garyandme!  Today was definitely more of a struggle than yesterday.  I attempted to workout and just found I did not have the energy for it.  Can't wait to crash in bed after chasing my kids around all day.  :P

I second that on your lettuce wraps, Aurora, they look amazing!  

I made a big skillet of sweet potato hash tonight (recipe from It Starts with Food), and was pleasantly surprised that my whole family loved it!  It was so good.  Since they aren't joining in my whole 30 fun ;) I figure they can at least eat a Whole 30 dinner every night with me!  

Hi, I started the 19th as well. Lots of eggs, sweet potatoes, and made some eggs with veggies  in a muffin pan. I've found myself to be snacking quite a bit though on all compliant things but up until now have been pretty hungry. Maybe tomorrow it will get better. Is everyone doing just three meals? 

I've managed to avoid snacking, so far.  That's a big part of the appeal for me.  I've also been satisfied from my meals and haven't actually been hungry.  I'm eating pretty large amounts at each meal - protein portion, tons of veg, and some fat as the template recommends, and that has been very helpful.  It also takes me soooo long to eat my meals.  My lunch salad was enormous! 

I felt like snacking in the afternoon, but realized I wasn't hungry.  I had some water and started doing something else and the feeling faded.  

Hi Nshansen5,       

It's possible you're not eating enough in your meals. I typically snack late afternoon into the evening, but so far haven't really felt a need. I mean I could go for a brownie right now but  I'm not hungry and know I'd just be eating it for comfort. Mind over matter, you'll be OK!

Jonathan, my husband and I drink wine every night, he asked me tonight if I could remember the last time I  didn't have wine in the evening, I couldn't. That's what I worry about also, I LOVE WINE! It's been 2 days and it feels good. Stick with us for support!

Hey all, I started on the 9th but there is more activity in this thread :)  @Another Melissa, any secrets for preparing the riced cauliflower?  I have a bag and debating on how to make it more interesting.  @Jonathan Ferrantelli, you can do it, including the drinking!  I had to quit drinking before starting the Whole 30 as it as causing me other problems - the good news is there is TONS of support out there for alcohol.  Good work and good luck everybody!

Hey Everyone! I was farting around on the good 'ol internet and found this feed. My lovely lady Erin and I (Name's Nate) just started our first Whole 30 on the 19th! I bought the book and did some good reading, and Erin has read up online. I think we have the just of it, but we needed to jump right in. I cannot BELIEVE how bare my pantry and fridge are after dumping all the junk! It feels good, but a little intimidating. We have been doing some shopping, and the last two days have gone well so far. Erin is a pescatarian  and I am an avid meat eater, so we are working together on some shared and other not meals.  We both worked outdoors previously and are now indoors for work and have found ourselves "Fat and Happy." Except not super happy about our health and energy levels! Personally, I am really working to get better sleep, less anxiety, and overall better health. Power start the self-discipline muscle! I am with @Jonathan Ferrantelli on the drinking, it has been a crutch for me for the past while for anxiety, relaxation, and sleep. Current goals are to stick in the rules, and work toward 3 full meals at decent times, as I tend to graze all day, and eat the most later at night. Anyway, happy to find some other folks to check in with over the next month, thrilled that everyone is here looking to put forward a positive foot and practice some self care, cheers!

23 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Definitely make your meals match the meal template to help you stay satisfied longer between them. When you get them right, you'll easily go 4-5 hours between meals, which for most people means they don't need to snack. If you are hungry between meals, have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

I think in this case they were correct, but don't depend on people telling you something is compliant, even if you read it here on the forum -- read your labels, every time, even for things you've bought before, because manufacturers can change their recipes over time, or even have different recipes in different parts of the country. 

Shannon, you are absolutely correct! Thank you for your sage advice! I made sure to read the labels... Because I am finding out that even it is pinned "W30" it sometimes, really most of the times, is not. You just need to modify it! Thanks again! :) 

Day # 2- Another successful day in the books. Had a typical breakfast of scrambled eggs and veggies and w30 compliant bacon. Lunch was actually pretty yummy with a HUGE salad, turkey, and a side of fruit. I didn't realize how much I relied on sugar.  The fruit I had hit the spot and was absolutely what I needed. Its been only 2 days and I can see the morbid relationship I had with food. 

For dinner, my hubby and I used the leftover carne aside and did a stuffed potato. However, my sweet, endearing, and supportive husband LOADED and I mean LOADED his spud with the most ooeyiest and gooeyiest of cheeses. Really? ... If looks could kill,  I'm pretty sure y'all would have seen me on the next season of "Orange is the New Black". It was so hard  not to top my spud but I was able to successfully get through it. 

Starting Day # 3- Typical breakfast, typical lunch. I'll probably do a taco salad for dinner tonight. It's either that or a sausage and peppers hash. My biggest worry is we are going out with my husband's family for lunch on Saturday. I have no idea where we are going and am already freaking out a little bit in my mind. I can do W30 if I become a hermit and don't go anywhere.... but this is will be tough... 

@Jonathan Ferrantelli I am right there with you... I turned down a pool party because I knew its too early and I think I would be tempted. Yesterday was somewhat stressful and I REALLLY wanted some wine or a cold one... I'm hoping to learn how to curb my need for a 'drink to get through it' and maybe find another venue like exercise. 

@Another Melissa could you share your cauliflower rice recipe? 

So glad everyone is still successful! Onto Day # 3. 

So I thought I did a LOT of prep this past weekend, but I'm finding myself constantly stressed/worried that I'll run out of compliant food!  On Saturday, day 0, I made a ground bison meat chili, roasted up spaghetti squash and roasted up a huge pan of brussels sprouts, hard boiled a dozen eggs and thought I'd be set.   That is all I've eaten for 2 whole days, 3 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, chili w/ squash for lunch, same for dinner, with a side of brussels sprouts.  I am repeating for day 3 today, but will probably be out of chili tomorrow.  I read about how important food prep is for success and I'm constantly thinking about it.   Which is a biggest problem for me because of a very busy work schedule, which is probably why I'm so stressed. 

My husband was supposed to start with me on Monday but chickened out since he has a huge work deadline this week and cannot give up alcohol, but more on alcohol in a minute.  I am realizing that had he started this with me I would have been out of food in 2 days, and needing to cook massive loads again.  And running to the store more than I can usually fit into my schedule (weekend costco run).  But now that I am preparing food for 3 different palettes in the household, my 3 year old, non-complying husband, and for my strict whole 30 requirement, I'm finding this is going to take WAY more thought and brain space, energy, and planning to execute on a nightly basis....

Ditto the previous comments on alcohol. Wine was the main reason I put off whole 30 for as long as I have since I heard about it.  I do miss my nightly 2 glasses but not as much as I thought I would ( granted, I thought I might *die* without it).  But i'm more stressed about running out of food,  and when I need to cook up the next batch, and how long the food I have will last me... repeatedly which is hilarious bc it is only day 3 and my fridge is stocked. I went to Sprouts on Saturday and again to TJ's last night. so so far my grocery bill has hit $400 in under a week, and I'm STILL worried about compliant food insecurity (wtf!?!) I'm a planner by nature, so i think I'm going a little overboard. And likely will burn out from all the energy and ($$$) I'm spending on food (thinking, cooking, cleaning, food shopping) and not on work, and other responsibilities around the house. 

So, I'm going to adjust my thinking on this, for a few days put away the whole 30 cookbook, and stop looking at so many glorious compliant recipes online, all of which are like elaborate meals and dishes.  And  maybe just stick to simple foods that don't require much prep for a bit and  just recalibrate my expectations a bit to make this more manageable going forward. 

LOL, feeding my toddler I ALWAYS picked off his plate before cleaning.  I felt weird about throwing out whole chunks of avocado just bc it had some ranch sauce on it!  So I had a bite, and licked the yogurt I was feeding him off my finger this morning.   I'm not going to start over at Day 1, but I do realize I need to be more careful going forward. 

In the middle of Day 3 over here... according to the whole 30 timeline I know Day 4 & 5 are "kill all things", however, I feel like that is my day 3 today.. "kill all things."  I'm SO irritable.   

Anyone else getting the emails sent to them with info on each day that coincides with the days you are on?  I'm loving it so far.. so helpful.  They did say Day 3 is the hardest!  I think if we make it through day 3 it is a HUGE accomplishment!  

I'm making this Whole 30 taco meat tonight.. http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/2013/12/07/easy-slow-cooker-taco-meat/.

@lilakay.. your stuffed potato sounds amazing.  Good for you for sticking to your guns and forgoing the cheese!  My husband has been "flavoring" his whole 30 dinners I make with cheese too and trust me, the looks could kill over here too. :angry:

Headache today, totally tired. Snacking less today than the past two days so that's good, I'm very used to 6-8 meals a day and weighing myself twice a day... ( that's why I'm doing this) so I'm fighting the urge to jump on the scale..  I got in an hour of kickboxing this morning and am now totally drained. Started the morning with eggs with spinach and tomatoes and a side of aidells chicken sausage mixed with sweet potato, onion, and apples. It was delish! I had a banana with a little bit of almond butter after the workout and a spinach/tuna salad for lunch with cilantro and lime. i think I'm on the right track but I do love snacks..

13 hours ago, Ljoatl said:

Hi Nshansen5,       

It's possible you're not eating enough in your meals. I typically snack late afternoon into the evening, but so far haven't really felt a need. I mean I could go for a brownie right now but  I'm not hungry and know I'd just be eating it for comfort. Mind over matter, you'll be OK!

Jonathan, my husband and I drink wine every night, he asked me tonight if I could remember the last time I  didn't have wine in the evening, I couldn't. That's what I worry about also, I LOVE WINE! It's been 2 days and it feels good. Stick with us for support!

Thank you! Mind over matter for sure. I also love wine. Lol, so today I upped my portions and I'm feeling more satisfied for sure. A tad on the irritable side by super excited to accomplish this! Thanks for the feedback:)

• Moderators

@sojurabbit you definitely don't have to follow a lot of fancy recipes. Maybe pick one or two a week if you have time, but otherwise keep it simple. On a day off, grill or bake a bunch of chicken. Brown a pound or two of ground beef. Make up a big breakfast casserole (http://paleomg.com/easy-breakfast-casserole/). Wash and chop vegetables so all you have to do at meal time is cook them. As much as you can, make your meals and their meals overlap. So serve protein and veggies you can eat, let them have rice or bread or cheese. See if you can get the toddler to eat compliant ranch dressing instead of your usual brand, so you can eat off their plate if the food waste bothers you. 

@Jim4884 and @lilakay - I buy the bags of frozen organic rice cauliflower from Trader Joe's.  Instead of microwaving it I saute it in a skillet with coconut oil, avocado oil, or ghee.  Add come curry or whatever you like.  I like to get it a little brown and toasty!

I've made riced cauliflower in the more traditional way - food processor and steaming it.  It's a mess, time consuming, and makes the whole house smell like a fart. :wacko: Soooooo, buying it pre-riced works for me.  

I've been eating these sausages every morning this week and LOVE them.  I used ground turkey instead of chicken becuase that's what I had and apples instead of fennel.  2 big patties every morning with 2 eggs and a plate full of butternut squash and carrots roasted with coconut oil keeps me satisfied until lunch.  http://littlebitsof.com/2017/02/caramelized-fennel-date-chicken-sausage/

1 hour ago, sojurabbit said:

Thanks ShannonM816!    Very sensible strategies for going forward!

Hey sojurabbit, ShannonM816 is definitely on the money! Simplify! She posted the meal template earlier and here it is again.

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf. As long as your meals consist of a protein, veggies, some approved fat, with fruits and approved snacks mixed in here and there you're good. The no snack thing is so your body gets accustomed to 3 meals without needing/wanting snacks but if you need them now certainly in the beginning have them. Better that than fall off completely .

I didn't prep nearly as much as everyone else however started with breakfast OK then went to farmers market and loaded up on produce, chicken, ground turkey, shrimp and salmon. Roasted chicken and had it on salads and in omelettes.  Made meatballs with the turkey ( which were quite savory) had it with dinner and lunch. Same with salmon and shrimp. The meals are interchangeable so you can eat chicken at breakfast if you want. Whatever works.

Exhale! You can do this!

PS Definitely feeling the irritability factor today! 

Archived