Starting June 19th

Aurora Blue

12 hours ago, Another Melissa said:

Day 5 is much better than 4.  I was really craving some fresh fruit tonight after being out in the heat and had some frozen mixed berries and they tasted amazing!! 

I like the nutpods in iced coffee, but not so much in hot coffee.  My favorite is the vanilla and I ordered it on Amazon. 

I made the BBQ sauce from the cookbook and it's...ok.  

Very hungry tonight and trying to just make it to bed! 

I made that BBQ sauce too... meh. I think they also recommend one called tessamaes? I'm going to check that one out at some point!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5! So far so good. I made a huge crockpot of chicken yesterday with cumin, chili powder, garlic, onion powder, etc. and shredded it all so I can mix it up and put it with lettuce, eggs or whatever. Much easier than trying to master some of those recipes when in a hurry!  I made the guacamole and the salsa to add to everything and it's delish!  My gym workouts have been a little tough but hoping for that energy spike in week two, right;)

Day # 4 was fine. I'm waking up on my own a LOT earlier than I want to. I'm a teacher who is on Summer "break" but what I'm realizing is that I and trying to sleep in until 9. I know, sleeping in until 9? But, I'm used to getting up at 5am, so I consider sleeping in a rarity.  However, I am waking up refreshed and feel that I had a full night's sleep rather than waking up and snoozing for a bit. I'm jumping out of bed ready to go. 

Had my typical breakfast of eggs, veggies, and bacon. Lunch was leftover  hash and fruit. Dinner we had ground turkey taco salad. It was hard not putting my favorite salsa on top. But after reading the label, it had ..dun dun dun... sugar. I might just break down and make my own. Today was my first day not to snack... I'm pretty proud of myself since I'm a self named grazer. I can graze with the best of them. 

@EJSmadhatter- I love the comment “this too shall pass” haha. Last night, I completely had that same mantra. I went to bed earlier than I wanted because I just wanted to be done with the day. 

@misskitty- wow! you are a rockstar!! weight lifting? I'm super impressed. 

@Aurora Blue- I have IBSD and am so in awe and a tad bit jealous of your will power when it comes to coffee. I know I'm not suppose to have coffee but like they said in Brokeback Mountain, "I can't quit you!".  I've gone from 3 cups in the morning to 1... Can we call that a win? 

Day # 5 has started. Getting tired of eggs and bacon and have been researching new recipes for breakfast. Lunch will most likely be a salad, turkey, and fruit. I'm a day short on dinner meals. It's back to the grocery store for a meal.. Looking ahead for the next week and I've found some great ideas like hawaiian chicken skewers that look pretty yummy. I think I'll have the hubby grill some extra turkey burger patties and I can have that for my lunch with compliant ketchup. still deciding... 

It's been a little frustrating running out of things. But, I'm committing to this and glad to know that we are 1/4 of the way completed!!! 

8 hours ago, Aurora Blue said:

http://forum.whole30.com/profile/39884-ejsmadhatter/ I have IBS so am also off lots of additional things like garlic, broccoli, cauli, sprouts, mushrooms and coffee!!! It really hard to find a variety of veg to eat but I may start reintroducing these thing once I'm feeling better. On the plus side I was really relying on coffee to prop me up in the day so it's kinda nice to be off that even though I miss the taste so much!

any recipes lets share. I need to find variations.

Here is the link to tessemae's https://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved. They have a lot of great stuff and if you sign up for their email they send you recipes using their products. @lilakay making your own salsa is the bomb. I have even added some fruit to it as well or just made a fruit one to top off fish or chicken.  Once you make it you will not want to go back.

Holy crap!  I wanted to share some incredible results here.  My company has been offering free health screenings on-site this week, and I had mine this morning.  On Day15 (plus I was "mostly" compliant for a couple of week prior), I see the following:

Blood pressure - was 130/90 WITH medication; is 110/74 WITHOUT medication

Triglycerides - were over 160 (moderate risk); are 101 (well within desirable range)

Glucose - was 120 (pre-diabetic, nearly high risk); is 86 (healthy range)

I wouldn't let them tell me my weight but I'll bet it's down 20 lbs, I can see a dramatic difference in the mirror.  

I still need to improve my cholesterol, and probably BMI, but talk about motivation to continue!  I think you can say I'm sold on the benefits of the Whole30!

Wow! @Jim4884 those are some awesome results!  

@lilakay I'm also waking up earlier.. not sure what that's about!

Yesterday was an underwhelming day of whole30 food for sure.  I made chili inside a baked sweet potato "boat" for dinner and kind of hated it.  The sweet potato was SO sweet and everything together was just not good.  Anyone else get bummed when their hard work for a whole 30 meal just doesn't come out how you wish it would?! :(  

This morning was 3 eggs with ghee, peppers and avocado.  Lunch was a big salad with tuna and veggies.  

I definitely need to get my butt to the store as I'm running out of my favorites.  

57 minutes ago, Jim4884 said:

Holy crap!  I wanted to share some incredible results here.  My company has been offering free health screenings on-site this week, and I had mine this morning.  On Day15 (plus I was "mostly" compliant for a couple of week prior), I see the following:

Triglycerides - were over 160 (moderate risk); are 101 (well within desirable range)

I wouldn't let them tell me my weight but I'll bet it's down 20 lbs, I can see a dramatic difference in the mirror.  

I still need to improve my cholesterol, and probably BMI, but talk about motivation to continue!  I think you can say I'm sold on the benefits of the Whole30!

Very cool! Thank you!

@Jim4884 That is awesome, thanks for sharing! Certainly helps with my first weekend coming up today. Eye on the prize baby!

@lilakay Thanks! I grabbed both of those, and they work great for boats and rolls. Awesome, way better than red leaf that I had tried to use. 

@MissTraci I hear you on the food boredom, I have been trying to be creative with meals. One of my favorite morning meals so far is a baked sweet potato (there are different varieties that have variable flavor and sweetness). I cut it in half, and rub a little oil and bake @ 425 for about 30 min. Then in the morning, I warm up half, and cook 2-3 eggs with sliced spinach strips. I add some ground beef, turkey, whatever, and mix it with the potato, and top with some compliant guac and hot sauce. I really like it, plus you can change the type of meat and potato and greens. Pics below, my little dog really like the smell of this meal also!

I have been buying a bunch of available approved prepared products, and the Tessamae's have been wonderful, great family company. Lot's of great marinade and dressing, and picked up the BBQ sauce also, yet to try it. I also really enjoy the Primal Kitchen Mayo (chipolte lime yeah!) and dressings.  Trader Joe's has a bunch of GREAT pre-sliced, cubed, riced ect veggie options, and their Ghee is tasty and well priced. Looking to order some Nutpods creamer, let me know if y'all enjoy it.

Anyone struggling with getting enough water? I notice my lips have been dry, and I am not urinating as much. They say half your weight in ounces, which is 110 for me. Trying hard to get that much in a day, have not yet. (A friend teased that I've been seen to drink that much beer in an evening however!)

I work in Real Estate, and was showing some folks a home yesterday. They asked me out for a late lunch and beers at a local yummy brewery/restaurant. I declined and let them know about my Whole 30. They said they had tried it but didn't make it past day 4. Well here I am at Day 5, whoop whoop, holding strong!

Not sure what we will be doing this weekend, not ready to trust myself with a float on the river or brewery visit. I think it will be time for hiking and food prep/planning. Would love to check out the bone broth soon, sounds great. We are thinking of going to a movie, but I LOVE buttery popcorn. I have really been missing something crunchy in my diet. Anyone have recommendations outside of Carrots?

Day 4 was my best so far, but I got sassy in the evening, and this morning had major 'tude. Wearing off after a good meal and some sunshine however. Really excited to make it through my first week, I have not weighed or anything, but I definitely feel less bloated and my belly is less rotund, at least my brain tells me so! Ready to make some real goals to integrate some fitness and mindfulness into next week. My biggest goal will be regular meal times, and no food later in the evening. 

Anyone else have some wins to report for their first 5 day week? Plans for the weekend to stay on track? New goals for the next week to improve? Congrats to everyone in this group who has made it this far, really happy to have found such a positive supportive community!

20170623_151803.jpg

20170622_111645.jpg

3 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

That's FREAKING AWESOME!!! 

Day 6 is much better for me.  More energy for sure.  I haven't felt super hungry today and have made it easily with no snacking and no samples at Costco! 

I made sweet potato toast for breakfast and it was awesome!  Just cut sweet potato slices evenly and toast them in your toaster - mine took 3 full cycles on the highest setting.  I put an egg on 2, avocado mash on another, and almond butter and coconut on the last.  Delish!

Chicken curry with cauliflower rice and crash potatoes for dinner and I'm stuffed! 

IMG_0911.JPG

@Jim4884 that is amazing, well done!! Really pleased for you :)

@Another Melissa your sweet potato toast looks yummy, I'm going to try this. I was just wondering if it made any mess in your toaster?

@lilakay you can definitely call that a win but honestly I'm not even missing coffee or tea, it's so weird! I think I've just not let myself think about what I can't have at all and just concentrated on what I can have.

@EJSmadhatter I'm just keeping things simple and if a recipe call for garlic or onions I just don't use them. I'm also using my slow cooker most days so I have dinner when I get home and leftovers for the fridge or freezer. Best things so far have been pulled pork and chicken thighs in slow cooker and sausage hash done in oven, so really simple stuff. Also the sweet potato and apple breakfast bake is the best, I did a triple batch and froze it and it has come out delicious from the freezer, http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/sweet-potato-apple-breakfast-bake-paleo-whole30/. What has been your best recipes so far?

So woke up ready to smash Day 6 to find that we have no water! Big burst water main down the road so having leftover dinner from last night for breakfast, bit strange but ok. Gonna get some leftovers out of the freezer for the rest of the day just in case, so no cooking for me today :D

Hope you all have a great day!

@AlpineViking thanks for the tips on the sweet potatoes.. I will for sure try diff varieties as well!  Where did you purchase your primal kitchen mayo? I bought mine through Amazon and it was kind of pricey.  Wondering if there is a better place to buy it?

@Aurora Blue I will be making that sweet potato apple bake this week! Looks amazing.. thanks for sharing!!

@Another Melissa oooh!! Great idea with the sweet potato toast! Will give that a go too!

My family and I were invited to a house warming BBQ tonight.  I have to admit I'm nervous about the food.  Normally I'd skip it but this man coaches football with my husband and I would feel terrible not going. .  I plan to being a salad and fruit that I can have though.  Anyone have any tips for this? 

Have a great weekend!

Yesterday was the longest day EVER!  I actually thought the clock batteries had died.  Some strange time-warp happened at my house.  I resisted the snacking, etc but it was never-ending.  Both hubby and my youngest came home early from work (mixing up my sense of time, I guess) and hit the food hard!  I watched, and wanted, and smelled so many "fun" things that I couldn't have.  Fizzy water in my new pink-bubble wine glass wasn't doing the trick last night. It was torture.  :blink:  Day over - whew.  Today HAS to be easier - lord it can't feel any longer than yesterday!  And P.S. I woke up so HAPPY that I held strong - this HAPPY outweighs the "torture" every time.  

I have a circuit workout class with some cardio intervals this morning.  I'm curious to see how that feels today.  This morning my energy seems better ... here's hoping!

We're having a family grill-out tonight.  Burgers with the usual suspects.  Easy for me to work around I love grilled burgers.  I need to hit the grocery store and do some more cooking soon.  My freezer has a bunch of W30 stuff I made before I was on the W30 (I love the recipes), but I'd like to save them for "emergency" times.  I'm also prepping for a picnic tomorrow (after we hike).  Lazy Devils from Nom Nom Paleo - incredible!  Basically hard boiled eggs with stuff on top.  I make them when I entertain and they are always the first to go.  A bit messy to picnic pack, but worth it!

@Aurora Blue  I hope your water is fixed soon.  That's a huge bummer.  Good on you for being so prepared with your freezer stash!

Have a good day 6!

Everybody holding strong??    We can do this!   

Wow... nice surprise this morning and reinforcement for following W30.   I have been watching my Blood Pressure slowly creep up this last year -- early morning --> 133/79, 134/82.     I was especially concerned about the increase in the  diastolic number.     This morning...  103/63 !   WHOOP! 

The food/recipes so far have all been super tasty.  Seems the secret is to prep, prep, prep food ahead.   Sure helps when feeling tired and cranky. 

Have a wonderful day!  

@AlpineViking I have trouble with enough water myself. Lately, I’ve put half the amount of water I’m suppose to drink in the fridge. After I finish a bottle of water, I grab a LA Croix. I really enjoy the Passionfruit one. Some peeps do not like La Croix, but if you like bubbles in your water, then its really good. I also have to make little goals for myself, like “no coffee until you finish 32oz of water". I LOOOVE coffee... so that seems to help. 

@Another Melissa your food always looks so darn good! I hope you have started a blog. Not only do you make mouth-watering food but your pictures truly say a thousand words and make me want to try and whip up what you have created. Such talent! (You might have already said you are doing this... and if so, I apologize. No coffee yet. ) 

@Aurora Blue Oh nO! I’m so sorry that happened to you. Hope it gets fixed soon

@MissTraciI feel your pain. I have plans with my brother in law and his family tonight for dinner and I am sweating it. I’ve already turned down a pool party so I wont be tempted to drink. Luckily, its raining now, so that could be a blessing in  a disguise. I found these articles to be somewhat helpful:

http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/whole30-restaurant-survival-guide/

http://thewholecook.com/2016/01/09/eating-out-on-whole-30/

Day # 5 is done and in the books! Woke up without any neck and shoulder pain. This is the first time that has happened in months. I did a little happy dance.. Although, I felt a little cranky and irritated yesterday.I'm not sure why...  May be it was food envy? I don't know. Had my typical breakfast, lunch was left over ground turkey taco meat , salad and some fruit and then fajitas. Kinda stunk when the husband had the hulk of all burritos packed stuffed with sinfully delicious ingredients that should not be named because my mouth is salivating as I type this. bah humbug. 

Day # 6 I'm making the typical breakfast. We are meeting up with my brother in law for dinner tonight and they want to go to ... wait for it... a pizza.freaking . place. Don't they know pizza is my all time kryptonite? Putting my bruised ego aside,  I glanced at the menu and luckily they have salad. I'm sure I'll get some looks when I bring out my homemade salad dressing... I think that could be a book title, "Have salad dressing... will travel".  

Wishing everyone the best of luck today. 

17 hours ago, Another Melissa said:

Congrats @Jim4884! Those result must me very motivating!

@Nshansen5 I'll have to look for the Tessemae's BBQ - probably only at Whole Foods again!

I already needed to get more eggs, ground turkey, peppers, and berries!  I'm flying through food pretty quickly.  

Me too! Making the chili today for day 6. I put mine in the crock again.. should be plenty hopefully for tomorrow's leftovers.  I've been eating that shredded chicken with everything for two days now and most of my cravings have subsided. I'm feeling a tad tired today. How about you guys?

2 hours ago, lilakay said:

@AlpineViking I have trouble with enough water myself. Lately, I’ve put half the amount of water I’m suppose to drink in the fridge. After I finish a bottle of water, I grab a LA Croix. I really enjoy the Passionfruit one. Some peeps do not like La Croix, but if you like bubbles in your water, then its really good. I also have to make little goals for myself, like “no coffee until you finish 32oz of water". I LOOOVE coffee... so that seems to help. 

@Another Melissa your food always looks so darn good! I hope you have started a blog. Not only do you make mouth-watering food but your pictures truly say a thousand words and make me want to try and whip up what you have created. Such talent! (You might have already said you are doing this... and if so, I apologize. No coffee yet. ) 

@Aurora Blue Oh nO! I’m so sorry that happened to you. Hope it gets fixed soon

@MissTraciI feel your pain. I have plans with my brother in law and his family tonight for dinner and I am sweating it. I’ve already turned down a pool party so I wont be tempted to drink. Luckily, its raining now, so that could be a blessing in  a disguise. I found these articles to be somewhat helpful:

http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/whole30-restaurant-survival-guide/

http://thewholecook.com/2016/01/09/eating-out-on-whole-30/

Day # 5 is done and in the books! Woke up without any neck and shoulder pain. This is the first time that has happened in months. I did a little happy dance.. Although, I felt a little cranky and irritated yesterday.I'm not sure why...  May be it was food envy? I don't know. Had my typical breakfast, lunch was left over ground turkey taco meat , salad and some fruit and then fajitas. Kinda stunk when the husband had the hulk of all burritos packed stuffed with sinfully delicious ingredients that should not be named because my mouth is salivating as I type this. bah humbug. 

Day # 6 I'm making the typical breakfast. We are meeting up with my brother in law for dinner tonight and they want to go to ... wait for it... a pizza.freaking . place. Don't they know pizza is my all time kryptonite? Putting my bruised ego aside,  I glanced at the menu and luckily they have salad. I'm sure I'll get some looks when I bring out my homemade salad dressing... I think that could be a book title, "Have salad dressing... will travel".  

Wishing everyone the best of luck today. 

Omg! My husband ordered pizza last night.  Lol. Grrrr. It felt good to pass on it though!

4 hours ago, Miss Kitty said:

Everybody holding strong??    We can do this!   

Wow... nice surprise this morning and reinforcement for following W30.   I have been watching my Blood Pressure slowly creep up this last year -- early morning --> 133/79, 134/82.     I was especially concerned about the increase in the  diastolic number.     This morning...  103/63 !   WHOOP! 

The food/recipes so far have all been super tasty.  Seems the secret is to prep, prep, prep food ahead.   Sure helps when feeling tired and cranky. 

Have a wonderful day!  

This is wonderful. I'm currently on bp meds and would love to come off. I haven't taken the blood pressure since I started, so maybe tomorrow morning! Yay for you:)

@lilakay Oh my goodness, you are so much stronger than me! I am currently driving different routes than normal around my city to avoid even seeing pizza places!  Thanks for the La Croix suggestion, I will check that out. Had some  Watermelon Perrier, not so great. Check out Tessemae's website, they have some great dressings and sell to go packs to help with the eating out dressing situation.   https://www.tessemaes.com/collections/to-go-packs

@WholeChristina I know the broken clock feeling well! I hope that improves, part of the food psychology thing for me for sure. And those lazy devils are delish, always the first to go around here too!

@MissTraci I got my Primal Kitchen goods at Whole Foods, they happen to have a sale, and it was all around $5 each, so I grabbed a bunch! Worth getting the WF app, saves some money now and again. 

@Nshansen5 @Another Melissa I picked up the BBQ sauce from a store here called Earth Fare, but they had some at Harris Teeter also. If you view their website, they have a store locator, but not all stores carry their whole lineup. The BBQ sauce is really good, plenty of spice flavor, and some sweetness from the dates. I highly recommend their original dressing and marinade, the Garlic Lemon. Zesty Ranch is pretty awesome too! https://www.tessemaes.com/ (I swear I don't work for them, ha ha, just a dig the family origin and tons of Whole 30 products that taste great!)

@Aurora Blue Hopefully you get your water back soon, that's no fun! 

Well, we had plans to go buy a new kayak and get out on the river or lake today, but it's rain rain! So I guess we will do the next best thing and go grocery shopping. Thanks for sharing all the great meal ideas everyone! Hope for some solid meal prep today and some sunshine tomorrow. Somehow slept in today after waking up early all week. Feeling less grumpy though, so that's good for everyone! 

Anyone else still feel like their brain is still reconstructing itself? It's not a fog, but just re-adjusting to some emotional and physical balancing, like the tracking on a VHS tape, or finding a clear station on a radio dial, ha ha! Enjoy the weekend,

@Jim4884 so great on the results. Congratulations. 

@misskitty I am there with you on the blood pressure. Just took mine this morning 124/84. Yay.  It's so funny when I call my doctor to confirm I can go off my blood pressure medicine he never understands and gets confused at why I don't need to take it anymore. Well maybe I should go to another doctor then   Lol

@AlpineViking there with you on crunchy stuff. Have you tried baking kale or any leafy veggie, Brussels sprout leaves, you can also do the sweet potatoes. 

@Aurora Blue I hope your water gets fixed.  My water heater broke and was without hot water for first three days. 

My post got interrupted and didn't want to lose it. 

@lilakay you got this on going out to eat at a pizza place. Love that you are bringing your own dressing. 

@AlpineViking I am so with you on the brain fuzz. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten something like my phone so I had to drive back & get it. Or just not being able to remember words. 

Today I am not doing so well. I am more sluggish & nauseous. Was wondering when that would hit. I think the candida is really starting to die off and that may be why. My biggest test is where I'm working today they have lots of pastries, muffins, fruits and things that I can't eat right now. They usually put them out back after the buffet is done. So I'm going to really have to make sure that I stay strong and not pops up in my mouth on the way by  

I am having some anxiety about preparing food. I am so busy that I just don't have the time. I went grocery shopping today and bought a whole bunch of food. It's now sitting in my refrigerator waiting to be cooked. I'm hoping to do some tomorrow and the next day. I am out of everything. I have no me prepared in anyway shape or form. I'm hoping to get a really big prep in.  I want to make a turkey meatloaf, a turkey kebab, tandoori chicken, grill up some chicken thighs, roast up some turkey breast, bake up & shred up the chicken for salads, and I have a whole bunch of veggies that I want to make. I also want to make some baba ghanouj, and a compliant sour cream,  mayonnaise, and some ketchup. I'm a little daunted by the list of what I want to do. Worst case scenario I put half the stuff in the freezer with an exception of the vegetables and try and do it throughout the week.  I just feel like I'm constantly trying to play catch-up with everything that I have to do and I'm running an hour late and a dollar short.

Anyone know a good turnip recipe? Trying it again I can't remember  if I like it and I want to make sure I like it before I make this yummy looking casserole dish. 

I have been noticing that I am not as bloated and can move around better without my belly getting in the way. I am also not as hungry as I thought I would be and can go longer without eating. I am really making sure I am doing the meal template and it is helping. 

Food for yesterday was  scrambled eggs with leftover asparagus and repeating

A salad with turkey. Dressing was an Apple cider vinegarette

and pictures here was my dinner which I must say help was the most yummiest of all the meals I've made this week. It's zucchini noodles with a compliant pesto and chicken.  I need to make more pesto because that was my last and I want to have some more 

have a great weekend everybody I'm working the whole weekend which is my usual operation. Everyone's food is looking fabulous and yummy tasty. 

IMG_6116.JPG

I had an hour long intense workout this morning and  couldn't stop snacking today. I'm guessing my portions arent big enough or I'm such a habitual snacker that I'm so used to it...All compliant things but I really don't want it to effect the weight loss portion of why I'm doing this... does anyone know how much the snacking really impacts things? 

Archived