Starting June 19th

Aurora Blue

http://paleomg.com/crockpot-carne-asada-loaded-fries/

@MissTraci  This carne asada is my new crockpot recipe favorite.  It makes great tacos for the family while I eat it over veggies or in lettuce wraps.  I get the package of flank steak from Costco and make a double + recipe.  It's not spicy - kid friendly.  I didn't make the other components though (fries and something else - just the meat).  I love Nom nom paleo and well fed websites for lots of good bulk meals (I also have the cookbooks).

@AlpineViking  Feel better!  I've done the cold + W30 before and it's not fun.  Hope you are on the mend soon!

@FoodIsGood  Thanks for the dump ranch recipe.  I'll give it a try for the BBQ this weekend.

Today has potential to be a little rough.  I have a monthly social group gathering tonight.  I'm not a night person by any stretch of imagination.  By the start at 7pm, I'll be dreaming of my PJs.  If I'm out and busy ... or out and drinking ... I do fine.  Sometimes the evening is a bit boring (depending on who's hosting and who comes) - sad to say.  It's a good group of ladies though and I like to stay connected to some I only see in this group.  I won't cancel because the host asked me to help her so I have a long evening ahead.  I'm bringing Lazy Devils - yum.  Food won't be a problem, but I will miss the perk-me-up glass of wine.  And, I'll have to give my why-I'm-not-drinking explanation a number of times.  Believe me - these gals notice!  I know I'll stay focused, I'm just whining because I really don't want to go!  I'm taking one for the team (and a friend).

I cooked up some basics last night.  Chicken, fish, hard boiled eggs, sweet potato and prepped some vegetables.  Nothing fancy.

I was light on vegetables yesterday and I want to do better today.  Tuesdays are a weird eating schedule for me with a noon workout and I was out of some of my go-to veggies.  Plus, I bought a big wedge of PERFECT watermelon at the store.  I couldn't resist.  It pushed all but a handful of green beans off my dinner plate.  I'm prepared today - and no watermelon left in the house.

Have a good day everyone!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh good grief.... didn't think I would ever be making 'homemade ketchup'!    

Love the challenge of W30 -- even the ups and downs.  Spent time yesterday creating a "Reintroduction schedule and diary" for us.  Realized that we will be on vacation the later half of the Reintroduction process.  We will have to do a lot of food-strategizing and preparation since I will be cooking for a houseful of 18 people. 

If you have any leads for large quantity W30 crockpot recipes  -- would love to have some ideas.  The Crockpot Carne Asada sounds perfect!!

Hi all! 

It's been a while but hubby and I are still holding strong! Psyched that we've made it to day 10!

I went to a drinking buddy's house warming last Saturday night. It was BYOB! I brought a bottle of wine and placed it with the others and drank ice water! It was catered by an Italian chef who asked why I wasn't eating.  I told him and he whipped up a hearty portion of sautéed spinach with evo garlic and lemon, very nice. Whoop Whoop!  Interestingly, my girlfriend was annoyed that I wasn't drinking. I guess misery loves company.  I'm so glad I went, I needed to prove to myself I could refrain even with pressure. It was truly empowering!

@AlpineViking Hope you're feeling better. My husband is also sick. We thought it might be the change in diet as well but he has sinusitis. He sounds terrible!

@sojurabbit I too made the mayo and it was awful. I didn't use light olive oil which has a much milder flavor. I went to the grocery store looking for premade mayo. Saw the Primal brand. I commented out loud on how expensive it was and a woman standing near by recommended another brand. It's by Hain Pure Foods for almost half the price for 24oz. She said she gave both brands to a friend and the friend said the Primal brand tasted a lot less like mayo than the Hains. I've not tasted the Primal but the Hains definitely taste like mayo. On the nutritional chart sugar isn't listed however in the ingredients it's made with canola oil, dehydrated cane juice and honey. Things we're re not suppose to have but it has to be traces if it's not listed on the chart right? What do you guys think?

Made the whole 30/Paleo breakfast casserole last night. Eggs, home made  sausage ( super easy to make) ,spinach, mushrooms, green onions. It's very good!

Nights are the toughest for us, we're used to snacking or drinking wine or both! That said, my husbands lost 5 lbs ( he keeps weighing himself even though he's not suppose to) we both feel better and I don't feel bloated and have a lot more energy especially at the end of the day when I normally crash. I'm getting up so much easier and making it to the gym so really happy about that.  Sleeping still isn't great but hopefully will get better.

I enjoy reading all your posts so keep it up! We're getting it done!:)

Things have been absolutely crazy for my trying to make food. I already out of most of my veggies and had to go shopping again today. I am now having to try to get creative of preparation because I am already getting sick of food. My meatloaf and Mediterranean kabobs did not turn out as yummy as I had hoped. I MISS Ketchup like you wouldn't believe. Meatloaf and ketchup are a marriage made in heaven. My only issue with doing as low carb veggies as I am is a lot if not most of the green veggies are biter I am finding.

I am so busy I have even forgotten what day I am lol. I am getting a lot of cravings for foods and it has been hard but I have been able to bypass it

Food today was 

turkey bacon, roasted turnip, & beet greens

chicken, sautéed kale, & french green beans (I don't like them and I am no longer pretending I do. So silly to keep buying something I keep saying I don't like)

Turkey meatloaf, artichoke (1/2), zucchini & yellow squash

I was hungrier today then the other days so I had to eat a small meal.

Ok it is tantrum time for me. I want to scream, cry, throw a fit. My house is a complete mess and I don't have time to clean. My desk looks like it vomited on it's self. I stupidly paid bill late because I have been so busy and overwhelmed that I forgot. I am so sick of chicken, turkey, and my veggies I could scream!!! I know this will pass but I just needed to express it. Mantra begin.....this too will pass....this too will pass...french fries.....no...this too will pass. :blink: 

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, EJSmadhatter said:

Things have been absolutely crazy for my trying to make food. I already out of most of my veggies and had to go shopping again today. I am now having to try to get creative of preparation because I am already getting sick of food. My meatloaf and Mediterranean kabobs did not turn out as yummy as I had hoped. I MISS Ketchup like you wouldn't believe. Meatloaf and ketchup are a marriage made in heaven. My only issue with doing as low carb veggies as I am is a lot if not most of the green veggies are biter I am finding.

I am so busy I have even forgotten what day I am lol. I am getting a lot of cravings for foods and it has been hard but I have been able to bypass it

Food today was 

turkey bacon, roasted turnip, & beet greens

chicken, sautéed kale, & french green beans (I don't like them and I am no longer pretending I do. So silly to keep buying something I keep saying I don't like)

Turkey meatloaf, artichoke (1/2), zucchini & yellow squash

I was hungrier today then the other days so I had to eat a small meal.

Okay, I read your other post too... eep!  First, where the heck is your fat?  That's where the flavor and fun is!  We don't count cooking fat because it gets left in the pan, split between portions... I would be a sad friend too if I didn't have fat... Also, if the turkey bacon and roasted greens was your breakfast, it's not enough food... I doubt sincerely you ate a palms worth (thickness x width x length) of turkey bacon... add some eggs and avocado to that and maybe some roasted potato or sweet potato... 

Mayo and a brown grainy mustard mixed together makes a lovely sauce... this coming from a fellow ketchup lover... I used to just eat things that you could have ketchup on just as a vehicle FOR ketchup so I get it... and may I say, don't bother with home made ketchup, it's not the same at all!

I bet any money your mood, crankiness, cravings and hunger would resolve if you added more fat to your meals and some starch at least once a day!

Also, why are you only eating chicken and turkey?  Eggs, fish, ground pork, scotch eggs (so good!) canned fish... mix it up if you can!

@SugarcubeOD Thanks I have been doing fat but I usually do it in olives, ghee, nuts , and I take an oil supplement as well for extra fat. I think I have forgotten to post the fat with the meal. The supplement has reduced my eczema and I have been taking it for years now. I know I need to cut down on the nuts though. I can't have avocados and have been trying to figure out where to get other fats besides olive, nuts, and just taking oil. Most of the condiments have garlic, onions and vinegar in them so I shouldn't be doing them. I can get away with small amount but not a lot. I can only have apple cider vinegar in small amount and unfortunately I have issue with citrus. You are right I don't think I ate enough for today. I am having to force food down me at this point because of boredom. My Dr is having me do a big candida hit for 10 days with the now fruit and starchy veggies. On Sun I will be able to add more foods like mild starchy veggies and fruit. The big issue for me has been time and since I have to make everything from scratch, including most condiments it has been hard. I am hoping to make baba ghanoj and pesto this week. This is the first whole 30 that I have done under such time and food constraint. I do feel like a sad friend but I will get through it. Any recommendations on other fats please let me know

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, EJSmadhatter said:

@SugarcubeOD Thanks I have been doing fat but I usually do it in olives, ghee, nuts , and I take an oil supplement as well for extra fat. I think I have forgotten to post the fat with the meal. The supplement has reduced my eczema and I have been taking it for years now. I know I need to cut down on the nuts though. I can't have avocados and have been trying to figure out where to get other fats besides olive, nuts, and just taking oil. Most of the condiments have garlic, onions and vinegar in them so I shouldn't be doing them. I can get away with small amount but not a lot. I can only have apple cider vinegar in small amount and unfortunately I have issue with citrus. You are right I don't think I ate enough for today. I am having to force food down me at this point because of boredom. My Dr is having me do a big candida hit for 10 days with the now fruit and starchy veggies. On Sun I will be able to add more foods like mild starchy veggies and fruit. The big issue for me has been time and since I have to make everything from scratch, including most condiments it has been hard. I am hoping to make baba ghanoj and pesto this week. This is the first whole 30 that I have done under such time and food constraint. I do feel like a sad friend but I will get through it. Any recommendations on other fats please let me know

Oh right, I completely forgot you were doing the candida hit... sorry!

How about mayo?  The pesto is a good idea... if you can have sundried tomatoes, Costco sells a big jar in olive oil and sometimes I just put a big scoop of them on what I"m eating (hello meatloaf!) so you get the oil from the jar plus the oil they soaked up so that's a good fat alternative.  Take a look at www.meljoulwan.com because she's got some great sauces... chimichurri and another one I can't remember... I would defo cut down on the nuts... instead of eating them raw in a salad in place of protein, if you were a little more stingy with them, you could have something like Sunshine Sauce for fat (same website).  It's not fat but are you allowed to have something like Frank's or similar compliant hot sauce?  It can kick up boring meals pretty good with just a touch... Also make sure you're salting your food, as you can tell, since you're making eveyrthing from scratch, if you don't add salt, then no only are things bland but you're doing yourself a disservice because the body needs sodium to survive.

You'll definitely get through it and you'll be happy friend again! Let me know if you need anything :)

Hello :)

I made it through the evening out last night with relative ease - it actually surprised me.  I was full when I got there and that helped a lot.  Seltzer water and lime all night long.  I was well hydrated!  

I noticed this morning that I'm in a particularly good mood (even with less-than-my-normal sleep).  I was whistling around the kitchen, happy about the day ahead, feeling excited as I brewed my tea ... for NO reason.  That IS W30!  FINALLY!  This round is taking me longer to get to the good stuff.  Maybe I'm turning the corner.  It might not last, but I'll take even a little bit of it. 

Food wise, it's the same left-overs remastered.  I'm gearing up for a number of recipes this weekend -- my grocery lists are building.

I have a barbell lift class this morning.  My energy feels good so I hope that translates in the workout.

Have a good one!!

8 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

Ok it is tantrum time for me. I want to scream, cry, throw a fit. My house is a complete mess and I don't have time to clean. My desk looks like it vomited on it's self. I stupidly paid bill late because I have been so busy and overwhelmed that I forgot. I am so sick of chicken, turkey, and my veggies I could scream!!! I know this will pass but I just needed to express it. Mantra begin.....this too will pass....this too will pass...french fries.....no...this too will pass. :blink: 

I'm really sorry to hear you are in a difficult patch right now!  I'm SO impressed by your resolve.  Hang in there (easy for me to say).  We're here cheering for you and always a place to rant out the frustrations.  One day EVERYTHING is hard, horrible and overwhelming and then you get a day that feels better and you know it can be done - W30 is a fickle gal sometimes.  I hope you get some relief soon and find some easier days in the mix.  

@Aurora Blue. That’s a really great question!!! The last time I did W30 was 2 years ago. DR. thought I was allergic to gluten, so we were trying to figure things out.  We did find out that I felt immensely better, however, it wasn't a gluten issue. Turns out I have endometriosis. Only took 2 painful years to figure THAT out.  Enough ranting about misdiagnosis...  There are so many more options then the last time I did it. So many great products are available now then there wasn’t before. That being said, I am not in this ‘honeymoon’ phase like I was last time. Last time, I was like "I LOVE WHOLE 30. Look at me.. this is EASY!" I don’t remember the first two weeks being THIS HARD! However, my husband said I did have a few sugar melt downs last time. He can remember THAT but not to take out the trash... lol. All kidding aside,  I’m just glad and thankful that so many more people are talking about it, writing about, positing about, and taking pictures. It’s nice not to be in the dark. I love the instagram account "emilyeatsrealfood" her pictures have been super helpful. I"m realizing that I"m making this way too hard on myself. I can do a lettuce 'sandwich' for lunch. Why am I trying to make a fancy schmancy lunch? I just got to remember to KEEP IT SIMPLE!! 

@MissTraci,  the pizza potato boat was really really good. A lot more prep work then unwrapping pizza or dialing a phone number but totally worth the work. It has completely kept the pizza monster at bay. I loaded it with my favorite toppings and even my husband even liked it. Granted, he added his favorite side, “CHEESE”. I was able to use my dump ranch as a dipper.  Here’s the recipe Pizza Potato skins. I think it could easily be kid-friendly dish and if they are old enough they can 'decorate' their own toppings. 

@EJSmadhatter First of all, welcome to the tantrum club! I'm feeling a bit scattered brain myself. I'm glad to know it's not just me... But, you got this!! One day at a time. 

Day # 10- Yesterday, I had a really really good day. I did my arts and craft thing and had a typical breakfast and an easier lunch than most days. Last night, we made "Hawaiian chicken kabobs" and it was delicious!! It was full of chicken, and onions, bell peppers, jalapeños, and pineapple. I marinated the hawaiian chicken in natural pineapple juice, added garlic, ginger, and used red boat fish sauce (i'm allergic to coconut) and it had EVERYTHING I wanted. I love the grill char on the fruits and veggies, the spiciness of the jalapeño gave it a real kick while the pineapple came to cool it down. I even took a picture... 

Day # 11- typical breakfast. Probably will have my hamburger patties, green beans, and salad for lunch. Dinner is left-over kabobs! I'm a snob... I hate leftovers. But i'm really excited about dinner tonight. The evenings have been super hard for me too. I love having wine, champagne with cranberry, or even a cider... With 4th of July coming up, I just want to burry my head in the sand and not do anything. I'm afraid of going to a party and being tempted. .. 

I can't remember who mentioned it but I was a person who looked on the scale all the time last w30. I am typically a person who is shackled to the scale... I always jump on first thing in the morning..  I can promise you this-DO NOT LOOK AT THE SCALE THIS UPCOMING WEEK... DON'T DO IT!  Last time, at  the end of the  second week, I hit a plateau and didn't loose anything. It was seriously deflating and I wanted to give up. I know we are quickly  approaching what I like to call the  'danger zone' and all I can say is trust me on this.. Celebrate the non scale victories... 

IMG_5535.JPG

@SugarcubeOD Thanks so much. The irony is I can't do tomatoes cooked or most peppers lol and i hate sundried tomatoes and not a huge fan of mustard. LOL Oh the injustice of my taste buds and the allergies. I will definitely look at www.meljoulwan.com. She has great recipes. Ya right now I am just in a pickle with all the allergies and things I am supposed to stay away from with the Whole30 & candida diet. I can't do the whole 30 sweeteners but I can do stevia but not on the whole 30. I have a great tomato alternative I can do but it has lecithin in it. I can do my protein shakes on candida but not on the whole 30. It is just ironic for me. I am hoping to get more time so i can do make my own sauces. I am just going to have to buckle up and toughen up and just do it. I am hoping to have more time this coming week because I have implemented a new schedule. Thank you so much for all your help you have been great and I appreciate you responding.

I went to Costco over the weekend and bought so much that I had to physically cram things in the fridge to get the door shut. It's Wednesday and my shelves are bare! I keep complaining about it but I am truly just so surprised by how much food I'm consuming (and cooking + cleaning)!  Seriously, I purchased a refrigerator for the garage a few days ago from the Costco website so that I can at least keep beverages separate and have extra storage!!  Maybe my portions are too big? I worry about my eating enough as I have read the problems associated with that so I find myself piling on heaping portions of greens, proteins, etc. and *feel* like I'm doing this right- I get no urges to snack but ready to eat at the next meal time. Some of this is just the nature of the food. For instance, I bought two very large bags of "power greens" which is a mixture of baby spinach, kale, and chard. Once I sautéed a bag and it turned to practically nothing and I had to add an additional bag of arugula from Trader Joe's and once cooked downed ALL of it ended up making only 2 portions!?!! Seems ridiculous. Perhaps I should try to cut my portions back and see how it goes.  Im probably having more fruit than I know is recommended and a few nights ago I had a dry roasted salted macadamia nut binge while watching Seinfeld' comedians in cars getting coffee... which was totally unnecessary bc of the salt, and the fat. 

So I have been experimenting with coconut oil and find that it has a pretty strong flavor. I Want to get used to it bc I find I can use a fraction of the amount as I would evoo in a pan to get the same cooking effect. But I've read people use it in their coffee, do you just drop a spoonful in hot coffee? I don't think I can handle oily residue in my morning cup. 

I made the cold matcha latte from nomnompaleo and it is really so good that I'm contemplating giving up my coffee in the mornings. (It does require the collagen peptides and nutpods, which were totally splurge items to purchase but I tried with coconut cream first and that was not so good) and it's really really good. If you like green tea ice cream, you'll be hooked...   

Just blurting out so many random thoughts!  But trying to put this in a box and away for the day as I find myself getting consumed by all thing w30. This is my first, and no slip ups yet.  Though I totally almost licked the lid of my son's noosa lemon yogurt this morning! Tongue was all hanging out as I brought the lid up before the alarm bells rang off in my head!  Noosa is so good and so expensive- but it went straight into the garbage. Phew. 

My thrivemarket box should arrive today. I ordered red boat fish sauce and a primal foods chipotle lime mayo so I'm hoping to be able to make yummier things going forward. which reminds me of all the cooking and cleaning ahead- again. And it means I need more veggies and provisions. So will have to hit sprouts before the weekend comes. 

I am really hoping that I find grains aren't a problem for me since that used to make up the largest part of my diet, and are cheaper, more convenient nutrient source than greens that wilt to nothing and go bad so quickly. 

Ugh! Feeling Cranky! Went to the gym it was great, had breakfast felt satisfied, now really irritable.

l'm sick of drinking water, and black tea! It's soooooo boring!

In addition my soon to be 14 yr old son is dancing on my last nerve!

I know I can get through this day just don't want it to be irritating! Argh!

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, sojurabbit said:

I bought two very large bags of "power greens" which is a mixture of baby spinach, kale, and chard. Once I sautéed a bag and it turned to practically nothing and I had to add an additional bag of arugula from Trader Joe's and once cooked downed ALL of it ended up making only 2 portions!?!! Seems ridiculous. Perhaps I should try to cut my portions back and see how it goes. Cutting back your portions is not the answer... greens cook down, that's just how they are, which is why we tell people that if you're going to eat them for your veggie, consider their volume steamed down because THAT is how much actual food you get... 

Im probably having more fruit than I know is recommended and a few nights ago I had a dry roasted salted macadamia nut binge while watching Seinfeld' comedians in cars getting coffee... which was totally unnecessary bc of the salt, and the fat.  We'd be more concerned about the psychology of the binge than the salt and fat... we're not salt/fat phobic here but we do discourage hand to mouth snacking because it's a habit that doesn't serve people.  Also, nuts can be very gut disruptive so we recommend limiting them.

I made the cold matcha latte from nomnompaleo and it is really so good that I'm contemplating giving up my coffee in the mornings. (It does require the collagen peptides and nutpods, which were totally splurge items to purchase but I tried with coconut cream first and that was not so good) and it's really really good. If you like green tea ice cream, you'll be hooked...   I'm glad you liked this but it's really on the razor's edge of compliance for the Whole30... coconut water is for endurance athletes or those working outside in the sun really... its basically a light fruit juice... the fact that you say you'll be hooked if you like a certain kind of ice cream is a key indicator... it's nice for a treat, but you wouldn't be doing yourself a service having this daily.

@WholeChristina Thank you  for the carne crockpot recipe.  I saved this on my phone to make next week!  I've also noticed an improvement in mood the past few days.  So thankful to be turning a corner from my moodiness! (Fingers crossed!)

@lilakayThose pizza boats look delish!  I plan to make them next week.. glad you loved them!   Also, I'm a scale addict too.  It has been a relief not to be able to step on the scale every day.  My morning weigh ins prior to whole30 have ruined many mornings for me sadly.   I may stick to not weighing myself long term.  I honestly love not being tied to a number.  I can tell my clothes fit a little better but certainly nothing drastic yet.

http://mixandmatchmama.com/2017/02/sheet-pan-supper-roasted-sausage-potatoes-veggies/  I'm making this sheet pan dinner tonight.  I've made it before prior to whole30 and it is super good.  I'm subbing the protein for compliant Italian sausage I found at publix and skipping the PAM in favor of greasing with coconut oil. 

So I had a big win last night!  I have been trying to break my snack habit so hard.  I am a chronic snacker normally.  Well since whole30 I have cut out my morning and afternoon snacks but still struggle in the time between dinner and bed.  I'm a huge Big Brother fan and my husband and I normally watch all the episodes together and we snack during it.  Ugh.  Well last night I made myself a cup of hot tea and that was it.  Yay!!!  I made sure to have a big dinner with plenty of fat, veggies and protein.  I ate more than I normally would at dinner, but made it without snacking last night.. WIN!!

38 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. So sautéed greens are just an expensive way to eat veggies!  got it.

OH no regarding the matcha latte - thought it was more whole30, thus better, than my usual french press coffee, black, bc it came from a widely cited source. I am certainly no endurance athlete at my desk all day.   I will save that for the occasional 'treat'.  

Mods, what is your take on the collagen peptides?  I have added this to my now occasional matcha lattes, and my almond milk chia pudding. But is it something I should limit as well? or try to incorporate daily? Thanks

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, sojurabbit said:

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. So sautéed greens are just an expensive way to eat veggies!  got it.

OH no regarding the matcha latte - thought it was more whole30, thus better, than my usual french press coffee, black, bc it came from a widely cited source. I am certainly no endurance athlete at my desk all day.   I will save that for the occasional 'treat'.  

Mods, what is your take on the collagen peptides?  I have added this to my now occasional matcha lattes, and my almond milk chia pudding. But is it something I should limit as well? or try to incorporate daily? Thanks

Collagen peptides are fine and you can take them every day, but you may want to also rethink that chia pudding... we don't recommend it, sorry... I know, I'm being a fun sucker today! 

also, for those reading, this is a good example of why even tho it comes from a 'paleo blogger' that uses whole30 hashtags, you need to ask yourself if the item is in the spirit of the rules and recommendations of the Whole30... Nom Nom has lots of great recipes that ARE whole30 but like many bloggers, there are also 'treats' and other SWYPO items that are not on for the program but are still tagged and marketed as Whole30.

Ok thanks! I will have to be more vigilant.

I think I know the answer to this but one last clarification on the chia pudding. I Totally get the concept of swypo, BUT what if I'm using the chia pudding for those times that I can't incorporate the starchy vegetable into the meal template? I was never a potatoes person in any form. Sweet potatoes are slightly more palateable but only slightly. I just don't like potatoes.  My favorite starchy vege is beets, roasted and peeled with salt. But I go through these very quickly :) and can't always get to the store again when I'm out. (plus I am not totally confident that beets at every meal is ok since they are so massively high in sugars).

Often, maybe too often, my meal contains the protein, the veges, and the fat but missing the starchy vege and that's when I allow myself a chia pudding side which is made with almond milk and topped with fresh berries and almond slivers. 

Your thoughts?

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, sojurabbit said:

Ok thanks! I will have to be more vigilant.

I think I know the answer to this but one last clarification on the chia pudding. I Totally get the concept of swypo, BUT what if I'm using the chia pudding for those times that I can't incorporate the starchy vegetable into the meal template? I was never a potatoes person in any form. Sweet potatoes are slightly more palateable but only slightly. I just don't like potatoes.  My favorite starchy vege is beets, roasted and peeled with salt. But I go through these very quickly :) and can't always get to the store again when I'm out. (plus I am not totally confident that beets at every meal is ok since they are so massively high in sugars).

Often, maybe too often, my meal contains the protein, the veges, and the fat but missing the starchy vege and that's when I allow myself a chia pudding side which is made with almond milk and topped with fresh berries and almond slivers. 

Your thoughts?

Nothing about the chia pudding is a starch. Almond milk and the almonds and the actual seeds are fats. The berries topping it is carbs, yes, but not at all what we recommend when we say 'starchy vegetable'. Also if you are concerned about the sugar content of beets, the sugar content of berries would be a direct replacement, no?

A meal containing protein, vegetables and fats is a complete meal.  Try to add starchy veggies once per day to start. Roasted carrots, winter squash, turnip, rutabaga etc are also starches.

I'm so excited I had to tell you all about my evening. I have mild scoliosis but for the last 20 years it has played havoc with my back. I've been going to the chiropractors all that time and now just go for maintenance and a monthly massage as I get very knotted and unbalanced. So I went tonight and after about 10 minutes my therapist, who I've been seeing for 4 years, stopped and commented that my back was feeling really good, in fact it was the best she had ever felt it. So she asked me if I'd been doing anything different since I'd last seen her a few weeks ago and I told her about the Whole30. She thinks it has definitely had a huge impact on my back muscles already and can't wait to see how I am in a month. 

This is a massive deal for me as I have lived with chronic back pain for nearly half my life and I hoped that the Whole30 might help a little. 

So happy :D:D

Wow, aurora blue, that is awesome! Have you been doing anything else differently or anything else change like sleeping habits, or exercise? I don't doubt that nutrition through whole30 can bring relief of many things but 20 years? And it hasnt even been 2 weeks yet ?!? that is really so amazing. 

Happy for you regardless!

@Aurora Blue  Wow. Just. Wow.  That's fantastic ... it really does "start with food."  :)

I'm checking in tonight since I'll be MIA tomorrow.  I'm picking up a foster dog in the morning who will need a lot of TLC and the first day can be a rough one (for both of us).  

I'm glad I have a freezer with W30 meals to carry me over - just in case.  The weekend just got a lot busier.

Today was the easiest day so far - knock wood.  My happy mood stayed with me and my energy was good during my workout.  I'm heading to bed early tonight to rest up after a short night last night.  I finished up my shopping list for the bbqs this weekend and am looking forward to some yummy food (dump ranch and the lime drink top my list!).  

Just thinking about bed has me yawning!  Guess it's time. ;)  Have a good one!

@Ljoatl I'm thinking the mayo you asked about earlier is out- the honey and other sugar as ingredients make it non-compliant, even if sugar is "0" on the nutrition label.  It's SO hard to find prepared sauces with absolutely no sugar in any form added!  Or they are $6 minimum :wacko: Yikes!

Day 12 for me and I felt a lot more energy today! Also a small NSV for me: I have mild psoriasis on my scalp only and it's gone.  Totally gone.  I've suspected dairy as the culprit for a while, so I'm curious to see what happens during reintroduction.    

@Aurora Blue love your NSV for your back!  How encouraging! 

1 hour ago, Another Melissa said:

@Ljoatl I'm thinking the mayo you asked about earlier is out- the honey and other sugar as ingredients make it non-compliant, even if sugar is "0" on the nutrition label.  It's SO hard to find prepared sauces with absolutely no sugar in any form added!  Or they are $6 minimum :wacko: Yikes!

Day 12 for me and I felt a lot more energy today! Also a small NSV for me: I have mild psoriasis on my scalp only and it's gone.  Totally gone.  I've suspected dairy as the culprit for a while, so I'm curious to see what happens during reintroduction.    

@Aurora Blue love your NSV for your back!  How encouraging! 

I'm sure you're right. Thanks for the feedback.

Archived