Pure Wraps

Kirsteen

For those of you whou've tried Pure Wraps, are they any good? I gave up gluten about 12 years ago and the thing I've missed most, I think, is tortillas and wraps. I never found any gluten free ones really worth eating. I'm not going back to commercial gluten free food, it's so full of crap but I found a UK supplier for Pure Wraps.

Adding in the postage it's going to be quite expensive so it would only be for an odd treat. So basically before I order I'd like to know, are they worth eating, how long do they keep and do they freeze well?

• Moderators

I used a pack of them about a year ago. I bought another pack a few weeks ago, but haven't got around to using them yet. As I recall, they don't have much taste. They function as edible wrappers without adding much to the eating experience. I had trouble with the stuff I wrapped them with falling out and the eating process being a bit of a mess, but I have no experience creating wraps and I was probably trying to put too much in each wrap. They aren't very big.

I splurged and bought some. They are far from SWPO, slw600 (but you're so right that they are sometimes described like they are this good). Tom's post sums it up. If they were really great, they wouldn't be still sitting in my cabinet waiting to be used. I'll just take my Whole30 chicken salad, egg salad and such, straight out of a bowl - yum!

I would suggest getting a copy of Paleo Comfort Foods instead. Then you'll have the recipe and instructions for making their tortillas (egg whites and coconut flour only, if I remember correctly). They are good enough for breakfast wraps, enchiladas or even wrapping up some avocado tuna salad, but not so good that you'd eat them plain or anything. They do the job (and maybe are a better post-whole30 food if you have issues). Cheaper than pure wraps and you get all the other yummy recipes in the book as a bonus. ;)

I will mention that they are incredibly time-consuming to make, so they are not likely to become a new addiction anytime soon!

I actually like them. I use them for chicken salad and tuna salad wraps. They are expensive, and quite small, both true. Sometimes I eat two. But certainly too pricey to do that every day! Sometimes I'm just in the mood and they hit the spot.

I agree with kt1969: I like them. I spread my filling in a row. then fold up the end of the row and then fold up the other two sides so it makes a burrito like pocket for the filling. They are expensive, but for a once in awhile wrap they are great. I especially like the Curry ones.

• 3 weeks later...

guys, I found a great alternative to the very expensive pure wrap.

Egg wraps:

5 eggs

1/2 c almond meal

1 tsp salt

Whisk ingredients together and pour a small amount into the bottom of a heated, buttered pan. You may have to whirl it around so it spreads out and gets thin - if not, you'll have a pancake. When edges brown, give it a flip very gently. You could probably use a crepe maker as well.

the recipe makes about 3 large wraps or 4 medium or 5 small... I just used a flat ended wooden spoon to gently spread the batter out and flipped them after about 45 seconds in a medium-low heated pan.

Make them the night before and a tuna or chicken salad ... just wouldn't wrap them the night before... just bring a fork or something with you so you can make the wraps right as you eat them. or I'm afraid they will fall apart.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems an awful lot of bother to go to and i just know I'd scald myself wringing the water out of them :(. I agree with her, lettuce wraps are soooo much easier :) Personally I think SWYPO is always a bit of a personal thing. These do seem a bit pancakey but the ingredients are good and they could easily fit into the meal template so decide, are you craving tortillas and subbing these until you can get back to the *real* thing, are they going to be brakes-off food you can't stop eating or are you just trying to be creative cooking veg? :P

Has anyone tried these? Would their SWYPO status be on an individual basis?

http://slimpalate.co...ee-gluten-free/

I tried these with herbs and curry powder. They were too fragile and they don't keep well. Maybe I did something wrong. I ended up rolling them like sushi with sliced meat and sauce. It was tasty, but too much of a trouble with trying not to ruin them. I might give it another try with this recipe. I find that just making a crepe kind of omelette works the best. My favorites are Savory Crepes With Garlic & Rosemary Roasted Veggies and Spinach crepes. Note - second one needs modifying, it's not absolutely whole30 compliant, just skip the seeds, honey and use WHOLE eggs, no whites only crap. Oh I also liked "crepes" made from spaghetti squash filled with shrimps and spinach. Have fun.

For me it's not a SWYPO as long as you use it to create a balanced meal. Crepes with veggies and some sort of meat/fish fit the template, while crepes with fruits and coconut cream don't. I think they are a great breakfast for kids who being transitioned to paleo diet.

Archived