Homemade Kombucha

anniejean83

I have started drinking kombucha every other day or so and I am interested in making it at home.  Is it more cost effective? This is the main reason I'd like to try it. Also wanted the Whole30 compliant way so I came to you all :) Additionally, I don't really like to drink a whole 16 oz. bottle in one sitting, or sometimes even one day. I have noticed a difference in taste after the bottle has been open for over 12 hours or so. Maybe it's the lower amount of carbonation but I do not enjoy it! I noticed that my grocery store sells it in a massive 4 serving (at least) container, so I am assuming that it is not harmful or less effective after being opened. Any input? 

https://whole30.com/2016/08/kombucha/

See jmcbn's post Whole 30 log for kombucha tips.  She's mastered kombucha brewing.  You can start on this page, scroll through - forwards and backwards, see what she did, step by step to arrive at her best brew.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/32759-9-belfast-bites/?page=19#comment-394077

• Moderators

It's definitely more cost effective to make it yourself. This site has a lot of good information. I have a continuous brew setup, which to me is easier than doing jars that have to be emptied and cleaned each week. I also like that while I can do a second ferment with flavors, I can also just have plain kombucha on tap. If you've found the big kombucha thread, it'll take you a while to read through, but there's all kinds of information, especially if you decide you want to grow your own scoby from a bottle of store bought kombucha. 

If you do make it yourself, you can bottle it in any size bottle you want, so you could get 8 oz mason jars or bottles if you wanted, so that it would be more consistent rather than sitting and getting flat, although you should know that sometimes when you first start making your own, it's not as fizzy, and depending on where you have it set up, at different times of year it may not get as fizzy. There are things you can do to control the temperature so it's more consistent, but even then it's not always 100% predictable, because it's a natural process that depends on so many variables that you can't always control completely. But it's kind of fun to play with new flavors and experiment with different teas and see what results you get.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2017 at 8:33 AM, anniejean83 said:

Additionally, I don't really like to drink a whole 16 oz. bottle in one sitting, or sometimes even one day. I have noticed a difference in taste after the bottle has been open for over 12 hours or so. 

I completely agree! I wish they sold Kombucha in an 8-oz bottle. Have you started brewing your own yet? How's that going? 

Archived