Beets and Urine/Stool

Hey, so my girlfriend and I baked some beets last night and I ate A TON of them. While we were eating them I remember telling her how I just I've read online that beets can turn peoples pee red. Thank god I told her this. I woke up in the middle of the night to go pee and decided not to flush so I wouldn't wake her up. She was very surprised this morning. My pee was really red haha.

I did some research and I was reading how it can be normal, your body not being able to break down the red dye, or from an iron deficiency. Since I got my blood tested this past November and my blood results were saying I was slightly over normal for iron, I disregarded the iron deficiency.

After looking into all that, I had to go #2 and noticed a good amount of red in my stool too. So, my question is should I stay away from beets? I really liked them a lot but I am worried if the red might mean I can't break something in the beets down should I stay away from it?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I don't know enough about the science behind that theory to definitively weigh in on either side, but I've never heard that explanation before.

I've actually always heard that it's a genetic thing; some folks have the enzyme to break down the beet dye, others don't. Either way, I don't believe it's a big deal; just keep eating beets!

I've actually always heard that it's a genetic thing; some folks have the enzyme to break down the beet dye, others don't. Either way, I don't believe it's a big deal; just keep eating beets!

Similarly some people get stinky pee after asparagus and some don't.

Archived